If you can do it again, would u take a full ride or ranking? Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)

Scholly or ranking?

T20ish(+/- 3)
61%
T14/T15 with 10k or less scholly
39%

Total votes: 140

ResolutePear

Platinum

Re: If you can do it again, would u take a full ride or ranking?

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:46 pm

It's all about what your goals are. Big Law? Definitely T14 at full and even then, it's comparable to winning the lottery.

Looking for something a bit more... intimate? Take a full ride.

Personally for me, I plan to practice in Miami, Florida. I'd take full ride at UF or UM and follow up with a LLM in Taxation at UF once working for a bit (The firm would ideally pay for this). Why these schools? The alumni base is huge in terms of Florida jobs. Also, UF throws out pretty hefty schollys if you're the first in the family to graduate from college, so I read on the website.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:50 pm

Choose close to full ride at T17 over 1/2 ride at T10. Still only a 1L, but I'm not regretting my decision in the least. The only schools I would have strongly considered paying sticker at would be T6.

booby87

Bronze

Post by booby87 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:54 pm

Last edited by booby87 on Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:57 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:SMU awards six (6), I believe, but they are limited to residents of Texas & a few neighboring states.
It would be interesting to read of any other law schools that offer "full ride" (tuition & fees plus books & living stipend/expenses) scholarships.
Quinnipiac does. I remember getting a bunch of mail about it.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:13 pm

booby87 wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:SMU awards six (6), I believe, but they are limited to residents of Texas & a few neighboring states.
It would be interesting to read of any other law schools that offer "full ride" (tuition & fees plus books & living stipend/expenses) scholarships.
UTexas does. They offered a pretty reasonable living stipend, I don't remember exactly how much though..
The top scholly at UT is something like tuition + fees + $8K/year. I received tuition, fees, and a slightly smaller stipend. I am still borrowing a bit for living expenses.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:37 pm

chadwick218 wrote:The only schools that I would even consider taking a full-ride over sticker at a T14 (minus Cornell and GULC) would be Texas, UCLA, and Vanderbilt.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:15 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Choose close to full ride at T17 over 1/2 ride at T10. Still only a 1L, but I'm not regretting my decision in the least. The only schools I would have strongly considered paying sticker at would be T6.
We'll see if you change your mind come OCI next fall. IMO, there's a big difference b/w a school that places 60% into biglaw (even in this economy) versus school that struggles to place 30% into biglaw.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:54 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Choose close to full ride at T17 over 1/2 ride at T10. Still only a 1L, but I'm not regretting my decision in the least. The only schools I would have strongly considered paying sticker at would be T6.
We'll see if you change your mind come OCI next fall. IMO, there's a big difference b/w a school that places 60% into biglaw (even in this economy) versus school that struggles to place 30% into biglaw.
Yeah, that's a pretty big question mark that is yet to be determined. A big part of the reason came from starting to believe that MVP (UVA was the specific school I was choosing between) doesn't have a significant advantage over UT for working in Texas. After talking to a decent amount of lawyers, both those who've been out only a few years and those who have been out for awhile, I came away with the impression that unless it was T6 (a few said T5, leaving out NYU) the cut-off for BigTex would be around the same for MVP (though a few did say that MVP cut-offs at where they worked went a little deeper). I decided that what is maybe just a small advantage was not worth an extra 50k and being away from my family and friends. Plus it would be nice to have a shot at Austin if my grades were really good, which would probably not happen coming from UVA with no Austin-specific ties.

If I'm pretty wrong on any of these points though, I would love to be corrected.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:05 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote: A big part of the reason came from starting to believe that MVP (UVA was the specific school I was choosing between) doesn't have a significant advantage over UT for working in Texas. After talking to a decent amount of lawyers, both those who've been out only a few years and those who have been out for awhile, I came away with the impression that unless it was T6 (a few said T5, leaving out NYU) the cut-off for BigTex would be around the same for MVP (though a few did say that MVP cut-offs at where they worked went a little deeper). I decided that what is maybe just a small advantage was not worth an extra 50k and being away from my family and friends. Plus it would be nice to have a shot at Austin if my grades were really good, which would probably not happen coming from UVA with no Austin-specific ties.
I'm not saying you're wrong or that you made the wrong decision (50k is alot of money), but the Texas biglaw folks I've talked to say their firms are probably willing to go a little deeper in the class at UVA to hire an associate. But this is solely based on a couple of conversations and how much deeper was never specified.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”