University of Virginia School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
vivitebene

New

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Post by vivitebene » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:32 am

Hey,

I am looking for a roommate for an apartment, walking distance from the law school. I am 22, a non-smoker, laid back, and I like to study outside the apartment. I sleep through just about anything and I am looking for someone who is outgoing.

I am hoping to sort out an apartment relatively quickly, and would be willing to take care of the searching and legwork.

Please PM me if interested or email me at kevinmichaelkelly at gmail.com

Holly Madison

Bronze

Post by Holly Madison » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:11 pm

hey all :)

bf is in town, so i've been busy!

but how amazing was gg last night?!

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:26 pm

Holly Madison wrote:hey all :)

I missed it - don't tell me!! :(

tkm.

Bronze

Post by tkm. » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:32 pm

i loved it!

Waterman47

Bronze

Post by Waterman47 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:45 pm

Hey,

Have you all signed 9 month or 12 month leases right now? I'm sort of stuck trying to decide.. 9 month lease poses all sorts of complications as far as moving out and so on, but 12 month lease might make for an empty apartment for 3 months... thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:10 pm

Busy you say? ;)

It was sooooo gooooood! Glad it's back :)

P.S. Stop this Georgetown nonsense. Everyone on here please explain to Holly why she'd be nuts to go to Georgetown over UVA.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:20 pm

Waterman47 wrote:Hey,

Have you all signed 9 month or 12 month leases right now? I'm sort of stuck trying to decide.. 9 month lease poses all sorts of complications as far as moving out and so on, but 12 month lease might make for an empty apartment for 3 months... thoughts?
Definitely 12 months for me. Not worth the expenses and energy of moving multiple times a year. I'd rather spend the extra money (3 months rent) so that I can have a real "home" - someplace I live for all three years, can paint the walls, hang lots of art, etc.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:20 pm

sialeeds wrote: P.S. Stop this Georgetown nonsense. Everyone on here please explain to Holly why she'd be nuts to go to Georgetown over UVA.
You would be INSANE to go to Gtown over UVA.

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:26 pm

cantwaitforuva wrote:
Waterman47 wrote:Hey,

Definitely 12 months for me. Not worth the expenses and energy of moving multiple times a year. I'd rather spend the extra money (3 months rent) so that I can have a real "home" - someplace I live for all three years, can paint the walls, hang lots of art, etc.
I agree with this totally -- I plan to either live with my boyfriend in Birmingham or my mom in DC next summer so I'm not paying double rent, but even though I'm flushing money down the toilet, at least I have a place to come back to... definitely worth the money to me. Plus, I might want to occasionally come back to Cville over the summer when I get a break from whatever job I have. More flexibility.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:31 pm

who offers 9 month leases? cuz this 3 months of my apartment being useless will suck. regardless, holly uva > g'town anyday. i'd begrudgingly agree that nyu over uva, but g'town?!

triadolpho

New

Post by triadolpho » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:32 pm

P.S. Stop this Georgetown nonsense. Everyone on here please explain to Holly why she'd be nuts to go to Georgetown over UVA.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifestyle/ ... main_x.htm

Also, UVA >>> Georgetown.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:43 pm

greygoose wrote:who offers 9 month leases? cuz this 3 months of my apartment being useless will suck. regardless, holly uva > g'town anyday. i'd begrudgingly agree that nyu over uva, but g'town?!
stone creek offers 9 month leases.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:46 pm

sialeeds wrote:I agree with this totally -- I plan to either live with my boyfriend in Birmingham or my mom in DC next summer so I'm not paying double rent, but even though I'm flushing money down the toilet, at least I have a place to come back to... definitely worth the money to me. Plus, I might want to occasionally come back to Cville over the summer when I get a break from whatever job I have. More flexibility.
I'm going to do 12 months even though I will have to pay double rent during the summer. I'm hoping to get a summer job in DC, so like sialeeds I will probably go out to c-ville during the summer on occasion. Also, most apts in DC that i'd sublet during the summer are already furnished, so I won't need to move my stuff up.

I'm not sure if people take summer classes at UVA, but maybe you could sublet for the summer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tkm.

Bronze

Post by tkm. » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:38 pm

cantwait- have you heard any news from Carriage Hill?

I'm really worried about this waitlist business. I want a very specific unit and I don't know how often units open up. Plus, I'm frustrated because I did the math and a 3 bedroom at The Woodlands is technically cheaper...I just don't need to bedroom.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:03 pm

tkm. wrote:cantwait- have you heard any news from Carriage Hill?

I'm really worried about this waitlist business. I want a very specific unit and I don't know how often units open up. Plus, I'm frustrated because I did the math and a 3 bedroom at The Woodlands is technically cheaper...I just don't need to bedroom.
They don't have any Hamiltons yet, but people are just now reporting for July, so some may open up.

How is a 3 bedroom at the woodlands cheaper? Isn't a 3 bedroom there $1600?

tkm.

Bronze

Post by tkm. » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:05 pm

It's 1500/mo with 1500 cash back if you sign before April 30...and cable/internet is included

tkm.

Bronze

Post by tkm. » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:13 pm

so a Madison opened up for you?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:18 pm

tkm. wrote:It's 1500/mo with 1500 cash back if you sign before April 30...and cable/internet is included
Gotcha. So for a year the Woodlands would be $16,500 and Carriage Hill would be $15,600 (not incl. cable/internet) for the units you're looking at. So after you factor in the cable and internet CH is more expensive, but not by a lot.

Well if you'd prefer the Woodlands, then why not go with that?

I still prefer CH, the unit is a couple hundred square ft bigger and the layout works better for me. I mean the 2br at CH is 200 sqft bigger than the 3 bedroom at Woodlands. For me, I'm not going to use the amenities that much so I'd rather have the extra apartment space than the other stuff. I just hate the Woodlands' floor plans and they don't have a lot of storage. But that's just me.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:20 pm

tkm. wrote:so a Madison opened up for you?
I'm still waiting, but they said they might have one for me by the end of the week. There's one person ahead of me on the waitlist and if they pass on it I get it. Sadly, it's available a bit later than I wanted, but I'll take what I can get.

I also told them I would take a Hamilton or a Madison - whichever opens up first.

tkm.

Bronze

Post by tkm. » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:25 pm

Yes, The Woodlands is less expensive, but it is difficult to rationalize having a bedroom that we won't use. Also, the CH Hamilton is huge. However, we want a ground floor Hamilton to keep the price down because my boyfriend doesn't know if he'll be able to find employment in Charlottesville. So ideally, we'd like to stay at CH. However, there is a chance that nothing will open up.

ubuntu

Bronze

Post by ubuntu » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:42 pm

hey, did anyone get a confirmation that their uva seat deposit had been received? i mailed mine in a week ago and called today and they still don't have it. being a compulsive worrier, i'm ... well ... worried.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:44 pm

The ridiculous thing is that they have a 3br available that i'm considering if the madison doesn't work out this week. Living in a 3 br all by myself is crazy, but i really need a place to live. I think I would make it a gym. Or it could be the cat's room. :)

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:45 pm

ubuntu wrote:hey, did anyone get a confirmation that their uva seat deposit had been received? i mailed mine in a week ago and called today and they still don't have it. being a compulsive worrier, i'm ... well ... worried.
I sent in my first deposit back in Feb. and they received it shortly thereafter

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:45 pm

ubuntu wrote:hey, did anyone get a confirmation that their uva seat deposit had been received? i mailed mine in a week ago and called today and they still don't have it. being a compulsive worrier, i'm ... well ... worried.
I got confirmation of mine in less than a week... sorry to add to the worry. :(

tkm.

Bronze

Post by tkm. » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:52 pm

cantwaitforuva wrote:The ridiculous thing is that they have a 3br available that i'm considering if the madison doesn't work out this week. Living in a 3 br all by myself is crazy, but i really need a place to live. I think I would make it a gym. Or it could be the cat's room. :)
haha well that's a reason that I don't want to get the 3 bedroom at the Woodlands...if he can't find a job and has to move I'll have 3 bedrooms to myself

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”