Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
mes789

New

Re: Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011

Post by mes789 » Sat May 10, 2008 2:04 pm

LBCLawGirl wrote:wait has everyone already gotten the email to sign up for the social network thing? should i feel left out that i havent gotten mine yet? :( haha.

I just got mine this morning, it's kind of a cool site.

bowandarrow20

New

Post by bowandarrow20 » Sat May 10, 2008 5:46 pm

I got mine yesterday and signed up as well, doesn't look like there's too many people on it yet, but I'm sure more will come!

Didn't get my 2nd deposit yet, but maybe that's because on on the East Coast.

bowandarrow20

New

Post by bowandarrow20 » Sat May 10, 2008 9:42 pm

wheretoattend wrote:Hey guys~
First time posting on TLS, but I've been long fan of TLS and appreciating all the inputs you guys have been giving to newbies like myself =)
Well to make a long story short, I'm in one of those full sticker T1 (I've narrowed it down to Minnesota) vs. LLS ($18K annual) debate.......
I've been living in So Cal all my life and would like to start a career here, although not set in stone..... and I know the prospects are good for LLS as long as you finish in top 10-15% of class (BIGLAW), but what about mid level? Realistically, what are the chances for a decent job after graduating around 50% from LLS?
Would it be significantly different from top 20ish school such as Minnesota and would that justify me pay full sticker + living expenses?
I have been going back and forth, back and forth and this is really driving me crazy like you wouldn't believe =(

I thank you all in advance for your input and time.
Minnesota's technically out of the T14, but still has great national reputation to help you get a job in SoCal, it's just most of their graduates get jobs in the Midwest and around that area. In my opinion, 18k is not a lot, and I would actually personally choose a higher ranked school like Minnesota. I actually chose Loyola (nothing) over USD (with 20k+). Minnesota is a lot higher ranked and job prospects may be much higher (nationally), but it could depend on how much you like SoCal.

It really depends on what you consider a "decent" job. Nearly everyone gets jobs, but job satisfaction and your actual salary varies. If you want more info on mid law, or medium law, consider checking:

--LinkRemoved--

or

http://intranet.lls.edu/careerservices/ ... tstats.pdf

The nice thing about Loyola is that they give you the statistics on everyone who graduates.

Finally done with finals so I can focus on Loyola!

Lakersfan

New

Post by Lakersfan » Sun May 11, 2008 2:12 am

i havent received an invitation to the social network :|

pretz

New

Post by pretz » Mon May 12, 2008 6:25 pm

neither have I :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

publicservant101

New

Post by publicservant101 » Mon May 12, 2008 7:05 pm

did you guys send in your deposits? maybe they are still being processed?

snowboarder2713

Bronze

Post by snowboarder2713 » Mon May 12, 2008 7:34 pm

Nah I haven't sent in my second seat deposit yet. There's only 81 members of the network, so maybe it's just rolling out really slow?

Lakersfan

New

Post by Lakersfan » Mon May 12, 2008 8:20 pm

I haven't sent in my second deposit but I got the invitation today :)

8)

json

New

Post by json » Mon May 12, 2008 11:15 pm

hey guys i was wondering if anyone was taking out a gradplus loan? If so which lender and why? im really confused with this SH**T. i know this should be going into the financial aid forum, BUT these lenders are from Loyola's website and it would really be helpful if i could get some input from some fellow Tigers. here are the lenders listed
Thanks in advance!

Access Group

All Student Loan

Bank of America

Chase

Citibank

Edamerica

GRADInvest

Key Bank

Nellie Mae

Sallie Mae/Law Loans

US Bank

Wells Fargo

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

snowboarder2713

Bronze

Post by snowboarder2713 » Tue May 13, 2008 10:19 am

I'm choosing citibank because that's where all my loans came from for undergrad. I figured taking it out from the same place would simplify everything once I have to start repaying all my loans.

Every lender has its ups and downs, but I think the differences between all of them are probably so small that it doesn't matter too much. You can look at each one and see what kinds of discounts you can get if you sign up for automatic payments after law school and other benefits like that, but really for me, it's too much of a hassle to go through each one and try to find the best program that could save me a few hundred dollars 20 years down the road. I just came to the assumption that if it's on Loyola's preferred lender list (which all of them that you posted are), it's legit. Yes, this may be a little irresponsible if I didn't know anything about the company, but citibank is a huge company that I don't really have to worry about (knock on wood) screwing me over.

mes789

New

Post by mes789 » Tue May 13, 2008 11:07 am

I'm going to try to go with ALL Student Loan, it's a California non-profit company and they have good deals/rebates for students who attend school in California. I personally wanted to go with a non-profit (Access Group is too) because I figured they would have less financial incentive to screw me, as Sockpuppet once said, non-profits don't have to answer to shareholders, so they may not (hopefully) be as inclined to adopt policies that try to wiggle out of giving you better interest rates or they may be more willing to work with you if you have to miss a payment, etc down the road. (Notice the use of the conditional tense throughout this paragraph :wink: )

I'd do a Google search on whatever companies you are considering and see if there are any horror stories, if you Google "Sallie Mae complaint", you will see what I'm talking about.

publicservant101

New

Post by publicservant101 » Tue May 13, 2008 2:09 pm

snowboarder2713 wrote:Nah I haven't sent in my second seat deposit yet. There's only 81 members of the network, so maybe it's just rolling out really slow?
sorry i meant the first deposit.
json wrote: it would really be helpful if i could get some input from some fellow Tigers.
ahem. you mean lions?

snowboarder2713

Bronze

Post by snowboarder2713 » Tue May 13, 2008 2:18 pm

publicservant101 wrote:
snowboarder2713 wrote:Nah I haven't sent in my second seat deposit yet. There's only 81 members of the network, so maybe it's just rolling out really slow?
sorry i meant the first deposit.
json wrote: it would really be helpful if i could get some input from some fellow Tigers.
ahem. you mean lions?
Ah, yea then I don't know the answer to that one. You probably need to send in your first seat deposit, but it does seem like they're gradually rolling the system out.

Lions, tigers, and bears? Oh my! (Sorry just way too tempting.)

On a side note, I may, grudgingly, have to change my profile icon if Hillary drops out of the race soon. It'll be the first really smart decision for the Dems in a while...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

publicservant101

New

Post by publicservant101 » Wed May 14, 2008 2:26 pm

oh hush :P

gm907

New

Post by gm907 » Thu May 15, 2008 3:29 pm

So have you guys figured out the monthly loan payment at graduation yet? Can any finance people do the calc for me?

And I don't think Loyola is very honest in their statistics. They don't tell you that not everyone provided salary information. The 2009 US News says that of the people who went into private practice (like 60%? not sure), and who provided salary information (59%), the median salary was $80,000.

So the median salary for 36% (59% x 60%) of the graduates was $80,000. These are the top 36% too, salarywise, as (a) private practice pays more than government, and (b) people who report salary information generally make more than those who didn't.

No clue how the other 64% fared.

gm907

New

Post by gm907 » Fri May 16, 2008 10:21 pm

Anyone know of a politically correct way to ask for just a few thousand bucks? I will probably have to go to Loyola, as it's the only LA school I got into. Even $5,000 would help a ton. They're giving people full scholarships. They have to be able to throw a few grand my way, no?

LBCLawGirl

New

Post by LBCLawGirl » Mon May 19, 2008 1:51 am

a well worded letter to the financial aid office might be a good start? i know someone who negotiated their way to an extra 5k in scholarship $$$ last year with a simple letter stating their interest in attending loyola but how financial constraints and other higher offers they had recieved from other schools were standing in their way. i tried it myself and didnt get anything, but you may have better luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gm907

New

Post by gm907 » Tue May 20, 2008 4:02 pm

But how do you make it clear that ever a few grand would help? I don't want them to think "oh this guy wants $30,000 so we'll have to say no."

mes789

New

Post by mes789 » Tue May 20, 2008 4:18 pm

Why don't you simply say something along the lines of "anything would help"? Also, I wouldn't count on getting much or anything at all, they seem to be pretty stingy in that department.

bowandarrow20

New

Post by bowandarrow20 » Tue May 20, 2008 7:50 pm

Yeah people actually have said Loyola have been stingy, but there are also stories of people who have gotten money as well, so it's not impossible. I actually tried but also did not get any money. My loans were also terrible *Sigh*.

gm907

New

Post by gm907 » Tue May 20, 2008 8:19 pm

bowandarrow20 wrote:Yeah people actually have said Loyola have been stingy, but there are also stories of people who have gotten money as well, so it's not impossible. I actually tried but also did not get any money. My loans were also terrible *Sigh*.
Make sure you do Grad Plus.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

snowboarder2713

Bronze

Post by snowboarder2713 » Tue May 20, 2008 10:08 pm

I came home from college today and found the latest recent mass mailing from LLS with the post it notes inside. Yea, so sweet.

feed09

New

Post by feed09 » Wed May 21, 2008 2:31 am

Hey everyone,

I'm new to TLS; in fact I only know about the site because this thread came up on a Google search when I was looking for the LLS new admits weblog at work. But I figured I'd take the opportunity to say hi and announce my camaraderie as an incoming student at LLS.

snowboarder2713

Bronze

Post by snowboarder2713 » Wed May 21, 2008 11:32 am

Welcome! Feel free to join the facebook group too. If you need the LLS blog, just PM me and I'll send it your way.

gm907

New

Post by gm907 » Wed May 21, 2008 3:20 pm

snowboarder2713 wrote:I came home from college today and found the latest recent mass mailing from LLS with the post it notes inside. Yea, so sweet.
Are you being sarcastic dood?

http://www.amazon.com/3M-2051-FLT-Post- ... s_op_img_5

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”