University of Virginia School of Law 2011

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
Khordis

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Postby Khordis » Tue May 13, 2008 3:08 pm

OldBlue wrote:btw Khordis, I'm sure you've heard this a lot, but it could be much worse.

--ImageRemoved--

damn you, colloquial terms that sound like my name and have unpleasant, childishly entertaining meanings!

luckily, i avoided that one for the most part. my brother was not so lucky, however.

OldBlue

Postby OldBlue » Tue May 13, 2008 3:14 pm

this photo is from the law website and from the facebook group, but i had to post it here:

--ImageRemoved--

Virginia Law=Eden
Chicago Law=someone needs to finish what Mrs. O'Leary's cow started.

greygoose

Postby greygoose » Tue May 13, 2008 3:17 pm

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... of+chicago

highlights:

2. Where fun comes to die

3. Where the only thing that goes down on you is your GPA

4. If it were easy, it'd be your mom

5. Where the squirrels are cuter than the girls, and more aggressive than the guys

6. The circle of hell that Dante forgot

Khordis

Postby Khordis » Tue May 13, 2008 3:19 pm

greygoose wrote:wes where you living in the fall?

still not sure yet. the woodlands is so great...but ivy, arlington, etc. are so close.... the woodlands is so cheap....but ivy, arlington, etc. are so close....

i fully expect to be living out of my car when it turns out every place in the area is full come august.

Khordis

Postby Khordis » Tue May 13, 2008 3:22 pm

and now it really is time to go to work.

sialeeds

Postby sialeeds » Tue May 13, 2008 3:40 pm

Ubu, UChi is great and all, but I can guarantee it won't be nearly as fun ;) Tough choice, though. They're trying to lure you away with money... they probably overestimated how many people would deposit, so they're trying hard to steal people away with scholarships. Please UVA, throw some money my way (other than the $100 travel reimbursement I got today, even though I do appreciate that).

For me, it would take more than that to uproot my plans. I've invested a lot of time and interest into UVA, so it would be hard to have to set my mind on something else unless it was my absolute first choice dream school (translation: if my boyfriend lived in Cali and I got accepted to Stanford).

cantwaitforuva

Postby cantwaitforuva » Tue May 13, 2008 3:46 pm

Another reason why my ugrad blows compared to UVA:

I'm looking at a really bad grade in one of my classes this semester. I contacted both my ugrad advisor and UVA to make sure it wouldn't affect graduation, scholarships, etc.

ugrad: Snippy, unhelpful, took a long time to get back to me, and they accidentally cancelled my appointment.

UVA: Talked to Dean Palmer. Super nice, concerned about how I felt about it (oh you poor thing, etc), said it would in no way impact my scholarship at UVA, they believe in us, etc. You know when you would come home from school and your mom has warm chocolate chip cookies and milk ready for you? It was like that.

ubuntu

Postby ubuntu » Tue May 13, 2008 3:49 pm

cantwaitforuva wrote:Another reason why my ugrad blows compared to UVA:

I'm looking at a really bad grade in one of my classes this semester. I contacted both my ugrad advisor and UVA to make sure it wouldn't affect graduation, scholarships, etc.

ugrad: Snippy, unhelpful, took a long time to get back to me, and they accidentally cancelled my appointment.

UVA: Talked to Dean Palmer. Super nice, concerned about how I felt about it (oh you poor thing, etc), said it would in no way impact my scholarship at UVA, they believe in us, etc. You know when you would come home from school and your mom has warm chocolate chip cookies and milk ready for you? It was like that.

i love dean palmer. so, so much.

shadowfish

Postby shadowfish » Tue May 13, 2008 3:49 pm

Geez, now I want warm chocolate chip cookies and milk.

Good thing to know about UVa though. :D

cantwaitforuva

Postby cantwaitforuva » Tue May 13, 2008 3:50 pm

ubuntu wrote:

no Dean Palmer at UChicago

cantwaitforuva

Postby cantwaitforuva » Tue May 13, 2008 4:03 pm

Is a 2.0 a C?

Da Stain

Postby Da Stain » Tue May 13, 2008 4:05 pm

That reminds me of the episode of Saved By The Bell when Zack doesnt study for a test:

AC: Nice, I got a B+. How about you Preppy?
Zack: I got a C.
AC: Not bad.
Zac: As in 'C' me after class!

hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha

SteelersandGators

Postby SteelersandGators » Tue May 13, 2008 4:07 pm

ubuntu wrote:
cantwaitforuva wrote:Another reason why my ugrad blows compared to UVA:

And you would break her heart to go that glass cube in Hyde Park?

Just kidding.....sort of

cantwaitforuva

Postby cantwaitforuva » Tue May 13, 2008 4:07 pm

cantwaitforuva wrote:Is a 2.0 a C?

Sadly, this isn't my bad grade!

So if a 4.0 is an A and a 3.0 is a B, then a 2.0 is a C, right?

greygoose

Postby greygoose » Tue May 13, 2008 4:10 pm

^ :lol: (sorry, that's reference to bilko's joke)

yea unfortunately a 2.0 = C

i got graded down in my poli sci seminar, because although in the course i technically got an A- (3.7 on his grading scale), since our schools doesn't give minuses, my grade is closer to B+ (3.5) than to an A (4.0). He took the liberty of putting my final course grade as B+...all i got to say is wtf? being a senior and in this "prestigious seminar", he's being a %@@!. i've never had someone grade me down...

o well, some of my friends are pissed and appealing, waiting to see if it works.

cantwait: my school
A(4.0)
B+ (3.5)
B (3.0)
C+ (2.5)
C (2.0) etc...

the lack of A- help somewhat, but they are counterbalanced by the no A+, which i assume is 4.3
Last edited by greygoose on Tue May 13, 2008 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CaptainDirtyBird

Postby CaptainDirtyBird » Tue May 13, 2008 4:11 pm

UVA actually landed a pretty big acquisition today: Dean Gordon Pritchard. Looks like a few fun years ahead.

greygoose

Postby greygoose » Tue May 13, 2008 4:12 pm

ahh old school, how i love that movie...

which costume do you like more on the blowup doll? nurse or maid?

sialeeds

Postby sialeeds » Tue May 13, 2008 4:30 pm

That sucks about being graded down. I got a B last semester because I had an English prof who "expected more" from me as a senior, and she even told me that she gave people with worse papers better grades. Thanks, bitch, for ruining my 3 semester streak of only A/A-s. The worst part was that she claimed she'd "reward" me with my final grade and uhhh... didn't. Thank god it didn't actually matter... UVA asked for my grades, and I was scared that they'd cringe at that B, but instead they said "congratulations on a great semester" and I got in a month later. Phew!

Cantwait -- anyone would have less-than-perfect grades given the amount of work you've had this semester. Don't sweat it. I doubt it'd ever come up again, but if it did, it can easily be explained by taking TEN classes as opposed to the normal five.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Tue May 13, 2008 4:36 pm

Damn, I wish UVa turned A- into A. In my 4 semesters there, I think I had 10 A, 9 A-, 1 B+.

cantwaitforuva

Postby cantwaitforuva » Tue May 13, 2008 4:37 pm

sialeeds wrote:
Cantwait -- anyone would have less-than-perfect grades given the amount of work you've had this semester. Don't sweat it. I doubt it'd ever come up again, but if it did, it can easily be explained by taking TEN classes as opposed to the normal five.

Thanks. Dean Palmer didn't seen to take issue with the F I'm getting in one class. So far it looks like As and Bs for 8 classes, a C in one, and an F in one.

greygoose

Postby greygoose » Tue May 13, 2008 4:56 pm

sialeeds: not sure why professors do shit like that...like i'm not your kid so don't try to encourage me to do better, etc. like what's so wrong about giving more A's especially to seniors and those you hand picked to enter your seminar...

gladiator: you have an A+ to counter A- at your school?

cantwait: hang in there, i <3 dean palmer. getting the two letters (since dec.) from dean palmer made me so happy! 1st was acceptance and 2nd was scholly. i told her that at asd and said i can't wait for another letter in the near future.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Tue May 13, 2008 5:11 pm

I think we have A+s but they're pretty much non-existent at least in all of the classes I took. Most professors have that bullshit policy where the highest grade on a given assignment is an A (95%) so sometimes it's not even physically possible to get over the A+ threshold.

sialeeds

Postby sialeeds » Tue May 13, 2008 5:18 pm

We sort of have A+'s. They exist, but they count as a 4.0. So most professors don't bother... which is irritating, because LSAC converts them. About half the classes where I definitely earned an A+ put an A+ on my transcript; the other half didn't. Oh well.

Greygoose -- this woman was ridiculous, she was still a post-doc after like... 8 years, so I didn't really have any faith in her judgment. That's ultimately why I didn't argue my grade, because I had nothing nice to say to her and it would have gotten ugly. That's the only grade I've ever gotten that was lower than I anticipated -- usually I have a "best case grade" and a "worst case grade" in mind, and my "worst case grade" in this situation was a B+. So I hit the roof when I got it... especially since it was my last grade and ruined my 3.96 that semester :x

SteelersandGators

Postby SteelersandGators » Tue May 13, 2008 5:29 pm

So I'm now leaning towards the Avemore....which means I'll have to drive to school. Does anyone know about the parking situation at the law school? It doesn't look like parking is plentiful...

cantwaitforuva

Postby cantwaitforuva » Tue May 13, 2008 5:46 pm

SteelersandGators wrote:So I'm now leaning towards the Avemore....which means I'll have to drive to school. Does anyone know about the parking situation at the law school? It doesn't look like parking is plentiful...

The school was called and they said that 1Ls can park in the lot down by the softball field (a few minutes walk from the school). There aren't enough spots for everyone - first come first serve kind of situation, but the majority can find a spot. If there aren't any more spots then you park by university hall, which is a 15 minute walk, or you can take the shuttle which comes every 10 minutes.

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”