University of Virginia School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
rayallen20

New

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Post by rayallen20 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:36 pm

I wonder if I have some setting turned on that make my posts invisible to everybody else.

Edit: I talked to cantwait, she's doing fine.

CaptainDirtyBird

New

Post by CaptainDirtyBird » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:53 pm

rayallen20 wrote:I wonder if I have some setting turned on that make my posts invisible to everybody else.

I recognize you ray allen and I celebrate each and every post you make 8) Word.

rayallen20

New

Post by rayallen20 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:54 pm

Good to know.

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:58 pm

I saw those posts, rayallen.

That would be kind of a creepy post feature...you'd be like Bruce Willis' character in 6th Sense, mistakenly thinking that other people are reacting to your conversational contributions. In this case, however, you've realized it.

I TXT dead people.

tkm.

Bronze

Post by tkm. » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:02 pm

rayallen20 wrote:I wonder if I have some setting turned on that make my posts invisible to everybody else.

oh good, I was worried

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rayallen20

New

Post by rayallen20 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:03 pm

Well it was kind of the opposite of Bruce Willis. As in I answered someones question regarding opting out of UVA's health insurance (I Think J-Rod's, too lazy to look) providing basis and links. Then I proceeded to ask a question. This was met with no acknowledgment at all. This honestly led me to believe that my posts were invisible or something. Guess not.

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:50 pm

i read, recovering from vacation so was too lazy to respond:

but yea, seems you got everything in. i still need to run a physical middle of the month and then my health paperwork will be complete. like j-rod and cantwait i need to wait till mid july at the earliest to send in the transcript.

nipplehead

Bronze

Post by nipplehead » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:03 pm

I Set-up my UVA E-mail
I set-up my ISIS account
Setup LawWeb
how do we do all these things? is there a guide thing somewhere that i didn't read? (probably)

rayallen20

New

Post by rayallen20 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:07 pm

nipplehead wrote:
I Set-up my UVA E-mail
I set-up my ISIS account
Setup LawWeb
how do we do all these things? is there a guide thing somewhere that i didn't read? (probably)
If you go back a bunch of pages on this thread, you can find how to set-up your @virginia.edu email account. Once you have that set-up, you will receive e-mails in your new account advising you how to setup LawWeb, ISIS, etc.
Last edited by rayallen20 on Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rayallen20

New

Post by rayallen20 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:10 pm

greygoose wrote:i read, recovering from vacation so was too lazy to respond:

but yea, seems you got everything in. i still need to run a physical middle of the month and then my health paperwork will be complete. like j-rod and cantwait i need to wait till mid july at the earliest to send in the transcript.
Appreciate the response. In case you didn't know, UVA does not require a physical of any kind with the Pre-Entrance Health Record; they only need the required immunizations. Unless you want one for self-assurance, then it is not required as long as you have gotten those shots.

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:18 pm

SgtBilko wrote:I liked how "lower airfare" was specifically listed as a reason you may NOT change an exam....
I KNOW. I called, thinking there was a 1% chance that I could move it since I was calling in June and the exam is in... December. And I booked the ticket before I had settled on a law school. But nope.

Me: Well, I guess I'm out $800
UVA: Yeah, sorry, that sucks

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

I'm moving in August 2nd... who else will be there by then?

tkm.

Bronze

Post by tkm. » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:24 pm

I'll be there

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:31 pm

rayallen20 wrote:
greygoose wrote:i read, recovering from vacation so was too lazy to respond:

Appreciate the response. In case you didn't know, UVA does not require a physical of any kind with the Pre-Entrance Health Record; they only need the required immunizations. Unless you want one for self-assurance, then it is not required as long as you have gotten those shots.
yea, i just get a yearly physical. easier for the doctor to check my records and fill out the form for me.

sialeeds, i feel bad for you. one thing i particularly hate about air travel...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:14 pm

I'll be there, sialeeds, with the family. And the dog, apparently, since we can't find anyone who is willing to pet-sit for three years.

Here's a picture of me (with the goatee), my son, and my furry "child."
--ImageRemoved--

And I use the phrase "goatee" quite loosely.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:17 pm

OnceLost = Cavman

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:27 pm

sialeeds wrote:
SgtBilko wrote:I liked how "lower airfare" was specifically listed as a reason you may NOT change an exam....
I KNOW. I called, thinking there was a 1% chance that I could move it since I was calling in June and the exam is in... December. And I booked the ticket before I had settled on a law school. But nope.

I'm moving in August 2nd... who else will be there by then?

sucks about the airline tickets!

and Mike and I will be there in the Woodlands on Aug. 1 . . . nip will be there a few days later

CaptainDirtyBird

New

Post by CaptainDirtyBird » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:38 pm

[quote="sialeeds"]

[quote]

This is where those oh so important negotiating deals will become important with your professor. It's called a gentlemens/gentlewomens agreement - You simply have to convince your professor to let you sit the exam earlier than you otherwise would have.

Say perhaps if you were to arrange a sidetrip in Thialand (or a law firm somewhere your layed over) to speak with someone, anyone regarding a remotely good reason to miss an exam. That way you can say not only do you have a flight booked, you also have an appointment (cue puppy dog eyes).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bamabreeze

Bronze

Post by bamabreeze » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:57 pm

rayallen20 wrote:
nipplehead wrote:
I Set-up my UVA E-mail
I set-up my ISIS account
Setup LawWeb
If you go back a bunch of pages on this thread, you can find how to set-up your @virginia.edu email account. Once you have that set-up, you will receive e-mails in your new account advising you how to setup LawWeb, ISIS, etc.
Yeah, I second your concerns about missing something, rayallen and nip - this is where a centralized timeline/checklist of "absolutely everything you must do before you enroll" would be way helpful!!! I keep thinking that I'll forget something!

But as far as I know, you have done everything I think we need to do!

Annnnd August 9th

satchelGD

New

Post by satchelGD » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:01 pm

ill be heading up the first week of august, anyone wanna go see pineapple express the weekend it comes out?

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:36 pm

CaptainDirtyBird wrote:This is where those oh so important negotiating deals will become important with your professor. It's called a gentlemens/gentlewomens agreement - You simply have to convince your professor to let you sit the exam earlier than you otherwise would have.

Say perhaps if you were to arrange a sidetrip in Thialand (or a law firm somewhere your layed over) to speak with someone, anyone regarding a remotely good reason to miss an exam. That way you can say not only do you have a flight booked, you also have an appointment (cue puppy dog eyes).
Here's the minor hiccup: "exceptions may not be granted by individual faculty members." But I like your line of thinking.

The fact that they have such a long list of reasons why exams can't be rescheduled leads me to believe that a lot of people try this. If so, why can't they just make one nice, friendly, early makeup day? :cry: At least the flight, with the $200 increase and $200 penalty (for changing the date) is still cheaper than it would usually be... I just feel bad making my boyfriend lose $400, too. But then again it was his fault for pressuring me to book before I got my exam schedule!!!!

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:39 pm

My guess is that they take cheating and anonymous grading very seriously which makes it impossible to have alternate date exams. Because if you take the same test on a different day then you could cheat (either giving the questions to later test takers or get the questions from earlier test takers) and if you take a different test on a different day then the professor will know it's your exam when (s)he grades it. Beyond that they just don't feel like being hit with so many requests since it's a slippery slope once you start accepting certain excuses that aren't life and death.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CaptainDirtyBird

New

Post by CaptainDirtyBird » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:53 pm

That slightly irks me. If you going to a school with such a strict honor code (plagerism = expulsion) I feel that would allow us to have a great deal more leeway.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:01 pm

CaptainDirtyBird wrote:That slightly irks me. If you going to a school with such a strict honor code (plagerism = expulsion) I feel that would allow us to have a great deal more leeway.
The honor code is supposed to apply to everything you do as a student yet most (undergrad, not sure about law) professors require to sign an honor pledge on every paper and exam anyway so go figure.

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:30 pm

just to make sure: in regards to tuition payment/statement, we check for the bill on 7/18 via the ISIS/quikuva thing?

CaptainDirtyBird

New

Post by CaptainDirtyBird » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:41 pm

gladiator wrote:
CaptainDirtyBird wrote:That slightly irks me. If you going to a school with such a strict honor code (plagerism = expulsion) I feel that would allow us to have a great deal more leeway.
The honor code is supposed to apply to everything you do as a student yet most (undergrad, not sure about law) professors require to sign an honor pledge on every paper and exam anyway so go figure.
Exactly. I feel like UVA and I have a lack of trust in our relationship. Shouldn't we not have to obsess about when and where each of us is at all times? Why isn't love enough?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”