University of Virginia School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
Khordis

New

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Post by Khordis » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:14 pm

from the pirate pete's mini golf website: "You will enjoy the decorations and be greatly entertained trying to putt through and around the various obstacles."

never have i heard the drama of miniature golf described with such emotion and poetry. you can almost feel the various obstacles through and around which you would try to put.

ubuntu

Bronze

Post by ubuntu » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:25 pm

TLS field trip for mini golf, absolutely

hokiefan

New

Post by hokiefan » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:29 pm

I used to play maybe three or four times a year but haven't played in about a year or two but I'll think I'll probably bring my clubs to school if anyone needs a person for their group.

shadowfish

New

Post by shadowfish » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:38 pm

I love mini golf! I'm going to the Jersey shore in a week and I plan to hit every mini golf course on the boardwalk. I'm very pathetic, but it's fun anyways :P

satchelGD

New

Post by satchelGD » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:45 pm

dude, mini-golf... im in.

and im in to learn golf, as well. ive always wanted to, just dont have anyone to play with

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:53 pm

gladiator wrote:
greygoose wrote:not bad!

best mini-golf course i've played is about 45 min from my house. nasty sand and water traps. basically at every hole you have a 35% chance of ball going into the water (you can retrieve it, but such a pain). talk about a challenging course. I believe every hole was par 4-5 or more.
Pennington?
not sure if that's the one. maybe...all i know is i got abused, cuz i'm not used to any hazards when playing mini-golf.

breanne2011

New

Post by breanne2011 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:38 pm

ubuntu wrote:TLS field trip for mini golf, absolutely
Yes yes yes!! It's been far too long since I've played.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:40 pm

I'm definitely down for mini-golf.

Also, good bye!! For a bit. I'm moving down to C-ville this weekend and I won't have internet until Monday, but I might not be on for a week or so because of all the moving in craziness.

tkm.

Bronze

Post by tkm. » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:55 pm

good luck with the move :) let us know if you like The Avemore!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:25 pm

So I just went out and hit two buckets of balls at the range with a buddy of mine who is a really good golfer . . . by the end I was hitting pretty good irons. I was pushing somewhat, but not too badly. He said I have a really good natural swing, and will probably get good fast . . . I told him as long as I don't suck horribly, I'm cool with that, so he's gonna keep playin w/ me and giving me free lessons!

I should be ready to play 18 with you regulars in the fall!

hokiefan

New

Post by hokiefan » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:43 pm

Out of curiosity for anyone who plays golf, what score do you usually shoot?

When I used to play, I'd usually hit around a 100 with my low being 95. I usually hit the ball fairly well but make irrational choices like trying to smack a ball as hard as I can to get out of the trees.

bamabreeze

Bronze

Post by bamabreeze » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:03 am

Last edited by bamabreeze on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:28 am

bamabreeze wrote:Yeah mini-golf!

And if I'm not mistaken, (for the ladies among us) the Virginia Law Women offers golf lessons, so that we too will be able to impress partners with our golf skills :)

However, I am wondering just how much we would be included in the partners' golf outings. In the legal world, golf = only a boys' club activity? Would the women in the law firm have their own thing?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tkm.

Bronze

Post by tkm. » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:40 am

And if I'm not mistaken, (for the ladies among us) the Virginia Law Women offers golf lessons, so that we too will be able to impress partners with our golf skills :)

However, I am wondering just how much we would be included in the partners' golf outings. In the legal world, golf = only a boys' club activity? Would the women in the law firm have their own thing?
spa day!

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:57 am

tkm. wrote:

spa day!
I know at least one firm had a day at the spa for the female summer associates and the female partners.

And some firms offer weekly massages.

bamabreeze

Bronze

Post by bamabreeze » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:39 am

Last edited by bamabreeze on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shadowfish

New

Post by shadowfish » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:42 am

One of my mom's favorite stories is about when she was 7-8 months pregnant and was forced to go on a golf outing with her firm. They ended up pairing her with one of the senior partners, who felt bad for her and let her sit in the golf cart.

So in short, I think you'd be included. :P

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Son of Cicero

Bronze

Post by Son of Cicero » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:45 am

shadowfish wrote:One of my mom's favorite stories is about when she was 7-8 months pregnant and was forced to go on a golf outing with her firm. They ended up pairing her with one of the senior partners, who felt bad for her and let her sit in the golf cart.
There has to be more to this story. :|

shadowfish

New

Post by shadowfish » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:08 am

Son of Cicero wrote:
shadowfish wrote:One of my mom's favorite stories is about when she was 7-8 months pregnant and was forced to go on a golf outing with her firm. They ended up pairing her with one of the senior partners, who felt bad for her and let her sit in the golf cart.
There has to be more to this story. :|
Er, no, actually, not really. She was just very entertained because she was pathetic at golf and the partner was something like 80 years old. But she's told me this story at least 5 times...

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:08 am

bamabreeze wrote:
Annnnd re: the pic, J-Rod, I like the "Iron my shirt" guy, haha... I am actually not a big feminist! I mean, I'm against disadvantaging women (obviously), but I'm also against giving us undue advantages.
Sialeeds will probably jump on this, too, but feminism doesn't mean giving women extra advantages (like AA). At its most basic it is a desire for equal rights for men and women.

MissVirginia

Bronze

Post by MissVirginia » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:52 am

cantwaitforuva wrote:
bamabreeze wrote:Annnnd re: the pic, J-Rod, I like the "Iron my shirt" guy, haha... I am actually not a big feminist! I mean, I'm against disadvantaging women (obviously), but I'm also against giving us undue advantages.
Sialeeds will probably jump on this, too, but feminism doesn't mean giving women extra advantages (like AA). At its most basic it is a desire for equal rights for men and women.
This phrase would have been just fine without the parenthetical aside. AA is not about "extra" or "undue" advantages either.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nike6075

New

Post by Nike6075 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:59 am

MissVirginia wrote:
cantwaitforuva wrote:
bamabreeze wrote:Annnnd re: the pic, J-Rod, I like the "Iron my shirt" guy, haha... I am actually not a big feminist! I mean, I'm against disadvantaging women (obviously), but I'm also against giving us undue advantages.
This phrase would have been just fine without the parenthetical aside. AA is not about "extra" or "undue" advantages either.
Uh, what? Maybe it's not "about" that, but AA certainly provides an advantage to candidates who qualify. Not sure what makes it 'extra' or not.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:02 am

Please let's not go down this road.

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:18 am

bamabreeze wrote:Ooooh spa day, if that is free, I have no complaints! Though I still think it would be fun to be able to go drink beer/smoke cigars/play golf... you boys have so many fun activities! (But we have more fun clothes, so there. :))

Annnnd re: the pic, J-Rod, I like the "Iron my shirt" guy, haha... I am actually not a big feminist! I mean, I'm against disadvantaging women (obviously), but I'm also against giving us undue advantages.

But I did find it very funny when I visited some law schools with my boyfriend, and they all talked to him instead of me, until they realized, oh he's the guest, SHE's the one with the full-tuition scholarship, oooops!
congrats on getting a full scholarship...u took uva over harvard?

Nike6075

New

Post by Nike6075 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:19 am

Also, you can have "equal rights" and still iron shirts/make sandwiches.

I'm just playin - trying my damndest to make some shit happen today.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”