GW Law School Class of '11 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
zoysite

New

Re: GW Law School Class of '11

Post by zoysite » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:24 am

I'm planning on living on the orange line around the Courthouse metro stop.
prettypithy wrote:Anyone thinking of living in nearby areas of VA and commuting? I assume its cheaper.

gyuni

New

Post by gyuni » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:19 pm

friaznatch13 wrote:For anyone that lives in the DC area right now, or has in the past... What's the situation with parking? It's ridiulously expensive to get a pasking pass, but like... are there parking garages or just lots to park in? I'm from Canada so I need to bring my car to get home I'm a homebody but the flights would be ridiculous... What should I do?
there are parking garages but expect to pay a couple hundred bucks a month. i lived in dc for about a year and i chose to register my car in dc - it's a hassle with the dmv (you need title in your name and proof of residence etc) but street parking is $15 a YEAR and you have the pass to park in zone 2. i became an expert in parallel parking and didn't have much problems finding a spot.

thisabyssisbliss

New

Post by thisabyssisbliss » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:06 am

I will probably be there, Most likely living in Arlington unless we (my SO and I) find a great deal in Dupont or woodley park

MPaulE

New

Post by MPaulE » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:04 pm

I haven't had a chance to see it since preview day, but doesn't GWU's law library look like it sucks? I hope the main UG/Grad library, Gelman, is better because I like studying/reading in the library.

sky7

Bronze

Post by sky7 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:31 am

Why do you say it sucked? I thought it was pretty good. That's where I'll be doing all my studying.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MPaulE

New

Post by MPaulE » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:48 am

Well, I thought it a bit cramped. The ceilings were pretty low and each individual floor was pretty small. I like libraries with larger reading rooms and lots of windows for sunlight.

MPaulE

New

Post by MPaulE » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:52 am

I just searched for some pictures of it, and they didn't look too bad. Maybe my preview day guide didn't show the group the whole library....... :)

thisabyssisbliss

New

Post by thisabyssisbliss » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:18 pm

why does this thread suck?

MPaulE

New

Post by MPaulE » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:28 am

thisabyssisbliss wrote:why does this thread suck?

Because there aren't enough future GWUers on TLS?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MPaulE

New

Post by MPaulE » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:53 pm

For all of you who are now at GW, what's your section #?

thisabyssisbliss

New

Post by thisabyssisbliss » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:19 pm

12A

applejuice

New

Post by applejuice » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:46 am

My girlfriend is in her last year at GWU. I am very familiar with the campus. First off, its awesome. I like this campus better than Georgetown which is still in DC but in a more residential area. GW is like smack dab in the heart of the city. The students also get TONS of opportunities because of its prestige and there are numerous opp's in DC. Housing can be expensive (if you don't know any better). My g/f stayed on campus and paid $1k a month for a 2 bedroom. However, like the other poster said, once you visit and get yourself familiarized with the area you will learn where to go to find affordable housing. My g/f stayed on campus her first yr just to get adjusted and she clerked at a law firm a few blocks away. I have another friend that stayed in the Chinatown area, about 10-15 min away and she payed about $1k for a studio and then others who rented rooms in houses and paid anywhere from $600-$800 a month. Parking is definitely expensive in DC period. Everyone gets really upset about the amount of tickets they get but then it just turns out to be a way of life, unless you get a bike or take the train. Most of the areas in DC are metro accessible and another advantage is that GW has its own train stop (foggy bottom) and shutttles. But the school offers parking in a garage, I think the going rate is about $200 a month. There are cool places to eat. Your typical cheap places and then lots of high-end places, b/c its in the middle of the city. Its also not far from the Georgetown area and even offers complimentary shuttle services to Georgetown-a higher end area with lots of shopping/eateries/movie theater. In terms of being competitive, my g/f says that its about the same as any other top 25. The students can be pretty laidback. But she did tell me how there were like a group of 7 students that had access to like the best outlines and you had to pretty much have someone from the "group" get confirmation from the other "group members" to pass on old test info/materials. I assume this is materials from other students that did really well in a certain course. Overall she likes it, and has had amazing teachers, one that even taught Presidential nominee Barack Obama at Harvard. Oh and another advantage is that students have a good option for classes b/c they have a part-time program. Hope some of that helps. Oh another thing CL is a great place to check out housing.

arfx3

New

Post by arfx3 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:43 pm

I know this really isnt under the topic of the discussion but have any of you who have been admitted or are still current students get in with a 158/3.95. Im thinking of applying for next year on their early application and didnt know if I have a realistic shot. Have 4 recommendation letters and a very good personal statement + diversity statement. Do you guys think I should go for it?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”