Columbia Law Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
boston101

New

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2011

Post by boston101 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:34 am

This pic stuff is so confusing. I never sent in my 2x2. So, now I guess I have to do the 3x5. But is it supposed to be a 3x5 headshot?? Or, just a regular 3x5 where im part of the pic? How would they get the dimensions to work? Also, how do I check the pixels and dpi?

I wouldnt care if everyone didnt keep reminding me that the pic would be used for EVERYTHING for 3 YEARS.

UGH!!! For me this pic has been the frustrating thing about dealing with CLS.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:37 am

boston101 wrote:This pic stuff is so confusing. I never sent in my 2x2. So, now I guess I have to do the 3x5. But is it supposed to be a 3x5 headshot?? Or, just a regular 3x5 where im part of the pic? How would they get the dimensions to work? Also, how do I check the pixels and dpi?

I wouldnt care if everyone didnt keep reminding me that the pic would be used for EVERYTHING for 3 YEARS.

zOMG pix
Last edited by underdawg on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gators08

New

Post by Gators08 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:41 am

boston101 wrote:This pic stuff is so confusing. I never sent in my 2x2. So, now I guess I have to do the 3x5. But is it supposed to be a 3x5 headshot?? Or, just a regular 3x5 where im part of the pic? How would they get the dimensions to work? Also, how do I check the pixels and dpi?

I got an email today saying my picture was technically incorrect, so after a great deal of playing around I got it to 3x5 with a high enough resolution and they wrote me back saying that it looked distorted.

The worst part about 3x5 is that it isn't even a standard photograph size, so no crop tools have that as an automatic dimension.

And you can check the pixel width and height by looking at the properties for the file and going to the "Details" tab in Vista (I'm sure it's similar in other versions of Windows too but I don't remember).

boston101

New

Post by boston101 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:44 am

underdawg wrote:

zOMG pix
yup yup. Now if you cant help me with it, begone.

What is pixel width exactly? Im looking at a standard photo and it says it 980 pixel width. I dont get this AT ALL.

boston101

New

Post by boston101 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:46 am

Im using Microsoft picture manager and its not working out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:49 am

Paste the pic into MSWord and use the rulers to resize it to 3x5 maybe?
Last edited by underdawg on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gators08

New

Post by Gators08 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:50 am

boston101 wrote:
underdawg wrote:

zOMG pix
yup yup. Now if you cant help me with it, begone.

What is pixel width exactly? Im looking at a standard photo and it says it 980 pixel width. I dont get this AT ALL.
It's the number of dots that make up that edge of the picture. What I would do if I were you:

Go to --LinkRemoved-- and download the Resizor tool. It's a smart (content aware) tool to add pixels to an image. (And only like 4 MB)

Tell it to leave the aspect ratio the same so you don't distort the picture (don't unlink the little chain button) but to make the width a lot more pixels (like 3,000+ since they said it needs to be at least 2,000 and you may not be able to crop it).

Save that (it will be as a bitmap), open it in either Windows Picture Viewer or Google Picasa and save a copy as a JPEG

Send it to them like that and say you don't have a tool that can crop to 3 x 5, so can they please help.

Granted I'm not sure they've accepted my third submission yet, but that will at least give you a picture with as many pixels as they want.

boston101

New

Post by boston101 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:57 am

Gators, thanks alot. Im going to try that tomorrow. Why is this such a headache??

Gators08

New

Post by Gators08 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:01 am

I'm not entirely sure. They could certainly have made it much easier by requesting a standard picture size (say, 4x6) instead of 3x5. And for the life of me I can't figure out what they are doing that they need a photograph with that high of a resolution for, I don't mind my student ID being a little blurry and I assume the picture for the seating chart is little anyways.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

caits

New

Post by caits » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:10 am

I was just reading back through what I missed while away- for anyone who isn't sure if they have done everything they need to do for financial aid, email the office and ask. I had thought I was all set before my trip but emailed just to check, and they had a list of tasks that I might never have stumbled upon by myself. I'm pretty sure the 5 different websites/login names and assorted random things that need to get done are our first test of the semester- "Let's see if they can handle a little stress and hassle like responsible adults" or something...

Soulofheaven8

New

Post by Soulofheaven8 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:30 am

Since we are on the topic of financial aid, did anyone notice that in the Financial Aid section of the Admitted Students Handbook, under Important Dates to Remember, for July it says "Entering grant recipients submit Grant Data Sheet, biographical sketch, and resume to FAO."

I don't think we've received these items or notification of where to obtain them. Is that correct?

caits

New

Post by caits » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:40 am

The grant form was one of the things finaid emailed me about that I hadn't heard of yet- go to http://www.law.columbia.edu/login?redir ... antform%3F, log in with "grant" as the ID and "form" as the password, and it will take you right to the form. Make sure you have a copy of your resume that you can cut and paste into the form, and have fun writing your biography (especially after reading the sample one).

Soulofheaven8

New

Post by Soulofheaven8 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:55 am

Thanks. That thing was definitely made unnecessarily obscure. :(

Did the email mention when we have to get this done by?

So for the resume that we are supposed to include, should we put Columbia Law School under Education? I read somewhere that we're not supposed to put anticipated degrees until we are actually start attending classes there...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

caits

New

Post by caits » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:02 pm

I opened the resume that I uploaded to LSDAS, copied and pasted it, since nothing has changed since app season for me. If you have had any different jobs since then, or graduated from something, you'd probably want to change it to reflect that. I don't think they're too worried. And from what I've heard, don't worry about updating your resume to include Columbia stuff until November (which is the earliest the career office is allowed to talk to us about 1L summer jobs).

boston101

New

Post by boston101 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:48 pm

I finally gave up. Im just going to have to take my chances with the pic they take of me. FUGLY pic here I come!

M51

Bronze

Post by M51 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:12 am

Same here. I don't even think my digital camera's up to snuff. :| I just got tired of the poor publications guy telling me repeated that my picture's been rejected.

On the bright side, UAH finally got back to me on housing! They pretty much gave me the exact opposite of every single one of my preferences, but at least I won't be homeless. 2Ls/3Ls, can anyone give me the scoop on the building on 108th (the same one dinolove's in)? All UAH can tell me is that it's an unfurnished apartment share next to central park.

Also, does anyone know how much an average month's worth of utilities w/ a/c will be in Manhattan? I need to re-do my budget since this place is much more expensive than I requested.

caits

New

Post by caits » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:19 pm

Aw, good that you got a place, M, but it sucks that it isn't what you wanted. At least if you hate it it's only for a year...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:43 pm

That sucks, M. Based on the location you'd think it should be one of the cheaper places. (It seems to get cheaper as it gets more remote from the law school.) It's shared, you say? Weird.

I'm sorry, I can't give you any info on the building (haven't been there) nor on utilities (since they are included in my rent), but the neighborhood is nice.

00TREX00

Bronze

Post by 00TREX00 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:45 pm

Last edited by 00TREX00 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghenderson

New

Post by ghenderson » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:48 pm

A little off topic, but have all you guys filled out the MMR form yet? I just read somewhere that it's supposed to be in 1 month before classes start?

Also, if I didn't get an e-mail telling me that my picture was rejected, does that mean I'm good? please say yes

caits

New

Post by caits » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:25 pm

Ugh, MMR form was a pain in the ass because you need a healthcare professional to sign it, and getting to my doctor is a chore. I'd get that done soon.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

biglawbound

New

Post by biglawbound » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:09 am

Lenfest studio off the waitlist, ballin

M51

Bronze

Post by M51 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:57 am

00TREX00 wrote:M, I´m on 108th as well, probably the same building. I´m also a little bugged by it, but at least we are right on the park.
I wonder how safe that area is at night... since we'll probably be walking back from the library late at night, alone, at least fairly often during finals prep.
Also, will we need to bring our casebooks to class? (or, will we actually need to bring our casebooks back to our apts?). Hauling heavy books 20 blocks each day would not be fun. :|

Soulofheaven8

New

Post by Soulofheaven8 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:41 am

Hmm, that's a good question regarding casebooks. I think unless you plan to do all your readings in the library, you'll probably need to bring them back to your apt. As for bringing them to class, I have seen CLS students carrying casebooks in Jerome Greene, but I don't know if it's because they were bringing them to class or between their lockers and the library.

Soulofheaven8

New

Post by Soulofheaven8 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:47 am

is there anyone else whose loans still haven't been approved (and submitted your loan application before May 15th)?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”