Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
mes789

New

Re: Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011

Post by mes789 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:28 pm

PeanutButterJellyTIME wrote:Sending in my deposit to Loyola today. I also have yet to receive any financial aid info though I'm still hoping for money. 85% of the class is supposed to receive some sort of financial aid so theres definitely hope.
If I'm not mistaken, federal loans and grants also count as financial aid, so it isn't just scholarships.

Any of you have an idea of where your going to live? Or a max distance from the school that your willing to drive?
I'm hoping to live near a metro stop and take public transportation; parking price is high and I'd rather not battle traffic every day. Though, I'm unsure about the shuttle service from the metro to the school, I can't seem to find out if you can get a ride after 10:20pm, which may be a deal breaker. Anyone have info on that?
And anyone else looking into gym memberships around the area since the law school has none?
I had this same question, is 24 hr fitness expensive?

bowandarrow20

New

Post by bowandarrow20 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:37 pm

Based on the information they've sent me, since I'm not from LA, I'm looking at Hollywood, K-town, and Glendale.

I'm hoping to not drive, but may end up doing so and taking public transportation. I just want a place to sleep that's close by since I'll probably be studying on campus a lot.

I'm leaning toward K-town for the food :), maybe Glendale because friends say it's a good place to live. If I can find a cheap, close place in Hollywood I'd go with it too.

Is the LA Metro system really that dangerous? O.o

Though on the map, I have no idea where Silver lake or K-town is.

-Bow

PeanutButterJellyTIME

New

Post by PeanutButterJellyTIME » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:43 pm

Are you in the evening or day program?
Day Program, what about you?
I'm hoping to live near a metro stop and take public transportation; parking price is high and I'd rather not battle traffic every day. Though, I'm unsure about the shuttle service from the metro to the school, I can't seem to find out if you can get a ride after 10:20pm, which may be a deal breaker. Anyone have info on that?
Sorry no info on that but I'm resigned to dealing with the traffic because I wouldn't want to get stuck with no ride at around 10:20 on those late study days.

RoyalJordan

New

Post by RoyalJordan » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:43 pm

As for area gym options, there is a Gold's Gym in the 7th and Fig complex near the metro stop downtown. I've been a member at other Gold's Gyms owned by the same guy and they are of a pretty high quality for the price.

I currently am a member of LA Fitness and it's $29/month which is pretty cheap. The gym I go to is in Westwood and okay in quality, but I stay there because it's so cheap. If you live in Hollywood, there is a great LA Fitness complex near Hollywood Blvd/Fairfax. That was the LA Fitness I frequented when I lived over there. It's been open for just over a year and is new and of good quality for the price.

I have been a member of 24 Hour Fitness previously in other locations and imagine their prices are similar to LA Fitness. I can't speak too much as to their quality with regards to their LA locations. I've heard decent things about the location near the Arclight in Hollywood.

There are several Bally's locations around LA and they are cheap, but I've only heard bad things about them from my friends.

If you are willing to shell out more, there are a lot of higher quality gyms ie. The Sports Club, Equinox, and other local spots available in LA. I'd love to upgrade to Equinox, but right now, it isn't worth it for me.

RoyalJordan

New

Post by RoyalJordan » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:55 pm

bowandarrow20 wrote:Based on the information they've sent me, since I'm not from LA, I'm looking at Hollywood, K-town, and Glendale.

I'm hoping to not drive, but may end up doing so and taking public transportation. I just want a place to sleep that's close by since I'll probably be studying on campus a lot.

I'm leaning toward K-town for the food :), maybe Glendale because friends say it's a good place to live. If I can find a cheap, close place in Hollywood I'd go with it too.

Is the LA Metro system really that dangerous? O.o

Though on the map, I have no idea where Silver lake or K-town is.

-Bow
I grew up in Glendale and it's not a bad location, though I think you'd probably end up driving from there. Glendale's good because you can probably find a better bargain in terms of quality apartments/price.

You might be able to find some bargains in K-town and its certainly close to LLS, so that'd be nice. I wouldn't choose it just because of any huge desire for Korean BBQ, as you can get good food all over the city, but I imagine you were exaggerating here. Look west into the mid-wilshire area too, as it's kinda nice and deals can be found if you hunt around.

I've lived in Hollywood and it's alright. You can find deals, but may have to search. For me, the area itself isn't all that special. I suppose if you like clubbing out in Hollywood, it might have some extra appeal.

Silverlake/Los Feliz are more to my liking and aren't too far from Loyola. You have to search for deals here now, as it is a much more popular area than it was 15 years ago.

Having said that, I live on the westside now and like it. It's harder to find bargains, but they can be found. I share a nice large two-bedroom for $1950 with our own washer/dryer (so huge) and I consider this a good deal for the brentwood/west LA area.

Don't know if this helps at all. If anyone has any specific questions, let me know and I'll help you if I can. Oh, and the metro's not dangerous at all. Its main problem is that it's limited in where it can take you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Katdaddy

New

Post by Katdaddy » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:42 pm

PeanutButterJellyTIME wrote:
Are you in the evening or day program?
Day Program, what about you?
Evening.

Katdaddy

New

Post by Katdaddy » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:43 pm

mes789 wrote:
And anyone else looking into gym memberships around the area since the law school has none?
I had this same question, is 24 hr fitness expensive?
I paid $600-700 for an all club membership for 3 years.
Last edited by Katdaddy on Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bowandarrow20

New

Post by bowandarrow20 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:02 pm

Thanks Royal Jordan,

It sounds like it may be somewhat hard to find housing?

I really just prefer more of a dorm style kind of living for when I study. So I'm not looking forward to this whole living on my own, away from where a lot of college students live.

What's wrong with Korean BBQ? I'm Asian but not Korean so I thought about it.

I guess I would also have to visit the locations sometime to look for housing. Where do Loyola students usually live? All I hear is all over LA, but there's got to be some place where at least some of them aggregate.

Is living on Loyola (main) campus not a good idea? It seems a bit far, but if it'd be on a college campus at the least and if we travel once a day back and forth maybe?

I also actually had a monthly membership with LA fitness when I lived in San Diego, and that worked out pretty well. It was also about $20-$30 a month and had really nice facilities.

RoyalJordan

New

Post by RoyalJordan » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:24 pm

You can find housing, it just requires some looking in order to find the best places/deals. If you like "dorm" style type housing, I've seen plenty of ads on craigslist for these types of places around Koreatown. Oh, and I have nothing against Korean bbq. :)

Loyola students do live all over the place I'm sorry to say. I had friends at LLS who lived in Glendale, Montrose, Silverlake, Mid-Wilshire, Los Feliz, Hollywood, and on the westside. I guess Silverlake/Los Feliz was where the majority of my friends lived while they were at LLS, but i certainly wouldn't say this is representative of the whole class. I imagine it varies slightly from year to year.

I would not recommend living at the main Loyola campus, if it's even allowed. I've never heard of anyone doing this. First off, it's a bit of a commute and you'd be surrounded by undergrads in what I consider a boring campus. Most loyola undergrads do not even live on campus. While socializing is not the highest priority for me, part of law school is networking and developing ties to the law community. If you were to live on the loyola main campus, you'd be severely limiting this experience and I wouldn't recommend it. Personally I wouldn't want to go through undergrad and law school only having lived in a "dorm" setting.

If i were you and didn't have ties to the area, I would look on craigslist and find a roommate situation that worked for me. You'd probably end up with better bang for your buck in terms of the place you can afford and if you're hesitant to live on your own, you could find someone with whom you at least could be semi-friends.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PeanutButterJellyTIME

New

Post by PeanutButterJellyTIME » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:03 pm

So I just called Gold's Gym and Loyola has a deal with them for a monthly rate of about 39.99. Regular price is 59.99. No initiation fees and no contracts, you can go month to month. $40 is pretty expensive for a gym but the pictures look nice and its the closest gym to the school, although the 24 hour( i think its a 24 hour fitness) isn't too much further.

Katdaddy, did you choose to go to the evening or did you waitlist for the day division?

And for those of you who have received scholarships/aid how much free money are you getting? I suppose an lsat and gpa range should accompany the amount of money if you're comfortable divulging any of that info in the first place. But we're all friends here and soon to be classmates. Just wanna know my chances and my range of money.

publicservant101

New

Post by publicservant101 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:25 pm

bowandarrow20 wrote:I sent in my deposit today, have to cancel my deposit at Santa Clara O.o (in this next week). Though I still haven't received my financial aid info... or any scholarship info =\

when you guys talk about financial aid, do you mean scholarships? or the aid we hopefully get from the FAFSA we filled out?

bowandarrow20

New

Post by bowandarrow20 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:56 pm

Is craiglist reliable? I ono always hesitant to do things with people over the internet. Doesn't Loyola also have a program to help people find roommates and housing?

When I was talking about financial aid, I'm talking about about FAFSA aid and scholarships. The admissions packet said their scholarship info comes in a different packet their the acceptance letter.

I got mine about two weeks ago, sent in my proof of US citizenship last week, so I should get something soon. Hopefully it'll include some scholarship money and not just a ton of FAFSA loans.

If only they could do this stuff online like some schools. I emailed Santa Clara my proof of citizenship and they gave me my info in a couple hours online.

Katdaddy

New

Post by Katdaddy » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:20 pm

PeanutButterJellyTIME wrote: Katdaddy, did you choose to go to the evening or did you waitlist for the day division?
I chose evening. I got mad bills, but I didn't want my financial obligations to keep me from going to law school.
Last edited by Katdaddy on Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

snowboarder2713

Bronze

Post by snowboarder2713 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:06 am

Is craiglist reliable? I ono always hesitant to do things with people over the internet. Doesn't Loyola also have a program to help people find roommates and housing?
Not to say that I don't trust craigslist, but I'm probably going to start looking for a roomie on the LLS site first. I have a link to it on my first post on this thread. I haven't been able to log on, so the system probably isn't up for the incoming class yet.

agent433

New

Post by agent433 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:01 pm

subz...

bowandarrow20

New

Post by bowandarrow20 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:05 pm

snowboarder2713 wrote:
Not to say that I don't trust craigslist, but I'm probably going to start looking for a roomie on the LLS site first. I have a link to it on my first post on this thread. I haven't been able to log on, so the system probably isn't up for the incoming class yet.
I actually emailed the person about it and this is what they wrote:

"Hi,
Once your second seat deposit is received, then your ID number will be activated if you're a new student.
Take care,
-Stan "

So yeah, it should work for us soon, since I typed in my ID/birthday originally and couldn't get in.

-Bow

snowboarder2713

Bronze

Post by snowboarder2713 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:16 pm

Thanks for doing that. It's unfortunately going to be close to the deadline when I have to pay that $500, but oh well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RoyalJordan

New

Post by RoyalJordan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:46 pm

bowandarrow20 wrote:Is craiglist reliable? I ono always hesitant to do things with people over the internet. Doesn't Loyola also have a program to help people find roommates and housing?
I can't believe there are people that haven't yet used craigslist. It's such an awesome site. Dive in, the water's fine.

My past friends who went to Loyola did not use the school's program to connect others with roommates. I could be wrong but I think it essentially is just a way to connect with other students looking for housing, it's not some list of available apartments or anything. Don't expect much help from LLS in terms of finding housing.

snowboarder2713

Bronze

Post by snowboarder2713 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:12 pm

My past friends who went to Loyola did not use the school's program to connect others with roommates. I could be wrong but I think it essentially is just a way to connect with other students looking for housing, it's not some list of available apartments or anything. Don't expect much help from LLS in terms of finding housing.
That's my impression as well. I've already done a fair amount of research on apartments and I'm fine with just finding a roomie. I've found a couple good places, one in Los Feliz and one in North Hollywood, that I'll post later tonight. I'm only looking at apartment complexes because a) it's what I think I want to live in (the extra amenities and one can typically find a good record of how their tenants like living there) and b) nothing available now on craigslist is going to be available come August.

mes789

New

Post by mes789 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:28 pm

Does anyone know when they are gonna tell us when orientation is and what the first day of classes is? It would be nice to know that sooner rather than later, so we can make summer plans, tell bosses when we'll be quitting, know when we will need to sign leases, move, etc.

Edit: I know I probably sound anal, but I just hate uncertainty and I like to scope out my options ahead of time. :mrgreen:
Last edited by mes789 on Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

json

New

Post by json » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:29 pm

HEY GUYS! just got accepted last saturday! I'm sending in my deposit soon.

"Has anyone received financial aid information from Loyola yet? If so, when were you accepted and when did you file your FAFSA?

TYIA."

i just called the financial aide office today concerning that matter. The school's letter is actually being sent out within the next few days.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Katdaddy

New

Post by Katdaddy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:37 pm

Congrats Json! So are snowboarder2713 and you planning the LLS Class of 2011 (and 2012) beach party this summer?

bowandarrow20

New

Post by bowandarrow20 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:54 pm

mes789 wrote:Does anyone know when they are gonna tell us when orientation is and what the first day of classes is? It would be nice to know that sooner rather than later, so we can make summer plans, tell bosses when we'll be quitting, know when we will need to sign leases, move, etc.

Edit: I know I probably sound anal, but I just hate uncertainty and I like to scope out my options ahead of time. :mrgreen:
Hey so,

I emailed Loyola Law School since I had the same problem my summer job and here's the response:

"The tentative schedule for Orientation is August 11-15. Additional information will be mailed in the upcoming months.

I hope this is helpful.

Sincerely,
Jannell Lundy Roberts"

So I'm assuming Fall 2008 class would start on the 18th, though I wish they would push it back a week O.o

snowboarder2713

Bronze

Post by snowboarder2713 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:19 pm

Katdaddy wrote:Congrats Json! So are snowboarder2713 and you planning the LLS Class of 2011 (and 2012) beach party this summer?
Congrats Json! That's actually not a bad idea. All I know is that sometime shortly before orientation, I'm getting seriously drunk, because it'll be the last time I'll be able to for several, several months.

Json - So are you definitely coming? If so, I'll throw your name on the list.

mes789

New

Post by mes789 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:38 pm

bowandarrow20 wrote: Hey so,

I emailed Loyola Law School since I had the same problem my summer job and here's the response:

"The tentative schedule for Orientation is August 11-15. Additional information will be mailed in the upcoming months.

I hope this is helpful.

Sincerely,
Jannell Lundy Roberts"

So I'm assuming Fall 2008 class would start on the 18th, though I wish they would push it back a week O.o
Yeah pushing it back a week would be amazing. I might have to miss my friend's wedding... So it goes I suppose. :|

Edit: Now that I think about it, I'm not sure when it is exactly, but I think it's around that date . lol.
Last edited by mes789 on Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”