Cornell Law School 2011

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
User avatar
CampbellRh
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:43 pm

Re: Cornell Law School 2011

Postby CampbellRh » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:50 pm

offically going to Cornell...and paying for it for the rest of my life (no $...at all)...but I think it's worth it.

User avatar
KidA23
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:52 pm

Re: Cornell Law School 2011

Postby KidA23 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:40 pm

LeahNic wrote:
LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:
kn6542 wrote:Why would someone at the median receive merit money?

Are you guys talking about merit or need based aid?


Need based.

I'm only upset because they claim 50% of their kids get some form of need based grants. I find this hard to believe considering I'd be eligible for full tuition at a lot of private undergrads based on what my parents will make this coming year...



I think they base some of the need based on assets. Maybe your parents dont make much but they have very little left on their mortgage? Or two nice/new cars? I, of course dont know your situation, but I know that with my numbers (lsat above 75%, GPA at 25%) I got more than several people with the exact same numbers and my parents make about $60K a year total. But they have 2 really old cars, no assets, no retirement, and their house mortgage is almost completely still debt.

I'm not sure how they do it, it does seem sporadic.

I am 75% LSAT, median GPA, and my parents combined do not make $90k and I got nothing. I can only guess it is because their house is about paid off, though neither has any savings whatsoever. No clue.

User avatar
kn6542
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: Cornell Law School 2011

Postby kn6542 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:12 pm

I find this hard to believe considering I'd be eligible for full tuition at a lot of private undergrads based on what my parents will make this coming year...


I doubt any institution would base aid on projected income.

User avatar
hiphoppopotamus
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:03 pm

Re: Cornell Law School 2011

Postby hiphoppopotamus » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:51 am

Cornell Law School 2011 Facebook Group

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7729369797

User avatar
joonbug
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:14 am

Re: Cornell Law School 2011

Postby joonbug » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:18 am

Hey guys,

I'm 100% sure I'll be at Cornell this fall. Looking forward to meeting some of you. I also posted on Cornell admitted student site that I am looking for a roommate with 2-3 bedroom. If you are also interested in that, holler!

User avatar
retasu
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:27 am

Re: Cornell Law School 2011

Postby retasu » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:10 am

hiphoppopotamus wrote:Cornell Law School 2011 Facebook Group

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7729369797


Woah. Sudden influx of members. Now I can play "Try to guess which one is a TLS person!" :twisted:

User avatar
CampbellRh
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:43 pm

Re: Cornell Law School 2011

Postby CampbellRh » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:25 pm

retasu wrote:
hiphoppopotamus wrote:Cornell Law School 2011 Facebook Group

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7729369797


Woah. Sudden influx of members. Now I can play "Try to guess which one is a TLS person!" :twisted:



Haha, I'm a complete loser...and I actually tried to figure it out. no luck.

User avatar
spanktheduck
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:23 am

Re: Cornell Law School 2011

Postby spanktheduck » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:31 pm

CampbellRh wrote:
retasu wrote:
hiphoppopotamus wrote:Cornell Law School 2011 Facebook Group

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7729369797


Woah. Sudden influx of members. Now I can play "Try to guess which one is a TLS person!" :twisted:



Haha, I'm a complete loser...and I actually tried to figure it out. no luck.


I think we all tried to figure it out... lol

User avatar
CampbellRh
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:43 pm

Re: Cornell Law School 2011

Postby CampbellRh » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:32 pm

spanktheduck wrote:
CampbellRh wrote:
retasu wrote:
hiphoppopotamus wrote:Cornell Law School 2011 Facebook Group

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7729369797


Woah. Sudden influx of members. Now I can play "Try to guess which one is a TLS person!" :twisted:



Haha, I'm a complete loser...and I actually tried to figure it out. no luck.


I think we all tried to figure it out... lol



haha, I'll just write on the wall "TLSers?" and you can all identify yourselves...

User avatar
joonbug
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:14 am

Re: Cornell Law School 2011

Postby joonbug » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:34 pm

Guys, I'm pretty easy to identify.

LeahNic
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:10 pm

Re: Cornell Law School 2011

Postby LeahNic » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:47 pm

Yah, it would be pretty hard to not be able to identify me.

cornell1L
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:32 am

Re: Cornell Law School 2011

Postby cornell1L » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:19 pm

congrats guys. let me know if you have any questions...

User avatar
spanktheduck
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:23 am

Re: Cornell Law School 2011

Postby spanktheduck » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:18 pm

Ya it was pretty easy to figure out. :) On another happy note I mailed out my deposit today and withdrew from all my other acceptances. See you all in Ithaca!

18488
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:57 am

Re: Cornell Law School 2011

Postby 18488 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:20 am

99.9% sure--joined the facebook group and everything! we should have a big party together in Ithaca.

User avatar
aguyingeorgia
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:09 am

Re: Cornell Law School 2011

Postby aguyingeorgia » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:50 am

Any of you all scared about the weather?

18488
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:57 am

Re: Cornell Law School 2011

Postby 18488 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:06 am

a bit--in cincinnati we close school for 5" of snow. the amount of snow cornell gets each year is taller than my mom; to me, that's ridiculous. thinking about living on campus so i don't have to deal with walking through too much of it.

User avatar
retasu
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:27 am

Re: Cornell Law School 2011

Postby retasu » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:08 am

sbrown83 wrote:99.9% sure--joined the facebook group and everything! we should have a big party together in Ithaca.


Facebook is almost as big a commitment as sending in the deposit, haha.

Party at the home of whichever TLS person scores the biggest apartment/dorm in Ithaca!


aguyingeorgia wrote:Any of you all scared about the weather?

Not really. I've lived in colder places. You learn to deal. It's all about proper boots and many layers of clothing, and then in the spring you can run around in t-shirts the moment it hits 40 because you think it's so warm.

But still, I'm worried about Seasonal Affective Disorder. Not much sunlight in the library, I imagine. :? Where I live right now, we get precipitation over 200 days out of the year, and the complete lack of sunshine in the winter for months on end did a number on me this year.

User avatar
CampbellRh
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:43 pm

Re: Cornell Law School 2011

Postby CampbellRh » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:48 am

aguyingeorgia wrote:Any of you all scared about the weather?


Not at all...actually...a small factor for me was that GW just wouldn't have enough snow for me :)

I love snow!!


and I agree--TLS party once were in Ithaca :)

LawSchoolWannaBe
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:57 am

Re: Cornell Law School 2011

Postby LawSchoolWannaBe » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:53 am

Have you ever dealt with major amounts of it? (Honest question, not being condescending..)

It'd be interesting to see how people who haven't ever lived through a long, cold, snowy winter actually deal with it for the first time. Having spent 22 years in the north...I feel for anyone who has to move into this climate. It is demoralizing and can make you go insane at times.

xdistak
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:35 am

Re: Cornell Law School 2011

Postby xdistak » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:23 am

I plan on getting a sunlamp for my room. I've heard they work OK from a few people.

User avatar
retasu
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:27 am

Re: Cornell Law School 2011

Postby retasu » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:34 am

xdistak wrote:I plan on getting a sunlamp for my room. I've heard they work OK from a few people.


My UG in a cold, snowy, northern state had sunlamps in the health center during the winter. People could come in whenever they wanted and bask beneath their glow for a few hours. Should find out if Cornell has anything like that.

I have a friend who swears taking some St. John's wort also works wonders in the winter. Supposedly it makes light therapy more effective, too.

User avatar
CampbellRh
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:43 pm

Re: Cornell Law School 2011

Postby CampbellRh » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:47 am

LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:Have you ever dealt with major amounts of it? (Honest question, not being condescending..)

It'd be interesting to see how people who haven't ever lived through a long, cold, snowy winter actually deal with it for the first time. Having spent 22 years in the north...I feel for anyone who has to move into this climate. It is demoralizing and can make you go insane at times.


Yes--I have. I'm from New Hampshire originally...and have lived in upstate NY (about an hour and a half from Cornell...pretty much the same latitude & foothills of the catskills).

and I still love snow. I'll usually get sick of the cold by late feb/march...but you can always bundle up...the snow though? I would keep it all year round if it could be a little warmer.

I would like snow better if no one would drive in it and make it all gross :)

LeahNic
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:10 pm

Re: Cornell Law School 2011

Postby LeahNic » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:48 am

I am TERRIFIED of the snow and the cold. Completely. I'm from Houston-- not exactly used to it. But, I figure I'll manage somehow. I wanted to go somewhere warm and cheap...how I ended up with Cornell/Minnesota as my final two-- I have no idea.

Oh and definitely we should have a TLS party when we get there.

User avatar
retasu
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:27 am

Re: Cornell Law School 2011

Postby retasu » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:56 am

LeahNic wrote:I am TERRIFIED of the snow and the cold. Completely. I'm from Houston-- not exactly used to it. But, I figure I'll manage somehow. I wanted to go somewhere warm and cheap...how I ended up with Cornell/Minnesota as my final two-- I have no idea.

Oh and definitely we should have a TLS party when we get there.


I'm also from Texas, and I also was considering Minnesota at one point. :shock:

User avatar
spanktheduck
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:23 am

Re: Cornell Law School 2011

Postby spanktheduck » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:50 pm

I am from CT, we get snow but it does not really compare to Ithaca. I agree with Campbell, snow is aweseom until late Feb/early March when you start wanting it to be warm and realize you still have a few months of cold left.




Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests