University of Virginia School of Law 2011

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
greygoose
Posts: 436
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:57 am

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Postby greygoose » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:17 pm

i went with your first choice, regrettably it didn't fit. hope bilko likes his and mine...

Da Stain
Posts: 520
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:50 am

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Postby Da Stain » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:16 pm

My oh my. I guess I need to become President of JLSA now or something....

User avatar
breanne2011
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:55 pm

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Postby breanne2011 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:32 am

hey guys, not sure if this has been asked before so apologies in advance if this is redundant--can we register for the health insurance plan now or do we have to wait until we receive our student ID number? Are we supposed to have our student ID number by now? I feel like there are a million things I am forgetting or not realizing I have to do!

cantwaitforuva
Posts: 834
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:05 am

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Postby cantwaitforuva » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:08 pm

Hi guys, I'm alive!

I'm all moved in now. I've been here for about three weeks. Is anybody else in C-ville? I could use some company.

In response to the questions about cable and phone: I have AT&T and it's been fine. I have embarq for internet and have had no problems.

About C-ville for those who haven't spent much time here: It's soo small!! I can drive to everything in 15 minutes. It's hard to get lost unless you're going off into residential areas. People here are really nice. When I was moving in three current residents came out and offered to help. Even the guy who set up my cable was great - he helped me put some furniture together. :D

About the avemore: Amazing. Everyone here is so nice. The maintenance guys are great. I love the apartment. It's very quiet. No problems with parking. It's ridiculously close to everything. Within a one mile radius: Giant, CVS, Riteaid, at least 5 gas stations, lots of fast food (taco bell, mcdonalds, wendys, burger king, hardees), banks, an emergency medical center (you never know).

Oncelost - how was Prague? did you make it to Kunta Hora?

User avatar
bamabreeze
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:50 pm

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Postby bamabreeze » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:57 pm

Congrats on being moved in, cantwait! Your post makes me even more excited about moving to Cville - and I am so glad that you like it so much already!

In your experience so far, how's the traffic in Charlottesville? I was there last Thursday, arriving from Rte 29/15 (?) around 1 pm and leaving around 3 pm. The traffic on a couple of the roads I was on (I think 29 and Hydraulic? I should have paid more attention!) was pretty bad, but I thought it could have been because it was so close to the 4th of July. I'm also curious about how the traffic on JPA (Jefferson Park Avenue) seems so far, if you have seen that at all. I ask only because I won't have nearly enough time in Cville before classes start to see how traffic is consistently - and others in my position would prob also find it helpful to see what you think after your 3 weeks!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, though it goes without saying, that UVA grads' and Cville residents' input would be much appreciated as well!

greygoose
Posts: 436
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:57 am

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Postby greygoose » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:19 pm

can't congrats on setting up house.

breanne, i forget how we set up student IDs, PM oldblue. i think i followed his instructions on getting that #.

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Postby gladiator » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:30 pm

bamabreeze wrote:Congrats on being moved in, cantwait! Your post makes me even more excited about moving to Cville - and I am so glad that you like it so much already!

In your experience so far, how's the traffic in Charlottesville? I was there last Thursday, arriving from Rte 29/15 (?) around 1 pm and leaving around 3 pm. The traffic on a couple of the roads I was on (I think 29 and Hydraulic? I should have paid more attention!) was pretty bad, but I thought it could have been because it was so close to the 4th of July. I'm also curious about how the traffic on JPA (Jefferson Park Avenue) seems so far, if you have seen that at all. I ask only because I won't have nearly enough time in Cville before classes start to see how traffic is consistently - and others in my position would prob also find it helpful to see what you think after your 3 weeks!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, though it goes without saying, that UVA grads' and Cville residents' input would be much appreciated as well!


Rush hour on Route 29 is pretty bad. What direction are you going to be coming from in relation to the law school? Anything but North you could probably avoid a decent amount of the traffic by taking alternate routes.

User avatar
bamabreeze
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:50 pm

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Postby bamabreeze » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:09 am

gladiator wrote:
bamabreeze wrote:Congrats on being moved in, cantwait! Your post makes me even more excited about moving to Cville - and I am so glad that you like it so much already!

In your experience so far, how's the traffic in Charlottesville? I was there last Thursday, arriving from Rte 29/15 (?) around 1 pm and leaving around 3 pm. The traffic on a couple of the roads I was on (I think 29 and Hydraulic? I should have paid more attention!) was pretty bad, but I thought it could have been because it was so close to the 4th of July. I'm also curious about how the traffic on JPA (Jefferson Park Avenue) seems so far, if you have seen that at all. I ask only because I won't have nearly enough time in Cville before classes start to see how traffic is consistently - and others in my position would prob also find it helpful tosee what you think after your 3 weeks!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, though it goes without saying, that UVA grads' and Cville residents' input would be much appreciated as well!


Rush hour on Route 29 is pretty bad. What direction are you going to be coming from in relation to the law school? Anything but North you could probably avoid a decent amount of the traffic by taking alternate routes.


Hmmm this would be from The Woodlands... I just mapquested:

1: Start out going EAST on MOUNTAINWOOD RD toward OLD LYNCHBURG RD. 0.1 mi
2: Turn LEFT onto OLD LYNCHBURG RD. 0.9 mi
3: Turn LEFT onto JEFFERSON PARK AVE. 0.5 mi
4: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto JEFFERSON PARK AVE/US-29 BR N. 0.6 mi
5: Turn LEFT onto S EMMET ST/US-29 BR N. 0.9 mi
6: Turn LEFT onto MASSIE RD. 0.1 mi

It looks like these include Route 29, but taking 29-Business North from the south. Would this mean that The Woodlands avoids most of the delays, because that'd be great! If not, it looks like I'll be using some free time after I move in to see about another way to get to school, avoiding the traffic in favor of more sleep :)

doublehoo22
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:46 pm

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Postby doublehoo22 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:21 am

bamabreeze wrote:
gladiator wrote:
bamabreeze wrote:Congrats on being moved in, cantwait! Your post makes me even more excited about moving to Cville - and I am so glad that you like it so much already!

In your experience so far, how's the traffic in Charlottesville? I was there last Thursday, arriving from Rte 29/15 (?) around 1 pm and leaving around 3 pm. The traffic on a couple of the roads I was on (I think 29 and Hydraulic? I should have paid more attention!) was pretty bad, but I thought it could have been because it was so close to the 4th of July. I'm also curious about how the traffic on JPA (Jefferson Park Avenue) seems so far, if you have seen that at all. I ask only because I won't have nearly enough time in Cville before classes start to see how traffic is consistently - and others in my position would prob also find it helpful tosee what you think after your 3 weeks!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, though it goes without saying, that UVA grads' and Cville residents' input would be much appreciated as well!


Rush hour on Route 29 is pretty bad. What direction are you going to be coming from in relation to the law school? Anything but North you could probably avoid a decent amount of the traffic by taking alternate routes.


Hmmm this would be from The Woodlands... I just mapquested:

1: Start out going EAST on MOUNTAINWOOD RD toward OLD LYNCHBURG RD. 0.1 mi
2: Turn LEFT onto OLD LYNCHBURG RD. 0.9 mi
3: Turn LEFT onto JEFFERSON PARK AVE. 0.5 mi
4: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto JEFFERSON PARK AVE/US-29 BR N. 0.6 mi
5: Turn LEFT onto S EMMET ST/US-29 BR N. 0.9 mi
6: Turn LEFT onto MASSIE RD. 0.1 mi

It looks like these include Route 29 North :( -- well, at least the business route - is that the bad one, or is that the bypass? After I move in and before school starts, you think it's worth checking out other ways to get to school?



You won't have many, if any, problems going that direction. The worst part of 29 is from about Barracks Road to Rt. 33 in Greene County and only during certain parts of the day. What you experienced on Thursday was somewhat unusual for summer, but probably around average for when all the students and local families return from vacation. It won't be like that all day long, but that 29-Hydraulic-250 area is a mess sometimes. It's not like you will have to deal with DC-style traffic (thank god), but poor planing and sprawl in the surrounding areas means that our roads are beginning to carry more vehicles than they were built for.

User avatar
bamabreeze
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:50 pm

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Postby bamabreeze » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:35 am

Thanks! :) And it was the 29-Hydraulic-250 section - definitely a bit of a mess on Thursday! I can see what you mean about the roads not keeping up with the growth in population, but I've never been in anything worse than DC traffic (well, except Charlottesville on Foxfield Race day) so it's good to hear that we won't have anything nearly that bad!

shadowfish
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 7:09 pm

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Postby shadowfish » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:13 am

bamabreeze wrote:Thanks! :) And it was the 29-Hydraulic-250 section - definitely a bit of a mess on Thursday! I can see what you mean about the roads not keeping up with the growth in population, but I've never been in anything worse than DC traffic (well, except Charlottesville on Foxfield Race day) so it's good to hear that we won't have anything nearly that bad!


DC traffic really sucks. The Metro is cool, though.
Anyone else going to be primarily biking around Charlottesville? Is that even a reasonable transportation option if I wanted to go downtown from the law school, for example? I'm a pretty unskilled biker (i.e. it takes all my energy to stay upright, and I'm scared of biking on the street - sidewalk ok), so if anyone has tips for bike paths or something, it'd be appreciated.

User avatar
sialeeds
Posts: 438
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:47 am

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Postby sialeeds » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:36 am

Are any of you other Woodlanders going to be there by August 2nd? My Dad and I might need help moving a few pieces of furniture, since we both have had knee surgeries this year... ooof :? It will be like the special olympics of moving. It shouldn't be too bad, though, because I'm on the bottom floor :)

User avatar
J-Rod
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:00 pm

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Postby J-Rod » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:07 am

sialeeds wrote:Are any of you other Woodlanders going to be there by August 2nd? My Dad and I might need help moving a few pieces of furniture, since we both have had knee surgeries this year... ooof :? It will be like the special olympics of moving. It shouldn't be too bad, though, because I'm on the bottom floor :)


So if I brought a lawn chair and some beer and just watched for entertainment would that be rude? hahah


Mike and I will be moving in Aug 1. so we'll be there already

User avatar
OnceLost
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:16 pm

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Postby OnceLost » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:19 pm

cantwaitforuva, Prague was really cool. We did make it to Kutna Hora and saw both the cathedral and the Ossuary. PM me your email address and I'll send you an invite to view the Snapfish pictures!

User avatar
bamabreeze
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:50 pm

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Postby bamabreeze » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:39 pm

Won't be there yet at The Woodlands but I wouldn't be much help anyway!

On another note, the loan process is taking a while (prob because I did the switch from BOA... and it took me a while to realize that this Great Lakes place is legit, and not a sketchy company trying to solicit me for loans. It would have been helpful if the bank had mentioned something like, oh you will be getting tons of mail from this place called Great Lakes). Is it normal to still be waiting on the loans? I got the ISIS letter today, and July 18th is soon, so I got a little concerned!

User avatar
J-Rod
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:00 pm

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Postby J-Rod » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:22 pm

bamabreeze wrote:Won't be there yet at The Woodlands but I wouldn't be much help anyway!

On another note, the loan process is taking a while (prob because I did the switch from BOA... and it took me a while to realize that this Great Lakes place is legit, and not a sketchy company trying to solicit me for loans. It would have been helpful if the bank had mentioned something like, oh you will be getting tons of mail from this place called Great Lakes). Is it normal to still be waiting on the loans? I got the ISIS letter today, and July 18th is soon, so I got a little concerned!


My loans got sold out to the Great Lakes place as well. I have to remember to give them my new address when I move. When do we get refunded the rest of our loan money? Do our loans get dispersed to UVA right after the 18th, and then they send the rest of the money to us? Or do we have to wait till Aug. sometime?

User avatar
bamabreeze
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:50 pm

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Postby bamabreeze » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:37 pm

According to the Great Lakes website:

Receiving Funds

Assuming you have completed the application process, including all forms required by your school, you might be wondering when you are going to get your money. Here is what actually has to happen next in order to receive your loan funds:

* Approval: The lender must approve your application. In the case of PLUS loans (both Parent and Graduate/Professional) and most alternative loans, a credit check is used to determine approval.
* Certification: The school may need to certify that you are eligible for the loan based on enrollment status and other criteria.
* Disbursement: Once your application is approved and certified, the release of funds (disbursement) is scheduled. Funds are often sent directly to the financial aid office and applied to outstanding balances such as tuition or room and board. Remaining funds are then released to you.


The disbursement part is the most useful for your question, J-Rod, though "Funds are often sent directly to the financial aid office" isn't all that helpful because it doesn't tell you what will actually happen for you (or me, or any of us!).

I called and apparently mine are still in progress (their online status page is unclear) and the person I spoke with said I had to get UVA to mail them a certification... which is weird because I thought that already happened.

I suggest calling because they can help you way more than the website can! And they can give you specific disbursement dates, apparently.

User avatar
J-Rod
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:00 pm

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Postby J-Rod » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:31 pm

bamabreeze wrote:According to the Great Lakes website:

Receiving Funds

Assuming you have completed the application process, including all forms required by your school, you might be wondering when you are going to get your money. Here is what actually has to happen next in order to receive your loan funds:

* Approval: The lender must approve your application. In the case of PLUS loans (both Parent and Graduate/Professional) and most alternative loans, a credit check is used to determine approval.
* Certification: The school may need to certify that you are eligible for the loan based on enrollment status and other criteria.
* Disbursement: Once your application is approved and certified, the release of funds (disbursement) is scheduled. Funds are often sent directly to the financial aid office and applied to outstanding balances such as tuition or room and board. Remaining funds are then released to you.


The disbursement part is the most useful for your question, J-Rod, though "Funds are often sent directly to the financial aid office" isn't all that helpful because it doesn't tell you what will actually happen for you (or me, or any of us!).

I called and apparently mine are still in progress (their online status page is unclear) and the person I spoke with said I had to get UVA to mail them a certification... which is weird because I thought that already happened.

I suggest calling because they can help you way more than the website can! And they can give you specific disbursement dates, apparently.



Thanks for the awesome response!! I'll definitely have to give them a call!

cantwaitforuva
Posts: 834
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:05 am

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Postby cantwaitforuva » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:39 pm

bamabreeze wrote:Won't be there yet at The Woodlands but I wouldn't be much help anyway!

On another note, the loan process is taking a while (prob because I did the switch from BOA... and it took me a while to realize that this Great Lakes place is legit, and not a sketchy company trying to solicit me for loans. It would have been helpful if the bank had mentioned something like, oh you will be getting tons of mail from this place called Great Lakes). Is it normal to still be waiting on the loans? I got the ISIS letter today, and July 18th is soon, so I got a little concerned!


What's ISIS? Should I be worried that I don't know that?

User avatar
nipplehead
Posts: 227
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:58 pm

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Postby nipplehead » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:44 pm

cantwaitforuva wrote:
bamabreeze wrote:Won't be there yet at The Woodlands but I wouldn't be much help anyway!

On another note, the loan process is taking a while (prob because I did the switch from BOA... and it took me a while to realize that this Great Lakes place is legit, and not a sketchy company trying to solicit me for loans. It would have been helpful if the bank had mentioned something like, oh you will be getting tons of mail from this place called Great Lakes). Is it normal to still be waiting on the loans? I got the ISIS letter today, and July 18th is soon, so I got a little concerned!


What's ISIS? Should I be worried that I don't know that?


ISIS is something to do with email/financial payments/etc........its not too difficult to get signed up for it

they just sent out a guide on how to do it that i got yesterday......i just finished setting it up about 5 minutes ago (although i might have fucked up my email somehow, i still dont know what im doing)

if you want me to give you the steps to sign up, let me know

cantwaitforuva
Posts: 834
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:05 am

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Postby cantwaitforuva » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:45 pm

Traffic is nothing here compared to DC. But there are times of day when it gets a bit clogged. 29 can get annoying. It's never stop and go, just crowded and not at top speed. the 250 East bypass gets some traffic, too, but it moves well, so no hold ups.

For those of you who are driving from DC (particularly the Avemore kids) I would take 395 and then VA-20. Less traffic and very scenic. Plus you pass all of the cheap gas stations when you're on VA-20. And VA-20 drops you right in front of Avemore.

cantwaitforuva
Posts: 834
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:05 am

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Postby cantwaitforuva » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:46 pm

nipplehead wrote:
cantwaitforuva wrote:
bamabreeze wrote:Won't be there yet at The Woodlands but I wouldn't be much help anyway!

On another note, the loan process is taking a while (prob because I did the switch from BOA... and it took me a while to realize that this Great Lakes place is legit, and not a sketchy company trying to solicit me for loans. It would have been helpful if the bank had mentioned something like, oh you will be getting tons of mail from this place called Great Lakes). Is it normal to still be waiting on the loans? I got the ISIS letter today, and July 18th is soon, so I got a little concerned!


What's ISIS? Should I be worried that I don't know that?


ISIS is something to do with email/financial payments/etc........its not too difficult to get signed up for it

they just sent out a guide on how to do it that i got yesterday......i just finished setting it up about 5 minutes ago (although i might have fucked up my email somehow, i still dont know what im doing)

if you want me to give you the steps to sign up, let me know


Thanks. I'll check my mail first and see if i got it.

User avatar
nipplehead
Posts: 227
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:58 pm

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Postby nipplehead » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:56 pm

yo does anyone know what the quick link to access email is?

like, do i type mail.virginia.edu?

i want to access the gmail, not the cms mail, but i dunno where the link is

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Postby gladiator » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:58 pm


User avatar
nipplehead
Posts: 227
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:58 pm

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Postby nipplehead » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:02 pm

thank you sir!




Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest