Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
bowandarrow20
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:56 pm

Re: Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011

Postby bowandarrow20 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:54 pm

I got my estimated award letter too! It was just one page, and I didn't get any scholarships, and I didn't get the max amount in loans, I got about half (perkins, subsidized/unsubsidized stafford loans).

I guess to accept I'll now have to go to https://technology.lls.edu/finaid/ ?

User avatar
snowboarder2713
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:59 pm

Re: Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011

Postby snowboarder2713 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:31 pm

You can find all the information we need to do it on this link.

--LinkRemoved--

have fun!

User avatar
iammyid
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:49 pm

Re: Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011

Postby iammyid » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:47 pm

You guys received Perkins loans? Is this different from Stafford loans?

I received two sources on my Fin Aid letter from LLS. One for a Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan and one for a Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. But no Perkins loan. I wonder what's up with that? I'm broke! I made way less than $15,000 last year. Furthermore, I received a Perkins loan from a different law school. This financial aid process is quite a pain.

jm3four
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:54 pm

Re: Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011

Postby jm3four » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:59 pm

In my financial aid letter, I also got the perkins and stafford loans (sub and un-sub, but there was no mention of the grad plus loans. Does Loyola go about this different because in a few others statements I received from other law schools, they also list the grad plus loan which makes up the majority of the amount.

User avatar
snowboarder2713
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:59 pm

Re: Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011

Postby snowboarder2713 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:19 pm

Grad plus loan you have to apply for wherever you go. Some people can get denied it based on negative credit (poor credit, you can probably still get it, but if you've like filed for bankruptcy 5 times, you could be screwed). Plus, you can apply for whatever you want from the Grad Plus loans up to cost of attendance minus stafford and perkins loans. So if you only want to take out a couple grad, that's ok. Here's the rundown on all the scholarship info:

Federal Subsidized Stafford loan

* Annual maximum up to $8,500 depending upon student's financial aid eligibility.
* Government pays the interest while the student is in school and for six months after the student graduates or drops below half time status.
* Fixed interest rate of 6.8%.
* Subject to origination and guarantee fees of up to 3% (deducted from loan proceeds).

Federal Unsubsidized Stafford loan

* Annual maximum up to $20,500 minus subsidized Stafford eligibility.
* Student incurs the interest while in school but is not required to make payments until six months after graduating or dropping below half time status.
* Same interest rate, origination and guarantee fees as Subsidized Stafford loan.

Federal Perkins loan

* Awarded to a limited number of students based on financial need and fund availability.
* Interest rate is fixed at 5%.
* Interest on the loan is deferred and repayment begins nine months after the student graduates or drops below half time status.

Federal Graduate PLUS loan (GPLUS)

* You may borrow up to the annual cost of attendance minus any other financial aid received.
* Interest rate is fixed at 8.5% (may be reduced by up to 1.25% through lender incentives).
* Mandatory 3% origination fee (deducted from loan proceeds).
* Student incurs the interest while in school but is not required to make payments until six months after graduating or dropping below half time status.
* While credit history is a major factor in being approved for this loan, the credit criteria is considered less stringent than that of most private loans. Thus, we strongly recommend that you obtain credit reports by contacting:


But no Perkins loan. I wonder what's up with that? I'm broke! I made way less than $15,000 last year. Furthermore, I received a Perkins loan from a different law school.


There could be many reasons for this. Because you did make some money last you are you EFC is probably more than 0, Loyola may have decided that there were other people who needed it more. It is based on availability, so maybe they just handed all of that Perkins funds out already (or plan to).

User avatar
mes789
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:40 am

Re: Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011

Postby mes789 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:31 pm

I emailed Loyola about the Shuttle service for those of us who are considering public transportation. They said that the last shuttle from campus to the metro stop is at 10:20pm, no exceptions. The person who replied was not at all helpful on what alternative methods are available, so I guess that's for us to figure out. I'll have to check bus schedules, maybe there is a bus nearby that goes to the station.

bowandarrow20
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:56 pm

Re: Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011

Postby bowandarrow20 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:45 pm

Wait this is the free Shuttle service the campus provides?

I'm sure I'm going to be on campus much later than 10pm, and occasionally miss it and have to stay on campus to night over, which I hope is possible.

There's got to be buses and the metro around after then, I hope.

User avatar
snowboarder2713
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:59 pm

Re: Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011

Postby snowboarder2713 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:17 am

To a certain point the metro will be open, but even then I wouldn't even consider pulling an all nighter at Loyola's campus. Actually, I don't think it's possible. The library isn't open 24/7 and I expect the other buildings wouldn't be opened as late as or later than the library. I think once 10 pm hits, it'll be time for me to go home and continue my studies.

User avatar
mes789
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:40 am

Re: Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011

Postby mes789 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:01 pm

snowboarder2713 wrote:To a certain point the metro will be open, but even then I wouldn't even consider pulling an all nighter at Loyola's campus. Actually, I don't think it's possible. The library isn't open 24/7 and I expect the other buildings wouldn't be opened as late as or later than the library. I think once 10 pm hits, it'll be time for me to go home and continue my studies.


I think this will have to be the case for me as well, unless you can park for free after a certain time, then maybe I'll go get my car and come back. I just noticed that parking fees are $316.80 PER SEMESTER, that's $633.60 for the year, not including the summer if you took summer school. Someone is making a killing off parking.

User avatar
snowboarder2713
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:59 pm

Re: Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011

Postby snowboarder2713 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:10 pm

I think this will have to be the case for me as well, unless you can park for free after a certain time, then maybe I'll go get my car and come back. I just noticed that parking fees are $316.80 PER SEMESTER, that's $633.60 for the year, not including the summer if you took summer school. Someone is making a killing off parking.


That's it? God, DC and GW makes you think stuff that is actually very pricey seem very cheap. At GW, it's $750-850 per semester.

RoyalJordan
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:27 pm

Re: Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011

Postby RoyalJordan » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:24 pm

Seriously, our office has cheap parking here in LA and it's roughly $700/9 months. The Loyola parking rate isn't that bad. I imagine you could try to find a lot somewhere else and walk/ride your bike to school, but I don't think that'd be practical and I doubt you'd find secure lots that were cheaper.

User avatar
mes789
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:40 am

Re: Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011

Postby mes789 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:24 pm

I'm just thinking that on a law school budget, $600 can go a long way; for example, that could be a couple month's grocery bill.

User avatar
snowboarder2713
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:59 pm

Re: Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011

Postby snowboarder2713 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:29 pm

or a lot of happy hours.... :)

User avatar
hope
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011

Postby hope » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:21 pm

I was thinking about this too - There's no shuttle on the weekends. I don't want to take public transportation Monday - Friday, but have to buy a parking pass simply to come to campus on the weekends. That's kind of gnarly. Do you think there's open parking on the weekends? It doesn't seem like the safest area; I wouldn't want to have to walk from 7th and Figueroa

User avatar
mes789
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:40 am

Re: Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011

Postby mes789 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:04 pm

hope wrote:I was thinking about this too - There's no shuttle on the weekends. I don't want to take public transportation Monday - Friday, but have to buy a parking pass simply to come to campus on the weekends. That's kind of gnarly. Do you think there's open parking on the weekends? It doesn't seem like the safest area; I wouldn't want to have to walk from 7th and Figueroa


My tour guide said something about this but of course I forgot the details; I can't remember if he paid a daily rate ($6) or if it was free. I also can't remember if there is open parking after a certain time, so you could theoretically take the train home, eat dinner, then drive back to campus for a late night study session. I might email the lady back that I emailed previously, but I feel like I'm annoying them...
Last edited by mes789 on Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ncdls8
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:20 pm

Re: Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011

Postby ncdls8 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:12 pm

How many of you are joining me on Friday?

jm3four
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:54 pm

Re: Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011

Postby jm3four » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:22 pm

I'll be at the ASW on the 11th too. I hope its more informative than the student host days.

User avatar
mes789
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:40 am

Re: Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011

Postby mes789 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:31 pm

ncdls8 wrote:How many of you are joining me on Friday?


I wish I could but I have previous plans. Post how it was and if you found anything useful/interesting!

User avatar
hope
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011

Postby hope » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:34 pm

I found the student host day helpful - MUCH more so than the initial tour, so I'm not going to take off work to be there Friday. Please let me know if you find add'l info regarding parking! Thanks

User avatar
ncdls8
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:20 pm

Re: Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011

Postby ncdls8 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:38 pm

hope wrote:Please let me know if you find add'l info regarding parking! Thanks
I found the student host day helpful - MUCH more so than the initial tour, so I'm not going to take off work to be there Friday. Please let me know if you find add'l info regarding parking! Thanks


Maybe we can get a list going of specific questions people would like myself or others to ask on Friday. That way all those not going can get their specific questions answered. Just a thought.

User avatar
snowboarder2713
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:59 pm

Re: Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011

Postby snowboarder2713 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:43 am

This is from the new admits blog. Someone asked about Loyola's school atmosphere and if it was competitive. The response was this, which I think is pretty damn good.

I think one needs to look no further than this year's Princeton Review Guide to the Top 170 Law Schools and our ranking as "Best Overall Classroom Experience" to see that Loyola is a school that places a premium on creating an excellent learning environment. Keep in mind, that the Princeton Review rankings are based on surveys submitted by law students.

The fact that Loyola does not have a mandatory academic attrition rate plays a large role in alleviating stress amongst students. The adage, "Look to your left, look to your right, one of you will not be back next year" does not apply at Loyola. In addition, the very fair and attainable scholarship retention criteria reduces the mentality amongst students that makes one feel as though you are competing against your classmates for what can be a sizable amount of money.

The accessibility of the faculty is another factor. There are no "secrets" to doing well Loyola. Faculty members are open to sharing information with each and every student walking through their door.

This is not only based on my perspective as a member of the administration, but also on my experience at a law school with an environment much more competitive than what I know from my interactions with students at Loyola.


Also for law review, half of the students get on based on grades, the other half get on based on a write on competition. I hear this also lowers competition when law review isn't based solely on grades.

Bottom line is that I'm just bored at work and can't wait for law school to start. :)

User avatar
mes789
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:40 am

Re: Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011

Postby mes789 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:05 pm

So RE the parking situation: Apparently there is no charge for students to park on the weekends. Also, the person I spoke to said there is no time during the week when students can park for free in the parking structure, however on their website I found this quote: "Students that normally park on the street may also choose to move their cars into the parking structure after 9:00pm and park for free." the web page is located here. So I don't know which source is right concerning the 9:00pm parking, though I do know that you do not need a permit to park on the street (obviously).

bowandarrow20
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:56 pm

Re: Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011

Postby bowandarrow20 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:13 pm

snowboarder2713 wrote:This is from the new admits blog. Someone asked about Loyola's school atmosphere and if it was competitive. The response was this, which I think is pretty damn good.

I think one needs to look no further than this year's Princeton Review Guide to the Top 170 Law Schools and our ranking as "Best Overall Classroom Experience" to see that Loyola is a school that places a premium on creating an excellent learning environment. Keep in mind, that the Princeton Review rankings are based on surveys submitted by law students.

The fact that Loyola does not have a mandatory academic attrition rate plays a large role in alleviating stress amongst students. The adage, "Look to your left, look to your right, one of you will not be back next year" does not apply at Loyola. In addition, the very fair and attainable scholarship retention criteria reduces the mentality amongst students that makes one feel as though you are competing against your classmates for what can be a sizable amount of money.

The accessibility of the faculty is another factor. There are no "secrets" to doing well Loyola. Faculty members are open to sharing information with each and every student walking through their door.

This is not only based on my perspective as a member of the administration, but also on my experience at a law school with an environment much more competitive than what I know from my interactions with students at Loyola.


Also for law review, half of the students get on based on grades, the other half get on based on a write on competition. I hear this also lowers competition when law review isn't based solely on grades.

Bottom line is that I'm just bored at work and can't wait for law school to start. :)


Where the law school blog for newly admitted students?

Thanks god it's not cutthroat :)

User avatar
snowboarder2713
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:59 pm

Re: Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011

Postby snowboarder2713 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:15 pm

http://blog.lls.edu/newadmits/

It's really not updated that much, but some useful info. Plus the links are really helpful (there the ones that I put on the first post of this thread).

User avatar
iammyid
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:49 pm

Re: Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011

Postby iammyid » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:55 pm

I will also be attending Loyola's ASW this Friday.




Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest