U. of Michigan Law School '11 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
awesomepossum

Silver

U. of Michigan Law School '11

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:54 am

Attending:

Summer:

Awesomepossum
Bumblebeechewna
jbags
joyce615
Kathy
Kboan
LitiGiant
mildmannered
Numisguy
Oblomov
TheRedDeath
Treehugger2011
Wolverine37

Fall:

Hegemonyhog
hudsongirl
just a girl (starting '09)
Lothar
Mosel
roman
sizematters
sockpuppet
rayster

I'll be happy to correct/update this as needed.
Additionally, there's a very empty facebook group that somebody just recently started.
Last edited by awesomepossum on Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:31 pm, edited 34 times in total.

lurknomore

New

Post by lurknomore » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:05 pm

Well it is nice to be in a group of such awesome (pun intended) people! :) Right now I am heavily leaning toward Michigan. I am planning on going up next month to check out the area and I have a feeling it will then become my number one choice. I sort of wish I would have gone ED so I could do the summer start. I think that is going to be a great opportunity for you guys.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:07 pm

I get the feeling that if you want to go to summer start from fall start, they would let you.

But you might want a summer vacation as well. The last you'll ever have :lol:

awesomerossum

New

Post by awesomerossum » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:07 pm

Bump!

Oh yeah, the facebook group is probably empty because only Michigan students can join it.

Ataraxia

New

Post by Ataraxia » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:15 pm

I'm tossin' it in w/ the undecided pile. Woo me, UMich. Woo me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bumblebeechewna

New

Post by bumblebeechewna » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:00 pm

ITT: you can place, set, lay, rest, and gently slide Michigan into the undecided pile...but you do NOT TOSS...hmphf :twisted:

:D

Ataraxia

New

Post by Ataraxia » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:32 am

ITT: you can place, set, lay, rest, and gently slide Michigan into the undecided pile...but you do NOT TOSS...hmphf
Lol! I'm not tossing UMich into the undecided pile. I'm tossing myself into UMich's undecided pile! :lol:

Ataraxia

New

Post by Ataraxia » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:40 am

Okay, so I'm loving the vibe I'm getting from UMich. I'm also lovin' the 66K scholly. But every time I tell anyone that I'm torn between UMich and Harvard right now, they say I'd be crazy to choose UMich over Harvard. Some comments I've gotten are:

"But it's Harvard!!!"

"OMG! Do you know how much parents dream of their kid going to Harvard?!?!?" (Not from my parents.)

"Ummm, but it's in Michigan!"

Is my love for UMich so outrageous? Maybe it's wrong of me but I can't help but thing of BigH as being filled w/ gunnerish, socially akward, not fun to hang out w/ ppl. I know ppl say it's only 3 years, but it's three years I will never get back; three years that could have been spent in a supportive, dynamic environment making lifelong friends and amassing happy memories. Then again, I don't know that Harvard won't provide that. I'm so conflicted! :?

Thoughts?

bumblebeechewna

New

Post by bumblebeechewna » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:35 am

visit both with an open mind and then decide...You might (more likely than not) visit Harvard and love it. When it comes down to it, you (and only you) have to go through those 3 years. :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sunnyea

New

Post by sunnyea » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:27 pm

Hi guys,

I'm not on here all that much anymore, but I'm a 1L at UMich -- it's so exciting to see all the Michigan love!

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that if you have any questions that I might be able to answer, please feel free to PM me. I can't promise I'll be super fast with responses in the next few weeks (finals are the bane of my existence at the moment), but I'd love to be of any help I can.

and Ataraxia, I don't think you would be all that crazy to choose Mich over H (nor would you be the first, I'm sure)...but then again I might be a little biased :D

mildmannered

New

Post by mildmannered » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:49 pm

I got my acceptance to Michigan yesterday, so I'm in the admitted but undecided category. I too get a really good feeling from the school (albeit without having visited). It just impresses me as a very student focused place -like they will really be aware that I am a student there, not just see me as a walking tuition check.

Anyway, so far I am in at Duke and Michigan, but I am hoping that I will have a few more schools from which to choose before its all over.

As a post script - when the first Michigan decisions started coming out, I was worried because I didn't get one even though I sent my app in really early. But then on Tues or Wed the admissions office forward me a question from their readers re: my app, so I answered it and then went decision w/in 2 days. The point of saying all of that is, that I think there is no need to stress out or assume the worst if you are not in the early early batch of people being contacted and accepted.

lizzy1280

New

Post by lizzy1280 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:54 pm

mild - what was the question if you don't mind me asking? i've never heard of that before.

mildmannered

New

Post by mildmannered » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:02 pm

I pm'd you.

I'm a little infected by paranoia about making my identity obvious, if adcomms do look at these sites. I think once I make my school decision I won't mind if I'm clearly identified on the forums.

But anyway, they just wanted an elaboration on one of my addenda.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

britt2010

New

Post by britt2010 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:54 pm

I'm echoing Sunnyea; UM 1L here and happy to answer Qs.

It's kind of surprising the # of people I've met who've passed up higher-ranked schools for UM. It's a self-selecting thing, not for everyone. The trend is that people who were uncomfortable about the prospect of going to class with jerks chose what they perceived to be a better atmosphere. In doing so, those people invariably create the atmosphere that they desired.

Mahvelous, really.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:13 pm

it turns out one of my friends from grad school is going to be at UMich. Hopefully he can show me around the ultimate scene in AA so I won't be studying at all. :shock:

Most of the people at UMich I know right now are people I met via LSD. Current 1Ls. It seems like they were having fun and neglecting their studies through the first half of the semester. Good times!

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:17 pm

by the way, for all the undecideds...this will definitely push you over the edge...you get to choose your own email address!!! wooo! no more letters with random numbers afterward! :D

bumblebeechewna

New

Post by bumblebeechewna » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:02 pm

that means you can be AwesomePossum for the next 3 years?!...well then, the decision is rather obvious
Ha! Harvard eat your heart out :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

awesomerossum

New

Post by awesomerossum » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:58 pm

The HLS email address is ugly. I believe it's xxxx@jd10.law.harvard.edu

littleone

New

Post by littleone » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:34 am

Please put me down for "Accepted but undecided" :D I'm about 95% sure I'll be attending (for the summer start), but my fiance needs to get stuff worked out with his job before we can pull the trigger. If anyone has any questions about Ann Arbor/Michigan, I've been a graduate student at the University for the past five years and would be happy to help!

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:43 pm

lol
Last edited by gmail on Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skyblue4859

New

Post by skyblue4859 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:07 pm

Is summer start supposed to be easier, harder, or the same as getting into fall start?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dell99

New

Post by dell99 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:41 pm

Doe anyone remember how long it took to receive info from U MICH on how yo check the app.status once they sent an email acknowledging your app? i got my app acknowledgment on Nov 16th,and have not heard back

sockpuppet

Bronze

Post by sockpuppet » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:54 pm

Last edited by sockpuppet on Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:26 am

I know why I thought I would like Michigan (haven't gotten in/likely won't)

I really liked the idea of being somewhere for 3 years that I would likely never have a chance to be at again.

All the city schools are great, don't get me wrong, but the idea of being part of something for 3 years really intrigued me.

Assuming I could choose, the only place I would go besides is UVA. And I think the reasoning for both is obvious.

Das' just me though...

YoungFogey

New

Post by YoungFogey » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:36 pm

Add me to the group :) I'm undecided though. There are many reasons UMich is the best choice for me, but some others that make it complicated. It's going to take awhile to sort it all out, but I'm definitely psyched I got in!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”