University of Wisconsin '11 Admitted Student Weekend Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
ltmcknight

New

University of Wisconsin '11 Admitted Student Weekend

Post by ltmcknight » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:13 pm

Is anyone planning on going to one of the admitted student weekends?

mplsdbc

New

Re: University of Wisconsin '11 Admitted Student Weekend

Post by mplsdbc » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:08 am

I will definately be there...and am very excited!

msumike75

New

Post by msumike75 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:49 am

I am thinking about the March one.

AVSexton

New

Post by AVSexton » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:17 pm

I might go. I already know the town, the campus layout and so on, so I'm not sure if it would be worth my time, but eh. Probably wouldn't be doing anything else on either weekend anyway. I haven't decided between the April or March ones yet, either.

cej13

New

Post by cej13 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:32 pm

I'm going to the April ASW. Anyone else heading there in april?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ltmcknight

New

Post by ltmcknight » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:50 pm

I'm also going in April

kmorgand

New

Post by kmorgand » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:15 pm

I will definitely go to one! Just waiting to hear full details in the mail :mrgreen:

kmorgand

New

Post by kmorgand » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:43 pm

OK, I've heard about them officially now, so I'm going to go in April also :mrgreen:

paisley

New

Post by paisley » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:47 pm

despite being accepted a week ago i still have not heard anything about asw...either way, i am visiting this weekend. will report back and answer questions if anyone is interested.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

msumike75

New

Post by msumike75 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:00 pm

paisley wrote:despite being accepted a week ago i still have not heard anything about asw...either way, i am visiting this weekend. will report back and answer questions if anyone is interested.
The info for ASW is on the website.
--LinkRemoved--

paisley

New

Post by paisley » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:07 pm

thank you. apparently i am an idiot.

ltmcknight

New

Post by ltmcknight » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:05 am

Have any of you received any information from UW besides the initial acceptance letter? My acceptance came last wed, and I have not heard anything since then.

paisley

New

Post by paisley » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:36 am

nope, not a thing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AVSexton

New

Post by AVSexton » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:21 pm

They send things out in the following order:

1. Acceptance letter
2. Information about student orgs, the housing website, etc. I got this several weeks after my acceptance, but I got my acceptance in early January.
3. Late Feb-Mid March: Initial Scholarship/Grant offers, though they can send some of those out as late as June, apparently. Don't hold your breath, Madison has very limited funds for grants if you aren't a URM or military vet.
4. Mid-March: Letter directing you to the acceptance webpage, deadline for a decision is April 14th, though they will give you an extra month if you ask for it. Madison doesn't have a seat deposit.
5. Mid-June: Fall 1L schedule request form; your schedule is pre-determined, but if you have particular conflicts, or if there is a specific non-law class you want to take (My schedule needs to be free for their Symphony Band, for example) they will try to work around you.

I'm sure you get other things; those are the dates and information that I got in letter #2.

msumike75

New

Post by msumike75 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:45 pm

AVSexton wrote:They send things out in the following order:

1. Acceptance letter
2. Information about student orgs, the housing website, etc. I got this several weeks after my acceptance, but I got my acceptance in early January.
3. Late Feb-Mid March: Initial Scholarship/Grant offers, though they can send some of those out as late as June, apparently. Don't hold your breath, Madison has very limited funds for grants if you aren't a URM or military vet.
4. Mid-March: Letter directing you to the acceptance webpage, deadline for a decision is April 14th, though they will give you an extra month if you ask for it. Madison doesn't have a seat deposit.
5. Mid-June: Fall 1L schedule request form; your schedule is pre-determined, but if you have particular conflicts, or if there is a specific non-law class you want to take (My schedule needs to be free for their Symphony Band, for example) they will try to work around you.

I'm sure you get other things; those are the dates and information that I got in letter #2.
I got a package with a nice letter and a magazine from a professor who "personally made the decision to offer admission." I thought that was pretty nice and cool.

Darth Topher

New

Post by Darth Topher » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:25 pm

I know this is being pushy, but I was wondering if any of you would like to reveal your GPA and LSAT score so I can get an idea of who is getting admitted. Feel free to share anything else...

msumike75

New

Post by msumike75 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:29 pm

Darth Topher wrote:I know this is being pushy, but I was wondering if any of you would like to reveal your GPA and LSAT score so I can get an idea of who is getting admitted. Feel free to share anything else...
162 3.48.
Wisconsin does place a great emphasis on diversity. They really do take a holistic approach with regards to applications.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AVSexton

New

Post by AVSexton » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:21 pm

162, 3.63. Was an autoadmit as an instate.

Holly

New

Re: University of Wisconsin \\\'11 Admitted Student Weekend

Post by Holly » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:00 pm

Last edited by Holly on Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AVSexton

New

Post by AVSexton » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:59 pm

I'm just assuming that I was an autoadmit because my acceptance letter was dated January 6th (went complete a few days after the December LSAT scores came in). The turnaround seemed way too fast to be anything but an auto-admit. I imagine I could be wrong.

As you know as an in-state person, Wisconsin schools in general put a lot more emphasis on GPA than the entrance tests in general. The difference between a 3.4 and a 3.63 compared to the median GPA of 3.58 is probably a bigger deal than the one point more you have on the LSAT.

That said, I would assume you're going to get in as an instate, surprised you haven't heard back from them:/ Did you do your undergrad instate?

Edit: And I don't know about any finnancial aid, I haven't heard anything. I wouldn't call $14k (+10% a year or so) a year 'so little' for a regional school, though! Still going to have me 70k in debt after living expenses and such, without any certain 160k jobs in the pipe! Ah well, such is the cost of education.

Holly

New

Re: University of Wisconsin \'11 Admitted Student Weekend

Post by Holly » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:08 pm

14k is pretty cheap IMHO... in fact, last time I checked, it was one of the cheapest T1 schools for instate students.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

darinnu

New

Post by darinnu » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:04 am

AVSexton wrote:

What instrument do you play?

AVSexton

New

Post by AVSexton » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:47 pm

Bassoon is my main instrument (I can play pretty much all of the band instruments, music education and all of that), though I'm probably going to sell my instrument to help pay for school. I may buy a student model with the money that I get from selling my professional model. I could get a student model for about $4,000, I'm hoping to sell my current instrument for $14,000 minus a 12% consignment. Even $8,000 would cut pretty considerably in to the debt I'm going to be getting from school; especially considering that I already have $11k from undergrad.

Plus, I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to stick out the rest of the year in Milwaukee Public Schools, it really is the worst job that is conceivably possible to me.

darinnu

New

Post by darinnu » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:54 pm

I have a friend who teaches middle school in Kenosha (I believe), but she is moving to the Chicago area next year (got engaged to my best friend!). She has a pretty cushy job, but she isn't teaching in the Milwaukee public schools!

I am a musician too, but I play trombone...same range though. :) I have been teaching college for the last six years. I am hoping to get rid of some of my instruments as well, partly because they take up a lot of space!

I plan on being at the 1st ASW...we should chat if you are going to be there!

Darin Achilles

msumike75

New

Post by msumike75 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:02 pm

darinnu wrote:I have a friend who teaches middle school in Kenosha (I believe), but she is moving to the Chicago area next year (got engaged to my best friend!). She has a pretty cushy job, but she isn't teaching in the Milwaukee public schools!

I am a musician too, but I play trombone...same range though. :) I have been teaching college for the last six years. I am hoping to get rid of some of my instruments as well, partly because they take up a lot of space!

I plan on being at the 1st ASW...we should chat if you are going to be there!

Darin Achilles
I play Euphonium. Well used to play. My instrument is not in playing condition now. One of my valves is stuck. I will not sell it. I hope to pick playing back up sometime soon.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”