U. of Michigan Law School '11 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
tradams

New

Re: U. of Michigan Law School '11

Post by tradams » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:06 pm

I'm in at Michigan, and I'm trying to decide between that, UChicago, NYU, and Columbia atm.

Rayster

New

Post by Rayster » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:07 pm

Wow, UM'11 is really well represented on this board.

Mosel

New

Post by Mosel » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:08 pm

It's ok.

Of course, this will do....

Figure that's appropriate. One of the best Michigan Beers....and cherry, because well, you know, it's the State Fruit.

Mosel

New

Post by Mosel » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:09 pm

tradams wrote:I'm in at Michigan, and I'm trying to decide between that, UChicago, NYU, and Columbia atm.

Chicago. fwiw....

tradams

New

Post by tradams » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:13 pm

There are other factors (relevant only to me), including the fact that my g/f is already admitted to U of Michigan medical school, which is a fantastic school.

I did like UChicago almost as much as Michigan when I visited, however.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rayster

New

Post by Rayster » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:25 pm

tradams wrote:There are other factors (relevant only to me), including the fact that my g/f is already admitted to U of Michigan medical school, which is a fantastic school.

Family matters are directing my decisions right now as much as anything. Most of these top schools have similar opportunities after graduation, but consider this, law school is 3 years and you will spend the summers interning away from Ann Arbor if you attend Michigan. Med school is 4 years, and she will be there the entire time. So if you both go to Michigan you will be away from her during the summers and for her last year of med school. In Chicago if she gets into med school then you can intern there and get a job there after graduation so you won't be aprart.

Also, the rank of med schools matters all of zero percent because there is always a need for more doctors. If one of you is going to attend a lesser ranked school to facilitate the other it should be her. There are too many lawyers, so it behooves you to try to take the best opportunity you have (though, honestly the difference between the schools you listed isn't that great).

YoungFogey

New

Post by YoungFogey » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:29 pm

tradams wrote:There are other factors (relevant only to me), including the fact that my g/f is already admitted to U of Michigan medical school, which is a fantastic school.

I don't think it is such a clear call for UChicago over UMich. If you want academia, UChicago is probably your better bet, but I was even leaning towards UMich over UChicago and that's what I want to end up doing (I was going to reserve final judgment until after ASW, though).

If your relationship is serious, I don't think you'd be "giving up" that much going to UMich.

YoungFogey

New

Post by YoungFogey » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:31 pm

Yea! Mosel's on the list.

Thanks for keeping this up to date Awesome. I know these lists are a PITA and the UMich one is really hopping.

YoungFogey

New

Post by YoungFogey » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:34 pm

Rayster wrote: Also, the rank of med schools matters all of zero percent because there is always a need for more doctors. If one of you is going to attend a lesser ranked school to facilitate the other it should be her. There are too many lawyers, so it behooves you to try to take the best opportunity you have (though, honestly the difference between the schools you listed isn't that great).

Good point Ray -- I was working off the assumption that UMich was a done deal (or at least there was no med school to which she had been admitted in the other markets).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rayster

New

Post by Rayster » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:39 pm

YoungFogey wrote:
Rayster wrote: Also, the rank of med schools matters all of zero percent because there is always a need for more doctors. If one of you is going to attend a lesser ranked school to facilitate the other it should be her. There are too many lawyers, so it behooves you to try to take the best opportunity you have (though, honestly the difference between the schools you listed isn't that great).

Good point Ray -- I was working off the assumption that UMich was a done deal (or at least there was no med school to which she had been admitted in the other markets).
I agree, if she is definitely going to Umich med, then going to Umich over the others doesn't seem like a decision that will be regretted.

tradams

New

Post by tradams » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:40 pm

Yeah we're aware that prestige is less important in med school. She was impressed by Michigan however, and your med school does matter for more prestigious fellowships (i.e. subspecialties), because they determine your residency options. As for her 4th year, rotations don't need to be done at your med school.

All in all, we'll just go where we feel comfortable going.

Ben Matlock

New

Post by Ben Matlock » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:43 pm

I'm in at Michigan and undecided as well.

verdandi

New

Post by verdandi » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:05 am

Tradams -- can we switch? :-D I got a fiance in Chicago and I'm deferred there... but in at UMich, so add me to the undecided (but leaning towards attending) list.

I have to say, since the beginning, I've had a bit of a love affair with Michigan. I would LOVE to go there -- I think it would be a great fit for me. Now if I could only move it to Evanston...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lothar

New

Post by Lothar » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:23 am

Lothar wrote:Please add Lothar to the maybe list. But I'm pretty sure Lothar will be on the attending list in a few weeks.

-Lothar
Sorry if this was unclear. Lothar is "accepted but undecided". :)

-Lothar

sockpuppet

Bronze

Post by sockpuppet » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:03 am

By my count, TLS members confirmed attending now account for around 6% of the Michigan Law Class of 2011. Does anyone else find that a little disturbing?

Rayster

New

Post by Rayster » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:54 am

sockpuppet wrote:By my count, TLS members confirmed attending now account for around 6% of the Michigan Law Class of 2011. Does anyone else find that a little disturbing?
And thats just the ones who self-reported in this thread to date, there will be more.

Ulfrekr

Bronze

Post by Ulfrekr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:42 pm

By my count, TLS members confirmed attending now account for around 6% of the Michigan Law Class of 2011. Does anyone else find that a little disturbing?
I find it a little awesome. I'd suggest you guys start a club or something, but you'll all probably hate each other in person.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mosel

New

Post by Mosel » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:46 pm

Ulfrekr wrote:
I find it a little awesome. I'd suggest you guys start a club or something, but you'll all probably hate each other in person.

We have a club. It's called The Awesome Club of Awesomeness.

Rayster

New

Post by Rayster » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:55 pm

Ulfrekr wrote:
Why do you think that? I seriously hope that Sockpuppet ends up in my section so we can be in a study group. None of the others have rubbed me the wrong way. Most seem smart, openminded, and excited to start the grind that is law school.

YoungFogey

New

Post by YoungFogey » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:57 pm

sockpuppet wrote:By my count, TLS members confirmed attending now account for around 6% of the Michigan Law Class of 2011. Does anyone else find that a little disturbing?
I think that it speaks to the increasing popularity of this board. I've noticed the same trend at a couple of schools -- it seems there are a lot more people posting to the XXXX Class of '11 threads this year than there were last year. I remember when I joined, if someone had a question about a school, there were often only one or two regulars who would have first hand knowledge. Now every school seems to have a bunch going in the fall.

YoungFogey

New

Post by YoungFogey » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:06 pm

Rayster wrote:
Ulfrekr wrote:
Why do you think that? I seriously hope that Sockpuppet ends up in my section so we can be in a study group. None of the others have rubbed me the wrong way. Most seem smart, openminded, and excited to start the grind that is law school.
I think it will be very interesting to meet people IRL. I know that I write very differently than I speak. Also, kind of like when you read a book and then see the movie, I think we might be surprised by what the cast of "characters" looks like IRL compared to how we pictured them in our heads.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mosel

New

Post by Mosel » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:09 pm

YoungFogey wrote:
Rayster wrote:
Ulfrekr wrote:
I think it will be very interesting to meet people IRL. I know that I write very differently than I speak. Also, kind of like when you read a book and then see the movie, I think we might be surprised by what the cast of "characters" looks like IRL compared to how we pictured them in our heads.
I'm so psyched about all the people from here that will be at Mich. A huge handful of my favorite posters picked this school, and I personally think the sections at Mich this year are going to be awesome.

Rayster

New

Post by Rayster » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:12 pm

Definitely.

If anything, having so many on here makes me realize the magnitude of overachievement that comes together in these top law school classes.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:15 pm

if you think this group is large, you should check out the group at LSD. It's probably larger if not a lot larger. Last years LSD group ended up becoming quite close at law school and still hang out regularly.

I think the March preview weekend is going to be ridiculous. Lots of TLSers. I'm excited. Why not get a leg up on getting to know some classmates?

BTW..... our goal at March should be to get Ataraxia and Alexb away from Yale..... :twisted:

Rayster

New

Post by Rayster » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:18 pm

Unfortunately I've been to Umich enough to save my money.

Good luck with Alex and Ataraxia, that would be quite a coup.

I never really liked LSD, but I'll check out its UM'11 page.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”