University of Virginia School of Law 2011

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
J-Rod

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Postby J-Rod » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:42 am

OnceLost wrote:I saw three pictures as red boxes, too, so I switched those out. I see them as red boxes on Snapfish, too, so there is some sort of problem there. I only saw three as red boxes, though - you see all of them as red boxes?

yup, they're all red boxes

MissVirginia

Postby MissVirginia » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:47 am

@ DoubleHoo- 2Ls told me they did redistribute last year, but Dr. Burns also said that was a rare anomaly.

@ OnceLost- all red boxes for me. welcome back!

@ J-Rod- DoubleHoo is right on about the emissions testing. I have an O2 sensor that is broken that I would have to get fixed in NoVa cause it makes my emissions reading screwy, but it doesn't matter in City of Cville/ Albemarle County.

J-Rod

Postby J-Rod » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:02 am

MissVirginia wrote:@ J-Rod- DoubleHoo is right on about the emissions testing. I have an O2 sensor that is broken that I would have to get fixed in NoVa cause it makes my emissions reading screwy, but it doesn't matter in City of Cville/ Albemarle County.

thanks for the confirmation! Cause I'd fail, so I'm glad I don't have to in C'Ville!

OnceLost

Postby OnceLost » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:09 am

I'll bet you all didn't realize that the entirety of the Czech Republic is a series of red boxes...PM me your email addresses and I'll send you an invitation to view the pictures if you're interested.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:07 pm

According to the packet received from UVa today, sections won't be announced until Fri, Aug 15 at 5 PM. :(

wholegrain

Postby wholegrain » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:45 pm

All,

I haven't been engaged in the discussion as I deferred to 2009, but I wanted to know what cell phone service has the best reputation in Charlottesville.

Thanks!

vjm

Postby vjm » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:49 pm

Hey guys-

I am on the waitlist (99% sure that is a pipe dream) but I have lived in Charlottesville for the past 7 years. If you need to know about anything give me a holla.

Phones: People seem happiest with Sprint (God knows why) or Verizon. We also have AT&T (my favorite out of a very bad bunch).

Ciao!

CaptainDirtyBird

Postby CaptainDirtyBird » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:37 pm

Hello Poppits,

Who can tell me the average utilities breakdown they have heard for the Ivy. I'm doing a little comparison shopping and I would be interested to see what gossip and confirmation anyone could provide.

Cheerio Mates,

Captain

melbelle

Postby melbelle » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:57 pm

vjm wrote:Hey guys-

I am on the waitlist (99% sure that is a pipe dream) but I have lived in Charlottesville for the past 7 years. If you need to know about anything give me a holla.

Phones: People seem happiest with Sprint (God knows why) or Verizon. We also have AT&T (my favorite out of a very bad bunch).

Ciao!

Hey vjm! Thanks for answering questions. Do you (or anyone else living in Charlottesville) have any advice regarding internet service providers? I'm trying to choose between Comcast and Embarq. I have Comcast in Chicago right now and they are evil, but I don't know much about Embarq.

greygoose

Postby greygoose » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:37 pm

what up?!

sialeeds

Postby sialeeds » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:40 pm

melbelle wrote:Do you (or anyone else living in Charlottesville) have any advice regarding internet service providers? I'm trying to choose between Comcast and Embarq. I have Comcast in Chicago right now and they are evil, but I don't know much about Embarq.

Comcast was evil to me in Baltimore too, but fortunately my apartment complex deals with the cable. Whew. It's been 1.5 months and they still haven't given me the $20 they owe me, despite calling five times... that being said, I know nothing about Embarq, so I can't recommend them over Comcast. I think cable companies in general are evil...

OnceLost

Postby OnceLost » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:46 pm

I've had negative experiences across the Sprint spectrum (it started with Sprint PCS and moved on from there), so I'm not going to give Embarq the opportunity to make me regret using them.

MochaLaw

Postby MochaLaw » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:47 pm

I'm just going to pop in and ask a question, although I may have just missed the conversation before, but I'm looking at the health insurance info and it says "Non-Resident Graduate students do not pay the comprehensive Fee and are NOT eligible to buy the University-endorsed Student Health Insurance Plan."

Is this what it sounds like or is there a different definition of "non-resident," or are Law kids not included in "Graduate students"? I don't really get how I'm supposed to afford insurance that's not through an employer or the school.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:54 pm

MochaLaw wrote:I'm just going to pop in and ask a question, although I may have just missed the conversation before, but I'm looking at the health insurance info and it says "Non-Resident Graduate students do not pay the comprehensive Fee and are NOT eligible to buy the University-endorsed Student Health Insurance Plan."

Is this what it sounds like or is there a different definition of "non-resident," or are Law kids not included in "Graduate students"? I don't really get how I'm supposed to afford insurance that's not through an employer or the school.

There's definitely a law school plan for insurance...not sure what you mean. http://www.uvastudentinsurance.com

melbelle

Postby melbelle » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:55 pm

greygoose wrote:what up?!

Hey!!! I've been off the boards for a minute trying to tie up life here (leaving my job, moving, etc). It seems like I missed a boatload of notes...

OnceLost

Postby OnceLost » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:56 pm

MochaLaw wrote:I'm just going to pop in and ask a question, although I may have just missed the conversation before, but I'm looking at the health insurance info and it says "Non-Resident Graduate students do not pay the comprehensive Fee and are NOT eligible to buy the University-endorsed Student Health Insurance Plan."

I think they might be referring to people in the College of Professional Studies (or something like that). My assumption is that those were distance-learning students, but I'm not sure. Law students are definitely eligible for health insurance (close to $8,700 for a family with two kids, if you're interested).

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:17 pm

Did any of you get this email? I can't tell if it's a scam, something to disregard, or something important....

Dear UVA student:

As you may have heard, there have been many changes in the student loan industry.
WE WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT LOAN FUNDS ARE AVAILABLE AND STUDENTS HAVE A CHOICE OF LENDERS.
As much as we have tried to maintain our current process, circumstances from outside the
University will have an impact on the student loan process for the 2008-2009 academic year.

Because of changes in Federal regulations, all schools that choose to
maintain a preferred lender list must have a minimum of three unaffiliated
lenders by July 1, 2008. This change, along with other changes in the
Federal regulations, disruptions in the marketplace for lenders and an
unsuccessful attempt through a Request for Proposal process to secure
attractive rates for UVA students, has led UVA to declare itself "LENDER
NEUTRAL" beginning July 1, 2008.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR UVA STUDENTS AND PARENTS SEEKING FEDERAL LOANS FOR 2008-2009?
1. Federal loans have fixed interest rates and low fees, regardless of your lender.

2. However, other borrower benefits that lenders have used to attract students and
parents have been reduced at most every lending institution. Borrowers will need to
conduct a wider search to find lending institutions offering benefits greater than the
Federal minimums. To assist students in searching for a lender, please refer to our
student loan information page, where we have listed the banks that our students have
used in the past year: http://www.virginia.edu/financialaid/loans.php.

3. Students MUST reaffirm their lender choice for the 08-09 academic year.
Because benefits have changed for most lending institutions from 07-08 to 08-09,
instead of automatically renewing your lender choice from the previous year, we are
asking that students reaffirm their lender for 08-09. To make this process easier, you
may e-mail, lenderchoice@virginia.edu and give us your complete name, last four
digits of your Social Security Number (DO NOT send the entire number) and either
1) State that you would like to maintain your previous lender, or 2) Tell us who you
would like your new lender to be. Another way to respond is to complete our
standard Financial Aid Change Form (available on our web site) and complete the
section for Student Loan Lender of Choice. We ask for your patience as we make
these changes in response to a market that seems to change daily.

Please contact our office if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Student Financial Services

OnceLost

Postby OnceLost » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:30 pm

It's legit. There was a backlash from schools getting kick backs from their "preferred" lenders, so this is a way of avoiding that. Also, the student loan market is hurting as part of the greater crappiness of the financial world; some lenders have dropped student loans completely or removed most of those great fee reductions they've had for years (Bank of America being one of the latter).

MochaLaw

Postby MochaLaw » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:41 pm

gladiator wrote:There's definitely a law school plan for insurance...not sure what you mean. http://www.uvastudentinsurance.com

Yes, I checked that site before and it made the same reference to resident/non-resident without clarification of whether it has the same definition that "resident/non-resident" does for tuition purposes.

OnceLost wrote:I think they might be referring to people in the College of Professional Studies (or something like that). My assumption is that those were distance-learning students, but I'm not sure. Law students are definitely eligible for health insurance (close to $8,700 for a family with two kids, if you're interested).

Yeah, it says non-resident and CoPS students aren't eligible, which is why I would assume "non-resident" means something different from the usual in this case. It just doesn't make sense that they would not include 75% of students in the health plan. So you're probably right, that it's referring to students who aren't at the actual campus, but I'm trying to figure out if I need to be living in university housing or what.

There must be some of you out there who have permanent addresses outside VA and were planning on using University health insurance, right? Anyway, I called Aetna, who said to call the registrar, who said to call the student health center. The person at the SHC who normally deals with this stuff was not there so I'm waiting for her to call me back. We'll see. In any case, thanks for responding, guys.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:46 pm

MochaLaw wrote:
gladiator wrote:There's definitely a law school plan for insurance...not sure what you mean. http://www.uvastudentinsurance.com

Yes, I checked that site before and it made the same reference to resident/non-resident without clarification of whether it has the same definition that "resident/non-resident" does for tuition purposes.

OnceLost wrote:I think they might be referring to people in the College of Professional Studies (or something like that). My assumption is that those were distance-learning students, but I'm not sure. Law students are definitely eligible for health insurance (close to $8,700 for a family with two kids, if you're interested).

Yeah, it says non-resident and CoPS students aren't eligible, which is why I would assume "non-resident" means something different from the usual in this case. It just doesn't make sense that they would not include 75% of students in the health plan. So you're probably right, that it's referring to students who aren't at the actual campus, but I'm trying to figure out if I need to be living in university housing or what.

There must be some of you out there who have permanent addresses outside VA and were planning on using University health insurance, right? Anyway, I called Aetna, who said to call the registrar, who said to call the student health center. The person at the SHC who normally deals with this stuff was not there so I'm waiting for her to call me back. We'll see. In any case, thanks for responding, guys.

I assume non-resident means grad students that don't attend UVa. I think I've seen schools refer to years/semesters attending as "in residency" like how transfer students must have 2 years minimum in residency to graduate at UVa undergrad.

OnceLost

Postby OnceLost » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:50 pm

Mocha, I did the same thing to make sure the family and I are eligible; we are. My problem is that you can't enroll in the health insurance program until you receive your ID number and the school doesn't provide ID numbers until after you register for your classes...the woman I spoke to in the ID office was completely confused about law school students who don't have a traditional class registration. The short end of many phone calls is that I have to wait until I move up and get a student ID number to register, but you can enroll in the Aetna program until October 3, 2008, and it's retroactive from August 15, 2008.

Da Stain

Postby Da Stain » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:54 pm

I think I'm going to just sit in my house and order in food or Peapod from July 15 (last day of work) until some day in August when I have a student ID. Then, the day after that, I'm going sky diving.

OnceLost

Postby OnceLost » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:08 pm

Retroactive, Bilker, my friend, retroactive.

I'll heading up on July 21, by the way, so I should start setting up the house on the 22nd and the family should be up to join me on the 23rd or 24th. Anyone else in town that early?

doublehoo22

Postby doublehoo22 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:25 pm

wholegrain wrote:All,

I haven't been engaged in the discussion as I deferred to 2009, but I wanted to know what cell phone service has the best reputation in Charlottesville.

Thanks!

I haven't heard too many good things about Sprint, but I guess it depends on who you talk to. The closest Verizon store is about 45-50 minutes down the road in Short Pump (outside Richmond) or in one of the towns in the Valley about 30-40 minutes west. I think the company is supposed to be bringing their service to Charlottesville soon, but I am not sure when. I personally think AT&T is overpriced. I guess that leaves Altell, T-Mobile, and Ntelos. I have a contract with Ntelos with a pretty good plan that doesn't cost that much and with good converage.
Last edited by doublehoo22 on Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:28 pm

I have Verizon and it was fine as far as I recall.

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”