U Chicago 11 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
Wally.

New

Re: U Chicago 11

Post by Wally. » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:44 pm

There's a good chance that UChicago will be my school of choice.

Moosashi

New

Post by Moosashi » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:33 pm

How much competition is there for spots in the various clinics?

deadfun

New

Post by deadfun » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:56 am

The competition for summer jobs in the clinics is pretty intense. Over half the class applies. Getting a job with one of the clinics is the only way to ensure you will get a spot in your clinic of choice for the remainder of law school.

Otherwise, clinic spots are done by lottery. I think practically everyone who wants one gets a spot somewhere, but it might be your second pick. All the clinics are great though, so not a huge deal.

annon

New

Post by annon » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:00 am

Although that could change in the future since we just added 2 new clinics.

Moosashi

New

Post by Moosashi » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:18 pm

I'm currently on the waiting list but it looks like there'll be some movement and I was told my application is up for review. If I'm admitted, the opportunity to participate in the Institute for Justice clinic (entrepreneurship) would be a major reason for accepting the offer. With that being the case, I'd be pretty disappointed if the luck of the draw prevented me from ever getting involved. Is that particular clinic more/less competitive than the others? Do you guys know people in the clinic or who want to be?

Annon, which two clinics are the new ones? Are they on the law school's website?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

annon

New

Post by annon » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:04 pm

Moosashi wrote:I'm currently on the waiting list but it looks like there'll be some movement and I was told my application is up for review. If I'm admitted, the opportunity to participate in the Institute for Justice clinic (entrepreneurship) would be a major reason for accepting the offer. With that being the case, I'd be pretty disappointed if the luck of the draw prevented me from ever getting involved. Is that particular clinic more/less competitive than the others? Do you guys know people in the clinic or who want to be?
Sorry, I can't really answer since we 1Ls don't really know much about clinics at this stage (besides what we randomly hear from 2Ls and 3Ls). I don't think I know anyone in the IJ clinic (but I might), although I do know two people who actually worked for the Institute for Justice (the organization, not the clinic) over their 1L summer. And I know at least one person who is attending IJ's student conference this summer. Not sure if you're interested in those things as well...
Annon, which two clinics are the new ones? Are they on the law school's website?
One of the new ones is up on the website:

--LinkRemoved--

I don't know if the second one has been announced (I just heard about it from someone- that we added two new clinics).

gedmem2

New

Post by gedmem2 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:41 pm

Hey there looks like I'll be joining you all at UChicago in the fall!!!!!

lawhooligan

New

Post by lawhooligan » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:58 pm

oooh me too! see you guys in september...enjoy your long summer!

gedmem2

New

Post by gedmem2 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:13 pm

lawhooligan wrote:oooh me too! see you guys in september...enjoy your long summer!
Yay! Lawhooligan, didn't I talk to you about law and psychology stuff at some point or was that someone else? If so, did you see in the letter from the dean that they are expecting a new law and psych scholar? Exciting!

I'm almost finished with Sunstein & Thaler's book Nudge and I must say I'm a big fan of Behavioral Law & Econ.

What are people thinking for housing? I am very tempted to live up north since so many 2Ls and 3Ls do that anyway and I hate moving, but I don't want to be isolated from the other 1Ls either.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawhooligan

New

Post by lawhooligan » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:02 am

yes...that sounds familiar...in my nu vs chicago debate. yeah, i think the mental health clinic might really be all i need on that front. i don't know the city at all so i'll probably just live in hyde park 1L year till i figure out where else i'd like to be (that and i heart conformity).

anyway, i'm really happy with my decision...though maybe i should spend my summer brushing up on econ

annon

New

Post by annon » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:52 pm

lawhooligan wrote:yes...that sounds familiar...in my nu vs chicago debate. yeah, i think the mental health clinic might really be all i need on that front. i don't know the city at all so i'll probably just live in hyde park 1L year till i figure out where else i'd like to be (that and i heart conformity).
I've liked being in Hyde Park my 1L year (just for the ease of getting to know classmates), but I am planning on moving North next year. Although, I know a lot of people staying in Hyde Park next year as well.
anyway, i'm really happy with my decision...though maybe i should spend my summer brushing up on econ
I wouldn't worry about that at all. I've never taken an econ course at all and I haven't had a problem here. I've found that most of the econ stuff you'll be exposed to is either intuitive or easy to pick up (probably not true if you yourself end up voluntarily taking econ-heavy courses, but I'm talking about the required courses here).

ubuntu

Bronze

Post by ubuntu » Thu May 01, 2008 6:37 pm

hey guys,

i was just admitted off the waitlist! but dean perry called me when i was awkwardly on the bus home and i tried to memorize the name/password to the admitted students website but clearly failed. i know it's like, class11, then the password begins with a c or something? something like case? could someone pm it to me? i'd greatly appreciate it :)

cerise

New

Post by cerise » Fri May 02, 2008 12:53 am

ubuntu- do you still need the password?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ubuntu

Bronze

Post by ubuntu » Fri May 02, 2008 2:38 pm

i do! if someone could let me know that'd be awesome.

gedmem2

New

Post by gedmem2 » Fri May 02, 2008 6:00 pm

Congrats ubuntu! Will you be joining us?

Wally.

New

Post by Wally. » Sun May 04, 2008 1:56 pm

I sent a housing deposit earlier this morning, and I would love to chat more with future UC students or current UC students in this forum.

How is everyone?

gedmem2

New

Post by gedmem2 » Sun May 04, 2008 2:09 pm

Hmmm housing deposit. Is that something I should have already done?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Wally.

New

Post by Wally. » Sun May 04, 2008 4:18 pm

gedmem2 wrote:Hmmm housing deposit. Is that something I should have already done?
Students told me that Regents fills up quickly, and there was no point in dallying. Do you plan to live in University housing?

gedmem2

New

Post by gedmem2 » Wed May 07, 2008 7:58 pm

Wally. wrote:
gedmem2 wrote:Hmmm housing deposit. Is that something I should have already done?
Students told me that Regents fills up quickly, and there was no point in dallying. Do you plan to live in University housing?
I plan to live in Regents, I'm just now reading up on all this. Hopefully it's not too late!

P.S. Whose excited about doc films?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doc_Films

M2008

New

Post by M2008 » Fri May 09, 2008 10:32 am

Anyone know if everyone gets the invite to apply for the Patino Fellowship?

gedmem2

New

Post by gedmem2 » Fri May 09, 2008 10:59 am

M2008 wrote:Anyone know if everyone gets the invite to apply for the Patino Fellowship?
Pretty sure anyone can apply since the application is right there on the website, although I guess its possible they only invite/remind some people. . .

Also, hello there M2008! :P

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

annon

New

Post by annon » Fri May 09, 2008 2:25 pm

Anyone can apply for the Patino, and everyone is reminded of it too I believe. Although, I personally didn't apply.

Also, as some people were asking about clinics earlier, here are the 9 clinics we now have:

* Civil Rights and Police Accountability
* Criminal and Juvenile Justice
* Employment Discrimination
* Exoneration Project
* Federal Criminal Justice
* Immigrant Children's Advocacy
* IJ Clinic on Entrepreneurship
* Low Income Housing Development
* Mental Health

There is also an Appellate Advocacy Clinic, but thats quite a bit different.

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Sat May 10, 2008 7:23 pm

A question for the current 1Ls: did any of you make the choice between Northwestern and U of C? I just got accepted to UChicago, but I was already planning to go to NU. Now I have a decision to make. I'd love to hear from anyone who chose between the two and why he/she picked U of C over NU. Thanks!

Wally.

New

Post by Wally. » Mon May 26, 2008 5:59 pm

This thread deserves a bump.

oscist

New

Post by oscist » Thu May 29, 2008 4:24 pm

i'll be attending.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.