U. of Michigan Law School '11

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
sockpuppet

Re: U. of Michigan Law School '11

Postby sockpuppet » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:50 pm

Look at the current schedule for classes with footnote 16 to see what I mean.

Bloodfeuds

littleone

Postby littleone » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:09 pm

In response to mildmannered, I plan on having my car, but it is possible to do without (I didn't have one my first year of graduate school at U-M). It's definitely convenient for running errands like going to the grocery store and doctor's appointments, but I had several friends at the Law School who didn't have a car the entire time they were there. As a mother, I imagine you'd find it even more useful for taking your daughter to playdates, lessons, etc. That being said, if you're ever in desperate need of a car, you can always rent one at Enterprise, which is located close to Main Street, or at the Ann Arbor airport, which is a short cab ride away from campus. Since I'll be at Michigan, too, you can also always give me a call if you and your daughter need a ride somewhere :)

mildmannered

Postby mildmannered » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:18 pm

Since I'll be at Michigan, too, you can also always give me a call if you and your daughter need a ride somewhere
:)

aawww, so nice! Is this that midwestern hospitality I keep hearing about?

I guess I am hoping that we'll be able to get by by borrowing, renting, etc. At least for awhile.

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:19 pm

There are lots and lots of people without cars at MLaw. They just make sure to live walking distance away. Some of them use ZipCar from time to time.

Obviously, having a dependent makes it harder! But you should look into ZipCar and other rental methods.

mildmannered... if you are from a southwestern state and came to the SQUALSA bar night, then you and I had a long conversation.

Lothar... I'm going to try to take that class in the Winter!

mildmannered

Postby mildmannered » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:39 pm

oh, you are so right! I was planning to email you today. I still will. (today or soon anyway) :)

stotan

Postby stotan » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:23 pm

i love this place.

rabbit9198

Postby rabbit9198 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:50 pm

stotan wrote:i love this place.

Me too!! What a great weekend.

msumike75

Postby msumike75 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:25 pm

Ann Arbor is a great town. I have lived there most of my life. AS I said earlier in this thread if anybody has any questions pm me.

sjordan256

Postby sjordan256 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:41 pm

i'm in love with ann arbor and michigan. great town, great campus, amazing faculty, chill students.....i'm obsessed!

stotan

Postby stotan » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:11 pm

PM me if we met this weekend

<--- that guy

brisbey

Postby brisbey » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:36 pm

sjordan256 wrote:i'm in love with ann arbor and michigan. great town, great campus, amazing faculty, chill students.....i'm obsessed!

Originally I just said "me too" but I am changing it to the more lawyerly I concur. (Hi to the above posters, this is Sarah.)

seagull48

Postby seagull48 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:16 pm

who needs a place to live this summer? my apt is about 2 miles away from the law school and will be empty May-August. it's a 2br and my roommate, a very sweet, fun michigan alum, will be around during the summer. $400/mo.

pm me for details.

seagull

Lothar

Postby Lothar » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:30 am

Anyone know what's up with the Faking It seminar?

http://cgi2.www.law.umich.edu/_ClassSch ... sNbr=10100

with Prof. Miller (the Icelandic Bloodfeuds professor sock mentioned above: http://cgi2.www.law.umich.edu/_FacultyB ... .asp?ID=15

-Lothar

seagull48

Postby seagull48 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:04 am

i have a friend in faking it and he thinks it's great. they read a lot of classics (jane austen, dostoevsky, hamlet) and watched a few movies (rozencrantz and guildenstern are dead), have to write a 1-3 page paper every week, and have class discussions about...well, i don't know what about. my friend said they NEVER talk about the law, though.

Ulfrekr

Postby Ulfrekr » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:27 am

Bill Miller is one of my academic heroes. I used his research extensively in writing my senior history thesis, and have read several of his books, including Faking It. His writing is brilliant and frequently hilarious- I mean like actual, LOL funny. I'm really looking forward to the possibility of taking classes with him, he's actually a big part of the reason I decided to go to law school in the first place.

roman

Postby roman » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:48 pm

anyone else going to the alum reception in chicago this wed?

stotan

Postby stotan » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:08 am

i just got my financial aid "award".

180k in loans is not appealing.

sjordan256

Postby sjordan256 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:48 pm

stotan wrote:i just got my financial aid "award".

wow.

Lothar

Postby Lothar » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:45 pm

stotan wrote:i just got my financial aid "award".

Most of us will be floating in the same 6 figure debt boat, if that's any consolation :)

-Lothar

Lothar

Postby Lothar » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:46 pm

ummm...where are are all the Michigan TLS kids today? I want to keep our thread active like some of the others :)

So, I guess I'll throw out a relevant question to get things started. I'm big on the late night food (defined as food obtained at 10 pm or later) Where are are the best places (if any) in the walking-distance area to get the following?

Pizza by the slice:

Chinese/Japanese/Thai/Indian or other Asian:

Sandwiches:

Greek/Mediterranean/Middle Eastern type food (you know - shawarma!):

Mexican or other type of Latin American-influenced (I didn't get a sense - this food big around Michigan?):

Burger-type stuff:

Hot dogs:

Diner-type stuff:

Super late-night drunk food - hot food in general after 2am.

During ASW we didn't know where to go for the drunken food...it would have helped to know where to go :)

-Lothar

betsyanna

Postby betsyanna » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:04 pm

Re: Faking it--i'm taking it right now. It's a wonderful break from law classes. Full of 1Ls like me who realized about a month into law school that they probably should've stayed in the English department. That and a lot of 3Ls who think it's the last time they'll ever do fun reading.

Bill Miller's hilarious in person, and the readings are great. It's definitely not as productive as a grad-level seminar in the English world, though. But still worth taking. And Prof. Miller is very approachable and excited about his stuff.

msumike75

Postby msumike75 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:59 pm

Lothar wrote:ummm...where are are all the Michigan TLS kids today? I want to keep our thread active like some of the others :)

So, I guess I'll throw out a relevant question to get things started. I'm big on the late night food (defined as food obtained at 10 pm or later) Where are are the best places (if any) in the walking-distance area to get the following?

Pizza by the slice: NYPD is or backroom pizza are good. Pizza House has great pizza however they do not do it by the slice. They also have a fairly good size menu as well.

Chinese/Japanese/Thai/Indian or other Asian: I am not familiar with any of these restaruants althoguh I know there are a lot of them aroud.

Sandwiches: Zingermans is good

Greek/Mediterranean/Middle Eastern type food (you know - shawarma!): La Shish on the corner of Washtenaw and Carpenter I hear is good

Mexican or other type of Latin American-influenced (I didn't get a sense - this food big around Michigan?): Big Ten Burrito is a great drunk stop. There is also Qdoba, Panceros and Chipolte, as well as Tios which has a great extra hot salsa.

Burger-type stuff: Casey's which is near the treain staton, the Brown Jug, and the famous Blimpie Burger

Hot dogs: Any number of Coney Islands's have good stuff

Diner-type stuff:

Super late-night drunk food - hot food in general after 2am. Most of what I listed is open late BTB Burrito especially

During ASW we didn't know where to go for the drunken food...it would have helped to know where to go :)

-Lothar

joyce615

Postby joyce615 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:33 pm

for the record, i made a drunken stop at big ten burrito with yourusername during ASW and we both came away disappointed. IMO their burritos were bland and boring... someone told us that's how burritos are "midwest" style. yourusername asked the guys behind the counter in spanish if there was any mexican food in ann arbor that was good and they said no. i believe them!

Mosel

Postby Mosel » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:44 pm

as someone raised in the midwest, but living in SoCal for a while:

if you're accustomed to "real" and "good" mexican, nothing in the midwest is going to satisfy you.

if you're accustomed to "Midwest Mexican" then BTB is amazing.

For me, I just consider them two completely different cuisines that happen to share the same name. There's Mexican, and then Mexican. As long as you know what type you're having, you can enjoy it according to its own set of criteria.

I really liked BTB, but it's absolutely nothing like the good mexican down here in SoCal.

seagull48

Postby seagull48 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:05 pm

Pizza by the slice: I've heard NYPD is good. I mostly eat the free Cottage Inn pizza served at the law school almost every day.

Chinese/Japanese/Thai/Indian or other Asian: Chinese - Middle Kingdom; Thai - Lotus Thai; Sushi - sushi.come is the only place I've been. It's right near campus and very reasonably priced.

Sandwiches: The standard answer is Zingerman's, but each sandwich is one-million dollars. Amer's makes delicious sandwiches and coffee and is right across the street from the law school.

Greek/Mediterranean/Middle Eastern type food (you know - shawarma!): Still looking.

Mexican or other type of Latin American-influenced (I didn't get a sense - this food big around Michigan?): Nada. But I'm from near the border, so I'm picker than most. BTB is gross, Tios and Prickly Pear are overpriced and inauthentic.

Burger-type stuff: Blimpie Burger for three reasons. 1) delicious; 2) featured on The Food Network's "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives"; 3) their slogan is "cheaper than food." Arbor Brewing Company makes a good burger, too.

Hot dogs: Red Hot Lovers, hands down. Good waffle fries, too. There is also Le Dog - I've never had their hot dogs, but they make fabulous gourmet soup (including lobster bisque on Thursday and Friday).

Diner-type stuff: Angelo's

Super late-night drunk food - hot food in general after 2am. In my circle, the late-night stop tends to be Jimmy Johns. Before 2am, the pesto fries at Ashley's are otherwordly.

caveat: these are not necessarily late-night places. i like food all day long.

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”