University of Virginia School of Law 2011

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
MissVirginia

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Postby MissVirginia » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:07 pm

Nike6075 wrote:Not sure what you're talking about, but I'm not really too worried about it.
I'm not worried either; particularly as your earlier comment, though it followed my own, was unresponsive to what I'd said. Carry on.

J-Rod

Postby J-Rod » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:12 pm

MissVirginia wrote:
Nike6075 wrote:Not sure what you're talking about, but I'm not really too worried about it.
I'm not worried either; particularly as your earlier comment, though it followed my own, was unresponsive to what I'd said. Carry on.

MissVa, since we determined long ago that you are the classiest woman on these here forums, you are exempt from having to debate with us sexist lowlifes! hehe

how's the summer out there goin? my parents said it's starting to get hot out there in VA

ubuntu

Postby ubuntu » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:23 pm

haha wow i just read this whole debate. those pictures made me laugh, and i feel like i know j-rod well enough by now to know he doesn't actually think those things. even if he did, hahaha i'd still probably think it was funny. i doubt the women equality issue will ever be FULLY resolved, but i've never felt at a disadvantage because i'm a woman, and silly jokes like that certainly will never make me feel bad.

also, sorry j-rod, but khordis' response made me laugh harder.

MissVirginia

Postby MissVirginia » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:24 pm

J-Rod wrote:
MissVirginia wrote:
MissVa, since we determined long ago that you are the classiest woman on these here forums, you are exempt from having to debate with us sexist lowlifes! hehe

how's the summer out there goin? my parents said it's starting to get hot out there in VA
Wait-- so we're so supposed to be able to tell when *you* are being sarcastic, but you can't tell when *I* am? Guess sarcasm is another thing men are better at than us lowly women folk. :D

It's gorgeous in Cville: 86 degrees, tiniest breeze, a cloud or two for passing shade... lovely. Can't wait for you all to join us!

'fess up: you've already got a Virginia Law sticker on the car, don't you?

J-Rod

Postby J-Rod » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:29 pm

MissVirginia wrote:
J-Rod wrote:
MissVirginia wrote:

Wait-- so we're so supposed to be able to tell when *you* are being sarcastic, but you can't tell when *I* am? Guess sarcasm is another thing men are better at than us lowly women folk. :D

It's gorgeous in Cville: 86 degrees, tiniest breeze, a cloud or two for passing shade... lovely. Can't wait for you all to join us!

'fess up: you've already got a Virginia Law sticker on the car, don't you?

of course men are better at sarcasm than women, duh! and that weather sounds awesome . . . I can't wait to get out there! We'll be havin pool parties at the woodlands!

and no car sticker yet . . . maybe soon though

OnceLost

Postby OnceLost » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:35 pm

Not yet, MissVa, but I am trying to decide if it should go above or below the pastafarian logo...

J-Rod, I won't tell you how much time I spend looking at your response to my post waiting for the image to load until I realized it was just space in the text...

Here's a (opinionated) write-up about the art v. sexual harassment thing: --LinkRemoved--. I no longer wonder where some of this completely indecipherable modern art comes from...everything else has been found offensive.

hokiefan

Postby hokiefan » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:46 pm

I have a Virginia Law decal in my window. :D

I'm betting that's the reason that this guy backed into me yesterday and dented up my car. All the haters in Blacksburg.

greygoose

Postby greygoose » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:53 pm

virginia law decal has been on my car since december :D

as for j-rod, i've met him and talked to him many a times. he's a really nice and friendly guy. i'm fairly certain he was joking and if people can't take a joke...they got issues.

go for male chauvinism jokes, i'm all for it...

CaptainDirtyBird

Postby CaptainDirtyBird » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:42 am

Nope Greygoose. You are wrong. J-Rod is an offensive male chauvanist. There can be only two punishments for such a transgression:

1. We send him to a weeklong tolerance camp.
2. We shove Mr. Lemmywinks up Mr. Slaves ass.

Choose your punishment wisely J-Rod...well I'm off to berates a bunch of smokers.

Son of Cicero

Postby Son of Cicero » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:48 am

CaptainDirtyBird wrote:I mean for so long I have treated women like sexual objects because if they weren't objects they would be ghosts, and I am scared shitless of ghosts.

This sounds like the sort of reasoning I would expect to find in nipplehead's superb blog. I hope you are all regular readers of your future classmate's TLS opus.

nipplehead

Postby nipplehead » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:21 am

Son of Cicero wrote:
CaptainDirtyBird wrote:I mean for so long I have treated women like sexual objects because if they weren't objects they would be ghosts, and I am scared shitless of ghosts.

This sounds like the sort of reasoning I would expect to find in nipplehead's superb blog. I hope you are all regular readers of your future classmate's TLS opus.

hahaha that line is way better than anything in my blog, im going to use that in real life and pretend i thought of it all on my own

OnceLost

Postby OnceLost » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:27 am

Ah, blatant plagurism, the highest form of praise.

Da Stain

Postby Da Stain » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:06 am

1. Yes, the Dutch looked awesome. Perhaps my favorite quote from the game after Snejder's sweet 4th goal:

"IT'S A DUTCH OVEN.....
..... AND THE FRENCH ARE TOAST!"

Uhm, yeah, that means something a bit different over here, pal.

2. Real Golf >>>>>>> Mini-golf.

3. Never let this thread get serious again.

J-Rod

Postby J-Rod » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:52 am

CaptainDirtyBird wrote:Nope Greygoose. You are wrong. J-Rod is an offensive male chauvanist. There can be only two punishments for such a transgression:

1. We send him to a weeklong tolerance camp.
2. We shove Mr. Lemmywinks up Mr. Slaves ass.

Choose your punishment wisely J-Rod...well I'm off to berates a bunch of smokers.

hahah, I love that episode!

vamel

Postby vamel » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:46 am

I've read over all the responses to my initial post, and I'd like to respond. I don't think that my objections to the content of this board make me "crazy."

I do not disagree with your right to post what you posted. People post much more objectionable things all over the internet. I objected to the decision to post it under the heading "University of Virginia School of Law 2011." It doesn't reflect well on the school, or on the other members of the class. We are all about attend a professional school, and those pictures and that "humor" is not appropriate in a professional context.

Would you show the "Balls" picture to a 50 year old female partner and expect her to laugh? Would you show the laundry picture to any of the female professors that you will have next year? Would you accuse them of "not having a sense of humor" if they didn't laugh? More importantly, if you were at a law firm would you send these pictures around to your colleagues? How would/could those pictures be interpreted by your subordinates? These are questions that as future law students and lawyers you need to consider.

Every few years, you read stories of students/young adults throwing parties with racially insensitive themes - i.e. students in black face. Do I believe that all the students in those situations hate African-Americans? Not necessarily, but I do believe they showed very poor judgement and did not consider how their actions would be interpreted.

I would hope that the students who will be attending UVA Law next year will show better judgement in sharing racist or sexist "jokes."

J-Rod

Postby J-Rod » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:11 pm

vamel wrote:I've read over all the responses to my initial post, and I'd like to respond. I don't think that my objections to the content of this board make me "crazy."

I do not disagree with your right to post what you posted. People post much more objectionable things all over the internet. I objected to the decision to post it under the heading "University of Virginia School of Law 2011." It doesn't reflect well on the school, or on the other members of the class. We are all about attend a professional school, and those pictures and that "humor" is not appropriate in a professional context.

Would you show the "Balls" picture to a 50 year old female partner and expect her to laugh? Would you show the laundry picture to any of the female professors that you will have next year? Would you accuse them of "not having a sense of humor" if they didn't laugh? More importantly, if you were at a law firm would you send these pictures around to your colleagues? How would/could those pictures be interpreted by your subordinates? These are questions that as future law students and lawyers you need to consider.

Every few years, you read stories of students/young adults throwing parties with racially insensitive themes - i.e. students in black face. Do I believe that all the students in those situations hate African-Americans? Not necessarily, but I do believe they showed very poor judgement and did not consider how their actions would be interpreted.

I would hope that the students who will be attending UVA Law next year will show better judgement in sharing racist or sexist "jokes."

Somehow I don't see that a random picture I found on the internet is in the same league as throwing a party in blackface. And if you have ever gone out for drinks with partners at these corporate firms, you might not make the statement about which jokes are told. Obviously, certain jokes are told among friends within the firm itself, and not sent out in mass e-mail to everyone in the firm, but they're still there.

Second. This is not a corporate firm. It's a pre-law school forum on the internet. Obviously the judgment I use in certain professional settings is different from that which I use on the internet. My Con-Law prof. made sexist and racist remarks in class all the time, depending on the cases we were discussing, but that's because everyone knew he was not serious in any way whatsoever. It was to mock the reality and absurdity of what was actually written in some supreme court decisions. Sometimes it's funny to mock things, simply because it's absurd that it actually happens.

Third. These corporate firms know about the social life at UVA. They know about Feb Club, keg softball, parties, etc. Part of what makes a UVA grad so attractive to these firms is that we as students have a good work/life balance. We know when to be extremely professional and excell, but we also know when to relax, take a joke, and have some fun.

And Vamel, I was not the one to post that you're crazy, and I don't believe that you are, you simply have a very different perspective on this thread, and being new to it, I feel you took what I posted out of context. This is in no way a serious thread at all. We talk about tv shows, drinking, sports, and whatever other random topics come up. We're all in here to get to know each other and have fun, not to put forth a professional atmosphere. We have class time to do that!

nipplehead

Postby nipplehead » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:43 pm

j-rod, iron my shirt, bitch

8)

triadolpho

Postby triadolpho » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:04 pm

vamel wrote:I've read over all the responses to my initial post, and I'd like to respond. I don't think that my objections to the content of this board make me "crazy."

Flame? I can't tell, to be honest.

CaptainDirtyBird

Postby CaptainDirtyBird » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:53 pm

triadolpho wrote:

Flame? I can't tell, to be honest.

I would think so but look how long they were lurking...to lecture us. More likely she is going to be that one person next year who will make law review b/c the only people who won't offend her is her cats and her emasculated boyfriend.
Last edited by CaptainDirtyBird on Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

wesleybs

Postby wesleybs » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:01 pm

Just looked at apartments for two days straight. Looks like I'll be in Avemore assuming I get approved for the lease.

breanne2011

Postby breanne2011 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:38 pm

Khordis wrote:I've modified a couple of these images to make them palatable to a wider audience.

This made my day. Well done, Khordis!

vamel

Postby vamel » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:56 am

J-Rod wrote:

Somehow I don't see that a random picture I found on the internet is in the same league as throwing a party in blackface. And if you have ever gone out for drinks with partners at these corporate firms, you might not make the statement about which jokes are told. Obviously, certain jokes are told among friends within the firm itself, and not sent out in mass e-mail to everyone in the firm, but they're still there.

Second. This is not a corporate firm. It's a pre-law school forum on the internet. Obviously the judgment I use in certain professional settings is different from that which I use on the internet. My Con-Law prof. made sexist and racist remarks in class all the time, depending on the cases we were discussing, but that's because everyone knew he was not serious in any way whatsoever. It was to mock the reality and absurdity of what was actually written in some supreme court decisions. Sometimes it's funny to mock things, simply because it's absurd that it actually happens.

Third. These corporate firms know about the social life at UVA. They know about Feb Club, keg softball, parties, etc. Part of what makes a UVA grad so attractive to these firms is that we as students have a good work/life balance. We know when to be extremely professional and excell, but we also know when to relax, take a joke, and have some fun.

And Vamel, I was not the one to post that you're crazy, and I don't believe that you are, you simply have a very different perspective on this thread, and being new to it, I feel you took what I posted out of context. This is in no way a serious thread at all. We talk about tv shows, drinking, sports, and whatever other random topics come up. We're all in here to get to know each other and have fun, not to put forth a professional atmosphere. We have class time to do that!

This isn't a flame. I have been reading this forum for a while. I also joined the general UVA Law Facebook group. It isn't hard to connect names and details from this web forum with Facebook to discover posters' identities. That is an important lesson for any law student to learn - when you post something, you are actually publishing it globally. For instance, you have no idea where I am reading these posts right now.

Rest assured, I didn't lose much sleep over the pictures that were posted. Frankly, I found them inane and lacking in any sort of irony whatsoever. As a soon to be classmate, I was surprised to discover that a colleague of mine at a top law school could find this an appropriate thing to share. Not only do I think these pictures reflect poorly on UVA Law as an institution, but I believe they could be seriously detrimental to the professional future of the posters.

The picture of balls? That could get you fired for sexual harassment.
The pictures of the laundry? That could keep you from being hired at any major law firm.
The picture of the "iron my shirt"? That could keep you from ever running for public office.

I actually do know something about big law firms and corporate settings - and I'd like to share a few things with you:

Have you ever heard of Aaron Charney? He was a gay associate at Sullivan and Cromwell (Top 3 firm). He filed a suit against S&C based upon discrimination because of the alleged anti-gay attitudes of his bosses. It was a messy case. Here is some background on it:
http://www.abovethelaw.com/aaron_charney/
S&C might have fought the lawsuit, but they have subsequently spent a ton of money on reassuring gay/lesbian law groups that they don't discriminate against gays. I imagine that if they knew that a prospective applicant had a history of "privately" making sexist "jokes," they wouldn't take a gamble like that.

Have you read about Judge Alex Kozinski? He's the chief judge of the 9th circuit. He had posted some questionable material to what he thought was a private/family website which included some "jokes" and "pictures" of women. Problem? He was in the middle of a pornography trial. Oops. Now he has had to declare a mistrial and call for an investigation of himself. Here's a little reading about the situation: http://www.latimes.com/news/printeditio ... 5401.story

As you noted, UVA Law has the reputation for parties and softball, but does that mean that firms tolerate sexism masquerading as humor or a frat house/locker room mentality from UVA students? Don't get me wrong, I love beer and softball, but I was told that what separates UVA Law from its competitors is its collegial atmosphere. You can have fun without being sophomoric and insensitive.

If these pictures are such an accurate representation of the UVA Law experience as you suggest, what would the administration think of posting these pictures under the heading "University of Virginia School of Law 2011?" Would they be proud? Would Dean Palmer, a former 2nd circuit clerk, find the pictures funny? Why not send them to her and Courtenay Seabring Ebel, another female member of the admissions staff? I seriously doubt they would see the humor in them - or agree that "getting the joke" contributes to making UVA Law special.

shadowfish

Postby shadowfish » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:54 am

^you know, on the above topic, but slightly different-

Did anyone else find it disturbing/irresponsible that the UVa law students participating in Feb Club ok'd their classmates' posting pictures of them appearing drunk and half-naked on a blog? Doesn't that bode pretty poorly for someone's professional future? Especially with all of the fuss about employers checking on applicants through Facebook/Myspace/search engines, I would think people would be more cautious.

nipplehead

Postby nipplehead » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:01 am

*crosses vamel off list of 'People I Want to Party With'*

TheSnake

Postby TheSnake » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:39 am

To Vamel:

Life.

Get one.

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”