Georgetown Law Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
iwanttogotolawschool

New

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2011

Post by iwanttogotolawschool » Wed May 28, 2008 10:01 am

the rza wrote:you should have a gocard number - it's in an old email with the subject "Important Enrollment Info!"
Right you are, thanks for the help.

scoutfinch80

New

Post by scoutfinch80 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:12 am

Reminder to everyone that our second deposit of $500 is due on June 2!

iwanttogotolawschool

New

Post by iwanttogotolawschool » Wed May 28, 2008 10:18 am

Does anyone know how much resident parking at the Law Center facility costs? I can't find a price anywhere. Am I correct in assuming that having resident parking would mean that I get to leave my car there for as long as I would like?

ryan4heisman

New

Post by ryan4heisman » Wed May 28, 2008 10:35 am

anyone know when we get our georgetown email addresses?

iwanttogotolawschool

New

Post by iwanttogotolawschool » Wed May 28, 2008 12:04 pm

ryan4heisman wrote:anyone know when we get our georgetown email addresses?
End of June.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iwasgoingtobeasenator

New

Post by iwasgoingtobeasenator » Wed May 28, 2008 12:52 pm

Lenders lenders lenders. Yikes. I'm thinking Wachovia?

the rza

Bronze

Post by the rza » Wed May 28, 2008 12:55 pm

I went with AccessGroup. I wanted a non-profit and I plan to take out only GradPlus loans for LRAP purposes. I applied last week when T.H.E. was still out of the game, so it was an easy choice.

iwanttogotolawschool

New

Post by iwanttogotolawschool » Wed May 28, 2008 12:57 pm

iwasgoingtobeasenator wrote:Lenders lenders lenders. Yikes. I'm thinking Wachovia?
Yeah, I would love to see everyone's thoughts on this. I don't know anything about this stuff and am going to attempt to learn all I can over the next couple days so that I can choose wisely.

EDIT: On a less serious sidenote, I can't wait to sign up for intramural basketball.

scoutfinch80

New

Post by scoutfinch80 » Wed May 28, 2008 2:08 pm

the rza wrote:I went with AccessGroup. I wanted a non-profit and I plan to take out only GradPlus loans for LRAP purposes.
TITCR

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

iwasgoingtobeasenator

New

Post by iwasgoingtobeasenator » Wed May 28, 2008 2:45 pm

scoutfinch80 wrote:
the rza wrote:I went with AccessGroup. I wanted a non-profit and I plan to take out only GradPlus loans for LRAP purposes.
TITCR
Ok, but why AccessGroup fror GradPLUS loans? I mean, you can select other places to disburse those funds right, and aren't AccessGroup's rates like the highest?

the rza

Bronze

Post by the rza » Wed May 28, 2008 3:27 pm

scoutfinch80

New

Post by scoutfinch80 » Wed May 28, 2008 3:46 pm

rza, now that THE is back in business, and if you could change your decision, would you still go with Access?

the rza

Bronze

Post by the rza » Wed May 28, 2008 3:49 pm

I would probably go with T.H.E. because they seem to always be the highest rated, but I'm comfortable with Access. You?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

iwasgoingtobeasenator

New

Post by iwasgoingtobeasenator » Wed May 28, 2008 4:46 pm

I mean, I guess the good customer service is nice, but if they are offering no incentives right now, they are going to cost more money, which I am against. Though private companies are more of a PITA to deal with... I stilll think I'd rather get the most competitive rate for pricing purposes.

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Thu May 29, 2008 9:13 am

I'm considering a move back to DC sometime in the near future and I just wanted to point out that Craigslist is teeming with near ideal housing options. If you're not with an SO, I highly recommend going to 'Rooms and Shares' and searching 'Union Station'. There are a ton of great places available for <1200 and even <900 too. A big plus is you have a chance to meet the person you'd be living with beforehand. Also, many of them seem to be furnished and on month-to-month leases.

Even in the Adams Morgan/Dupont/Columbia heights triangle there are a lot of great places. Prices seem to drop once the wave of clueless interns subsides.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Thu May 29, 2008 10:27 am

Very very true. A lot of it has to do with how seasonal DC is between Gov't and colleges around, most leases are June-June or August-August so people always need subletters. Once you've been screwed on the intern season though rather than eat 3 full months, you just want someone in there.

Apartments in the area are also considerably cheaper for leases that don't start in the summer.

scoutfinch80

New

Post by scoutfinch80 » Thu May 29, 2008 2:45 pm

the rza wrote:I would probably go with T.H.E. because they seem to always be the highest rated, but I'm comfortable with Access. You?
I think I'm going with Access, but I still haven't made my final decision yet.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

iwasgoingtobeasenator

New

Post by iwasgoingtobeasenator » Thu May 29, 2008 2:49 pm

scoutfinch80 wrote:
the rza wrote:I would probably go with T.H.E. because they seem to always be the highest rated, but I'm comfortable with Access. You?
Ok other than rating and comfort, are you guys considering the expense, or your interest rate? I mean, those are really relevant concerns, right?

iwanttogotolawschool

New

Post by iwanttogotolawschool » Sat May 31, 2008 8:48 am

Does anyone know how often the interest capitalizes on the Sallie Mae loans vs. T.H.E.?

robibh1

New

Post by robibh1 » Sat May 31, 2008 4:31 pm

Is there a general rule of thumb for safe areas in Capitol Hill (ie nothing east of 13th or north of D)?

More specifically does anyone have any advice on living around 10th and C?

Coming from Hawaii and NC the DC area is extremely confusing.

danko

New

Post by danko » Sat May 31, 2008 6:38 pm

Some of it depends on whether you are in the NE or SE side of Capitol Hill. Staying west of 13th St is a good idea in most cases. The lower the letter/number combo the better, though those places will tend to cost the most. You can go north of D in NE Cap Hill (or south of D St in SE Cap Hill) but I wouldn't venture too far past that. SW DC is also worth considering though some parts are sketchy.

The NE side of the Hill is certainly closer to the Law Center, but if you see something listed near Eastern Market (SE) I'd give it strong consideration.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

scoutfinch80

New

Post by scoutfinch80 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:26 pm

iwasgoingtobeasenator wrote:
scoutfinch80 wrote:
Ok other than rating and comfort, are you guys considering the expense, or your interest rate? I mean, those are really relevant concerns, right?
Sorry for the delayed response -- I was away for a long weekend. Hmmm...I thought that the GradPLUS interest rate was fixed regardless of the lender. With all else being equal, that's why I would choose a nonprofit and customer service over a non-preferred GULC lender. Am I correct that GradPLUS is fixed at 8.5% for everyone?

scoutfinch80

New

Post by scoutfinch80 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:34 pm

A weekend away with the parents leads to many questions that provide lovely TLS discussion fodder.

1. Are you guys getting new laptops? If so, what kind are you thinking? Does GULC have a "preferred" kind of laptop that they advise students to get? I couldn't really find anything on their site. I've always used PCs, but I'm thinking of getting a Mac Air.

2. Are we allowed to take other classes within the university, like undergrad classes? I'm a bit of an academic dork and might want to take some classes that interest me during 2L and 3L...But is this done? Do law students ever take undergrad classes for fun?

iwasgoingtobeasenator

New

Post by iwasgoingtobeasenator » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:45 pm

scoutfinch80 wrote:
iwasgoingtobeasenator wrote:
scoutfinch80 wrote:
Sorry for the delayed response -- I was away for a long weekend. Hmmm...I thought that the GradPLUS interest rate was fixed regardless of the lender. With all else being equal, that's why I would choose a nonprofit and customer service over a non-preferred GULC lender. Am I correct that GradPLUS is fixed at 8.5% for everyone?
Yes and no. Technically, everyone has a "fixed" rate per the federal govt. However, each lender has different repayment "incentives" which are basically what private lenders use for the rights to disburse your loan. So for my lender "Citigroup" I receive (for both Stafford and GradPLUS) a .25% deduction in my interest rate if I sign up for EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer aka auto-withdrawal) and a .5% interest rate deduction if I am always on time with payment (an obvious consequence of having EFT). So total, I would receive a .75% discount on my rate that is not available for T.H.E. or the Access Group. So while you guys are paying 8.5% and 6.8% I'd be paying 7.75% and 6.05% upon graduation. (Our "fixed" interest rates would only be the same while we were enrolled.)

scoutfinch80

New

Post by scoutfinch80 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:20 pm

Gotcha. Yes, I knew about the potential for these types of incentives, but I felt more comfortable going with a preferred lender, based on the advice and opinions of sockpuppet and others. To each his own -- it sounds like you found a good lender with good incentives!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”