Georgetown Law Class of 2011

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
User avatar
spree234
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:25 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2011

Postby spree234 » Tue May 06, 2008 4:37 pm

^That is hysterical and basically sums up all of the Facebook features that I hate! I like the feed, but I think it is really annoying when I log in and someone I barely know from high school is taking up all of the stories by having fed zombies or eaten werewolves or slain vampires or some other ridiculous nonsense from one of those stupid applications.

User avatar
qwertyman
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 10:02 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2011

Postby qwertyman » Wed May 07, 2008 12:19 am

Hi,

I got in off the waitlist a few days ago. I visited yesterday and had a really good time. Basically, I've put in a seat deposit at Vandy; they've done a great job of charming me over the past few months. Would coming to GULC be worth it paying sticker price, as opposed to Vandy with 20k in no strings attached grant aid?

User avatar
gmail
Posts: 1012
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:41 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2011

Postby gmail » Wed May 07, 2008 12:32 am

For what it's worth the "Woodley Park/Adams Morgan/Zoo" stop is the biggest crock of shit ever. The Cleveland Park stop is closer to the zoo and the Dupont stop is probably closer to Adams Morgan. As a red-line patron for more than two decades, this has always pissed me off.

User avatar
Holly Madison
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:58 am

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2011

Postby Holly Madison » Wed May 07, 2008 12:49 am

qwertyman wrote:Hi,

I got in off the waitlist a few days ago. I visited yesterday and had a really good time. Basically, I've put in a seat deposit at Vandy; they've done a great job of charming me over the past few months. Would coming to GULC be worth it paying sticker price, as opposed to Vandy with 20k in no strings attached grant aid?


Did you mention the offer from Vandy to GULC? They might not be able to match it, but maybe they could give you something to make it a little easier to make the right choice ;)

User avatar
scoutfinch80
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:59 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2011

Postby scoutfinch80 » Wed May 07, 2008 9:28 am

qwertyman wrote:Hi,

I got in off the waitlist a few days ago. I visited yesterday and had a really good time. Basically, I've put in a seat deposit at Vandy; they've done a great job of charming me over the past few months. Would coming to GULC be worth it paying sticker price, as opposed to Vandy with 20k in no strings attached grant aid?


Congratulations on getting in off the wait list! Did you get $20K total over three years at Vandy, or $20K per year?

I ask because I believe G-town's merit aid pool is pretty diminished. I believe they are only giving out $5K per year scholarships at this point. If you got $20K total at Vandy, though, that might be comparable for you.

Regardless, it's definitely worth asking G-town what they can offer. Good luck!

User avatar
danko
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:17 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2011

Postby danko » Wed May 07, 2008 10:05 am

gmail wrote:For what it's worth the "Woodley Park/Adams Morgan/Zoo" stop is the biggest crock of shit ever. The Cleveland Park stop is closer to the zoo and the Dupont stop is probably closer to Adams Morgan. As a red-line patron for more than two decades, this has always pissed me off.


Would you prefer that the Cleveland Park metro station be flooded with tourists and screaming kids?

The most deceptive names center on universities. The Shaw-Howard University stop is slightly farther from Howard University than the U St-Cardozo stop. The Tenleytown-American University stop is close to a mile from the AU campus. The College Park-U of MD stop is about that far away to the closest edge of campus, let alone to anyplace in the middle of campus.

User avatar
scoutfinch80
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:59 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2011

Postby scoutfinch80 » Wed May 07, 2008 10:23 am

..
Last edited by scoutfinch80 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
danko
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:17 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2011

Postby danko » Wed May 07, 2008 11:40 am

scoutfinch80 wrote:This Metro talk reminds me of Boston, where only unknowing tourists get off at the "Fenway" stop to go to Fenway Park...instead of Kenmore.

I always thought it was odd that Adams Morgan has its name in a Metro stop, yet everyone talks about how Adams Morgan is not accessible via the Metro.


They added the name a few years ago as a way to encourage people to take the metro rather than drive to Adams Morgan. For a night out it's not a big deal, but if you live in Adams Morgan the long walk to the metro is much more of a problem.

The same goes for the Georgetown, Glover Park, and Cathedral neighborhoods. These are nice areas, but relying primarily on bus service (or driving) is a pain.

User avatar
scoutfinch80
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:59 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2011

Postby scoutfinch80 » Wed May 07, 2008 4:08 pm

..
Last edited by scoutfinch80 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ludo
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2011

Postby Ludo » Wed May 07, 2008 5:31 pm

Here's a question. I see there's an Ikea in college park, MD, which Ikea.com tells me is 10 miles away. Do they deliver? Is there a way to get there? Or if/when I buy furniture am I going to have to rent a pickup or something?

I'll be honest, I've never been to DC, so I have no idea.

User avatar
danko
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:17 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2011

Postby danko » Wed May 07, 2008 8:35 pm

scoutfinch80 wrote:Okay - let's talk "fun things to do in DC." There seem to be a lot of native DC-ers on this thread. Places I've been to and liked include:

Tryst in Adam's Morgan
Afterwords in Dupont Circle
Rhino Bar in Georgetown (because it's a Red Sox bar :D )
Madam's Organ in Adam's Morgan

This is based on two short vacations in DC, so I could be entirely off mark and these all might actually suck and be tourist traps. Can the insiders share their wisdom about some great hidden gems for a night out?


Georgetown in general is a bit of a tourist trap, but the others are definitely local favorites.

The City Paper had a surprisingly decent "best of" issue lately.
http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/best ... danddrink/

Here are a few of my favorites, which may not appeal to all ages and appetites.

U Street:
The Saloon (Great beer. Owner and bartender encourage patrons to talk to each other)
Dukem (Ethiopian food). All the places on 11th St are good, too.

Mt Pleasant:
The Raven (A formerly smoke-filled dive. I don't know if the smoking ban killed it. Pre-ban the smoke nearly killed me)

Adams Morgan:
L'Enfant Cafe (dinner crepes and Belgian beer)

Woodley Park:
The Zoo Bar (only if you sit outside)

Dupont Circle:
The Fox and Hound (sit outside - if you can find a seat).

Cleveland Park:
Aroma (Always a good pour from the bartenders. Like any place in DC, it's better on a weeknight. Weekends can feel like Bethesda South)

Metro Center:
Cafe Mozart (German beer happy hour populated by South Americans from the Inter American Development Bank. So not cool and so not DC. It's great.)

User avatar
danko
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:17 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2011

Postby danko » Wed May 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Ludo wrote:Here's a question. I see there's an Ikea in college park, MD, which Ikea.com tells me is 10 miles away. Do they deliver? Is there a way to get there? Or if/when I buy furniture am I going to have to rent a pickup or something?

I'll be honest, I've never been to DC, so I have no idea.


You'll need to drive there. Ikea furniture all fits in flat boxes so a hatchback might be enough. They deliver for a price.

Da Stain
Posts: 520
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:50 am

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2011

Postby Da Stain » Wed May 07, 2008 9:39 pm

I might suggest Zipcar/flexcar. It's $50 start up and then its $8/hr including gas and insurance. They're located all around the city and pretty convenient for doing stuff like Ikea/Costco (one in MD, one in VA), etc.

User avatar
Ludo
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2011

Postby Ludo » Wed May 07, 2008 10:05 pm

SgtBilko wrote:I might suggest Zipcar/flexcar. It's $50 start up and then its $8/hr including gas and insurance. They're located all around the city and pretty convenient for doing stuff like Ikea/Costco (one in MD, one in VA), etc.

That's a good idea. I'll have to look into that.

User avatar
gmail
Posts: 1012
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:41 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2011

Postby gmail » Thu May 08, 2008 11:31 am

I had a meal once at Cafe Mozart and I kind of hated the place. I mean, the idea of it, a restaurant filled with kitschy crap behind a small grocery store, is cool. But in reality I was underwhelmed. My dish was a sausage on a plate... and nothing else.

User avatar
the rza
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 10:33 am

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2011

Postby the rza » Thu May 08, 2008 2:35 pm

Georgetown in general is a bit of a tourist trap, but the others are definitely local favorites.


agreed. unless you are a georgetown UG there really isn't any good reason to hang out there, in my opinion.

User avatar
scoutfinch80
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:59 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2011

Postby scoutfinch80 » Thu May 08, 2008 4:58 pm

There appears to be a dearth of Trader Joe's in DC. This makes me extremely sad. Also, does anyone know if the TJs in the area sell wine? I am obsessed with the cheap yet good wine there.

User avatar
scoutfinch80
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:59 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2011

Postby scoutfinch80 » Thu May 08, 2008 5:17 pm

I'm sure you all got the email, but we can now officially choose our curriculum! You just need to log into the admitted students site and click on "Academics." I chose Curriculum B. I hope there is room for me and it doesn't go to a lottery!

User avatar
danko
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:17 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2011

Postby danko » Thu May 08, 2008 6:57 pm

scoutfinch80 wrote:There appears to be a dearth of Trader Joe's in DC. This makes me extremely sad. Also, does anyone know if the TJs in the area sell wine? I am obsessed with the cheap yet good wine there.


You have to go to Virginia to find a Trader Joe's that sells beer and wine. The Whole Foods at 14th and P has a good beer/wine selection, but as you might expect it's not cheap.

Da Stain
Posts: 520
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:50 am

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2011

Postby Da Stain » Thu May 08, 2008 7:14 pm

the rza wrote:
Georgetown in general is a bit of a tourist trap, but the others are definitely local favorites.


agreed. unless you are a georgetown UG there really isn't any good reason to hang out there, in my opinion.


A few reasons to hang in G'town as a law student:

1. Mr. Smith's is a cool bar, IMO that isn't undergrad-y.
2. Waterfront has some good bars.
3. Sprinkling of good, but not great and otherwise unmatchable restaurants. But some are pretty unique and worth the trip if you're going out to eat and drink anyway.
4. Unlike some other areas of the city, you can go out there without worrying about turning down the wrong street.
5. Let's face it, G'town does attract some good looking girls in the warm months. Old Glory patio is among my favorite places to go in the summer.

Does it suck? To some. But it's not totally bad.

User avatar
the rza
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 10:33 am

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2011

Postby the rza » Thu May 08, 2008 8:01 pm

danko wrote:
scoutfinch80 wrote:There appears to be a dearth of Trader Joe's in DC. This makes me extremely sad. Also, does anyone know if the TJs in the area sell wine? I am obsessed with the cheap yet good wine there.


You have to go to Virginia to find a Trader Joe's that sells beer and wine. The Whole Foods at 14th and P has a good beer/wine selection, but as you might expect it's not cheap.


Nope, the TJ in Foggy Bottom sells alcohol. Free Parking too.

User avatar
the rza
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 10:33 am

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2011

Postby the rza » Thu May 08, 2008 8:02 pm

SgtBilko wrote:
the rza wrote:
Georgetown in general is a bit of a tourist trap, but the others are definitely local favorites.


agreed. unless you are a georgetown UG there really isn't any good reason to hang out there, in my opinion.


A few reasons to hang in G'town as a law student:

1. Mr. Smith's is a cool bar, IMO that isn't undergrad-y.
2. Waterfront has some good bars.
3. Sprinkling of good, but not great and otherwise unmatchable restaurants. But some are pretty unique and worth the trip if you're going out to eat and drink anyway.
4. Unlike some other areas of the city, you can go out there without worrying about turning down the wrong street.
5. Let's face it, G'town does attract some good looking girls in the warm months. Old Glory patio is among my favorite places to go in the summer.

Does it suck? To some. But it's not totally bad.


points taken, it does get quite pricey up there it seems, though.

Da Stain
Posts: 520
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:50 am

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2011

Postby Da Stain » Thu May 08, 2008 8:06 pm

Oh for sure. No HH specials really like there are on Cap. Hill. No way to get there on Metro and no way to get back except for cabs. Personally, I'm more the type to go out with a group of 8-10 people to a shitty bar than 4 guys on the hunt to G'town places. If I was at GULC, I'd be a regular at Irish Times.

hell, I only go out in G'town now about once every 2 months. Certainly more time for me spent in AdMo since graduation, but that might be because we never really went there when I was a UG.

User avatar
the rza
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 10:33 am

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2011

Postby the rza » Thu May 08, 2008 8:10 pm

just got back from said cap. hill HH specials, nothing beats it. and you should be at GULC.

Da Stain
Posts: 520
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:50 am

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2011

Postby Da Stain » Thu May 08, 2008 8:12 pm

Toughest choice I've really ever had to make. I think it really came down to just wanting to be out of a city for a little while. I liked the idea of having a time limit for not being part of the urban grind.




Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest