University of Virginia School of Law 2011

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
sialeeds

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Postby sialeeds » Fri May 02, 2008 11:39 am

cantwaitforuva wrote:
sialeeds wrote:
In other news... I AM OFFICIALLY DONE WITH UNDERGRAD CLASSES. Thank god. Now all I have to do is write two 10 page papers and edit my lame-o thesis :)

Doesn't it feel nice not be expected in a classroom? I finished on Wed. But I still have 6 papers and 4 tests, so argh.

Holy crap, woman, way to register for the heaviest workload possible second semester senior year! Good luck!

cantwaitforuva

Postby cantwaitforuva » Fri May 02, 2008 11:47 am

sialeeds wrote:
Holy crap, woman, way to register for the heaviest workload possible second semester senior year! Good luck!

It's because I'm finishing 10 classes, due to a medical leave last semester.

sialeeds

Postby sialeeds » Fri May 02, 2008 11:50 am

cantwaitforuva wrote:
sialeeds wrote:

It's because I'm finishing 10 classes, due to a medical leave last semester.

Oooof, that sucks, but that's so great that you're not letting it get the best of you. My doctor wanted me to take a medical leave this semester at first, and I burst into tears and was like, "THERE IS NO WAY I AM NOT GOING TO LAW SCHOOL NEXT YEAR!" So I made it work... fortunately, I only needed 2.5 credits to graduate and 6 to finish off my second major. But... wow. UVA will definitely be the light at the end of the tunnel, eh? :o

cantwaitforuva

Postby cantwaitforuva » Fri May 02, 2008 12:08 pm

sialeeds wrote:
Oooof, that sucks, but that's so great that you're not letting it get the best of you. My doctor wanted me to take a medical leave this semester at first, and I burst into tears and was like, "THERE IS NO WAY I AM NOT GOING TO LAW SCHOOL NEXT YEAR!" So I made it work... fortunately, I only needed 2.5 credits to graduate and 6 to finish off my second major. But... wow. UVA will definitely be the light at the end of the tunnel, eh? :o

Oh yes. I am going to be so happy when this is all over. It hasn't even hit me yet that I don't have classes anymore, because I still have so much to do. But I'll have finished most of it by the end of next week. This weekend is going to be a bitch!

I think when I'm actually done with everything I won't know what to do with myself and all of my free time.

wesleybs

Postby wesleybs » Fri May 02, 2008 1:01 pm

Is there a deadline for accepting the financial aid package?

wesleybs

Postby wesleybs » Fri May 02, 2008 1:11 pm

Also, how easy is it to get in-state residency for 2l year?

MissVirginia

Postby MissVirginia » Fri May 02, 2008 1:17 pm

wesleybs wrote:Also, how easy is it to get in-state residency for 2l year?
Not easy at all. :( But you're married right? If your spouse is a resident and/or you have kids in school it may be doable. We talked about this earlier, somewhere... Virginia is not like CA/OH with allowing grad students to get residency after a year.

wesleybs

Postby wesleybs » Fri May 02, 2008 1:19 pm

My wife will be following in December, hopefully teaching in January, but that won't help until 3l year.

wesleybs

Postby wesleybs » Fri May 02, 2008 2:07 pm

Has anyone looked at the University Gardens? How good/bad are they for the money and are any law students actually staying there?

sialeeds

Postby sialeeds » Fri May 02, 2008 3:19 pm

wesleybs wrote:My wife will be following in December, hopefully teaching in January, but that won't help until 3l year.

Yeah, 99% chance you won't get residency until 3L. At least the difference isn't as a huge as some other schools (as a resident, I wish it was, but the point is that you're not missing out on too much $$$).

wesleybs wrote:Has anyone looked at the University Gardens? How good/bad are they for the money and are any law students actually staying there?

Not Ivy Gardens, right? I don't know much about them...

cantwaitforuva

Postby cantwaitforuva » Fri May 02, 2008 4:53 pm

wesleybs wrote:Has anyone looked at the University Gardens? How good/bad are they for the money and are any law students actually staying there?

Are you talking about this place: http://www.virginia.edu/housing/options ... ype=family

It's listed on the UVA website as a good place for married couples.
The rooms are really small. A 2br is less than 700 sqft

cantwaitforuva

Postby cantwaitforuva » Fri May 02, 2008 5:33 pm

Ok more questions about loans.

My loans are all showing up now on the main financial aid page. Do I need to do anything else?

greygoose

Postby greygoose » Sat May 03, 2008 1:12 am

yea...i was planning to wait for BofA, but if we send verification form and 1040 stuff are we done?

sialeeds

Postby sialeeds » Sat May 03, 2008 1:16 am

cantwaitforuva wrote:Ok more questions about loans.

My loans are all showing up now on the main financial aid page. Do I need to do anything else?

Good question... mine show up too, but I haven't heard anything directly from BofA... does this mean everything is good to go? I know nothing about financial aid, I'm new to this...

aguyingeorgia

Postby aguyingeorgia » Sat May 03, 2008 1:17 am

:evil:

greygoose

Postby greygoose » Sat May 03, 2008 1:17 am

seems the norm? nothing from bofa? they said they'd send something for me to sign for stafford loans?

greygoose

Postby greygoose » Sat May 03, 2008 1:19 am

guy: you're welcome whenever you want to come down, i was just playing with the 3 pics earlier (if it seemed unclear)

aguyingeorgia

Postby aguyingeorgia » Sat May 03, 2008 1:22 am

I found all of those pictures hilarious.

Then, I put my top hat on, went to the theatre, and invited Greygoose Wikes Booth to the balcony to watch a play with me.

greygoose

Postby greygoose » Sat May 03, 2008 1:34 am

:D

J-Rod

Postby J-Rod » Sat May 03, 2008 12:08 pm

goose, I love your avatar

cantwaitforuva

Postby cantwaitforuva » Sat May 03, 2008 1:15 pm

Ok. Are you guys ready for another roommate horror story.

Last night my roommate's boyfriend took my phone as a joke and gave it to a stranger (super dumb) who stole it. This was an expensive phone and a present from my parents, which is a big deal to me. Important piece of info: my parents are not well off so this was a big present! So I confront the roomie's bf (let's call her Kim and him Chris) and tell him if this guy doesn't give me my phone back, then Chris will have to buy me a new phone. Please note: his parents are very well off (millionaires) and it would not be a big deal for him financially to buy me a new phone. He gets really defensive, calls me a bitch, and says it's my fault. I'm very upset and I go to tell the bartender about the phone so he can keep an eye out for it. Then I took a cab home, because I did not want to talk to Chris.

So I get home and am pissed. After I've been there for 1/2 hour Chris shows up and we get into a huge fight. I rush at him and tell him that I expect him to get me a new phone. He starts saying a bunch of personal stuff about me. He knows my insecurities so he can really push my buttons. He's yelling that I'm going to fail law school, that none of my friends actually like me and that the group's been trying to get rid of me for the last three years, and that I should kill myself. Not pretty. I do not bring personal stuff in on him, and believe me I have some stuff on him that would make Kim lose it. So then Kim gets in the middle of it and is really pissed that I'm yelling at her bf. She is normally the quietest, most reasonable person. She starts yelling that she never wants to speak to me again. I ask her to at least listen to my side of the story and she says, "No, because you're lying." I tell Chris to get out of my apartment or I'm calling security. He refuses, I pack my bags and leave, they leave, too.

I come back later and the other roommates and I talk it out and they agree that Chris should not be allowed in our apartment again, but I haven't spoken to Chris or Kim since. This is going to be the most uncomfortable month of my life.

I was originally planning on moving into my new apt in mid-July (when my current lease is up), but I think I'm going to bump it up and move out in mid-June. This really sucks for the other roomies, because all of the furniture and stuff is mine, so they will have a tough last month without me.

Sorry this is so long, I just really needed to get this off my chest.

cantwaitforuva

Postby cantwaitforuva » Sat May 03, 2008 1:16 pm

And any advice on how to deal with Kim would be much appreciated.

sialeeds

Postby sialeeds » Sat May 03, 2008 1:54 pm

My advice for dealing with Kim... drop her like a bad habit. If she's that naive and oblivious about what a douche her boyfriend is, she probably isn't that good of a friend / person.

For non-harsh advice, I would recommend e-mailing her with your side of the story and telling her that you really don't want this to come in the way of your friendship (you guys have been friends for so long, you have so many fun memories together, etc). If she doesn't respond or try to make an effort, then just forget it. If you take the high road and she doesn't reciprocate, then no one can blame you (not that they can now, but they really have no ground to stand on if you do this).

That's really horrible, I'm so sorry. I hate it when people aren't respectful of other people's property... I mean, what the hell is that guy's problem? File a police report for stolen property, he'll start looking for a replacement phone pretty quick... ;)

Also, don't let this affect your housing plans. Not worth it.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Sat May 03, 2008 1:57 pm

Drop her phone in the toilet.

cantwaitforuva

Postby cantwaitforuva » Sat May 03, 2008 2:37 pm

Sia - thanks for the advice. I have tried to talk to her, but she wouldn't have it. So I'm just giving up there. I wont do anything rash housing-wise. Luckily I can stay with my best friend for the two weeks after graduation. After that Kim is going on vacation for a month so I won't have to see her. But my new apt is ready on June 14th, so I think I will move in then, so I will be gone before she gets back.

gladiator - maybe I should just take hers. We have the same model of phone. :D

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”