University of Wisconsin '11 Admitted Student Weekend

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
ltmcknight
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:38 am

University of Wisconsin '11 Admitted Student Weekend

Postby ltmcknight » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:13 pm

Is anyone planning on going to one of the admitted student weekends?

User avatar
mplsdbc
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:32 pm

Re: University of Wisconsin '11 Admitted Student Weekend

Postby mplsdbc » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:08 am

I will definately be there...and am very excited!

User avatar
msumike75
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: University of Wisconsin '11 Admitted Student Weekend

Postby msumike75 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:49 am

I am thinking about the March one.

AVSexton
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:49 pm

Re: University of Wisconsin '11 Admitted Student Weekend

Postby AVSexton » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:17 pm

I might go. I already know the town, the campus layout and so on, so I'm not sure if it would be worth my time, but eh. Probably wouldn't be doing anything else on either weekend anyway. I haven't decided between the April or March ones yet, either.

User avatar
cej13
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:06 pm

Re: University of Wisconsin '11 Admitted Student Weekend

Postby cej13 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:32 pm

I'm going to the April ASW. Anyone else heading there in april?

ltmcknight
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:38 am

Re: University of Wisconsin '11 Admitted Student Weekend

Postby ltmcknight » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:50 pm

I'm also going in April

User avatar
kmorgand
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:03 am

Re: University of Wisconsin '11 Admitted Student Weekend

Postby kmorgand » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:15 pm

I will definitely go to one! Just waiting to hear full details in the mail :mrgreen:

User avatar
kmorgand
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:03 am

Re: University of Wisconsin '11 Admitted Student Weekend

Postby kmorgand » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:43 pm

OK, I've heard about them officially now, so I'm going to go in April also :mrgreen:

paisley
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:51 pm

Re: University of Wisconsin '11 Admitted Student Weekend

Postby paisley » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:47 pm

despite being accepted a week ago i still have not heard anything about asw...either way, i am visiting this weekend. will report back and answer questions if anyone is interested.

User avatar
msumike75
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: University of Wisconsin '11 Admitted Student Weekend

Postby msumike75 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:00 pm

paisley wrote:despite being accepted a week ago i still have not heard anything about asw...either way, i am visiting this weekend. will report back and answer questions if anyone is interested.
The info for ASW is on the website.
--LinkRemoved--

paisley
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:51 pm

Re: University of Wisconsin '11 Admitted Student Weekend

Postby paisley » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:07 pm

thank you. apparently i am an idiot.

ltmcknight
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:38 am

Re: University of Wisconsin '11 Admitted Student Weekend

Postby ltmcknight » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:05 am

Have any of you received any information from UW besides the initial acceptance letter? My acceptance came last wed, and I have not heard anything since then.

paisley
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:51 pm

Re: University of Wisconsin '11 Admitted Student Weekend

Postby paisley » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:36 am

nope, not a thing.

AVSexton
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:49 pm

Re: University of Wisconsin '11 Admitted Student Weekend

Postby AVSexton » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:21 pm

They send things out in the following order:

1. Acceptance letter
2. Information about student orgs, the housing website, etc. I got this several weeks after my acceptance, but I got my acceptance in early January.
3. Late Feb-Mid March: Initial Scholarship/Grant offers, though they can send some of those out as late as June, apparently. Don't hold your breath, Madison has very limited funds for grants if you aren't a URM or military vet.
4. Mid-March: Letter directing you to the acceptance webpage, deadline for a decision is April 14th, though they will give you an extra month if you ask for it. Madison doesn't have a seat deposit.
5. Mid-June: Fall 1L schedule request form; your schedule is pre-determined, but if you have particular conflicts, or if there is a specific non-law class you want to take (My schedule needs to be free for their Symphony Band, for example) they will try to work around you.

I'm sure you get other things; those are the dates and information that I got in letter #2.

User avatar
msumike75
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: University of Wisconsin '11 Admitted Student Weekend

Postby msumike75 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:45 pm

AVSexton wrote:They send things out in the following order:

1. Acceptance letter
2. Information about student orgs, the housing website, etc. I got this several weeks after my acceptance, but I got my acceptance in early January.
3. Late Feb-Mid March: Initial Scholarship/Grant offers, though they can send some of those out as late as June, apparently. Don't hold your breath, Madison has very limited funds for grants if you aren't a URM or military vet.
4. Mid-March: Letter directing you to the acceptance webpage, deadline for a decision is April 14th, though they will give you an extra month if you ask for it. Madison doesn't have a seat deposit.
5. Mid-June: Fall 1L schedule request form; your schedule is pre-determined, but if you have particular conflicts, or if there is a specific non-law class you want to take (My schedule needs to be free for their Symphony Band, for example) they will try to work around you.

I'm sure you get other things; those are the dates and information that I got in letter #2.
I got a package with a nice letter and a magazine from a professor who "personally made the decision to offer admission." I thought that was pretty nice and cool.

Darth Topher
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: University of Wisconsin '11 Admitted Student Weekend

Postby Darth Topher » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:25 pm

I know this is being pushy, but I was wondering if any of you would like to reveal your GPA and LSAT score so I can get an idea of who is getting admitted. Feel free to share anything else...

User avatar
msumike75
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: University of Wisconsin '11 Admitted Student Weekend

Postby msumike75 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:29 pm

Darth Topher wrote:I know this is being pushy, but I was wondering if any of you would like to reveal your GPA and LSAT score so I can get an idea of who is getting admitted. Feel free to share anything else...

162 3.48.
Wisconsin does place a great emphasis on diversity. They really do take a holistic approach with regards to applications.

AVSexton
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:49 pm

Re: University of Wisconsin '11 Admitted Student Weekend

Postby AVSexton » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:21 pm

162, 3.63. Was an autoadmit as an instate.

Holly
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:32 pm

Re: University of Wisconsin \\\'11 Admitted Student Weekend

Postby Holly » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:00 pm

.......
Last edited by Holly on Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AVSexton
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:49 pm

Re: University of Wisconsin '11 Admitted Student Weekend

Postby AVSexton » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:59 pm

I'm just assuming that I was an autoadmit because my acceptance letter was dated January 6th (went complete a few days after the December LSAT scores came in). The turnaround seemed way too fast to be anything but an auto-admit. I imagine I could be wrong.

As you know as an in-state person, Wisconsin schools in general put a lot more emphasis on GPA than the entrance tests in general. The difference between a 3.4 and a 3.63 compared to the median GPA of 3.58 is probably a bigger deal than the one point more you have on the LSAT.

That said, I would assume you're going to get in as an instate, surprised you haven't heard back from them:/ Did you do your undergrad instate?

Edit: And I don't know about any finnancial aid, I haven't heard anything. I wouldn't call $14k (+10% a year or so) a year 'so little' for a regional school, though! Still going to have me 70k in debt after living expenses and such, without any certain 160k jobs in the pipe! Ah well, such is the cost of education.

Holly
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:32 pm

Re: University of Wisconsin \'11 Admitted Student Weekend

Postby Holly » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:08 pm

14k is pretty cheap IMHO... in fact, last time I checked, it was one of the cheapest T1 schools for instate students.

darinnu
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:59 am

Re: University of Wisconsin '11 Admitted Student Weekend

Postby darinnu » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:04 am

AVSexton wrote:
5. Mid-June: Fall 1L schedule request form; your schedule is pre-determined, but if you have particular conflicts, or if there is a specific non-law class you want to take (My schedule needs to be free for their Symphony Band, for example) they will try to work around you.



What instrument do you play?

AVSexton
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:49 pm

Re: University of Wisconsin '11 Admitted Student Weekend

Postby AVSexton » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:47 pm

Bassoon is my main instrument (I can play pretty much all of the band instruments, music education and all of that), though I'm probably going to sell my instrument to help pay for school. I may buy a student model with the money that I get from selling my professional model. I could get a student model for about $4,000, I'm hoping to sell my current instrument for $14,000 minus a 12% consignment. Even $8,000 would cut pretty considerably in to the debt I'm going to be getting from school; especially considering that I already have $11k from undergrad.

Plus, I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to stick out the rest of the year in Milwaukee Public Schools, it really is the worst job that is conceivably possible to me.

darinnu
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:59 am

Re: University of Wisconsin '11 Admitted Student Weekend

Postby darinnu » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:54 pm

I have a friend who teaches middle school in Kenosha (I believe), but she is moving to the Chicago area next year (got engaged to my best friend!). She has a pretty cushy job, but she isn't teaching in the Milwaukee public schools!

I am a musician too, but I play trombone...same range though. :) I have been teaching college for the last six years. I am hoping to get rid of some of my instruments as well, partly because they take up a lot of space!

I plan on being at the 1st ASW...we should chat if you are going to be there!

Darin Achilles

User avatar
msumike75
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: University of Wisconsin '11 Admitted Student Weekend

Postby msumike75 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:02 pm

darinnu wrote:I have a friend who teaches middle school in Kenosha (I believe), but she is moving to the Chicago area next year (got engaged to my best friend!). She has a pretty cushy job, but she isn't teaching in the Milwaukee public schools!

I am a musician too, but I play trombone...same range though. :) I have been teaching college for the last six years. I am hoping to get rid of some of my instruments as well, partly because they take up a lot of space!

I plan on being at the 1st ASW...we should chat if you are going to be there!

Darin Achilles
I play Euphonium. Well used to play. My instrument is not in playing condition now. One of my valves is stuck. I will not sell it. I hope to pick playing back up sometime soon.




Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest