U. of Michigan Law School '11 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
msumike75

New

Re: U. of Michigan Law School '11

Post by msumike75 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:48 pm

jbags wrote:Im out for tennis and volleyball, but in for golf and softball for the summer. Any takers?
If you like golf Eastern Michigan University has a nice course in Ypsilanti. I work there and we give a student rate to UofM students as long as there is a valid student ID. Last year it was $29 for 18 with a cat during the week. We are a **** course according to Golf Digest.

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:22 pm

msumike75 wrote:Smoking is still allowed in Ann Arbor bars.

Damn it. I'm guessing it's not a big smoker's town, but still, I like to be able to go out and not come back smelling like grandma.

roman

New

Post by roman » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:25 pm

Last edited by roman on Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rayster

New

Post by Rayster » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:36 pm

roman wrote:yea switch me to attending possum.. :D
Cool, maybe we'll argue more in class... :)

msumike75

New

Post by msumike75 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:28 pm

gmail wrote:
msumike75 wrote:Smoking is still allowed in Ann Arbor bars.

Damn it. I'm guessing it's not a big smoker's town, but still, I like to be able to go out and not come back smelling like grandma.
There is at least one bar that is non smoking. However it is more of a club than a bar.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbags

New

Post by jbags » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:47 am

Thanks mike. I know the UM course is nice too. Although its often closed. I think its 25 for students.

seagull48

New

Post by seagull48 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:54 am

There is at least one bar that is non smoking. However it is more of a club than a bar.
are you talking about ricks? because ricks is the kind of place that makes you realize there are worse smells than smoke.

and there aren't a lot of smokers in ann arbor, at least i don't think so. it's kind of a healthy place.

msumike75

New

Post by msumike75 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:57 am

seagull48 wrote:
are you talking about ricks? because ricks is the kind of place that makes you realize there are worse smells than smoke.

and there aren't a lot of smokers in ann arbor, at least i don't think so. it's kind of a healthy place.
Yeah I was talking about Ricks. I like going to Ricks and picking up trashy girls, and drinking shark bowls (I actually went there tonight). Last time I went to Bar Louie I don't think I ended up smelling like an ash tray. The Heidelberg downstairs is never pretty smelling although Das Boot is always fun to get. The Brown Jug is non smoking before 10 I think. I usually sit outside there during the summer though, so it is never bad.

YoungFogey

New

Summer Start Housing

Post by YoungFogey » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:39 pm

I have absolutely no connection to this post, but ran across it and though some here might be interested.

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:37 pm

Are there lots of awesomely seedy dive bars in the area that are a bit too far out to attract students? These are the things that will ultimately make me choose whether or not to attend a school.

citric

New

Post by citric » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:34 pm

Last edited by citric on Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ulfrekr

Bronze

Post by Ulfrekr » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:39 pm

Are there lots of awesomely seedy dive bars in the area that are a bit too far out to attract students? These are the things that will ultimately make me choose whether or not to attend a school.
TITCR, good to see a fellow enthusiast.

britt2010

New

Post by britt2010 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:17 pm

"awesomely seedy dive bars," eh?

There's the State Street area--near the law school. It's undergradlandia and I prefer to stay away from that area, unless I want a 40 of beer and a good game of quarters (it has happened). It's not my scene, though.

Then there's the Main Street area. This is by far the place to go. There's Bab's, an unmarked secret underground bar. Guess it's not a secret now. It's in an office building off of Ashley St.

There's also Millenium-Circus-Gotham City-Cavern. It's a huge four part club. Gotham City is strange, kind of trippy. Millenium is like a Miami club, Circus is beer-billiards bar, and Cavern is AMAZING. Cavern is like a French bar--it's underground, fashioned like a cave. There are candle sconces and gigantic fake trees. It's ethereal, really. I love it.

Good Night Gracie's is a tucked away jazz club. Great martinis.

Live at PJs, where I was last night having the.best.birthday bash ever, is a good place to let loose and dance--much better option than the infamous Rick's.

There is a plethora of other bars to choose from, but Main St. is where it's at. You'll see some grad students, but it's an older, more diverse crowd.
<--hilarious.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

msumike75

New

Post by msumike75 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:13 pm

britt2010 wrote:"awesomely seedy dive bars," eh?

There's the State Street area--near the law school. It's undergradlandia and I prefer to stay away from that area, unless I want a 40 of beer and a good game of quarters (it has happened). It's not my scene, though.

Then there's the Main Street area. This is by far the place to go. There's Bab's, an unmarked secret underground bar. Guess it's not a secret now. It's in an office building off of Ashley St.

There's also Millenium-Circus-Gotham City-Cavern. It's a huge four part club. Gotham City is strange, kind of trippy. Millenium is like a Miami club, Circus is beer-billiards bar, and Cavern is AMAZING. Cavern is like a French bar--it's underground, fashioned like a cave. There are candle sconces and gigantic fake trees. It's ethereal, really. I love it.

Good Night Gracie's is a tucked away jazz club. Great martinis.

Live at PJs, where I was last night having the.best.birthday bash ever, is a good place to let loose and dance--much better option than the infamous Rick's.

There is a plethora of other bars to choose from, but Main St. is where it's at. You'll see some grad students, but it's an older, more diverse crowd.
<--hilarious.
Ashley's is not a bad place to drink at. It doesn't really have an undergrad feel to it, and there is a very expansive beer list.

britt2010

New

Post by britt2010 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:43 pm

http://www.law.umich.edu/blogs/Pages/default.aspx

Here are blogs by 1-3Ls. Check it out!

SizeMatters

New

Post by SizeMatters » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:42 am

accepted, attending fall

sockpuppet

Bronze

Post by sockpuppet » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:22 pm

You can add me to the Fall list. Barring a big surprise somewhere else, Michigan is now my #1 choice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rayster

New

Post by Rayster » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:47 pm

sockpuppet wrote:You can add me to the Fall list. Barring a big surprise somewhere else, Michigan is now my #1 choice.
Thats awesome!

You can add me for Fall as well.

ari20dal7

Bronze

Post by ari20dal7 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:19 pm

Accepted, undecided, but Michigan is probably my #1 right now. Depends on whether I get into Boalt and what UCLA offers.

Rayster

New

Post by Rayster » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Just got the Michigan recruitment call, from a nice guy from a small town near my small home town. He gave me the impression that Michigan grads do exceeding well, and that the alumni network is amazingly helpful.

He also mentioned that it is possible to work as a GSI (read TA) in other departments if you have an advanced degree to have your tuition waived and given a stipend!

Mosel

New

Post by Mosel » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:21 pm

yeah, the guy to whom I spoke was really cool, gave me really good feelings about the school, and now I'm even more psyched than I was before.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheRedDeath

New

Post by TheRedDeath » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:31 pm

I spoke to a woman whose love for UM was almost suffocating. Among her pieces of advice:

-part-time job as 1L actually a good idea
-plenty of fun, opportunities for reprieve (even though she doesn't like football)
-don't waste all your time briefing cases and/or studying all hours of the night because it's not worth it (good thing--I wasn't planning on it)
-Michigan is amazing (not really advice)

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:34 pm

sizematters, sockpuppet and rayster taken care of. Have I forgotten to do any?

Mosel

New

Post by Mosel » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:36 pm

TheRedDeath wrote:I spoke to a woman whose love for UM was almost suffocating.

Get used to it. The worst thing about UofM is that everyone is so damned happy to be there. It's a double-edged sword. If you start to feel really suffocated, you can head to East Lansing with me on Saturdays to watch the Spartans get their asses handed to them---that is, if football is your kinda thing.

Mosel

New

Post by Mosel » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:37 pm

awesomepossum wrote:sizematters, sockpuppet and rayster taken care of. Have I forgotten to do any?

well, you still don't have me, but I just assumed it was because you don't like me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”