University of Virginia School of Law 2011

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Postby gladiator » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:02 pm

wesleybs wrote:Hey all, I just decided to attend UVA after visiting this weekend, so I'm new to this. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to near-campus apartments that are relatively nice and cheap. I'm am married. Although my wife will not be joining me at UVA until January, I'm guessing I'll just be alone in a one br apt. during the first semester. I looked at one of the the Jefferson apartments yesterday, but that is all I've seen. If you have any good info or know of some actually useful sources, please pm me. Thanks!


Brac.com?

Arlington Court Condos are 1 br/1 ba and about $700/month, short walk to the school.

cantwaitforuva
Posts: 834
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:05 am

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Postby cantwaitforuva » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:05 pm

gladiator wrote:
Cooking fish = smelly apartment.
Elephant dung = really smelly apartment.


If you're eating smelly fish, then it isn't fresh.
Fresh fish does not smell "fishy." Sadly, most grocery stores do not have very fresh fish. You need to go on the right day - ask them when they get their shipments. Whole foods can be decent. If you catch your own, then it is excellent.

User avatar
tkm.
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:11 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Postby tkm. » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:37 pm

aw UVa kids are so nice...cantwait offers to help me with housing and then a kid I haven't talked to since highschool who is graduating from UVa this year offers to help me out after reading my whiny status message on facebook

sigh..I want to be excited about next year, but between my crappy housing situation, the lack of employment opportunities for my boyfriend in C'ville, and the fact that I know I'm going to finish last in the class...I don't even know if I should go anymore

so depressed lately :cry:

User avatar
bamabreeze
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:50 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Postby bamabreeze » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:13 pm

.
Last edited by bamabreeze on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cantwaitforuva
Posts: 834
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:05 am

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Postby cantwaitforuva » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:23 pm

bamabreeze wrote:To add to the sadness of the thread right now... my hard drive got wiped and now I have absolutely nothing on my computer :( (although finally I do have it back) Right before finals too, isn't that great!?! Yay asking classmates for notes...


That sucks! sorry.

User avatar
tkm.
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:11 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Postby tkm. » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:24 pm

I'm sorry bama...that's awful

User avatar
sialeeds
Posts: 438
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:47 am

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Postby sialeeds » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:31 pm

This thread just got depressing... :shock:

tkm, we will find you housing, your boyfriend will find a job, and you will NOT finish last in the class! Besides, what would I do without you to reminisce about Bmore? Hahahaha.

Holly -- three weeks is the longest!?!?! Five months is the longest I've gone without seeing my bf, but we were broken up then. 2.5 months is the longest while we've been together. I'm glad you'll be sending in your deposit, though (watch you get an envelope from NYU the next day, hah!) You should seriously call them though.

User avatar
tkm.
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:11 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Postby tkm. » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:35 pm

I'm sorry for killing the thread...please resume happy chatter

User avatar
Holly Madison
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:58 am

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Postby Holly Madison » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:40 pm

it's okay tkm, if you didn't, i would. i have been soooo depressed all day... i'm trying to channel it into deep cleaning my apartment. between the week i was in europe, and then the week i spent in nyc, this place has gotten messy! (no thanks to my slob of a roommate)

but yes, sadness. might tear into a pint of ben & jerry's and put on breakfast at tiffany's.

User avatar
bamabreeze
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:50 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Postby bamabreeze » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:49 pm

.
Last edited by bamabreeze on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cantwaitforuva
Posts: 834
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:05 am

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Postby cantwaitforuva » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:58 pm

I've got a presentation due tomorrow and I really don't want to do it. The professor hates me and no matter what I feel like he'll think I'm an idiot. I know I should just do it, but argh!

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Postby gladiator » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:01 pm

I'm officially calling you all out (except J-Rod) for never being on AIM. What happened to the good old days (2 weeks ago) where 8-10 of us were in the TLS UVA chat?

User avatar
Wellsfargowagon
Posts: 268
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Postby Wellsfargowagon » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:08 pm

It's getting to be crunch time for a lot of us, man. Undergrads are going into finals, and I'm going to trial for a full month starting Wednesday.

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Postby gladiator » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:12 pm

My AIM is on pretty much every second I'm awake (obviously with an away message frequently). Do most of you shut down your computers when you're not around? I never really understood the purpose of not just leaving it on with an away message unless you're busy and can't allow it to distract you.

cantwaitforuva
Posts: 834
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:05 am

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Postby cantwaitforuva » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:13 pm

I'm very rarely online. I pretty much only go on if I know you guys are having a TLS chat.

User avatar
tkm.
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:11 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Postby tkm. » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:17 pm

cantwaitforuva wrote:I'm very rarely online. I pretty much only go on if I know you guys are having a TLS chat.


same here

greygoose
Posts: 436
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:57 am

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Postby greygoose » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:20 pm

i'm usually on m-th...

but guys hang in there, everything will be fine in the head, just keep chuggin...

rsr28
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:30 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Postby rsr28 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:38 pm

gladiator wrote:My AIM is on pretty much every second I'm awake (obviously with an away message frequently). Do most of you shut down your computers when you're not around? I never really understood the purpose of not just leaving it on with an away message unless you're busy and can't allow it to distract you.


To those having a rough time right now: sorry to hear about your troubles and hope you can hang in there! I know everyone says this but it really will work out in the end just have to keep believing that and don't shortchange yourself for anything!

I used a laptop as my sole computer for the past few years so even though I have a desktop now I got severely into the habit of shutting everything down all the time to make my battery last all through undergrad (which, fortunately, I was able to do!!). Plus, with Facebook now, there's really no reason to leave AIM on if not actively chatting since most people check Facebook daily and you can just send a message on there that would get ready as quickly as on AIM.

Anyways that's my story.

I got my deposit confirmed like 3 days after I sent it so that was nice! When are you guys sending in your second deposit? I miraculously made it onto Harvard's waitlist so I guess I'll wait until as close to that 2nd deadline as possible. But is tempting to just send it now and have everything done, except for FinAid, that is required to show up at orientation and get rolling. Is there anything we'll need to do between sending that 2nd deposit and when orientation starts? (except for FinAid)?

cantwaitforuva
Posts: 834
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:05 am

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Postby cantwaitforuva » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:48 pm

I'm gonna send the second one next week.

rsr - what about housing? You don't want to put that off for too long. When will Harvard let you know? And congrats!

User avatar
J-Rod
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:00 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Postby J-Rod » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:49 pm

i'm waiting until I get my travel stipend from UVA, then I'll send in my second deposit

User avatar
Holly Madison
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:58 am

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Postby Holly Madison » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:55 pm

Holly Madison wrote:but yes, sadness. might tear into a pint of ben & jerry's and put on breakfast at tiffany's.


update: while i was finishing up with cleaning, my roommate came home, didn't even notice that the place was spotless even though she left it a pigsty, and went on to drop all of her crap in the living room area and turn off my music and put on the tv. so much for a relaxing night watching audrey hepburn movies. and having a clean apartment for more than five minutes.

cantwaitforuva
Posts: 834
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:05 am

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Postby cantwaitforuva » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:58 pm

Holly Madison wrote:
Holly Madison wrote:but yes, sadness. might tear into a pint of ben & jerry's and put on breakfast at tiffany's.


update: while i was finishing up with cleaning, my roommate came home, didn't even notice that the place was spotless even though she left it a pigsty, and went on to drop all of her crap in the living room area and turn off my music and put on the tv. so much for a relaxing night watching audrey hepburn movies. and having a clean apartment for more than five minutes.


argh. roommates. Something similar happens to me often. My roommate and I will be watching tv together and when she's done (ie going to work, class, leaving the room to do homework) she turns the tv off and leaves, with me sitting there staring at a blank screen. wtf?

User avatar
MissVirginia
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:21 am

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Postby MissVirginia » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:59 pm

rsr28 wrote:I got my deposit confirmed like 3 days after I sent it so that was nice! When are you guys sending in your second deposit? I miraculously made it onto Harvard's waitlist so I guess I'll wait until as close to that 2nd deadline as possible. But is tempting to just send it now and have everything done, except for FinAid, that is required to show up at orientation and get rolling. Is there anything we'll need to do between sending that 2nd deposit and when orientation starts? (except for FinAid)?
I don't know of anything else to do other than deposits, sending final transcripts and verification of graduation.

Mysteriously to me, I stumbled onto Harvard's WL as well.

User avatar
Holly Madison
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:58 am

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Postby Holly Madison » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:01 pm

i never get to watch tv or movies or relax in the living room, because when mine is home, she is always in there, with all of her stuff spread out. i don't get to actually enjoy my apartment, i just clean it, even though i don't make the mess. oh, and furnish and decorate it, and buy everything for it. i really don't know what she's going to do in a month when her new place doesn't clean itself, or restock itself with toilet paper and food and clean bathroom towels.

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Postby gladiator » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:03 pm

MissVirginia wrote:
rsr28 wrote:I got my deposit confirmed like 3 days after I sent it so that was nice! When are you guys sending in your second deposit? I miraculously made it onto Harvard's waitlist so I guess I'll wait until as close to that 2nd deadline as possible. But is tempting to just send it now and have everything done, except for FinAid, that is required to show up at orientation and get rolling. Is there anything we'll need to do between sending that 2nd deposit and when orientation starts? (except for FinAid)?
I don't know of anything else to do other than deposits, sending final transcripts and verification of graduation.

Mysteriously to me, I stumbled onto Harvard's WL as well.


Did I miss your final school decision or are you still pending?




Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest