Cornell Law School 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
CampbellRh

Bronze

Re: Cornell Law School 2011

Post by CampbellRh » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:04 pm

spanktheduck wrote:
gravity wrote:did you guys get a confirmation/receipt for your first deposit?
Yes, probably about 4/5 business days after I mailed it.

Edit: It was an email.

Me too...I called and harassed them a ton...I wanted to make sure it was in before I sent out the last of my withdrawls.

And I agree--lets work on edgars app...you know it's important when an entire online forum is waiting for news!

hiphoppopotamus

New

Post by hiphoppopotamus » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:35 am

CampbellRh wrote:
spanktheduck wrote:

Me too...I called and harassed them a ton...I wanted to make sure it was in before I sent out the last of my withdrawls.

And I agree--lets work on edgars app...you know it's important when an entire online forum is waiting for news!
oh man, i feel so bad for that kid...it must be rough when a school is your first choice to see a bunch of forum people getting in for whom it was not their first choice...I really hope he gets in...

gravity

New

Post by gravity » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:43 pm

CampbellRh wrote:
spanktheduck wrote:

they are not picking up... hopefully they got it.. :shock:

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:51 pm

They "aren't fielding phone calls at this time". Bah. I'd really like to know that they received it.

wuhoo

New

Post by wuhoo » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:58 pm

I called them since I really wanted a confirmation on the deposit I sent in last week. They hadn't received it yet, but told me that they have a VERY lax sliding deadline on deposits. The rep i spoke with told me that they wouldn't outright drop anyone if their deposit wasn't received until the end of this month.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:34 pm

wuhoo wrote:I called them since I really wanted a confirmation on the deposit I sent in last week. They hadn't received it yet, but told me that they have a VERY lax sliding deadline on deposits. The rep i spoke with told me that they wouldn't outright drop anyone if their deposit wasn't received until the end of this month.
Thanks for that. Now I'm not so worried about the remote possibility that it's lost in the mail.

CampbellRh

Bronze

Post by CampbellRh » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:37 pm

kn6542 wrote:
wuhoo wrote:I called them since I really wanted a confirmation on the deposit I sent in last week. They hadn't received it yet, but told me that they have a VERY lax sliding deadline on deposits. The rep i spoke with told me that they wouldn't outright drop anyone if their deposit wasn't received until the end of this month.
Thanks for that. Now I'm not so worried about the remote possibility that it's lost in the mail.
Also, it just had to be POSTMARKED by the 15th, correct? In which case--if you sent it out last week--I'm sure that it is--so it should be fine, no matter how long it takes to get there.

hiphoppopotamus

New

Post by hiphoppopotamus » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:43 pm

Cornell's admissions staff is so mellow and friendly that I doubt any of you will have a problem, regardless of whether or not it was postmarked before the 15th.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:47 pm

CampbellRh wrote:
kn6542 wrote:
Also, it just had to be POSTMARKED by the 15th, correct? In which case--if you sent it out last week--I'm sure that it is--so it should be fine, no matter how long it takes to get there.
Um..the point was that if it's lost in the mail, then it wouldn't be RECEIVED, and so it wouldn't matter when it was postmarked. That's why you should send shit like this certified, which I failed to do. Bah.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:51 pm

I'm totally going there for the pet insurance, btw.

CampbellRh

Bronze

Post by CampbellRh » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:57 pm

kn6542 wrote:
CampbellRh wrote:
kn6542 wrote:
Um..the point was that if it's lost in the mail, then it wouldn't be RECEIVED, and so it wouldn't matter when it was postmarked. That's why you should send shit like this certified, which I failed to do. Bah.
i got your point...but it likely wouldn't be lost FOREVER (that does not happen all that often)...simply delayed (which happens all the time)...so even if it takes three weeks...it was postmarked, so you would be fine.

Just call again tomorrow--and if they say they can't tell you now--push it a little...they'll cave...they are usually pretty accomodating.

FWIW: I sent mine on a thursday afternoon 1.5 weeks ago--they had not processed it until the next Wednesday, when they verified by phone, I didn't get the email until that Thursday morning.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:58 pm

i got your point...but it likely wouldn't be lost FOREVER (that does not happen all that often)...simply delayed (which happens all the time)...so even if it takes three weeks...it was postmarked, so you would be fine.
In irrational paranoid fantasies, probabilities don't matter. :?

gravity

New

Post by gravity » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:06 pm

thank you... I'm not as paranoid anymore lol :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LeahNic

Bronze

Post by LeahNic » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:07 pm

The thought of it lost in the mail did not occur to me until reading this thread. The thought of certifying it CERTAINLY did not occur to me. I'm not sure whether to be stressed now that this is a possibility, or be stressed that I don't think of these things on my own. Or just reassure myself that I am an easygoing kind of person and try to pat myself on the back while secretly starting to worry that its lost in the mail.

spanktheduck

Bronze

Post by spanktheduck » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:25 pm

I should note though that when I sent in my check I did not send it with the reply form (I hadn't received it yet), just a typed a note saying it was my initial deposit. Maybe that matters?

spanktheduck

Bronze

Post by spanktheduck » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:34 pm

Here is the email i received:

Dear ----------, The Cornell Law School Law Admissions Office just wanted you to know that we have received you first seat deposit and your place in our J.D. class has been reserved. Thank you for choosing Cornell Law School and we look forward to seeing you in the fall.

cornell1L

New

Post by cornell1L » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:56 pm

You guys will learn in first semester contracts that an acceptance of an offer is good once its mailed. So in the incredibly unlikely chance your deposit did get lost in the mail you're still in good shape.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:01 am

cornell1L wrote:You guys will learn in first semester contracts that an acceptance of an offer is good once its mailed. So in the incredibly unlikely chance your deposit did get lost in the mail you're still in good shape.
Yeah, but how would anyone KNOW you accepted it if it's lost in the mail? Late is one thing, lost is another.

cornell1L

New

Post by cornell1L » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:09 am

Through a certified mail receipt or something like that.

Either way the point is not to freak out about it. The deadline is not a means by which to exclude incoming students, even if you missed the deadline completely by several days I'm sure it wouldn't make a difference. I was like this last year too although I wound up spending way too much money on FedEx just so I could track it online and see when it had arrived. With hindsight I see how needless the anxiety was.

reverie

New

Post by reverie » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:58 am

i received my email confirmation 2 weeks after i mailed it (regular, not certified).

side note, i'm sad i'm still not on the list in the first post... can i please be added? :mrgreen:

hiphoppopotamus

New

Post by hiphoppopotamus » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:20 am

side note, i'm sad i'm still not on the list in the first post... can i please be added?
yes yes of course! i try to update every few days but must've overlooked your post. sorry i missed you!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

reverie

New

Post by reverie » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:09 am

woohoo, thanks! it's all good :D

reverie

New

Post by reverie » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:26 am

just a quick question...
for those who sent in deposits early, did anyone receive the housing information packet yet? the website says we'd receive it after we send in the deposit, but i have yet to receive anything. starting to wonder if they meant that these would be sent after the deposit deadline... tried calling the office but no one's picking up.
thanks!

CampbellRh

Bronze

Post by CampbellRh » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:49 am

reverie wrote:just a quick question...
for those who sent in deposits early, did anyone receive the housing information packet yet? the website says we'd receive it after we send in the deposit, but i have yet to receive anything. starting to wonder if they meant that these would be sent after the deposit deadline... tried calling the office but no one's picking up.
thanks!
I called and asked about it, they said they send them out to everyone "mid-April"...take "mid" as you will...

ioway86

New

Post by ioway86 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:09 pm

I sent in my deposit using the little card they sent last Thursday and received an email confirmation from the law school on Tuesday evening. I was surprised by the turn around.

Do we receive email addresses or any of that jazz(registration information) this summer or at orientation?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”