University of Virginia School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
greygoose

Bronze

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Post by greygoose » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:15 am

okokokok wrote:Hey Hoos, I just got my LSAT score and my goal is to go to UVA. I retook the LSAT and got a 159 the first time and the 170 the second time. My GPA is 3.87 and I went to a pretty good school for undergrad. I'm also a VA resident and my father did his undergrad at UVA. My other soft factors are pretty good, but nothing outstanding. Could you all give me any input about my chances???

Also, in my circumstances I think I should consider binding early admission -- do you all think it would significantly raise my chances for admission?

Thanks and congrats on going to a great school!

you're a lock at uva via regular decision, just don't do something weird with the PS or have terrible LORs. if uva is really your top choice, hit it with ED and you'll still have a solid chance at a scholarship (from experience). you could do the matching/negotiating of scholarships with similar top 10 schools. something i want to emphasize, ED acceptance really takes a ton of pressure/stress off. i knew where i was going by the 1st/2nd week of december. knowing where i'd be and the amazing opportunities i'd have, really made my christmas/new years fantastic. i knew going to uva would make me incredibly happy and i wouldn't hesitate doing ED if i had to do it again.

best of luck and i hope you're a cav/wahoo next fall.

ubuntu

Bronze

Post by ubuntu » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:50 pm

hey all! i haven't been around in awhile, but i just wanted to pop in and say bye for now! i'm leaving for buenos aires tomorrow!!! SO EXCITED. i'll be back on august 3. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

i hope you all have a wonderful, relaxing month of july!

Hoo09

New

Post by Hoo09 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:21 am

Hi all! I am new here, but I've lurked for a bit. I have a question and hopefully you won't mind. Is anyone where a Double 'Hoo? If so, do you think that helped you at all? I am graduating from UVa in 09 and would like to go to UVa law, but my LSAT is not so hot. Trying to decide if I have to take it again or not. I also don't know how my GPA compares since it's coming from UVa. I have a lot of "soft" application factors, but I'm not sure they're enough. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thank you, Congrats, and welcome to UVa! :)

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:20 am

Double Hoos = Half Hokies.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:46 am

Hoo09 wrote:Hi all! I am new here, but I've lurked for a bit. I have a question and hopefully you won't mind. Is anyone where a Double 'Hoo? If so, do you think that helped you at all? I am graduating from UVa in 09 and would like to go to UVa law, but my LSAT is not so hot. Trying to decide if I have to take it again or not. I also don't know how my GPA compares since it's coming from UVa. I have a lot of "soft" application factors, but I'm not sure they're enough. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thank you, Congrats, and welcome to UVa! :)
I am but I'm not sure how much it helped me. I would go forward with the assumption that it won't help you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:55 am

your current uva status won't help; however, if you are in-state that's the key. i am fairly certain that the consensus is that in-staters have a better chance of admissions versus out-of-staters. 40% of the uva class comes from virginia. this is purely speculation, but if you have an lsat score in the mid 160s and a gpa greater than 3.8, you stand a decent chance of admissions.

MissVirginia

Bronze

Post by MissVirginia » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:19 am

greygoose wrote:your current uva status won't help; however, if you are in-state that's the key. i am fairly certain that the consensus is that in-staters have a better chance of admissions versus out-of-staters. 40% of the uva class comes from virginia. this is purely speculation, but if you have an lsat score in the mid 160s and a gpa greater than 3.8, you stand a decent chance of admissions.
Apparently low160's and a 3.8 in-state and you've got a decent chance of admission as well; mid-150s if you are a URM.

UVA status might help, some? I doubt it is a particularly large edge, but UVA considers itself the finest school in the state, perhaps along with William & Mary, and I imagine it is a soft, but small, plus- all other things considered, just as prestige of university is thought to be subtly considered at other top law schools. Then again I've heard of other schools preferring to diversify their class by not giving preference to their own alums, so I guess that could be at work at well. Who knows.

The biggest advantage you've got as a UVA student is proximity- you can walk on over and meet with the admissions staff, take tours, go to more than one open house, sit on classes, etc. I'm not sure about the value of being a UVA student in admissions, but I do know the value of face-time with adcoms can be enormous. Take advantage of that while you are close.

doublehoo22

New

Post by doublehoo22 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:29 am

So what is everyone doing to relax before law school starts? I have gone to the beach for a weekend and will be flying out to the Midwest later this month for a weekend (not really a vacation trip though). I would like to take a good week or so off from work and away from town to relax. I want to go to California, Hawaii, Florida, or the Southwest (Arizona or Vegas) but am having a difficult time finding friends to go with (who now have jobs). I will probably send out an e-mail to dozens of friends and see who comes up.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:43 am

doublehoo22 wrote:So what is everyone doing to relax before law school starts? I have gone to the beach for a weekend and will be flying out to the Midwest later this month for a weekend (not really a vacation trip though). I would like to take a good week or so off from work and away from town to relax. I want to go to California, Hawaii, Florida, or the Southwest (Arizona or Vegas) but am having a difficult time finding friends to go with (who now have jobs). I will probably send out an e-mail to dozens of friends and see who comes up.

I've been working on cars all summer at a car dealership . . . but on the weekends I've gone wake boarding, swimming, etc. No trips for me, but meh . . . And where are you going in the midwest?

Edit: As for my move . . . I got a quote from just outside Chicago to C'Ville using PODS for $2250! U-Pack was $1440 for the exact same service, so I went with them. U-Haul was going to be about the same with gas, maybe $100 cheaper, but I'd have to find someone to drive my car so I could drive the UHaul

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:31 pm

You can tow a car behind a U-haul with either the front wheels or all four wheels suspended - we're doing it for our Subaru with a Budget rental. Speaking of which...relax? We're trying to move, there is no relax!

doublehoo22

New

Post by doublehoo22 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:48 pm

I am heading to Chicago the last weekend of July.

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:52 pm

doublehoo22 wrote:So what is everyone doing to relax before law school starts? I have gone to the beach for a weekend and will be flying out to the Midwest later this month for a weekend (not really a vacation trip though). I would like to take a good week or so off from work and away from town to relax. I want to go to California, Hawaii, Florida, or the Southwest (Arizona or Vegas) but am having a difficult time finding friends to go with (who now have jobs). I will probably send out an e-mail to dozens of friends and see who comes up.
i finished up all my vacations for the year. i definitely traveled more than ever. right now it's trying to finish "getting to maybe" *yawn :? starting to pack some stuff for moving time and watching a plethora of movies. i'm trying to catch up on some movies i neglected to view over the past five years. this includes pixar classics, will smith box office smashes and assorted terrible movies that had cool trailers.
J-Rod wrote:

I've been working on cars all summer at a car dealership . . . but on the weekends I've gone wake boarding, swimming, etc. No trips for me, but meh . . . And where are you going in the midwest?

Edit: As for my move . . . I got a quote from just outside Chicago to C'Ville using PODS for $2250! U-Pack was $1440 for the exact same service, so I went with them. U-Haul was going to be about the same with gas, maybe $100 cheaper, but I'd have to find someone to drive my car so I could drive the UHaul
damn J-rod, you paying all that to move your stuff? would it be cheaper to toss it all and re-buy it new at c'ville? i looked into u-haul and realized i'm better off buying the cheapest furniture, etc. come august. i don't mind driving your s2000 in the fall :D

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:56 pm

I'm mailing everything I own. :shock:

Not that you haters care! HATERS!

When is the first cook-out in August? I'm so down.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:37 pm

aguyingeorgia wrote:I'm mailing everything I own. :shock:

Not that you haters care! HATERS!

When is the first cook-out in August? I'm so down.

pfft . . . haters? please . . . and I'm not sure that TRAITORS are welcome at our first cookout . . . unless of course you bring booze, then you're more than welcome, I'm sure we'd have a couch for ya

And I'll miss you double hoo . . . I'm moving from Chicago to VA the weekend before that

doublehoo22

New

Post by doublehoo22 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:50 pm

J-Rod - you have any ideas on the best (and safest) places to go at night downtown?

MochaLaw

New

Post by MochaLaw » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:57 pm

MissVirginia wrote:
MochaLaw wrote:Call me weird, but I'll take fruits and veggies over alcohol any day x1000000000.
Why choose when one can have both? Bloody Mary, Appletini, Mango Margarita, Mimosa, Peach Daiquiri = Fruits & Vegetables.
Purple's a fruit.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:29 pm

doublehoo22 wrote:J-Rod - you have any ideas on the best (and safest) places to go at night downtown?

Corner of Rush and Division has a ton of bars, and is on the north side, and safe. Also, there is Weed. St., has a few good bars and clubs.

Anywhere from the park all the way up the Magnificent Mile is safe as well

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

doublehoo22

New

Post by doublehoo22 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:55 am

J-Rod wrote:
doublehoo22 wrote:J-Rod - you have any ideas on the best (and safest) places to go at night downtown?

Corner of Rush and Division has a ton of bars, and is on the north side, and safe. Also, there is Weed. St., has a few good bars and clubs.

Anywhere from the park all the way up the Magnificent Mile is safe as well
Thanks a lot

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:04 pm

i got bored and decided to mess around with random officer titles for the uva facebook group. hit me with any witty titles you want or i'll make corny ones...

philosophy

New

Post by philosophy » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:07 pm

i'm applying in the fall and uva is my top choice. did any of you apply ED? if so, did that affect your scholarship offers? i'd like to get as much money, if any, as i can.

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:14 pm

Can I be the "Senior Assistant Deputy Undersecretary to the Apprentice Lord High Mucky-Muck," greygoose? You can tell I've worked in government for too long when titles that take up two or three lines on a business card seem normal.

"Token Married Guy w/ Kids" also works.

Philosophy, I have yet to see anyone hoping to get less money than possible. If you're a lock for UVa, the general consensus here seems to involve applying to several comparable schools so you have some bargaining power when you're trying to arrange a couple extra scholarship $$. Either way, I'd suggest you apply as early as you can because scholarship money seems to go pretty fast.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

philosophy

New

Post by philosophy » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:44 pm

oncelost: got it. thanks. i'll be getting my app in as soon as i can.

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:53 pm

Thanks for the officer title, greygoose... =P

nipplehead

Bronze

Post by nipplehead » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:45 pm

is OnceLost the "token married guy with kids?" because that's definitely my favorite title

"single and ready to mingle" for my skank of a roommate is good too

and i'm quite proud to be the "patrick willis aficionado"

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:36 pm

I'm afraid not, nipplehead. My suggestion appears to have gone to another TMGwK. That's cool, though, 'cause we're like a gang...except without kick-ins and organized crime.

Greygoose, I appreciate the title! Unfortunately, my request appears to be too long to be viewable on Facebook...will you allow me to change my title to Captain, Jonestown Drinking Club? Thanks, you're a mensch!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”