Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
snowboarder2713

Bronze

Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011

Post by snowboarder2713 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:36 pm

Join the facebook group! Click here or search "Loyola Law School, Class of 2011"

Welcome to the Loyola Law School - Class of 2011 thread. Here you'll find fellow future classmates and information that should help ease all of our transitions to L.A. and to LLS.

Apartments: Look at the end of this post for a housing guide.

LLS also has a Transportation Incentive Program where they will cover 50% of your public transportation costs (on top of the discount you would already get with the student price). Here are details.

For your financial aid, they suggest checking your credit report, which is also a good idea before you start apartment searching. It usually costs a descent amount of money to check your credit ($30?), but I found an FTC website that tells you how to get your truly free credit report that credit companies are required by law to give you once every 12 months. Click here.

Loyola has its own internal system for housing classifieds and a roommate search. To access it, click here. This is now active, so take advantage of it!

Mac Users - I believe this is a change in policy, so I'm making a note of it. Mac users are now able to user their computer on test day using the exam software LLS uses. For information on both PC and Mac computers for exams, click here.

This is the list of required classes we have to take at LLS. This is the 2008 fall academic calendar (notice how we even get the Jewish holidays off!)

Attending
adam
beanee33
bowandarrow20
franka
feed09
Fyzzix
gm907
hope
lakersfan
LBCLawGirl
maelesa
mes789
mistasparkle
ncdls8
PeanutButterJellyTIME
pretz
publicservant101
PugPug
snowboarder2713
eeandtee (evening)
Gonzo (evening)
Herbellis (evening)

Also, when you decide, please post it on this other thread as well. Sibarg2 is compiling a huge list of everyone on TLS going to law school next year.

Apartments
This will be continually updated with people's comments and more apartment building links, so check back often.

This list is from the Southwestern Law School's Housing Guide. I've added a few things and will continue to tweak it for a bit. I've added only apartment buildings to this list because most of the apartments we find out craigslist now definitely won't be available come August. These apartments all fall in our estimated cost of attendance for room and board, which Loyola puts at $14,176. That's $1,181 per month for a year. You aren't going to be able to find much if anything for studios/1 bd apartments for that price, but you can find a lot within that price range for a 2 bd apartment. While listing these apartments below, I only looked at the 2 bd price and gave a little leeway. (I think I put a max of $2400 per month, because some places offer a couple months free with a one-year lease and the such.) Commute times are approximate and traffic in not included.

Neighborhoods at a Glance
- Incorporated Cities -

BEVERLY HILLS - Wikipedia (10.2 miles away from LLS)
One of the most famous cities in the world, Beverly Hills offers more affordable housing south of Wilshire Blvd., between Century Park East and San Vicente Blvd. (zip code 90212).

BURBANK (LinkRemoved) - Wikipedia (12.6 miles away from LLS, 15 minutes commute time)
Burbank is one of the more economical L.A. communities. Home to major entertainment studios, including Disney, Warner Brothers and NBC, the housing is well balanced between homeowners and renters (about 55% are condos and apartments).

Apartments: Avalon at Media Center (Starting at $1765 for a 2bd/1.5ba - no 2/2 available)
The Promenade Apartments (Starting at $1935 for 2bd/2ba)

CULVER CITY - Wikipedia (9.2 miles away from LLS, 15 minutes commute time)
This area is also home to several major entertainment studios, including Sony and Fox. Though only five-square-miles and bordered on all sides by other parts of L.A., Culver City is its own municipality and is more affordable than the other surrounding Westside area, with many apartments and single family homes.

GLENDALE (LinkRemoved) - Wikipedia (10.9 miles away from LLS, 15 minutes commute time)
Glendale’s affordability makes it a popular choice for newcomers and has attracted a diverse community. Most apartment buildings are clustered around the downtown area, which has a more small-town feel. Glendale is the thirst most populous city in L.A. county.

LONG BEACH (LinkRemoved) - Wikipedia (24.1 miles away from LLS, Metrorail Blue Line)
Long Beach is the 5th largest city in California and is composed of many different neighborhoods. It borders Orange County on its southeastern edge.

Apartments: Archstone City Place (LinkRemoved) (Starting at $2110 for 2bd/2ba)
Archstone Long Beach Harbor (LinkRemoved) (Starting at $1775 for 2bd/2ba)

PASADENA - Wikipedia (11.5 miles away from LLS, Metrorail Gold Line, 20 minutes commute time)
Pasadena’s “old town” is a revitalized area brimming with people on the weekends. The newly renovated buildings house an array of unique stores, movie theatres, restaurants and antique shops. At first glance, single-family homes appear to be the majority of housing, but about half of the city’s residents are renters.

SANTA MONICA (LinkRemoved) - Wikipedia (14 miles away from LLS, 30 minutes commute time)
Santa Monica is the quintessential L.A. beach town, bounded on the north by Brentwood and Pacific Palisades, the east by West L.A. and the south by Venice and Culver City. The city is broken down into several subsections. The area around Main Street boasts new galleries, bars, cafes, etc.; Third Street Promenade is always bustling with people; and the upscale community around Montana Ave. has a high-end shopping district.

TORRANCE (LinkRemoved) & THE BEACH CITIES (17.9 miles away from LLS, 35-40 minutes commute time)
Torrance and the beach cities, including Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach and Manhattan Beach (LinkRemoved), are located between Los Angeles and Orange Counties (in L.A. County). Torrance is a prime business center for this regipasadenaon known as the South Bay. Among local attractions include the beaches; Del Amo Fashion Center, the largest enclosed shopping mall in the west; and very affordable housing.

Wikipedia: Torrance
Redondo Beach
Hermosa Beach
Manhattan Beach

WEST HOLLYWOOD (LinkRemoved) - Wikipedia (9.5 miles away from LLS)
At the foot of the Hollywood Hills, just east of Beverly Hills, this densely populated city has a business base as diverse as the community itself. It is home to some of the trendiest places in L.A., including Sunset Blvd. (with the House of Blues and The Laugh Factory) and Melrose Avenue (featuring the current must-haves in fashion).

hope:
WeHo is nice because there are a ton of apartment options and you can typically find good prices. There definitely is a lot going on as far as restaurants and clubs, and traffic gets a little heavier at night and on the weekends because it's kind of a "scene" where people like to come. It's very clean, and I felt pretty safe unless for some reason I couldn't find street parking close to my place and had to walk a couple blocks at 2 am. As well as having a large gay population, there are also a lot of "industry" folks there (young actors) and lots of really elderly people who seem to have lived there for ages :) There are plenty of gyms, grocery stores (whole foods, trader joes), restaurants, & Runyon Canyon (for hikes) nearby. I lived for a year pretty close to the Sunset Strip (near House of Blues and the Standard) and yes, I could hear the thumping of bass from nearby clubs and/or house parties. Personally I prefer being tucked away in the foothills where it's quieter. WeHo is also further from the 101, although only by about 15 minutes depending which part. You could still probably catch a bus to the Hollywood/Vine metro station and get downtown in 10 minutes (from the metro!) Halloween is an insanely giant party in WeHo, as is the gay pride parade - the streets are closed and thousands of people come from all over. Certainly fun though!

Neighborhoods at a Glance
- Areas in the City of Los Angeles -

HANCOCK PARK - Wikipedia (4.8 miles away from LLS)
Hancock Park is a highly affluent urban neighborhood.

HOLLYWOOD - Wikipedia (7.3 miles away from LLS, 10 minutes commute time)
To live in Hollywood, you must love the energy and edginess of the area. Most apartment complexes were built in the 50’s and 60’s and are usually filled with budget-minded people pursuing the American dream. With the addition of the Hollywood and Highland complex, it has become a popular place to see or be seen.

Apartments: Avalon Sunset (Starting at $2254 for 2bd/2ba)

LOS FELIZ, SILVER LAKE & THE HOLLYWOOD HILLS (10.0 miles away from LLS, 15 minutes commute time)
More affordable than the Westside, this area is located a few miles north of Southwestern and is considered one of the trendier communities that hug the Santa Monica Mountains between Hollywood and Dodger Stadium.

Wikipedia: Los Feliz
Silver Lake
Hollywood Hills

Apartments: Archstone Los Feliz (LinkRemoved) (Starting at $1930 for 2bd/2ba)
Rancho Los Feliz (Starting at $2010 for 2bd/2ba)
Skyline Terrace (Starting at $1672 for 2bd/2ba)

LOYOLA LAW SCHOOL (PICO-UNION) / DOWNTOWN AREA
These are apartments that are located within a few miles of LLS law school. Loyola Law School is located in the Pico-Union area, which is just west of downtown Los Angeles. I've put them together because I don't know where one area ends and the other one begins.

Wikipedia: Pico-Union
Downtown Los Angeles

Apartments: The Medici (Starting at $2313 for 2bd/2ba)
Mozaic Designer Apartments (LinkRemoved) (Starting at $2395 for 2 bd/2ba)
Orsini Apartments (Starting from $2104 for 2 bd/ba)
The Piero Apartments (Starting from $2350 for 2 bd/2ba)
Visconti Apartments (Starting from $2305 for 2 bd/2ba)

MID-WILSHIRE - Wikipedia (3.9 miles away from LLS)
Close to Southwester Law School, this area (also known as Mid-City or Wilshire Center) features affordable housing minutes from downtown, with accessibility via the subway or buses to the many retail and community resources. Like most metropolitan cities, the more inexpensive areas vary in safety, so look for buildings that include enhanced security. You may also call the Admissions Office for advice on better neighborhoods in this area. Architectural highlights include the Wiltern Theater, the Wilshire Boulevard Temple, the Immanuel Presbyterian Church and of course, the Bullocks Wilshire building!

MIRACLE MILE & THE FAIRFAX DISTRICT (12.6 miles away from LLS)
Miracle Mile and the Fairfax District boast the town’s newest shopping and entertainment center: The Grove at Farmer’s Market, a favorite for locals. Also in this area is Museum Row, including the L.A. County Museum of Art and the La Brea Tar Pits. You can find reasonably priced rentals in everything from multi-unit apartment buildings to small houses.

Wikipedia: Miracle Mile
Fairfax District

Apartments: Park La Brea (Starting at $2135 for 2 bd/2ba)

STUDIO CITY, VAN NUYS & NORTH HOLLYWOOD (13-14 miles away from LLS, North Hollywood – Metrorail Red Line)
Typical of many areas in the Valley, the majority of businesses line Ventura Blvd., including grocery stores, banks and restaurants that serve the needs of the locals. Housing includes everything from plush apartments, newly-built condos and single-level family homes to a variety of apartment buildings in both bustling and quiet neighborhoods, and it tends to be more affordable.

Wikipedia: Studio City
Van Nuys
North Hollywood

Apartments: Archstone Studio City (LinkRemoved) (Starting at $2130 for 2 bd/2ba)
NoHo Collection (LinkRemoved) (Starting at $2095 for 2 bd/2 ba and 0.4 miles to North Hollywood Metro Station)
Academy Village (Starting at $1910 for 2 bd/2ba)

WEST LOS ANGELES - Wikipedia (13.0 miles away from LLS)
West Los Angeles (including Westwood, Brentwood and “Beverly Hills Adjacent”) spans a large amount of land between Santa Monica and Beverly Hills and is home to many famous attractions. Luxury apartments can be found in Brentwood and some parts of Westwood, while more affordable rentals are available in the lower portion of Westwood, “Beverly Hills Adjacent,” Mar Vista and Palms.
Last edited by snowboarder2713 on Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:26 am, edited 61 times in total.

JOE!

New

Re: Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011

Post by JOE! » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:29 pm

I finally went complete the beginning of this month... it took almost two months for them to receive a paper LSDAS report (I doubt that's TRUE, but it's what the status checker says). Your thread looked lonely, so I thought I'd jump in even though I'm not admitted.

If I go to LLS, I'll be taking the train from Orange for a number of reasons, so I can't help with the apartment search, but good luck!

snowboarder2713

Bronze

Post by snowboarder2713 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:45 pm

Yea it's a little lonely now (I'm even the first one to click the attending box on LSN), but I'm sure it'll pick up soon enough. And, LLS takes forever to request (or at least update it online) your paper LSDAS report. Good luck!

hope

New

Post by hope » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:57 pm

I'm still undecided, but I'm in. I'm taking my campus tour later this week. I live in Hollywood, and suggest Los Feliz, Silverlake, Beachwood, & Atwater Village as cute neighborhoods with reasonable rent.

publicservant101

New

Post by publicservant101 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:36 pm

i may be adding myself to this VERY soon!!!!!! can't wait to visit campus... i keep forgetting, do they have specific visit days?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hope

New

Post by hope » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:01 pm

You can sign up online to take a tour and sit in on a class. They are also having some admitted students days I think in March where you have lunch with current students and professors, and meet other admits, which sounds cool.

mes789

New

Post by mes789 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:11 pm

The admitted student days actually start next Friday and go for pretty much every Friday till April I believe.
Last edited by mes789 on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

augustlights

New

Post by augustlights » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:12 pm

Barring a UCLA/USC/UWash acceptance....I'm in.

Who wants to live with me an my Aussie? :p

eeandtee

New

Post by eeandtee » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:59 pm

I'm in and i am attending the evening program!

looking forward...

anyone know where i could find more details on class schedules for the evening program?

thanks

ef

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

snowboarder2713

Bronze

Post by snowboarder2713 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:04 pm

Congrats! Beside this page (LinkRemoved), I've yet to find anything more detailed. Congrats again, that's great!

publicservant101

New

Post by publicservant101 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:45 pm

I like you AL! I'll be happy to go to the same school as you!

I feel like we have a powerful team growing here folks :D

augustlights wrote:Barring a UCLA/USC/UWash acceptance....I'm in.

hope

New

Post by hope » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:48 pm

Are any of you going to that film screening next week?
Last edited by hope on Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

augustlights

New

Post by augustlights » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:49 pm

publicservant101 wrote:I like you AL! I'll be happy to go to the same school as you!

I feel like we have a powerful team growing here folks :D

augustlights wrote:Barring a UCLA/USC/UWash acceptance....I'm in.

yay! I'm pretty excited too. Everyone seems nice :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mistasparkle

New

Post by mistasparkle » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:36 am

I'm also in and 99% sure I'll be attending. Need to start looking for places. I've heard very good things about the Los Feliz area.

Katdaddy

New

Post by Katdaddy » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:41 am

8)
Last edited by Katdaddy on Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mes789

New

Post by mes789 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:09 pm

I just posted a review of my Loyola visit: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 93#p528593

CourierTwelve

New

Post by CourierTwelve » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:20 pm

mistasparkle wrote:I'm also in and 99% sure I'll be attending. Need to start looking for places. I've heard very good things about the Los Feliz area.
I used to live one block east of Loyola LA. I could see the loyola parking structure from my room. It's not a great area. It's pretty close to Skid Row and about one block to the north is notorious for cocaine dealing. My apartment was 1200 a month for a 350sq ft. studio, but I could get about twice the size in Los Feliz, or even better, Long Beach if you're willing to commute. There's a place called "The Flat" ... that's where I lived... not a bad place, but it's kind of like dorm living. Really close and everything is included.

HTH.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JOE!

New

Post by JOE! » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:28 pm

snowboarder2713 wrote:LLS also has a Transportation Incentive Program where they will cover 50% of your public transportation costs (on top of the discount you would already get with the student price). Here are details.
Wow - I don't know how I missed that before. That's a HUGE savings for what I'll be doing (if I go there). Definitely relieves some of my commuting worries.

Not that I really think anyone else plans on commuting from Orange County, but it doesn't look too bad - an hour train ride, a five minute subway ride, and a five minute shuttle ride. Add some time for driving to the station / waiting for the shuttle to pick me up, and I'd guess around an hour and a half. Not the worst commute in the world, and I won't have to live in LA. :mrgreen:

mes789

New

Post by mes789 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:26 pm

JoeHo92385 wrote:
Wow - I don't know how I missed that before. That's a HUGE savings for what I'll be doing (if I go there). Definitely relieves some of my commuting worries.

Not that I really think anyone else plans on commuting from Orange County, but it doesn't look too bad - an hour train ride, a five minute subway ride, and a five minute shuttle ride. Add some time for driving to the station / waiting for the shuttle to pick me up, and I'd guess around an hour and a half. Not the worst commute in the world, and I won't have to live in LA. :mrgreen:
Yeah, not bad at all to save the headaches of driving . The tour guide I had lives in Long Beach and takes the train/shuttle. My only concern is that the shuttle seems to stop running at 10:20pm, so if you were doing a late night study sesh, you might be screwed. I don't know if you can call for extra pickups; the whole thing seems a bit ambiguous.

ricky1001

New

Post by ricky1001 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:41 pm

Hey guys, I will be there with you this august. I'm lookin forward to it, but I'm worried about the housing situation too. I'm thinking of getting a place in long beach, because I don't want to live in the hood. But, is it reasonable to have to commute 2-3 hrs a day to school? I assume one could study on the train but it's obviously not the best work environment. On the other hand, if you don't take public transport, you have to deal with gas prices, parking permits, and CRAZY LA driving. Additionally, the air quality in long beach is better.

JOE!

New

Post by JOE! » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:23 pm

Long Beach can be a nice place to live, or a crappy place... although I suppose that can be said for most cities. What station would you be using from Long Beach? It's kinda nice to hear that mes' tour guide commuted from Long Beach, and that I'm not the only person thinking about taking the train.

Also, about the shuttle, I think you CAN call for late pick-ups... the only problem is that if you're taking metrolink, it looks like the last train leaving Union Station is at 6:30pm. You could also take Amtrak, but their last train leaves at 10:10pm.

For me, taking the train is a definite if I go to Loyola (and don't move to LA), since it'll save me around $200/month. And I probably won't be moving, due to my living situation.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ricky1001

New

Post by ricky1001 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:38 pm

Wait, so how late do classes run for full time students? Hopefully not past 5! Ideally no later than 3.

JOE!

New

Post by JOE! » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:30 pm

That's a good question... let me know if you find out, and I'll do the same (assuming I remember, haha).

Anyone know what Loyola's curve is?

LBCLawGirl

New

Post by LBCLawGirl » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:48 pm

hi guys! i'm still waiting on a couple schools but assuming those don't pan out, it looks like it'll be loyola for me...

i'm actually from the long beach area, and a commute to downtown LA isn't horrible, with no traffic you can get down there in probably 30 minutes, with traffic maybe up to an hour and 15 (from my experiences at least)...with that said, i've never tried the train so i can't vouche for that.

is anyone attendning the open house on april 11th?

pretz

New

Post by pretz » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:13 pm

I'm choosing between Loyola and Hastings but I think I want to be in LA... I'm going to check out Loyola next week. Unless I really don't like it I think I will be joining you in the fall.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”