University of Virginia School of Law 2011

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
greygoose

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Postby greygoose » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:44 am

the vista xp w/ windows 07 and 4 gigs of ram seems plenty. i haven't really touched my new comp, just added some files, installed some software, tested it, etc. i have my old notebook for daily desktop usage. i'd recommend bringing 2 comps if it's convenient. keeps your new comp from getting too much wear and tear when you're surfing the net, writing basic words docs, gaming if you choose, etc.

Son of Cicero

Postby Son of Cicero » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:00 am

Are you guys switching from XP to Vista before law school? I had Lenovo put XP on my new laptop after a few of my computer-savvy friends kept telling me XP is the better OS, but now I'm thinking of converting.

greygoose

Postby greygoose » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:37 am

to be honest, i don't think vista is all that bad. my new one is vista, old one is xp...

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:40 am

Partial List of UVa basketball games in the 08-09 season:

Home: Virginia Tech, Maryland, UNC, FSU, Clemson, Wake Forest, BC, Miami
Away: Minnesota, Virginia Tech, Maryland, UNC, FSU, Clemson, Duke, Georgia Tech, NC State

We will play Duke at home when we're 2Ls and 3Ls and UNC at home when we're 3Ls.

nipplehead

Postby nipplehead » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:21 pm

that UNC game could get ugly

i need to make some horribly offensive signs depending on which team we're playing

has Hansborough assaulted anyone/drove drunk/etc or anything lately?

J-Rod

Postby J-Rod » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:09 pm

I think I'm gonna go w/ a HP laptop.

12.1" screen (touch as well)
3 GB RAM
250GB HD

etc. A good solid laptop for just over $1000. With the appropriate software and warranty it's just under $1500.

I already have a desktop computer, and an external HD . . . so I don't really need to worry about crashing! I'll type all of my papers, etc. on my desktop

J-Rod

Postby J-Rod » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:10 pm

nipplehead wrote:that UNC game could get ugly

i need to make some horribly offensive signs depending on which team we're playing

right there with ya! I hate UNC . . . we could make some Hansborough/Forrest Gump signs . . .

Waterman47

Postby Waterman47 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:12 pm

Does anyone know anything about intramurals in the fall? I'm down to join any team.. soccer, basketball, football, softball, volleyball, waterpolo, horse racing, whatever.

SteelersandGators

Postby SteelersandGators » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:17 pm

J-Rod wrote:
nipplehead wrote:that UNC game could get ugly

right there with ya! I hate UNC . . . we could make some Hansborough/Forrest Gump signs . . .

I'm actually a devoted UNC hater....looking forward to that game

J-Rod

Postby J-Rod » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:36 pm

So, The Woodlands just put up a new website . . . man, that place is gonna rock!!

They have free wine tastings, superbowl party, holiday parties, pools, tennis, basketball, volleyball, an amphitheater, etc.

--ImageRemoved--

nipplehead

Postby nipplehead » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:24 pm

is it considered bad form to get drunk at the wine tastings? because im pretty sure thats gonna happen

wesleybs

Postby wesleybs » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:32 pm

So what's the deal with books? Do we get a bookslip to pay for them or do we have to buy them out of pocket before we get our refunds? Also, will we get a list early enough to order them from cheaper sources?

ouva

Postby ouva » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:43 pm

wesleybs wrote:So what's the deal with books? Do we get a bookslip to pay for them or do we have to buy them out of pocket before we get our refunds? Also, will we get a list early enough to order them from cheaper sources?

There are textbook lists on the bookstore website for all courses, but we won't be able to know which profs/classes we are in until the sections are posted, which isn't supposed to happen until the Friday before orientation, so it doesn't look like buying them online before classes start will really be an option... However, I've heard that PILA does used book sales for considerable savings.

I don't know about bookslips, i haven't heard anything so I assume it's all going to be out of pocket until our refunds come in.

tibahdab

Postby tibahdab » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:48 pm

Hola,

Have a lot of you guys moved in already? My lease on a 1 br on the corner started in June but I've been traveling so I haven't done anything with it yet. I'm heading down to cville this thursday to receive delivery of a bed and make some purchases. Any recommendations on budget furniture stores in the area? I know there's a target and a wal-mart, but that's it. Also, what have you guys been up to that have already moved in? I live in DC so it's not a big deal to go back and forth but I haven't decided on a formal move-in date yet. Any information you guys can give would be extremely helpful and appreciated. I look forward to meeting all of you.

Alex

ouva

Postby ouva » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:04 pm

tibahdab wrote:Hola,

Have a lot of you guys moved in already? My lease on a 1 br on the corner started in June but I've been traveling so I haven't done anything with it yet. I'm heading down to cville this thursday to receive delivery of a bed and make some purchases. Any recommendations on budget furniture stores in the area? I know there's a target and a wal-mart, but that's it. Also, what have you guys been up to that have already moved in? I live in DC so it's not a big deal to go back and forth but I haven't decided on a formal move-in date yet. Any information you guys can give would be extremely helpful and appreciated. I look forward to meeting all of you.

Alex

Hey Alex!

I'm moving in on Sunday the 3rd... I'm checking out craigslist and planning on hitting up some thrift stores for furniture once I'm in town (i found like 2 or 3 of them on google). I figure I won't have that furniture too long so I'm not really worried about not getting new stuff. I'm defs also interested in what people are doing who moved in already, I know I'll be wanting people to hang out with when I get down.

look forward to meeting you!

Amy

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:19 pm

Hey guys, I posted this question in the FAQ forum, but I figured some of you could help me. The second week of August I am taking a trip to Washington D.C. with my family, and will be driving down to Charlottesville to visit the law school. My question is, should I contact someone in the admissions office about visiting, or just take the tour they offer during the day? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

J-Rod

Postby J-Rod » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:31 pm

tibahdab wrote:Hola,

Alex

What's up Alex, I'll be moving in Aug. 1, and my roommates will only be a few days behind me. I've just been using google to try and find some furniture stores in C-Ville. I was hoping there would be a Rooms-to-Go or something, but no such luck. There is a Pier1, and a couple other places I know.

greygoose

Postby greygoose » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:12 pm

alex, nice to hear from you!

i'll be in august 9th, and i'm down for pretty much anything. i think my roommate and myself will be using walmart for basic furniture. i don't plan on spending much or decorating, etc.

doublehoo22

Postby doublehoo22 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:52 pm

What's up Alex,

I am here already, but will be leaving a couple of times in the next couple of weeks. It sounds like you are in a nice spot (the Corner) although it is pretty slow down there during the summer (at least it was last weekend). Aside from family members who insist on buying any and everything I need for my apartment, I have found craigslist (charlottesville.craigslist.org) and the classifieds in the Daily Progress (http://www.dailyprogress.com) to be good resources for finding inexpensive furniture.

In football news.... Anyone hear where UVa is expected to finish? Fifth in the Coastal Division, only ahead of Duke. Hopefully they are wrong.

Edit: fixed link

nipplehead

Postby nipplehead » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:27 pm

Capitalist wrote:Hey guys, I posted this question in the FAQ forum, but I figured some of you could help me. The second week of August I am taking a trip to Washington D.C. with my family, and will be driving down to Charlottesville to visit the law school. My question is, should I contact someone in the admissions office about visiting, or just take the tour they offer during the day? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

i'd try to meet with someone from admissions, they're generally very helpful and can answer a lot of questions you might have. that's what i did when i visited.

wesleybs

Postby wesleybs » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:09 pm

Hey Alex,

I'm moving in Aug 9th. I'm planning on thrift stores and wal-mart for most of my furniture, but I also don't plan on having much.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:53 pm

In football news.... Anyone hear where UVa is expected to finish? Fifth in the Coastal Division, only ahead of Duke. Hopefully they are wrong.

Given the major shakeup, I think it's hard to tell. I'm not setting high expectations though. At least Lalich might be able to complete a pass longer than 10 yards.

SteelersandGators

Postby SteelersandGators » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:21 pm

anyone know when we have the chance to get parking permits?

doublehoo22

Postby doublehoo22 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:45 am

gladiator wrote:

Given the major shakeup, I think it's hard to tell. I'm not setting high expectations though. At least Lalich might be able to complete a pass longer than 10 yards.

Agreed, especially about expectations. Last year a lot of people were boasting about the season, but I didn't think it was all that impressive. I mean, who did we beat that was worth bragging about?

RudyGay

Postby RudyGay » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:21 pm

don't know who is here in cville but if anyone wants to meet up somewhere and get some beers let me know. i know bilko is around but don't know who else. also, i live right next to the tennis courts and have played every day since i moved in a week ago if anyone is down. send me a message if you are in cville

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”