University of Virginia School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
OnceLost

Bronze

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Post by OnceLost » Tue May 13, 2008 2:29 pm

Keep in mind that Khordis turned down Harvard because he wanted to avoid another molasses flood... :wink:

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Tue May 13, 2008 2:32 pm

OnceLost wrote:Keep in mind that Khordis turned down Harvard because he wanted to avoid another molasses flood... :wink:

HAHAHA. My stance on that is if you can't outrun molassas you probably deserved it. Strenghtening the species and what not.

Khordis

New

Post by Khordis » Tue May 13, 2008 2:33 pm

ubuntu wrote:but that's a lot of money to another amazing school. i am having a bit of a nervous breakdown at my desk right now. it's very awkward.
i took the liberty of photoshopping you into a picture of one of those "thank god for IEDs" military funeral protests and sending it to UChicago admissions. your offer is being revoked in 3...2...1....

that's my good deed for the day. you're welcome.

ubuntu

Bronze

Post by ubuntu » Tue May 13, 2008 2:34 pm

OnceLost wrote:Keep in mind that Khordis turned down Harvard because he wanted to avoid another molasses flood... :wink:

hahahaha i've been taking my chances on the molasses my entire life ...

Wahoo99

New

Post by Wahoo99 » Tue May 13, 2008 2:36 pm

DC Area Meet-Up (UPDATE)

Okay, I've emailed with several of you...just wanted to see if any other TLSers are in on this one.

We're looking forward to seeing a lot of our fellow 0Ls out at Clarendon Ballroom this Thursday at 7:00pm!

--LinkRemoved--

As of now, Thursday looks like it SHOULD :knocking on wood: work for us-- Mid-70s with a slight chance (20-30 percent, depending on the source) of rain.

Weather permitting, let's meet up on the rooftop. Otherwise, we can just go straight for the big bar on the ground floor. If we all get there and decide to relocate, it'd be pretty easy to go elsewhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Tue May 13, 2008 2:39 pm

ubuntu, do you have a funny new england accent? if so, i'm gonna annoy you so much in the fall...chowda, wicked, namally good, abnammally bad...

--LinkRemoved--

i'm looking fowad to playing capsha the flag until the rapsha... :P
Last edited by greygoose on Tue May 13, 2008 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Tue May 13, 2008 2:41 pm

greygoose wrote:ubuntu, do you have a funny new england accent? if so, i'm gonna annoy you so much in the fall...chowda, wicked, namally good, abnammally bad...
wicked isn't an accent. sorry I couldn't resist pointing that out. I should warn you I sometimes say wicked. My roommate's from Boston, so I heard it a lot.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Tue May 13, 2008 2:41 pm

If Chicago housing/food/living expenses are only going to be $2000 more/year, you must have found the bargain of the century or you're living in a real dump. I would imagine it has to be at least $4000 more/year to live anywhere decent and so close to the law school like your setup at UVa.

Besides, I believe you said I'm going to be the best roommate ever. Is a sub-best roommate ever really worth such a small amount of $ difference?

I think it's hard to beat UVa's environment and friendly curriculum. Granted, I'm biased and didn't even apply to Chicago but I think you should stick with your original decision unless you really love Chicago enough to uproot your whole situation.

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Tue May 13, 2008 2:43 pm

cantwaitforuva wrote:
greygoose wrote:ubuntu, do you have a funny new england accent? if so, i'm gonna annoy you so much in the fall...chowda, wicked, namally good, abnammally bad...
wicked isn't an accent. sorry I couldn't resist pointing that out. I should warn you I sometimes say wicked. My roommate's from Boston, so I heard it a lot.
yea, i know...but it sounds funny like this "wicked haad"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Tue May 13, 2008 2:43 pm

gladiator wrote:If Chicago housing/food/living expenses are only going to be $2000 more/year, you must have found the bargain of the century or you're living in a real dump. I would imagine it has to be at least $4000 more/year to live anywhere decent and so close to the law school like your setup at UVa.

Besides, I believe you said I'm going to be the best roommate ever. Is a sub-best roommate ever really worth such a small amount of $ difference?

I think it's hard to beat UVa's environment and friendly curriculum. Granted, I'm biased and didn't even apply to Chicago but I think you should stick with your original decision unless you really love Chicago enough to uproot your whole situation.
Chicago is a pretty inexpensive city.

Khordis

New

Post by Khordis » Tue May 13, 2008 2:43 pm

laugh it up, everyone. just don't expect any help from me when you are all gasping for breath, praying for some eggos to sop up all that syrupy goodness. plus, your shoes are going to be ruined. RUINED, i tell you!

ubuntu

Bronze

Post by ubuntu » Tue May 13, 2008 2:45 pm

i do have an accent, but it's more prominent when i've had a few drinks. i say stahbucks a lot. hahvahd. fenway pahk. and i say wicked a TON.

you guys are all right about uva - but it's still a hard choice. i never expected to be offered money, or so much, from chicago. and it is really flattering. i have no idea what i'm going to do.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Tue May 13, 2008 2:46 pm

Khordis wrote:
laugh it up, everyone. just don't expect any help from me when you are all gasping for breath, praying for some eggos to sop up all that syrupy goodness. plus, your shoes are going to be ruined. RUINED, i tell you!
you put molasses on waffles? I was thinking you should throw some sugar and flour in that flood and then get out your flame-thrower so you can make some molasses cookies.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Khordis

New

Post by Khordis » Tue May 13, 2008 2:47 pm

this is going to be you guys in several million years.

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Tue May 13, 2008 2:47 pm

wes where you living in the fall?

i can help you by making rum during this unfortunate dilemma...

yea, but you'll have way more fun with us than going to a place where fun goes to die...hyde park, as my friend would say..."bitch please"...

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Tue May 13, 2008 2:48 pm

no worries, i'll call in reinforcement:

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Tue May 13, 2008 2:48 pm

eeeeek!!!! I move to C-ville a month from tomorrow!!!!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Wahoo99

New

Post by Wahoo99 » Tue May 13, 2008 2:51 pm

gladiator wrote:If Chicago housing/food/living expenses are only going to be $2000 more/year, you must have found the bargain of the century or you're living in a real dump. I would imagine it has to be at least $4000 more/year to live anywhere decent and so close to the law school like your setup at UVa.

I agree with Gladiator.

Granted, I didn't apply to Chicago, because I knew I wouldn't want to go to school for three years there even if accepted (big congrats on being accepted, BTW!)

I have to think cost of living is going to be significantly steeper there. I'm very skeptical that you can pull it off (in a nice area) for only about $2k more per year.

Have you visited? Ken has posted multiple times about their law school, and how despite his interest in law/economics, he couldn't get past the fact that he ran into a lot of depressed, over-stressed students when he visited.

With all that said, if you KNOW you have a strong interest in an academic job, I think that alone would be enough to tip the scales for Chicago. But if you want a clerkship and then biglaw....well....UVA is going to give you the same opportunities, and you might as well go to C'ville and enjoy yourself for three years of law school.

Quality dilemma.

shadowfish

New

Post by shadowfish » Tue May 13, 2008 2:57 pm

I heard bad things about Hyde Park. Then again, I'm not sure how much people in Seattle know about neighborhoods in Chicago. I personally didn't apply to any urban schools because I thought that people wouldn't be as interested in hanging out as much (since there's so much else to do in the city/less need to rely on law school friends for social connections). That was just based on assumptions, though.
But yeah, that is a tough decision :| I admit that I love the quarter system. Though maybe you'd prefer semesters?

OldBlue

New

Post by OldBlue » Tue May 13, 2008 2:57 pm

Let's start with the grounds:

It's almost as if the law school decided "how can we create a building that perfectly captures our reputation as an oppressive, austere, cold, and lonely place?" Plus that picture is deceptive: somehow they found the one day when you could actually see blue sky, instead of dark clouds.

Now let's take a look at Virginia:

--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--

Those photos are from March 14. Even in the dead of winter, the law school is brimming with life. And imagine how it looks now, with the leaves on the trees.

Chicago is for introverted intellectuals. Virginia is for gregarious intellectuals.

Chicago does very well in teaching and clerkship placement, but Virginia can hold its own.
And only Virginia offers the most dedicated alumni base in the country.
And only Virginia offers the benefits of having a very strong reputation among big firms for producing lawyers who are social and interesting people - both fun to work with and capable of bringing in business.

Perhaps most importantly, almost everyone who goes to Virginia remembers it as perhaps the greatest time of their life.
I have no doubt that Chicagoans are happy with their career prospects, but I'm pretty sure they can't say that.

The extra money at Chicago is tempting, but I'd still say UVA, hands down. Plus, at least part of that money would have to go towards your heating bill in the winter. :)

Khordis

New

Post by Khordis » Tue May 13, 2008 2:59 pm

ubuntu, just google "where fun goes to die."

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=wh ... tnG=Search

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OldBlue

New

Post by OldBlue » Tue May 13, 2008 3:01 pm

btw Khordis, I'm sure you've heard this a lot, but it could be much worse.

--ImageRemoved--

ubuntu

Bronze

Post by ubuntu » Tue May 13, 2008 3:03 pm

Khordis wrote:ubuntu, just google "where fun goes to die."

:shock: :shock: :shock:

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Tue May 13, 2008 3:03 pm

ubuntu, check out the facebook pics i posted...shows some of the nice grounds of the law school even though it was t-storming...

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Tue May 13, 2008 3:04 pm

Khordis wrote:ubuntu, just google "where fun goes to die."

haha, see i wasn't exaggerating...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”