U. of Michigan Law School '11

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
stotan

Re: U. of Michigan Law School '11

Postby stotan » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:14 pm

I ate at both Zingerman's and Blimpie Burger. Zingermans ended up costing me ~17 bucks, but was delicious. Every bit as good as advertised, and totally worth it as an occasional treat.

Blimpie Burger wasn't cheap, I had a quad with fries and a soda for ~10 bucks, but it was incredible. Greasy and delicious.

I also enjoyed NYPD at around 2 am on Friday night, and was totally satisfied with the pizza.

Lothar

Postby Lothar » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:17 pm

Thank you all for the food comments/suggestions so far.

So what is it about midwest burritos compared to CA/southwest? Blandness? Missing some key components? Key components suck?

And is there a type of Midwest food that makes up for it? I'm guessing better pizza? Better hot dogs?

How important these questions are to me.

-Lothar

viv

Postby viv » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:28 pm

Lothar wrote:And is there a type of Midwest food that makes up for it? I'm guessing better pizza? Better hot dogs?
you can haz cheezburger!

Sorry. :) But seriously, burgers tend to be very good quality in the Midwest. I don't know about Ann Arbor specifically though.

Lothar

Postby Lothar » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 pm

viv wrote:
Lothar wrote:And is there a type of Midwest food that makes up for it? I'm guessing better pizza? Better hot dogs?
you can haz cheezburger!

Sorry. :) But seriously, burgers tend to be very good quality in the Midwest. I don't know about Ann Arbor specifically though.

go midwestern burgers! yes, hopefully Ann Arbor carries on the midwestern burger tradition.

-Lothar
Last edited by Lothar on Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lotus

Postby lotus » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:07 pm

I have decided to join all of you in Michigan in the Fall.

Lothar

Postby Lothar » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:10 pm

YAY lotus! See you in the fall!

How is your hand? I hope it's better.

We should have a TLS meet up again right before/during orientation in August. Zingermans again? or maybe somewhere else.

-Lothar

lotus

Postby lotus » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:21 pm

My hand is doing surprisingly well, considering how much I abused it. I'm not allowed to use it for any real work and I don't have the full range of motion back yet, but other than that it's perfectly functional.

Can someone in the know perhaps PM me the facebook group?

stotan

Postby stotan » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:50 pm

is the FB group still michigan network only?

lazyboy

Postby lazyboy » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:27 pm

put me down for the fall start. i was holding back because i really am not going to enjoy winter (i lived 21 out of 26 years in MN and WI) but everything else is about perfect and i just got a small scholarship offer. i hope that you all still accept me even after you find out about my habit of choosing a team to root for (among the gophers/badgers/wolverines) based on which one will probably have the best season.

Ulfrekr

Postby Ulfrekr » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:18 pm

Well, I went ahead and made it official today- GO BLUE! See you guys in the fall!

Lothar

Postby Lothar » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:25 pm

WOOHOO! Go Ulfrekr! See you in the fall!

-Lothar

SizeMatters

Postby SizeMatters » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:03 pm

Yo. Does anyone know when we find out our schedule if we're fall starters? I just want to know which classes I'll be taking.

Also, does anyone know the "rules" for living in the Lawyer's Club? What's this stuff I hear about not being able to bring your own stuff?

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:26 pm

SizeMatters wrote:Yo. Does anyone know when we find out our schedule if we're fall starters? I just want to know which classes I'll be taking.

Also, does anyone know the "rules" for living in the Lawyer's Club? What's this stuff I hear about not being able to bring your own stuff?

A few days before orientation. So, late August.

The rooms are already furnished. I have no idea about rules in terms of what you can add to what's already there.

Lothar

Postby Lothar » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:38 pm

SizeMatters,

just to add to what Alexandria said, I made the three possible fall starter schedules here, if you want to see what possible schedules you'll have.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17522&p=608299#p608299

And about the Lawyers Club (I'm going off of memory, don't ask me for the source...perhaps it was from the admitted students packet, or from our ASW tour guide) I believe you can't move out any of the provided furnishings (namely, the bed) due to there being no storage space provided, nor can you just stow the stuff away in your closet or whatever, due to fire regulations (like hiding your mattress in the closet).

But I hear some people do anyway :)

-Lothar

Lothar

Postby Lothar » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:10 pm

Hey summer starters - you have like 4-5 weeks to go before the end of your term (if you're still in school), and about 6 weeks to go before you start.

Just curious...what are you all doing? to get ready, to wrap up your current pre-law school life, etc. How do you feel, etc.?

I'm not a summer starter, but just wanted to get a feel for how you all are feeling, since the start is near. (and sorry if I caused any undue anxiety....breathe in, breathe out, slowly.)

-Lothar

just a girl

Postby just a girl » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:34 pm

I need to get through the next 3 weeks. Then classes end. Then I can start thinking about law school again.
This year has gone by way too fast.

hegemonyhog

Postby hegemonyhog » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:20 pm

Hey all!

I'm a fall starter, but moving up to AA at the end of May. I'm going to try to bring my dog around the law quad every few days or so, and I'd love to hang out with any summer folk who are free.

This is my first period of extended time off in five years, and then law school. God, I'm excited.

Ulfrekr

Postby Ulfrekr » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:01 pm

I'm a fall starter, but moving up to AA at the end of May. I'm going to try to bring my dog around the law quad every few days or so, and I'd love to hang out with any summer folk who are free.

Lucky! Are you moving into your apartment for the year? Working? And how many of us will fit on your couch?

This is my first period of extended time off in five years, and then law school. God, I'm excited.

Seconded. I actually think I might be equally excited for both.

hegemonyhog

Postby hegemonyhog » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:44 pm

Lucky! Are you moving into your apartment for the year? Working? And how many of us will fit on your couch?

Yep - starting the lease then. I'll be doing freelance stuff over the summer to pay the bills, and keep my couch clean. ;) It's a condo-turned-rental in Ypsilanti.

msumike75

Postby msumike75 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:52 pm

hegemonyhog wrote:

Yep - starting the lease then. I'll be doing freelance stuff over the summer to pay the bills, and keep my couch clean. ;) It's a condo-turned-rental in Ypsilanti.

There are lots of good people in Ypsi.

cessy

Postby cessy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:28 am

Hey,
Like I said earlier I am new yo all this but I have some questions I have been trying to get answered by people but keep getting vague non-helpful answer so here goes my try on TLS:

I really do not want to live in the lawyers club and am set on finding an apt near campus (hopefully it is not too late at this point to start looking). The thing is that I am from nyc and have never lived outside of NY (except for college dorms) so am new to the whole moving thing and have been going back and forth about what I should do with my furniture (specifically my bedroom furniture ) --- Is it typical that places near the school are already mostly furnished (because it is a college time and there is so much moving in and out)? I mean would it be a waste of money to pay movers to bring my bed, etc to AA? Should I just sell it? Does anyone have any insight on this at all? I mean I guess I just have no idea how the renting works out in AA. I know in NYC for example you would not likely find an already furnished apt.... this may be a silly question but its been driving me crazyyyy ....

Also,
I am sure this has been asked a million times - but how easy/hard is it to find an apt walking distance to campus and are there any tips/advice people have?

Finally,
Besides Craigslist and the website on the admitted student site - does anyone suggest any other sites where one could find decent apartments near the law school?

Thank You !! : )

just a girl

Postby just a girl » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:26 am

The admitted students site has some helpful links to apartments. some are a bus ride away, but since the bus is free for UM students, that doesn't seem to be a problem.
Other than that, I'm not sure of how to answer you because I'm planning on living in the Lawyer's club.

Sorry.

ALilMusicFactry

Postby ALilMusicFactry » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:43 am

Well, I went ahead and made it official today- GO BLUE! See you guys in the fall!

Whoa... didn't you get into SLS?

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:25 am

Most apartments are not furnished.

It's easy to find a place walking distance to the law school. The hard part is finding what you want in an apartment near the law school at the price you want to pay. Tons of people (most people) do live walking distance from the law school, depending on what your definition of walking distance is. I personally do not bc I we wanted something a little bigger/newer at the same price. So I don't have many answers about how to find these places.

iceman85

Postby iceman85 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:46 am

Both my gf and myself are subletting our apps this summer so if you need somewhere to stay from May - Aug, I might be able to help. PM me and I'll give you the specifics, her app is slightly closer to the Law School.

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”