University of Virginia School of Law 2011

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
SteelersandGators

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Postby SteelersandGators » Mon May 19, 2008 11:56 pm

When you say "the online... law one", did you mean Courts & Commerce, or something else? --LinkRemoved--

The link you gave is the one I was talking about. It didn't seem to have the same items that were in the store located at the law school. If you're wondering why I didn't just buy stuff when I was there visiting.....well, I wasn't accepted yet and didn't want to jinx myself :D

rayallen20

Postby rayallen20 » Tue May 20, 2008 12:11 am

Did most of you all process your financial aid/loans already?? I called the financial aid office today and they said my financial aid application will not be processed for another two weeks or so. I know June is still early to get your loans together, but I feel like I'm useless now. I graduated yesterday and I'm home now. I paid the two seat deposits, so there is nothing else I can do in terms of the law school proces until my financial aid gets processed. Also, I don't start work until after Memorial Day. So this week I'll basically be going to the gym and playing GTA all the time. I know I should be enjoying the only free time I'll be getting in the next few years, but I can't help but feel like a waste of life.

rayallen20

Postby rayallen20 » Tue May 20, 2008 12:11 am

PS

Go Celtics!!!!

SteelersandGators

Postby SteelersandGators » Tue May 20, 2008 12:13 am

UGGHHH....please no Spurs vs. Pistons again :x

MissVirginia

Postby MissVirginia » Tue May 20, 2008 12:27 am

SteelersandGators wrote:If you're wondering why I didn't just buy stuff when I was there visiting.....well, I wasn't accepted yet and didn't want to jinx myself :D
I'm similarly superstitious. :D

I'm also cheap- and seeing as how law school is costing me ~$110 per day plus interest, I can promise that the only VA-Law gear in my collection will be that which is given freely (like t-shirts and leather-like attache-thingy they gave out ASW). :wink:

J-Rod

Postby J-Rod » Tue May 20, 2008 12:36 am

MissVirginia wrote:
J-Rod wrote:will anyone else be opting out of the university insurance in favor of their own plan?
I sure would if I had parents who could cover me! Unless your parents are going to charge you for you to be on their policy, you might as well enjoy it while it lasts.

that's the plan. Parent's said I can stay on as long as possible! w00t! of course, the $2000 I get back from that will be going towards law school stuff . . . like books.

MissVirginia

Postby MissVirginia » Tue May 20, 2008 12:39 am

J-Rod wrote:
MissVirginia wrote:
J-Rod wrote:will anyone else be opting out of the university insurance in favor of their own plan?
I sure would if I had parents who could cover me! Unless your parents are going to charge you for you to be on their policy, you might as well enjoy it while it lasts.
that's the plan. Parent's said I can stay on as long as possible! w00t! of course, the $2000 I get back from that will be going towards law school stuff . . . like books.
Are you sure you get $2000 back? I was told at ASW that if you opt out and have your own coverage (which you must verify with documentation), then the health insurance portion of your budget is deducted from your estimated cost of attendance, and thus your loans are decreased accordingly (unless you can demonstrate that you are responsible for paying your parents, and that their cost to carry you is comparable to the cost of you carrying yourself). Mind you, this was a student telling me this, not Cindy Burns, so take it with a grain of salt. If I were you I would check with Fin-Aid before thinking you can budget that though.

J-Rod

Postby J-Rod » Tue May 20, 2008 1:33 am

MissVirginia wrote:Are you sure you get $2000 back? I was told at ASW that if you opt out and have your own coverage (which you must verify with documentation), then the health insurance portion of your budget is deducted from your estimated cost of attendance, and thus your loans are decreased accordingly (unless you can demonstrate that you are responsible for paying your parents, and that their cost to carry you is comparable to the cost of you carrying yourself). Mind you, this was a student telling me this, not Cindy Burns, so take it with a grain of salt. If I were you I would check with Fin-Aid before thinking you can budget that though.

Yeah, I got some info in the mail today about the health insurance stuff, so I'm going to call the school this week and clarify that very issue.

Khordis

Postby Khordis » Tue May 20, 2008 1:50 am

jared, can i just borrow your ID and go to the hospital as you if need be? i'll bring a magic marker to draw on the mustache.

OnceLost

Postby OnceLost » Tue May 20, 2008 8:34 am

Health insurance for family with kids is about $9,400...ouch.

MissVirginia

Postby MissVirginia » Tue May 20, 2008 8:39 am

J-Rod wrote:
MissVirginia wrote:Are you sure you get $2000 back? I was told at ASW that if you opt out and have your own coverage (which you must verify with documentation), then the health insurance portion of your budget is deducted from your estimated cost of attendance, and thus your loans are decreased accordingly (unless you can demonstrate that you are responsible for paying your parents, and that their cost to carry you is comparable to the cost of you carrying yourself). Mind you, this was a student telling me this, not Cindy Burns, so take it with a grain of salt. If I were you I would check with Fin-Aid before thinking you can budget that though.
Yeah, I got some info in the mail today about the health insurance stuff, so I'm going to call the school this week and clarify that very issue.
Definitely keep us posted- I'd be interested to know. Hope it works out!

Da Stain

Postby Da Stain » Tue May 20, 2008 9:45 am

OnceLost wrote:Health insurance for family with kids is about $9,400...ouch.

OnceLost's valuable lesson for the day: Wrap It Up!

OnceLost

Postby OnceLost » Tue May 20, 2008 10:14 am

Consider that your sex-ed lesson.

Khordis

Postby Khordis » Tue May 20, 2008 12:38 pm

OnceLost wrote:Health insurance for family with kids is about $9,400...ouch.

hmm...actually, that might work better. oncelost, feel like adopting me?

Khordis

Postby Khordis » Tue May 20, 2008 12:39 pm

i assure you, i'm not a fussy eater, and diaper changes are relatively painless. delightful even.

OnceLost

Postby OnceLost » Tue May 20, 2008 12:58 pm

You'll have chores, Khordis, and I don't want to hear anything about an allowance until I see those grades improve...

Khordis

Postby Khordis » Tue May 20, 2008 1:38 pm

[stomps into room and slams door]

nipplehead

Postby nipplehead » Tue May 20, 2008 3:53 pm

does anyone know what university heights apartment complex is like? it's close to the law school and seems somewhat affordable. i'm just curious as to what you guys think.....

OnceLost

Postby OnceLost » Tue May 20, 2008 4:03 pm

I liked the looks of it, but the apartments were a little small for a family (even without Khordis). The Cavalier, for instance, is $1,099/month for 873 sq ft (and she only had one left). The Cavalier was a 2 bedroom with a den, by the way, so it'd probably be fine for one or two people (judging by the size of my apartments when I lived with a total of one or two people). Only one unit (the expensive one) has a washer and dryer in it (again, not necessary for those of you who aren't dealing with cloth diapers, perhaps). They don't exclude undergrads, either.

nipplehead

Postby nipplehead » Tue May 20, 2008 4:05 pm

oh, true. i'd only be in a 1 BR though as i'm just a young 'un.

did you actually check it out in person, once?

OnceLost

Postby OnceLost » Tue May 20, 2008 4:27 pm

No, I had some emails back and forth with management. I'm going up this weekend to check out a couple of places, though.

rayallen20

Postby rayallen20 » Tue May 20, 2008 5:36 pm

Quick question for you guys who have processed your loans and everything. How do I go about increasing my loans above the COA?? I know the COA for UVA non-residents is ~60K a year. I'll be on my parents medical plan so that knocks it down to 58K. However, just tuition and rent/utilities for me will be about 54K. I know 4K for food/gas/books/fun is just not doable. Do I just e-mail them after I receive my financial aid package and request more??

wesleybs

Postby wesleybs » Tue May 20, 2008 9:35 pm

Is there a way to get the bundled computer paid for from the fin aid without having to charge it first to a personal account?

J-Rod

Postby J-Rod » Tue May 20, 2008 9:36 pm

Bun-B and I are STILL looking for a third roommate for the Woodlands . . . we're having a difficult time . . . people keep backing out . . . haha . . . that or someone started a rumor that we have leprosy

cantwaitforuva

Postby cantwaitforuva » Tue May 20, 2008 10:08 pm

rayallen20 wrote:Quick question for you guys who have processed your loans and everything. How do I go about increasing my loans above the COA?? I know the COA for UVA non-residents is ~60K a year. I'll be on my parents medical plan so that knocks it down to 58K. However, just tuition and rent/utilities for me will be about 54K. I know 4K for food/gas/books/fun is just not doable. Do I just e-mail them after I receive my financial aid package and request more??

they will not raise your COA for that reason. For example, if you choose to live in a more expensive apartment, you have to find the extra money to cover that elsewhere. You can only get your COA raised for medical expenses and other demonstrated need (ie if you're a single parent).

If you need more money you're going to have to take out a private loan - so no need to contact UVA.

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”