Marquette Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
lsatconfusion

New

Marquette Class of 2011

Post by lsatconfusion » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:29 pm

Anyone else going to be a 1L at Marquette this fall????

I am pretty excited and can't wait to visit the campus and city on April 5th (admitted students day/weekend)...anyone else going to this???

Thanks and take care

Lord Thomas

New

Re: Marquette Class of 2011

Post by Lord Thomas » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:37 pm

I've been accepted to Marquette, but I'm leaning toward going elsewhere.

I'm currently a student at a liberal arts college in Milwaukee, so if you have any questions about the city, let me know.

-Thomas

RonSantoRules

New

Post by RonSantoRules » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:58 pm

Last edited by RonSantoRules on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

lsatconfusion

New

Post by lsatconfusion » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:29 am

RonSantoRules wrote:I'd love to hear some thoughts about Marquette if anyone has them (other than no bar exam to practice in WI and the fact that it is second fiddle to UW in the state). I applied there because of their sports law program (ideally I would like to be an athletic director some day), but I also feel like I could get to the same place with a degree from somewhere else without the sports law focus. My only impression of Milwaukee is Summerfest about three years ago and watching the Cubs lose at Miller Park in '06.
My only comment on your post is that you should not overlook the potential connections that a well-established sports law program could supply for you.

And I second the request for additional comments on the school in general. My main question is, are 1Lers miserable? I recognize that is a stupid question because of course they are to some degree but I am hoping it is a school that its students are relatively happy to be attending.

DodgerDan

New

Post by DodgerDan » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:46 pm

I am highly considerring attending Marquette because of the Sports Law Program. I will be at the admitted students day on April 5th and look forward to learning and seeing the school. Right now, it looks as if I will be there next fall. Just waiting on a few of my California schools (my home state that might get a home field advantage if accepted.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:48 pm

DWYANE WADE!!!!!

that is all.

lsatconfusion

New

Post by lsatconfusion » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:07 am

anyone have any tips for apartments near the school???? any info is much appreciated

nvoight911

Bronze

Post by nvoight911 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:12 pm

lsatconfusion wrote:anyone have any tips for apartments near the school???? any info is much appreciated

The area directly around Marquette is sort of a ghetto area. There are some good, expensive apartments nearby, but those tend to be above restuarants, bars, etc. I would consider getting an apartment a little further downtown and commuting via bus. I go to UW-Milwaukee, so I don't have a ton of firsthand knowledge about Marquette, but I have friends who go there, so I think it's best if you are a law student to live downtown.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolWannaBe » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:46 am

nvoight911 wrote:
lsatconfusion wrote:anyone have any tips for apartments near the school???? any info is much appreciated

The area directly around Marquette is sort of a ghetto area. There are some good, expensive apartments nearby, but those tend to be above restuarants, bars, etc. I would consider getting an apartment a little further downtown and commuting via bus. I go to UW-Milwaukee, so I don't have a ton of firsthand knowledge about Marquette, but I have friends who go there, so I think it's best if you are a law student to live downtown.
There is quite a bit of safe housing in the Marquette area. Kind of pricey, but so is the rest of downtown.

A buddy lives in The Loft or whatever (he's in UG) and that's pretty nice. It's right on the border of safe/unsafe areas, but he hasn't had any problems in 2+ years.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lsatconfusion

New

Post by lsatconfusion » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:29 pm

LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:
nvoight911 wrote:

There is quite a bit of safe housing in the Marquette area. Kind of pricey, but so is the rest of downtown.

A buddy lives in The Loft or whatever (he's in UG) and that's pretty nice. It's right on the border of safe/unsafe areas, but he hasn't had any problems in 2+ years.

2040 Lofts? I have scheduled a visit for that place. Any word on how loud that place is?

LawSchoolWannaBe

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolWannaBe » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:51 pm

I'll find out and get back to you. I think it's kind of pricey (for Milwaukee), but it's gorgeous in the inside.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolWannaBe » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:14 pm

From what my friend said, it's not too bad. I've been in there a few times, and never once was it loud. In fact, I'm not sure I ever really heard anything or anyone...

AVSexton

New

Post by AVSexton » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:01 pm

The biggest thing I can say:

Don't rent anything owned/managed by Katz properties. Quite possibly the worst landlords ever. I'm withholding my rent for April, May and June (remainder of my lease) to force them to bring me to court so that I can try to shred them for some of the crap they've pulled.

Edit: Worst landlords ever in regards to a corporation, anyway. I don't mean to compare them to some of the slumlords in Milwaukee, because they certainly aren't that bad.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KristinLaw

New

Post by KristinLaw » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:17 pm

Is there a chance that I'll be able to rent a house? It looks like I'll be at Marquette in the fall as well!

prach

New

Post by prach » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:32 pm

i got accepted today. :) it said in the letter the dean will be contacting me with more info. do you know what form of communication this will be (phone, snail mail, email, etc)? also, does scholarship info come later? do you know if they help pay for travel expenses to visit? thanks and congrats to all!

lsatconfusion

New

Post by lsatconfusion » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:46 pm

Congrats! The next communication on their part came via mail in the form of a comprehensive packet. But I was initially so excited to get the process rolling that I phoned in and expressed my interest in planning a visit. The ASW is April 5th. And yes, they will reimburse flight costs up to $250 and only those that arrive into MKE (main Milwaukee airport). Original receipt required for reimbursement and it will be given to you after receipt of your second deposit due in July (1st deposit due by April 15th)

Congrats again.....see ya in Milwaukee!

prach

New

Post by prach » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:17 pm

thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nvoight911

Bronze

Post by nvoight911 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:53 pm

While you're in Milwaukee, try to make time to visit our kick ass Art Museum! I'm not a big art fan, but it really is a treat! Also, if anyone has questions about hotels I would be more than happy to answer them!

hurley325

New

Post by hurley325 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:30 pm

awesomepossum wrote:D**** W***!!!!!

that is all.
How can you even mention that flopping cry babies name when you have a picture of Devin Harris as your picture? "Fall 7 times, get up 8...except when his team isn't very good and he doesn't feel like playing any more, or when he has to get wheeled off the court crying like a baby"

I understand Devin Harris isn't a Maverick anymore, but he was still a part of the team 2 years ago during that travesty.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aySGUzzxjGE

*As you can see, that is still a sore spot for some Maverick fans.*

PS: I applied and was accepted to Marquette as well. I was interested in their sports law program. Unfortunately, coming from Texas, I think I've decided that it is just too cold when I've got a couple warmer options on the table. It sounds like a really good school though, especially some of the recent large donations that they have received and the new law building coming in a couple years.

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:42 pm

I got to UG here. The 2040 lofts are the best place to live but it is on the other end of the campus (~10 blocks from law school) There is good housing available closer to the law school around the Public Library. You can rent a house and it works out to be much cheaper with 3-4 roommates (I pay about 500/month). As for the social life, there are some good bars on water street. The bars on campus are usually filled with UG students.

PM me if u need any specific info about the area.

gsabs

New

Post by gsabs » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:47 pm

anyone know when the second deposit is due? i'm on the waitlist and was just curious to know when my chances of getting in could possibly go up.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DodgerDan

New

Post by DodgerDan » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:45 pm

The second deposit was due June 3rd.

serenata

New

Post by serenata » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:02 pm

Anyone with good news getting off the WL?

mandingo

New

Post by mandingo » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:18 pm

Also - a decent place to visit on Friday nights is Timbuktu ...

belladona

New

Post by belladona » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:21 pm

I just got in with some money and was wondering if there were any current Marquette Law students out there on TLS!

If so can you tell me about the atmosphere at Marquette? How about WI? Also how flexible is the University with giving more $ in scholarships?

THANKS!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”