Georgetown Law Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
the rza

Bronze

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2011

Post by the rza » Thu May 08, 2008 9:46 pm

i might have made the same choice, you can't go wrong with uva

the rza

Bronze

Post by the rza » Fri May 09, 2008 8:47 am

so which curriculum are people choosing now that we can pick? I went with A.

chill06

New

Post by chill06 » Fri May 09, 2008 9:02 am

I went with B. I'm excited for it. I'm hoping that because it is self-selected we will get all the most awesome people from our class. Do people think that more or less people from B will be straight out of undergrad?

the rza

Bronze

Post by the rza » Fri May 09, 2008 9:18 am

I would say more, but that's just a wild guess.

scoutfinch80

New

Post by scoutfinch80 » Fri May 09, 2008 9:28 am

I have spoken with some B alumni who say it is primarily older students.

Also, there is a great student blog (I believe this has been linked before somewhere else on the boards) that goes into incredible detail about Curriculum B and what it entails.

http://scoplaw.blogs.com/scoplaw/sectio ... index.html

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iwasgoingtobeasenator

New

Post by iwasgoingtobeasenator » Fri May 09, 2008 1:43 pm

scoutfinch80 wrote:I have spoken with some B alumni who say it is primarily older students.

Also, there is a great student blog (I believe this has been linked before somewhere else on the boards) that goes into incredible detail about Curriculum B and what it entails.

http://scoplaw.blogs.com/scoplaw/sectio ... index.html
After reading the beginning of that link, I can already tell that Curriculum B is not for me. I'm all about adjustment and reform, but ...
American legal culture is plagued by seemingly intractable problems, of which hierarchy, bias, and ideological paralysis are just a few. These problems (which reflect and perpetuate a larger capitalist, racist, sexist, speciesist, ageist, imperialist culture) are replicated in and by law schools, which inculcate and indoctrinate law students into this evil hegemonic empire
This turned me off, sounded WAAAY too much like my ugrad major, and often times the issues presented there were unconvincing to say the least.

the rza

Bronze

Post by the rza » Fri May 09, 2008 1:53 pm

well to be fair i'm sure georgetown wouldn't endorse that characterization. this blogger just seems like a total idiot to me - and i'm a pretty liberal guy. sounds like he just finished reading 'peoples history of the united states' or something.

iwasgoingtobeasenator

New

Post by iwasgoingtobeasenator » Fri May 09, 2008 2:16 pm

the rza wrote:well to be fair i'm sure georgetown wouldn't endorse that characterization. this blogger just seems like a total idiot to me - and i'm a pretty liberal guy. sounds like he just finished reading 'peoples history of the united states' or something.
Fair enough.

danko

New

Post by danko » Fri May 09, 2008 2:17 pm

The Curriculum B class I attended certainly didn't have that tone or approach. It was definitely a law class - not some ham-handed diatribe against colonialism. The students didn't seem any older than the rest of the student body, though the prevalence of beards was probably higher than in the other sections.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

scoutfinch80

New

Post by scoutfinch80 » Fri May 09, 2008 2:41 pm

Hmm, to be honest, I hadn't even read a lot of those entries on the blog. The specific one that I found interesting and helpful was this one:

http://scoplaw.blogs.com/scoplaw/2005/0 ... ght_c.html

iwasgoingtobeasenator

New

Post by iwasgoingtobeasenator » Fri May 09, 2008 3:11 pm

Ok neat. Definitely more helpful. Still thinking A, but that definitely puts the section in a better light.

the rza

Bronze

Post by the rza » Fri May 09, 2008 3:13 pm

for what it's worth, sockpuppet was going for B before he defected. i posted a link to that thread somewhere a few pages back. and we know sockpuppet is always right. always.

i'm still going with A, though.

iwasgoingtobeasenator

New

Post by iwasgoingtobeasenator » Fri May 09, 2008 3:22 pm

the rza wrote:for what it's worth, sockpuppet was going for B before he defected. i posted a link to that thread somewhere a few pages back. and we know sockpuppet is always right. always.

i'm still going with A, though.
We'll miss you sock. RIP. Oops, I meant... "Go Wolverines."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

scoutfinch80

New

Post by scoutfinch80 » Fri May 09, 2008 3:41 pm

I definitely wavered for awhile before committing to B. I spoke with a former Public Interest Law Scholar from G-town who did A...and he was the only PILS who did. His reason was because clerking was important to him, and he said that he was afraid his chances would be lessened if he did not have a more traditional curriculum under his belt. That caused me to think it over for awhile, but I ultimately decided that clerking is not a top goal of mine. He did say that B has a definite PI slant, which is very appealing to me.

the rza

Bronze

Post by the rza » Fri May 09, 2008 3:44 pm

that was one of my concerns about B too. did he confirm that it really does hurt your chances of clerking or was that just an assumption?

scoutfinch80

New

Post by scoutfinch80 » Fri May 09, 2008 4:02 pm

In his email to me, he said he had taken the advice of "talented attorneys" he knew who felt that the judges for whom they had clerked would be "shocked" to see a student's transcript without the traditional 1L classes. Not the hardest evidence, but I'm betting there is a grain of truth to it.

danko

New

Post by danko » Fri May 09, 2008 4:06 pm

I'll definitely be working in the public interest field and I chose Curriculum A. I was leaning toward B for quite a while precisely because it attracts so many public interest types. But I'm not really into theory or philosophy, which is the main draw for a lot of Curric. B students.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

spree234

New

Post by spree234 » Fri May 09, 2008 9:40 pm

scoutfinch80 wrote:In his email to me, he said he had taken the advice of "talented attorneys" he knew who felt that the judges for whom they had clerked would be "shocked" to see a student's transcript without the traditional 1L classes. Not the hardest evidence, but I'm betting there is a grain of truth to it.
Ouch, I was worried about this too, but then I figured it was just a silly thought brought up by the part of my brain that likes to stress a lot and that it really wouldn't be an issue. Do you guys really think it would be an issue? Wouldn't judges be more concerned with upper-level courses taken and GPA and university name in general? Hmmm... :?

As to the quote from that blog...I think that student was just crazy...probably the MOST anti-establishment person in the whole section. The class that I went to didn't talk about any crazy theories like that and the students didn't bring anything like that up.

the gray lady

New

Post by the gray lady » Mon May 12, 2008 9:27 am

I'll be at GULC too and I chose Curriculum B. Is everyone really excited??

scoutfinch80

New

Post by scoutfinch80 » Mon May 12, 2008 11:20 am

the gray lady wrote:I'll be at GULC too and I chose Curriculum B. Is everyone really excited??
Welcome, gray lady! I love your name and avatar :D

I guess it's just hard to say if Curriculum B is a negative with judges or not. For me, the appeal of getting a unique 1L education overrides any risk, but I can understand why others would proceed with caution.

the rza

Bronze

Post by the rza » Mon May 12, 2008 4:37 pm

has anyone asked about getting a COA increase for the first year so we can buy a computer?

if you go to the admitted students website and click on the enrolling at georgetown link there is a link at the top for computer information. it says you can go to the financial aid website to find out about purchasing a computer - but there is nothing there.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

scoutfinch80

New

Post by scoutfinch80 » Tue May 13, 2008 1:00 pm

The Admitted Students site message board is (slightly) active now, for those interested in participating.

scoutfinch80

New

Post by scoutfinch80 » Tue May 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Is anyone thinking of joining any student organizations during 1L? I was just perusing the list, and I love that there is a Wine Tasters club. Sign me up :wink:

Here's the link of all SOs.

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/stuaff/St ... ations.htm

the gray lady

New

Post by the gray lady » Tue May 13, 2008 1:08 pm

There are some good ones there! I may skip out on clubs for the first year to concentrate on grades, but I'm very excited about the Beaudry Moot Court Competition for 1Ls! Anyone else thinking about doing that?

iwasgoingtobeasenator

New

Post by iwasgoingtobeasenator » Tue May 13, 2008 1:13 pm

I'll be at that sweet gym pretty often, but I'm not sure if I'll join any clubs. Maaaaaaaybe....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”