University of Virginia School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
ubuntu

Bronze

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Post by ubuntu » Thu May 15, 2008 4:40 pm

wesleybs wrote:The bundles are now up for the cavalier computers. Just Dells and a Mac, no Thinkpads :-(. I'll probably go with the mac just because I hate dell.
mmmmm black macbook = sexy!

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Thu May 15, 2008 4:48 pm

Don't quite know why, but our MacBook bundle is $250 cheaper than the UG bundle of what appears to be the same thing. WOOT!!!

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Thu May 15, 2008 4:53 pm

CaptainDirtyBird wrote:
2. Cantwait - Sounds like your going to be up for some dinner parties. Are you white? B/c us white people love dinner parties. It's okay if your not, because the only thing better than a dinner party is a dinner party with diversity. In All Seriousness though, I too love to cook, so it sounds like its up to us to prevent a TLS famine.
Haha. Yes, I'm white (and a little Asian) and I love dinner parties. Not in a snooty way - I just love them because I like to cook for people. And yes, we should throw some dinner parties for our TLSers.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Thu May 15, 2008 4:58 pm

SgtBilko wrote:
It's a pretty accepted fact that the MacBook will be updated in June and I'm wondering if we'll be getting that update. I can wait to order regardless since the earliest we could get it is July or so. I just hope we're getting the goods so to speak in the end.
Why is july the earliest?

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Thu May 15, 2008 4:59 pm

triadolpho wrote:
I'm decent at cooking, but would like to get better. On a side note, did anyone see Top Chef last night? I unfortunately missed it.
Yay, another someone to cook with. I saw Top Chef. It was great - there was some major back talking to Tom and he was having none of it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Thu May 15, 2008 5:00 pm

I guess for me. Might be a pain to deal with their "training" in June though.

--LinkRemoved--

But the update is why I wouldn't really be in a hurry.

wesleybs

New

Post by wesleybs » Thu May 15, 2008 5:51 pm

Might be a pain to deal with their "training" in June though.
Does anyone else find the information about the early pickup and the configuration setup confusing?

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Thu May 15, 2008 6:30 pm

did anyone else notice how the MacBook bundle is an awesome price! and the dell bundles are a HUGE ripoff?

vvv4

New

Post by vvv4 » Thu May 15, 2008 6:33 pm

SgtBilko wrote:I guess for me. Might be a pain to deal with their "training" in June though.

--LinkRemoved--

But the update is why I wouldn't really be in a hurry.
Whatever you do when you come to UVa, do NOT buy anything at all from Cavalier Comp if you can help it. Find a good sale at a site like techbargains.com. Every friend of mine that has had a Cavalier Computer notebook in undergrad has had some sort of stupid problem with it, and the people who troubleshoot it are generally clueless or unhelpful. I happily am doing fine with my cheap laptop and desktop, which combined cost less than an overpriced Cavalier Comp notebook with close to the same specifications.
Last edited by vvv4 on Thu May 15, 2008 6:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shadowfish

New

Post by shadowfish » Thu May 15, 2008 6:33 pm

Yeah, I thought the Dells sounded expensive. I know very little about laptops, though. I kind of want a Tablet PC, but I'm wondering if I'll kick myself when my computer breaks down the week before exams.

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Thu May 15, 2008 7:11 pm

I got the snail mail letter today, so apparently the "you're in off the wait-list" email wasn't an administrative error...that's a relief.

I've used a Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop for about 3 years now and been pretty happy with it. Of course, you have to use a de-crapifier to get all the junk off of it, but it's a solid machine. It's just starting to stagger, and a 3 year haul is pretty good machine running XP. I think I'm going to re-format it and reload everything to use as a back-up laptop.

I used Dell's "Customize" feature to make as close a comparison to Cavalier Computer's price for a Dell Latitude D830 ($2079) as I could and I stopped when they were within $50 of each other...and I didn't get to the part where you add software on the Dell site. The price seems high to me (but I'm a cheap bastard; my laptop was around $400), but it doesn't seem out of whack with what you'd get directly from Dell.

I'd always suggest looking at Tigerdirect.com and Newegg.com, though. I've bought components for several computers there (including the parts for my last two desktops, which I built) and I've been very satisfied overall.

breanne2011

New

Post by breanne2011 » Thu May 15, 2008 7:34 pm

shadowfish wrote: Man, I'm going to end up bringing my N64 to Cville as well.
DOOO ITT

I'm hoping I'll have a Wii before I move...but I'm waiting until I get my economic stimulus package. Thanks, confused economic advisors!

MissVirginia

Bronze

Post by MissVirginia » Thu May 15, 2008 7:35 pm

:|
Last edited by MissVirginia on Sun May 18, 2008 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Thu May 15, 2008 7:40 pm

Okay, I did a more thorough comparison of the Dell 830 bundle from Cavalier and the same setup customized on the Dell website. I was wrong about the price from Cavalier, incidentally, because it's $1,899 (--LinkRemoved--). The same setup (not including some peripherals and the UVa software) directly from Dell is $2,593. Total savings of $694, although I believe Cavalier charges sales tax while Dell doesn't.

vvv4

New

Post by vvv4 » Thu May 15, 2008 7:55 pm

OnceLost wrote:Okay, I did a more thorough comparison of the Dell 830 bundle from Cavalier and the same setup customized on the Dell website. I was wrong about the price from Cavalier, incidentally, because it's $1,899 (--LinkRemoved--). The same setup (not including some peripherals and the UVa software) directly from Dell is $2,593. Total savings of $694, although I believe Cavalier charges sales tax while Dell doesn't.
The thing is that Dell (or other competitors) will have very good sales on occasion which make the cost far cheaper than the static price of a Cavalier Computer. Sites like techbargains centralize all those random sales and deals going on to help you choose out a good computer for much less. And you wouldn't even need to necessarily have the specs or software that they would put on there, so you're just paying extra for whatever useless Microsoft Office programs are out there when you only need a basic MSOffice package that includes Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. The fact that Cavalier Comp doesn't even offer anything else other than two models is a problem as well. You can't even reduce the unnecessary 3 year warranty to make the cost cheaper (1 year warranties are the best, that's the most highly likely time that something will be wrong with your notebook), 160 GB harddrive, 2 GB of RAM, and Microsoft Vista (ick).

If you want to have the exact same computer they're offering, then, yes, you probably won't be able to find a sale that matches up exactly like that so what CC is offering is indeed cheaper. However, if you don't want to spend the extra money on a 160GB harddrive when you're fine with an 80GB harddrive then CC is of course much more expensive. And there will definitely be some sort of sale this summer which offers some sort of computer that fits your needs for a very good price as long as you look through sites like techbargains.
Last edited by vvv4 on Thu May 15, 2008 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Thu May 15, 2008 7:59 pm

the bundles are convenient (at least on paper); however, you can find similarly configured computers at a fraction of the price. if you're paying over 1200 for a computer with those specs, you're over spending (in reference to the dell(s)). the warranty is nice, but personally, i'd rather buy two computers (1K - top of the line specs) over the next 3 years, than spend it all on one system.

rsr28

New

Post by rsr28 » Thu May 15, 2008 8:37 pm

With all the talk of video games -- I have an XBox 360 that I don't use and someone might be able to have if they wanted it. Would anyone be interested? Not really looking to sell it I don't think, I'd just be happy to give it to someone who will put it to use. :-)

Oh, I'm totally down with flag football. I don't have breakaway speed but I'm quick and sure-handed underneath. I'm a ball-hawker at safety, too.

Hey while we're throwing ideas out there... anyone play soccer??

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Thu May 15, 2008 8:38 pm

ok people . . . more graduation partying tonight!! i'll see ya on TLS tomorrow sometime!

. . . some of you need to get out and start partying or you're gonna make me feel like an alcoholic!

OldBlue

New

Post by OldBlue » Thu May 15, 2008 10:07 pm

haha cantwait while I was writing about the loft I was thinking about how awesome a pillow-and-blanket fort would be... something like what peter griffin made in the first class cabin while Lois was a flight attendant (family guy, anyone?).

and damn, two wiis in one apartment! we're going to have some crazy wii parties. I call Pit and or Donkey in Smash.. good lord King Dedede is awful. Flag football sounds awesome (me=pretty good receiver). though it could be tough fitting it into the demanding softball schedule. we also need to get a group together for birdwood, the university's golf course... $12 for 18 holes!

and yes, black macbook=ridiculously sexy.

Alright i'm ready to call it. UVA Class of 2011=GREATEST LAW SCHOOL CLASS EVER!!

congrats to everyone who just graduated

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Thu May 15, 2008 10:57 pm

I'm confused about the computer bundles. It seems like a good idea because of the replacement policy (I'm sure we've all heard the horror stories) and it would come with all of the stuff I need for UVA, so that's convenient. I'm just not crazy about the selection. I really wanted a small laptop that would be easy to bring to and from class. Not sure what to do.

On another note - I have THREE ceremonies to attend for graduation (fri, sat, and sun morning) - that is ridiculously excessive and I wish I could skip them all.

hokiefan

New

Post by hokiefan » Thu May 15, 2008 11:01 pm

I haven't played golf this year but I'd be down for hitting up the links. Anyone play tennis?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Fri May 16, 2008 12:01 am

rsr28 wrote:With all the talk of video games -- I have an XBox 360 that I don't use and someone might be able to have if they wanted it. Would anyone be interested? Not really looking to sell it I don't think, I'd just be happy to give it to someone who will put it to use. :-)

Oh, I'm totally down with flag football. I don't have breakaway speed but I'm quick and sure-handed underneath. I'm a ball-hawker at safety, too.

Hey while we're throwing ideas out there... anyone play soccer??
Umm...I'd be happy to take an XBox360 for free.

wesleybs

New

Post by wesleybs » Fri May 16, 2008 12:32 am

I'll have a 360, original xbox, wii, dreamcast, and super Nintendo.

I'm wanting to learn how to play golf. I guess that won't help for the tournament, but I would love to go out and play some.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/W ... rtifiedMac

I might buy a refurbished mac. Saves a good bit of money.

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Fri May 16, 2008 7:19 am

I should have noted in that comparison that I think the 830 is overpowered. According to the computing thread on the admitted students forum, it looks like you only need MS Office...or Open Office, for that matter. I've seen other manufacturers with student discounts on occasion, so that's something else to consider. I can't see spending $2,000 for a laptop that isn't Alienware or something equally ridiculous, but as noted above, I'm a cheap bastard.

rayallen20

New

Post by rayallen20 » Fri May 16, 2008 9:03 am

Alright guys, I'm leaving for our senior trip to Foxwoods for the day. Wish me luck!!! I'll be playing 200 Max NL Hold'em so I could go broke pretty fast.......

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”