University of Virginia School of Law 2011

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
cantwaitforuva

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Postby cantwaitforuva » Thu May 29, 2008 1:23 pm

SteelersandGators wrote:Now that we've been talking so much about food.......where is everybody going to work out? UVA gyms or commercial gyms? I'm not familiar with the facilities at UVA and wasn't too concerned about finding the commercial gyms while I was there. And with the cost of law school, I don't want to throw down too much money on gym membership.

Either the UVA North Grounds gym or the one at my apartment complex.

MissVirginia

Postby MissVirginia » Thu May 29, 2008 1:33 pm

gladiator wrote:
SteelersandGators wrote:Now that we've been talking so much about food.......where is everybody going to work out? UVA gyms or commercial gyms? I'm not familiar with the facilities at UVA and wasn't too concerned about finding the commercial gyms while I was there. And with the cost of law school, I don't want to throw down too much money on gym membership.
North Grounds Rec Center: http://www.virginia.edu/ims/facilities/ngrc.html
AFC: http://www.virginia.edu/ims/facilities/afc.html
Both are fantastic. You will not need/want to pay for a commercial membership.

Da Stain

Postby Da Stain » Thu May 29, 2008 1:51 pm

The Following Email was sent to current students today:

Dear Returning Student:

Please read this email as it contains important information for all students utilizing Bank of America as their lender of choice for both Stafford and GradPLUS Loans

For the past four years, the University of Virginia has had a preferred lender relationship with Bank of America. This relationship was established due to Bank of America's commitment to providing UVa students with excellent borrower benefits and service that exceeded the benefits and service provided by other lenders. Recent changes in the borrower benefits offered, however, has created a new environment that has caused us to end our relationship with Bank of America.

We recently received information from Bank of America that it has rescinded the borrower benefits being offered to University of Virginia students on Stafford and Graduate PLUS Loans for 2008-09. These benefits included a 2.5% interest rate reduction in repayment with ACH, the payment of the origination fee on the Stafford Loan, and a principal reduction on the Graduate PLUS Loan in repayment. Bank officials have informed us that they have no intention of honoring these benefits on loans currently certified for the 2008-09 academic year, even though these benefits continued to be advertized on their website for UVa students until May 16, 2008.

Steps to take if you have accepted your financial aid package and selected Bank of America as your lender for 2008-09

If you have already notified the Law School Office of Financial Aid of your intention to use Bank of America as your selected lender for Stafford and GradPLUS loans in 2008-09, and you were expecting to receive the benefits above, please note that different borrower benefits will apply. To find the current benefits associated with Bank of America student loans, please reference the lender's website. If after reviewing these benefits you wish to change your lender, please contact the Law School Office of Financial Aid as soon as possible. You will need to select a new lender and inform us of your choice. If your loan has already been certified with Bank of America, we will cancel those loans and complete the process again using your new lender information.

Steps to take if you have not yet accepted your 2008-09 financial aid package

If you have not yet accepted your financial aid package and utilized Bank of America as your lender in 2007-08, there is a strong possibility that we have already certified your loans with Bank of America as your lender in an attempt to capture the borrower benefits above. Please note that you may continue to use Bank of America as your lender or you may select another lender. To find the current benefits associated with Bank of America student loans, please reference the lender's website. If after reviewing these benefits you wish to change your lender, please indicate your new lender when you return your award acceptance form via LawWeb. If your loan has already been certified with Bank of America, we will cancel those loans and complete the process again using your new lender information.

Steps to take if you have not yet received a 2008-09 financial aid package

If you have not yet received a financial aid package, we have not yet certified any student loans for you for 2008-09. Please note that you may continue to use Bank of America as your lender or you may select another lender. To find the current benefits associated with Bank of America student loans, please reference the lender's website. If after reviewing these benefits you wish to change your lender, please indicate your new lender when you return your award acceptance form via LawWeb. If your loan has already been certified with Bank of America, we will cancel those loans and complete the process again using your new lender information.

Choosing a Lender

In ending its relationship with Bank of America, the University has chosen to remain lender neutral for the 2008-09 academic year. "Lender Neutral" means that the financial aid office will not be able to offer provide any information about lenders or the borrower benefits provided. Students wishing to select another lender will have to conduct their own research and make a choice based on the mix of borrower benefits, service guarantees, lender reputation, etc. that best meets their individual needs.

Information that might be helpful in selecting a lender is currently available on the Law School Financial Aid website. We are updating the site frequently to ensure that it provides clear and accurate information, and complies with federal law.

Please note that more information will follow as it becomes available.

greygoose

Postby greygoose » Thu May 29, 2008 2:40 pm

yes, alaska is very nice :P before i visited, i actually thought it was overrated, but it's really one of the most beautiful places on earth.

no smoke shed, just read a smoking tutorial and used my charcoal grill and some alderwood. i will refine the recipe a bit the next time i smoke again.

^

how does this exactly affect us? do the interest % change, etc.?

cantwaitforuva

Postby cantwaitforuva » Thu May 29, 2008 2:54 pm

greygoose wrote:
^

how does this exactly affect us? do the interest % change, etc.?

It affects us a lot. They aren't paying the origination fee, so we have to pay that (it's added to the loan amount). And the 2.5% reduction is a pretty huge loss. I can't remember the exact percentage, but I think GradPlus is around 8.5%. BofA had a deal where once you started re-paying the loans they would knock the interest rate down to 6%. If you pay your loans off really quickly it won't have a huge impact, but it you are taking out the full amount and plan on following a 10 year payment plan it really adds up.

This sucks, but I'm still gonna stick with BofA unless anyone finds something significantly better.

cantwaitforuva

Postby cantwaitforuva » Thu May 29, 2008 2:55 pm

I'd really like to take up swimming. Could anyone teach me?

Yeah that's right, I don't know how to swim. I can doggy paddle, that's about it.

cantwaitforuva

Postby cantwaitforuva » Thu May 29, 2008 3:34 pm

Does anybody know if the Charlottesville public library is any good?

Da Stain

Postby Da Stain » Thu May 29, 2008 3:37 pm

I hear UVA has a library. Not sure how good it is.

(Although, I am def looking forward into getting into some of their Faulkner stuff at some point when I have time.....)

SteelersandGators

Postby SteelersandGators » Thu May 29, 2008 3:43 pm

greygoose wrote:yes, alaska is very nice :P before i visited, i actually thought it was overrated, but it's really one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Alaska is unbelievably beautiful. It's breathtaking. Of the places I've been, the only place that can compare is Norway.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Thu May 29, 2008 3:46 pm

SgtBilko wrote:I hear UVA has a library. Not sure how good it is.

Club Clemons?

http://www.uvamagazine.org/site/c.esJNK ... t_Life.htm

cantwaitforuva

Postby cantwaitforuva » Thu May 29, 2008 3:59 pm

Ok I did a bit of research on the loan benefits of BofA, Citibank, and Wachovia. I'm sure there are other major lenders, but I've only looked into these so far. Disclaimer: This information is not guaranteed to be accurate and I recommend that all students confirm this information on their own.

BofA:
Plus - 8.5% interest, .25% reduction in interest rate for BofA checking or savings account holders.
Stafford - 6.8%, no origination fee, .25% reduction in interest rate for BofA checking or savings account holders.

Citibank:
Plus - 8.5% interest, .5% reduction of interest rate when you start repayment, additional .25% reduction if you set up auto-debit
Stafford - 6.8% interest, .5% reduction of interest rate when you start repayment, additional .25% reduction if you set up auto-debit

Wachovia:
Plus -7.9% fixed rate, 3% rebate on loan amount 6 months after disbursement
Stafford - 6.8% interest, no origination fee, 1% rebate when you start repayment, 1% rebate after 12 payments on time, 1.5% rebate after 24 payments on time.

J-Rod

Postby J-Rod » Thu May 29, 2008 6:41 pm

cantwaitforuva wrote:I'd really like to take up swimming. Could anyone teach me?

Yeah that's right, I don't know how to swim. I can doggy paddle, that's about it.

I can teach you. I swam competitively for over 10 years, until an injury ended my career. I swam for the US Gold Core team, went to state in high school swimming starting when I was in 7th grade, have been a certified lifeguard since I was 15, and I have taught swim lessons before as well.

If that resume' works for ya, hit me up. I swim all the time now(even though my back hurts every single day of my life because of it).

And this loan crap pisses me off royally . . . I borrowed w/ bank of america before, and now they won't let me defer those loans until post graduate . . . super duper lame

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Thu May 29, 2008 6:52 pm

Assuming this applies to us not just current students, I'm going to switch from BOA to Wachovia.

Origin

Postby Origin » Thu May 29, 2008 7:03 pm

I LOVE Virginia (the state) and would ultimately like to end up living in northern VA (possibly working in DC for awhile before going in-house). Because of this, UVA is slowly climbing my list.

I've never seen the campus though. Are there pics anywhere in this thread? If so, around what page?

MissVirginia

Postby MissVirginia » Thu May 29, 2008 7:22 pm

Origin wrote:I've never seen the campus though. Are there pics anywhere in this thread? If so, around what page?

More (both interior and exterior) @ http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/about/photos.htm.

rsr28

Postby rsr28 » Thu May 29, 2008 7:52 pm

Charlottesvilel Ice Rink and Rivanna Trail should do the trick for me...

rayallen20

Postby rayallen20 » Thu May 29, 2008 7:58 pm

Bilko: I think you misread my post. I already have a job on LI, but thanks for offering help. And you're right, I'm from eastern LI. Far out. Why did your gut tell you that? Everyone I always talk to from LI is from Nassau County. What part are you from??

Steelers: I planned on lifting at the gym in my apartment complex. However, if the facilities aren't up to par, I'll just go to the UVA gym, which I hear is pretty good. I'll probably play a lot of bball there too if anyone is interested.

Cantwait: Since we have a pool in Avemore, I'm sure you'll learn. Being able to doggy paddle is a start. I could help you out, but my resume isn't as stacked as J-Rod's, so he'd probably be a better instructor.

P.S. This new loan information is interesting. I still haven't received my financial aid info from UVA (it's been like 3 weeks since I received my acceptance, ugh). I planned on just using BoA because of its relationship with the law school. Not sure now. What do you guys plan on doing??

J-Rod

Postby J-Rod » Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

I'm just sticking with BofA . . . because educations loans with banks are a pain in the ass . . . and since mine have already been approved, and I've already received my disbursement schedule . . . there's no point in changing this year.

sialeeds

Postby sialeeds » Thu May 29, 2008 8:35 pm

J-Rod wrote:I'm just sticking with BofA . . . because educations loans with banks are a pain in the ass . . . and since mine have already been approved, and I've already received my disbursement schedule . . . there's no point in changing this year.

Yeah, me too. This irritates me, but it was confusing enough for me to begin with, so I can't deal with switching it right now. Unless someone gives me a huge reason why (like: you'll save $5000 if you switch to ____ Bank. That might make me switch!)

cantwaitforuva

Postby cantwaitforuva » Thu May 29, 2008 10:16 pm

Origin wrote:I LOVE Virginia (the state) and would ultimately like to end up living in northern VA (possibly working in DC for awhile before going in-house). Because of this, UVA is slowly climbing my list.

I've never seen the campus though. Are there pics anywhere in this thread? If so, around what page?

It's beautiful, you should come!

Origin

Postby Origin » Thu May 29, 2008 11:17 pm

cantwaitforuva wrote:
Origin wrote:I LOVE Virginia (the state) and would ultimately like to end up living in northern VA (possibly working in DC for awhile before going in-house). Because of this, UVA is slowly climbing my list.

It's beautiful, you should come!

I need to apply, first :lol:

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Thu May 29, 2008 11:33 pm

sialeeds wrote:
J-Rod wrote:I'm just sticking with BofA . . . because educations loans with banks are a pain in the ass . . . and since mine have already been approved, and I've already received my disbursement schedule . . . there's no point in changing this year.

Yeah, me too. This irritates me, but it was confusing enough for me to begin with, so I can't deal with switching it right now. Unless someone gives me a huge reason why (like: you'll save $5000 if you switch to ____ Bank. That might make me switch!)

7.9% interest vs 8.5% interest. Presumably that will save money over time?

est1980

Postby est1980 » Thu May 29, 2008 11:45 pm

hi, former UVa grad student. a few thoughts:

gyms:
The AFC (undergrad gym) is hella nice, i never used northgrounds gym, but i heard it is not as good (well that is if you are lifting). the AFC tends to get crowded during peak times, so i would suggest going really early or really late (or around 3 pm).

Libraries:
Club clemons is really true, well kind of. for grad/professional students you wont ever run into people you know, because generally only undergrads study there. i occasionally would run into students, but not often, so if you need a place to study where no one will find you i think it could be an option.

Alderman is a total nightmare, i never studied there, because it was impossible to find a good space, unless you actually have a study carroll (which i think usually go to PhD folks who are done with coursework). there is a place called the scholars lab in alderman http://www.lib.virginia.edu/scholarslab/ which is super hot, has huge computer screens (great for working on large projects where you need to be able to have a few pdfs and a word doc open and viewable all at the same time. there are also little areas that have two or three computers near each other that work well for group projects. This spot fills up early, so if you want to use the space you need to arrive early.

food/restaurants:
i havent read all 10000 pages of this thread, so i dont know what the food talk was, but seriously do yourself a favor: during your first week please go to the downtown ped mall and visit Marco & Lucas. they serve asian noodles and dumplings and they are delicious and cheap.

let me know if you have any questions as i am happy to oblige with whatever info i have.

greygoose

Postby greygoose » Thu May 29, 2008 11:52 pm

doesn't uva law school have it's own library? i kinda skipped that part of the tour... :P

J-Rod

Postby J-Rod » Fri May 30, 2008 12:15 am

greygoose wrote:doesn't uva law school have it's own library? i kinda skipped that part of the tour... :P

you were too busy napping . . . but at least you didn't skip the bar that night!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”