University of Virginia School of Law 2011

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
Son of Cicero

Postby Son of Cicero » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:57 am

Do you guys have any brief questions about the UVa experience for my cousin who is a 1L there? I am going to e-mail him in the next day or two with my winter break greetings and law school questions.

playhero

Postby playhero » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:05 am

Man I really hope someday I can get into UVA. This thread just makes me want to go there even more :shock:

gmail

Postby gmail » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:36 am

I'm looking to avoid people who wear seersucker shorts and people who are members of country clubs. Is UVA the breeding ground of these types?

greygoose

Postby greygoose » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:48 am

from what i understand, you have a minority of those types that i think most of us would like to avoid (not even sure about this, it all comes down to a person's personality (being rich doesn't equal being pompous/arrogant). I would think a majority of UVA students don't have enough $ to live that lifestyle. The in-state tuition and out-state differs only by roughly $5K.
Last edited by greygoose on Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wellsfargowagon

Postby Wellsfargowagon » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:52 am

I'm looking to avoid people who wear seersucker shorts and people who are members of country clubs. Is UVA the breeding ground of these types?

This is a common stereotype that, based on having visited several friends at the school over the years, has little basis in truth (if any). Granted, the Foxfield outings don't do much to counter the image, with everyone dressing up in "Old Virginia" garb with seersucker and bonnets. Hell, my current facebook photo is me in a striped blue shirt and bright green tie at Foxfield.

But it's all in good fun. No one really dresses like that otherwise. People by and large wear t-shirts and jeans to class. Students take their beer and softball seriously, but I've found UVA law kids to be among the most friendly of any school I've visited. Whatever applicability the "rich preppy d-bag" stereotype has with respect to the undergrad institution, it's way off the mark when it comes to the law school.

Besides, do the folks in this thread sound like country club types to you? :)

And yeah, we definitely need a facebook group.

Wellsfargowagon

Postby Wellsfargowagon » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:57 am

A heads up - looks like folks are now getting RD decisions:

--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--

the rza

Postby the rza » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:10 am

only one of those profiles looks like it could be legitimate

Nike6075

Postby Nike6075 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:17 am

A couple things:

1. Foxfield is excellent, and there is nothing wrong with occasionally rocking seersuckers.

2. Of the LSN profiles above, Saasen is definitely real (he posted about his acceptance on LSD).

greygoose

Postby greygoose » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:46 am

how are people figuring out possible roommate combinations?

btw what is foxfield(s)?

Nike6075

Postby Nike6075 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:29 pm

The Foxfield races is a horse-racing event held every year in C'Ville. It is widely attended by students from almost every school in the state. People wear traditional attire (seersucker pants, pastel button-downs, vin. vines ties, sundresses, etc); groups (fraternities, etc) set up plots in the infield and tailgate. Unlike most sporting events, Foxfield isn't really about the races at all - in my three years of attendance, I think I maybe paid attention to the horses for a total of ten minutes. It's mostly a get-dressed-up and drink all day event.

iwasgoingtobeasenator

Postby iwasgoingtobeasenator » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:53 pm

I wanna go to UVa! I wonder if I offer them my first born now instead of later....

You people with your "acceptances" make me sick! (Not really, I just envy you so much)

greygoose

Postby greygoose » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:37 pm

ok, that actually sounds pretty fun.

OldBlue

Postby OldBlue » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:01 pm

I don't get why people think UVA is a breeding ground for snobs. It's a public school - don't snobs, by definition, look down on public schools? My guess is that the respect for tradition and history is misinterpreted as snobbery. UVA students' pride in their school may also be a factor - but that seems like a good thing.

Sounds like a 1/2/3 br at IG or one of the others mentioned by Wells is the best option. I'm down to split a 2/3 br or maybe even a house. The FB group would be good for roommate considerations. Unless someone is already on it I'll see what I can do.

Edit: that's awesome Cicero. Could you ask your cousin about his/her opinions on the housing options?

greygoose

Postby greygoose » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:34 pm

i'm thinking about a 2-3 bedroom to share with 1-2 other guys next fall. anyone interested? it's a bit early to think about it, but i'm a pretty neat and responsible person, so that's what i'm looking for in other roommates.

btw facebook group is up for those attending:

University of Virginia School of Law - Class of 2011

gmail

Postby gmail » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:44 am

See, it was a friend's pictures from the Foxfield stuff that made me not apply. I'm sure UVA is right up some people's alley but I think I've gotten enough of a picture to realize that I'd end up hating it within a few months.

Wellsfargowagon

Postby Wellsfargowagon » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:15 am

Really? Like I mentioned earlier, based on anecdotal evidence and my own experience, Foxfield attire is indicative of neither the clothing style nor attitudes of 90% of students. Sure, photos of guys in pink pants and quadruple-layered popped-collared polos certainly doesn't add any appeal, but it's all done in good fun and even with a tongue-in-cheek acknowledgement of its absurdity.

The best proof I can offer: some of my best friends from college are current students. None comes close to being a douchebag, and yet they rave about the school and how well they fit in. Out of the dozens of students I've met, not one fits the stereotype. I'm sure they exist, but you could probably say the same for any elite law school.

bauerahl

Postby bauerahl » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:21 am

I second Wells here. It is a misconception to equate the dress of foxfields with the rest of the year. As it is with most schools (I imagine), jeans and a t-shirt are the popular choice of attire.

And gmail, I can't imagine anyone hating UVA. It is such a friendly place. I'm not saying there is no competition but most people have no problem helping others out. Everything is top notch at the law school (ok, the cafeteria does suck but that's about it).

greygoose

Postby greygoose » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:33 am

there seems to be a stigma that if you attend UVA = you love it, and if you don't = you hate its guts...?

i was surfing youtube and watched a few videos of vtech bashing virginia football and its fan attire. i slightly agree that wearing ties and bowties to football games is plain weird...

regardless, from what i've heard and seen, the students are some of the most collegial in the entire nation. i'd recommend not letting a few examples tarnish the image of uva for you. for the random thread browsers, come for a visit before you start listening to the nasty stereotypes.

zeezoo

Postby zeezoo » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:46 pm

I own pink shorts, a belt with pheasants on it, as well as plaid pants. Would I fit in well? :)

Wellsfargowagon

Postby Wellsfargowagon » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:18 pm

As long as those plaid pants are pastel colored - preferably salmon and yellow :p

Probity

Postby Probity » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:20 pm

Wow, I really have some shopping to do then. Pastels...pastels...

Wellsfargowagon

Postby Wellsfargowagon » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:38 pm

Probity - I'll admit, part of me does miss the sight of Mr. Hutz.

My two favorite moments (from the same ep, I think):

Judge: Do you have any evidence at all?
Hutz: Well, Your Honor, we have plenty of hearsay and conjecture... those are kinds of evidence...

Hutz: Your Honor, I'd like to call all of my surpise witnesses again.

Who's the little one in your new avatar?

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:44 pm

If I get in and end up going there, I'm thinking Graduate Centre. It's not a social center like Ivy Gardens but I think it's pretty nice to get your own room and bathroom with a shared common area for like $400-500. It's also pretty much in the center of everything...the law school, Barracks, and JPJ form a nice triangle around it.

Probity

Postby Probity » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:44 pm

The little one? That's baby Jebus. (I have the fortune of living with this one.)

Fixes business card: "Works on contigency? No, money down!"..."And this Bar Association thingy shouldn't be there..."

greygoose

Postby greygoose » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:59 am

Happy early New Year to all my fellow Virginians! May you be blessed with a joyous and prosperous 2008!

I'll be gone till the end of the month, so all the best. I'll update this list when I get back. In the meantime I leave you with this:

Auld Lang Syne

Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind ?
Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and auld lang syne ?

CHORUS:
For auld lang syne, my dear,
for auld lang syne,
we'll take a cup o’ kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

And surely you’ll buy your pint cup !
And surely I’ll buy mine !