University of Virginia School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
cantwaitforuva

Silver

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Post by cantwaitforuva » Sun May 25, 2008 2:00 pm

Has anyone read The Omnivore's Dilemma? We're only an hour from Polyface Farm and I was thinking about going out there for a day this summer to check it out. Anyone interested? They sell their products (I'm especially excited about the chicken) at some of the local stores. I have no idea how I'm going to keep my grocery shopping in line with the budget they give us!

hokiefan

New

Post by hokiefan » Sun May 25, 2008 2:18 pm

MissVirginia wrote: It was still a nice ceremony in the gym, but on the Law Lawn it's just remarkable. Keep your fingers crossed for sunny skies on May 22, 2011!
I'll turn 25 on the day that I graduate.

rsr28

New

Post by rsr28 » Sun May 25, 2008 3:14 pm

hokiefan wrote:
MissVirginia wrote: It was still a nice ceremony in the gym, but on the Law Lawn it's just remarkable. Keep your fingers crossed for sunny skies on May 22, 2011!
I'll turn 25 on the day that I graduate.
No way to celebrate like a nice, umm... car insurance discount?

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Sun May 25, 2008 3:15 pm

I think I found a pub that shows Six Nations if anybody wants to join me in February for some drinking and watching sports!!! Between Six Nations and Feb Club I won't be sober for at least a month.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Sun May 25, 2008 3:20 pm

cantwaitforuva wrote:Has anyone read The Omnivore's Dilemma? We're only an hour from Polyface Farm and I was thinking about going out there for a day this summer to check it out. Anyone interested? They sell their products (I'm especially excited about the chicken) at some of the local stores. I have no idea how I'm going to keep my grocery shopping in line with the budget they give us!
According to the UVA budget . . . after rent/utilities I'm going to have $775 a month to spend, that's not too bad of a budget, certainly doable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Sun May 25, 2008 3:29 pm

J-Rod wrote:
cantwaitforuva wrote:Has anyone read The Omnivore's Dilemma? We're only an hour from Polyface Farm and I was thinking about going out there for a day this summer to check it out. Anyone interested? They sell their products (I'm especially excited about the chicken) at some of the local stores. I have no idea how I'm going to keep my grocery shopping in line with the budget they give us!
According to the UVA budget . . . after rent/utilities I'm going to have $775 a month to spend, that's not too bad of a budget, certainly doable.
That's pretty amazing. The budget won't cover my expenses for the month. Once you throw in car payments, gas, and car insurance my UVA budget is gone.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Sun May 25, 2008 4:22 pm

cantwaitforuva wrote:
J-Rod wrote:
That's pretty amazing. The budget won't cover my expenses for the month. Once you throw in car payments, gas, and car insurance my UVA budget is gone.

ahh, yeah, those would be killers. My car is paid off, and my insurance is only $50/mo for full coverage! no idea how, but it is.
Food will be my killer, I eat probably $100/week for food

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Sun May 25, 2008 4:32 pm

J-Rod wrote: ahh, yeah, those would be killers. My car is paid off, and my insurance is only $50/mo for full coverage! no idea how, but it is.
I'm buying a car next month, so I'll have those fun monthly payments.

What insurance company do you have because that's crazy!?!?!

I also spend a lot on food - luckily my parents help out a little with food (basic groceries), but if I want nicer food (and I usually do), then I have to buy it myself.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Sun May 25, 2008 4:42 pm

cantwaitforuva wrote:
J-Rod wrote: ahh, yeah, those would be killers. My car is paid off, and my insurance is only $50/mo for full coverage! no idea how, but it is.
I'm buying a car next month, so I'll have those fun monthly payments.

What insurance company do you have because that's crazy!?!?!

I also spend a lot on food - luckily my parents help out a little with food (basic groceries), but if I want nicer food (and I usually do), then I have to buy it myself.

What car are you buying? And I have liberty mutual

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

readinmonotone

New

Post by readinmonotone » Sun May 25, 2008 4:48 pm

I don't need 775 dollars a month after rent/utilities at all. Maybe I shouldn't take out the full monty, then. Or live in a mansion.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Sun May 25, 2008 5:12 pm

J-Rod wrote:

Not sure yet. Probably a Honda or Toyota. The problem is leasing would have a lower monthly payment than buying, but I'd rather own the car.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Sun May 25, 2008 5:16 pm

readinmonotone wrote:I don't need 775 dollars a month after rent/utilities at all. Maybe I shouldn't take out the full monty, then. Or live in a mansion.
I would still take it out. Since we don't know what will happen next summer, it would be good to have a bit saved in case we don't get the 1L firm jobs of our dreams. :D Also, there will be a lot of extra costs at first that that can offset (security deposits, buying furniture, etc).

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Sun May 25, 2008 9:02 pm

cantwaitforuva wrote:
J-Rod wrote:

Not sure yet. Probably a Honda or Toyota. The problem is leasing would have a lower monthly payment than buying, but I'd rather own the car.

I need model names woman!! haha, j/k! I'm somewhat of an expert, and I work at a Honda dealership, so if ya have any questions just shoot me a PM, I love cars

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Sun May 25, 2008 9:12 pm

I want a new car :( My family did a car trade last year where I got my grandmother's old 2000 Cadillac Catera (she got a Cadillac CTS), and my cousin got my 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee :( :( :( I miss my Jeep, it's what I learned to drive in, and I loved how there are NO blind spots in that car. But the Cady had half the miles on it... so it was a good idea, but I'm still sad. I want a Jeep Liberty, but I think I need to suck it up and drive this car for three more years (despite the fact that I keep taking it into the dealer for random crap) and buy a nice new car when I start my first real job.

Cantwait -- with the way gas prices are, go for a hybrid. Also, leasing might not be a bad option -- you always have the option to buy, and then the money you paid goes towards it. If you end up hating the car, you're not stuck with it.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Sun May 25, 2008 9:31 pm

sialeeds wrote:
Cantwait -- with the way gas prices are, go for a hybrid. Also, leasing might not be a bad option -- you always have the option to buy, and then the money you paid goes towards it. If you end up hating the car, you're not stuck with it.
Yeah, I'd like to go with a hybrid if I can swing it money-wise (can't if I buy, could if I lease). I'm leaning toward leasing now, because I would have that option later on to buy, and it would lower my payments for my poor law school years.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Sun May 25, 2008 9:33 pm

sialeeds wrote:I want a new car :( My family did a car trade last year where I got my grandmother's old 2000 Cadillac Catera (she got a Cadillac CTS), and my cousin got my 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee :( :( :( I miss my Jeep, it's what I learned to drive in, and I loved how there are NO blind spots in that car. But the Cady had half the miles on it... so it was a good idea, but I'm still sad. I want a Jeep Liberty, but I think I need to suck it up and drive this car for three more years (despite the fact that I keep taking it into the dealer for random crap) and buy a nice new car when I start my first real job.

Sia - gas prices would whoop your ass in that Jeep these days! the new liberty's get terrible gas mileage too, you should drop that Catera on some DUBS and roll gangsta, haha

Cantwait -- I'd go for a new Civic or Fit. Both are nice, comfortable, get great gas mileage, cheap, plenty of room, and look good too. I own a Honda, but it gets terrible gas mileage and pollutes the environment quite badly . . . so you should do as I say, not as I do, haha! Honda's are also extremely reliable.
Last edited by J-Rod on Sun May 25, 2008 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Sun May 25, 2008 9:35 pm

Also, another random fact about Hybrids that is going to burst Al Gore's bubble . . .

When you factor in the pollution created in the manufacturing of the vehicle, it is better to own an SUV and drive it 10,000 miles a year, than to purchase a Hybrid, because of the methods used to make the Hybrids are extremely poor

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Sun May 25, 2008 9:53 pm

J-Rod wrote:Also, another random fact about Hybrids that is going to burst Al Gore's bubble . . .

When you factor in the pollution created in the manufacturing of the vehicle, it is better to own an SUV and drive it 10,000 miles a year, than to purchase a Hybrid, because of the methods used to make the Hybrids are extremely poor
Well hybrids seduce me for the high gas mileage more than for the less-pollution argument.

bamabreeze

Bronze

Post by bamabreeze » Sun May 25, 2008 10:42 pm

Last edited by bamabreeze on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rsr28

New

Post by rsr28 » Sun May 25, 2008 11:11 pm

J-Rod wrote:Also, another random fact about Hybrids that is going to burst Al Gore's bubble . . .

Except for the fact that we can, in the foreseeable future, deal with ways to significantly change, reduce, and eliminate the entirety of point-source pollution. We cannot, however, in the foreseeable future, without the extensive development and use of electric and hybrid technology, change the pollution generated by non-point sources.

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Sun May 25, 2008 11:40 pm

Bamabreeze, that's my dream car too :o We can ruin the environment together.

My Catera costs the same as my Jeep to fill up because it takes supreme gas. Blehhhhhhh. Thank god for my Mobil/Exxon speedpass that goes straight to my mom!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Mon May 26, 2008 12:39 am

you shouldn't get the LR3, get the range rover sport that is supercharged! w00t w00t! here is a video to convince you why

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvDXv-IX ... re=related

bamabreeze

Bronze

Post by bamabreeze » Mon May 26, 2008 2:01 am

Last edited by bamabreeze on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Mon May 26, 2008 2:03 am

bamabreeze wrote:Haha wellll the video IS fantastic! Thank you J-Rod! - I just bookmarked it because it's amazing! Yeah, so those are exactly the (unnecessary) off-roading capabilities I love!!! Just in case one day I have the chance to, you know, drive around in my suburban backyard. But, the LR3 is still my favorite, mainly because of the styling (asymmetrical tailgate, massive sunroof), and because the Range Rover is even more ridiculously expensive, with really really unnecessary features. I think I'll save the extra $30k for a boat or something legitimate for the LR3 to tow!
pffft, put a snorkel on that Range Rover and you won't need a boat!

bamabreeze

Bronze

Post by bamabreeze » Mon May 26, 2008 3:24 am

Oh my goodness, J-Rod, look what you started, it is like 3 am and here I am watching more of this crazy man's videos on YouTube!!! But he is hilarious, so it is sort of okay...

Here is another good one: Range Rover vs. Cadillac Escalahhhde vs. Hummer H2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06jmReDe ... re=related

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”