University of Virginia School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
greygoose

Bronze

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Post by greygoose » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:03 pm

holly why are you even roommates with this person? you ought to keep your pimpin hand strong and lay down the law...

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:04 pm

Holly Madison wrote:i never get to watch tv or movies or relax in the living room, because when mine is home, she is always in there, with all of her stuff spread out. i don't get to actually enjoy my apartment, i just clean it, even though i don't make the mess. oh, and furnish and decorate it, and buy everything for it. i really don't know what she's going to do in a month when her new place doesn't clean itself, or restock itself with toilet paper and food and clean bathroom towels.
OMG I'm in a very similar situation. Luckily I have one other clean roommate, so she does a lot of work, too. My major problem is I bought all of the furniture and whenever I want to sit down there's no place for me to sit, because they take up all of it. It really pisses me off. I can't wait to have my own place and sit on every piece of furniture I own.

Seriously, I've sat on the couch I bought less than 10 times.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:06 pm

I hope my roommates aren't as bad as yours, I've had my doubts about them. :mrgreen:

Holly Madison

Bronze

Post by Holly Madison » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:08 pm

i am completely incapable of confrontation in these kinds of situations. and this one doesn't walk all over me quite as bad as the last one did. the last one used to use my nice table for beer pong and leave gross solo cups all over and have parties that lasted all night, even when i had class or exams in the morning. this one just cooks a lot and leaves the food to rot in the pot and on plates all over and doesn't clean it up, and keeps the tv on loud all night so that i can't sleep without ear plugs.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:09 pm

gladiator wrote:I hope my roommates aren't as bad as yours, I've had my doubts about them. :mrgreen:
This is why I will never have another roommate again except for a SO.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:10 pm

damn...i thought my (former) roommates were bad, (sax player, tv/video games at 4AM)...i survived but not well, noon-time naps saved me.

Holly Madison

Bronze

Post by Holly Madison » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:13 pm

cantwaitforuva wrote: This is why I will never have another roommate again except for a SO.
i probably won't either, this stuff gets me really stressed out. i need to have a gorgeous, immaculate apartment, and i hate having the tv on all the time. this is doing awful things for my blood pressure, i'm sure.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:13 pm

Clean freak roommates can be annoying, too. One of my roommates vacuums every night. Often during the last 15 minutes of whatever show I'm watching. She also cleans things that I'm using - I'll be cooking in the kitchen and I'll leave for a few minutes to read while something is cooking and I'll come back and she's thrown it out and washed the pot.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:13 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Could such an innocent face be a bad roommate? I think not.

I've been pretty lucky actually. Other than one suitemate who smoked weed in his room and occasionally made too much noise, it's been satisfactory. I only had an in-room roommate for 1 semester though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:15 pm

Holly Madison wrote:
cantwaitforuva wrote: This is why I will never have another roommate again except for a SO.
i probably won't either, this stuff gets me really stressed out. i need to have a gorgeous, immaculate apartment, and i hate having the tv on all the time. this is doing awful things for my blood pressure, i'm sure.
I'm the exact same way. I need everything to be in its place or I'll be stressed out. Sadly, my room is often a mess right now because we just don't have enough room for all of our stuff. Before I can write a paper I have to put all the junk somewhere else so I can't see it.

Holly Madison

Bronze

Post by Holly Madison » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:15 pm

if i ever had to have an in-room roommate, i would die. seriously.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:16 pm

gladiator wrote:--ImageRemoved--

I've been pretty lucky actually. Other than one suitemate who smoked weed in his room and occasionally made too much noise, it's been satisfactory. I only had an in-room roommate for 1 semester though.
so lucky. I've shared a bedroom and bathroom most of my life, including every semester in college.

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:16 pm

gladiator wrote:--ImageRemoved--

that's the face of a homicidal sociopath...no joke... :lol: i kid, i kid!

actually what's much worse would be rooming with this guy "Corey Delaney"

Last edited by greygoose on Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MissVirginia

Bronze

Post by MissVirginia » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:19 pm

gladiator wrote:
MissVirginia wrote:Mysteriously to me, I stumbled onto Harvard's WL as well.
Did I miss your final school decision or are you still pending?
Still pending. [cut] Once a deposit is in somewhere, I'll probably follow your lead and change my avatar accordingly. ;-) [cut]

As for the roommate conversation: I've lived with them, I've lived without them... unless it's someone I've married or whom I can claim as a dependent on my taxes, no more housemates. Ever. And I've never even had a particularly bad situation, I just like my own space and am willing to pay for it. This greatly competes with my cheapness, the frugal side of me soooo wishes I could split rent. I'll hold out for my SO; I'm with cantwait on this one!
Last edited by MissVirginia on Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:27 pm

In about 3 years, that will probably be my policy (pending decent job) but for now I'm willing to be cheap and live with others.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:01 pm

I've never had a bad roommate

I'm still really good friends w/ my roommate from freshman year in the dorms. My sophomore year I lived w/ 3 other guys, and it was fine. And for the last 2 years I've lived with my current roommate. Neither of us are neat-freaks, but we both do our part to keep stuff clean. Neither of us freaks out about a couple dishes in the sink overnight, etc.

Compromise is key. I've found it's much better to do that, than try and find someone just like you, or expect them to live according to your housekeeping standards.

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:28 pm

I once had an OCD roommate. I would leave my room and she'd be standing in the hall (we didn't have a living room or anything... our kitchenette was in this long hallway that connected our rooms) washing her hands frantically. The sink was right outside my room so I'd hear it go on like once an hour. It drove me nuts, mostly because it was so bizarre and I didn't get it. She also had a crazy mother who'd call from China at like 8 AM and scream at her. Fun times.

Holly and Cantwait -- you need to regulate! I've never had a problem telling someone when they're being too loud ;) And conversely, I'd never be irritated if someone told me I was being too loud (then again I try to be very conscious of this... I ask my roommate when she goes in her room to do work if she wants me to turn down the tv, etc). I am a neat freak, but I certainly don't vacuum every day or clean my roommate's dishes before she's done with them. And Holly, I sympathize with buying all the cleaning supplies... I don't think any of my roommates have ever provided anything. In the case of my current roommate, if I tell her she has no problem getting it -- she is just very oblivious (part of why I love her). It's almost like an older/younger sister situation (even though she's technically older), so I don't mind doing her dishes and cleaning up after her every now and then. But she certainly isn't slobby... I could never tolerate that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bamabreeze

Bronze

Post by bamabreeze » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:42 pm

Last edited by bamabreeze on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:20 am

sia - i've tried bringing up problems with roommates in the past, but it's never gone well so I just keep my mouth shut now and tell myself i've got less thn 2 months left. I also like things to be really clean - no dishes anywhere, nothing lying around, etc. By neat freak I meant vacuuming everyday and stuff.

I agree the worst is sharing a small studio with someone. Freshman year I shared a studio with two girls. One had a boyfriend abroad and they would end up in screaming matches 5 feet from my bed at 3am on the phone. She was also bulimic and I had to clean her vomit off of the toilet everyday. Gross.

That said I really love all the girls I've roomed with and we're all still great friends. There are just some friends that I could never live with again.

Holly Madison

Bronze

Post by Holly Madison » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:26 am

ha, yea, i'm counting down too. less than three weeks until i'm out of here!!

it's sad though, because i loved this apartment so much before she ruined it.

oh, update: she left so much crap all over, i may as well have not spent hours cleaning today.

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:33 am

feels weird some of us are graduating...damn 4 years went by quick. not sure i was ever a huge fan of my undergrad experience, but it had some great moments. definitely looking forward to the good stuff come fall time.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Holly Madison

Bronze

Post by Holly Madison » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:42 am

i enjoyed it here for like five minutes. i can not wait to graduate. also, it looks like i'll be back from europe june 24... plan that UVa NYC gathering!

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:52 am

I really enjoyed ugrad. I'm not a big fan of my school, but my friends are amazing and i've had some great experiences. Far better than high school - which i hated. I think law school will be even better!

Only 3 days of classes left!!

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:39 am

Sia - congrats on finding a roommate. Was it the girl from the get together? She seemed very nice.

triadolpho

New

Post by triadolpho » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:02 am

greygoose wrote:damn...i thought my (former) roommates were bad, (sax player, tv/video games at 4AM)...i survived but not well, noon-time naps saved me.
So I guess that means I should leave my tuba at home? :?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”