Low Tuition Schools for Veterans

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Bruslance

Low Tuition Schools for Veterans

Postby Bruslance » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:29 pm

Hello All,

I am curious as to which schools would offer the lowest tuition for veterans in the T3 and T4 range. I am not a high profile candidate by any means (2.65gpa, guessing around 155 lsat this dec). I know the GI Bill can help if I look for schools that have high resident undergraduate tuition, but I am looking for schools that offer other perks.

My resident state is Iowa so which offers pretty much nothing. Also, I am looking for full-time status. I appreciate all your advice on this topic.

General Tso

Re: Low Tuition Schools for Veterans

Postby General Tso » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:58 pm

I am not sure but I think that in CA veterans might be able to attend a UC for free. Or at least get alot of fees waived

http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/v ... ition.html

jks289

Postby jks289 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:05 pm

swheat wrote:I am not sure but I think that in CA veterans might be able to attend a UC for free. Or at least get alot of fees waived

http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/v ... ition.html

This is accurate, though you'd need to bump your LSAT up at least 10 points to have a shot at Davis or Hastings. Are you URM or up for a retake?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:08 pm

I am thinking that if California has a program like this then other states probably do as well.

Just a quick google search showed that Duke has some kind of grant program for veteran law students. I know OP is not in contention for UC's or Duke but there have to be some lower ranked schools that have tuition benefits for vets.

amputatedbrain

Postby amputatedbrain » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:09 pm

I know Univ. of Washington offers a 50% tuition waiver for (combat?) veterans

Bruslance

Postby Bruslance » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:15 pm

I might be willing to retake the LSAT, but after looking through the various sites on the benefits I don't think I would qualify. The tuition fee waiver by the state appears only for disabled veteran's dependents, and the residence qualification only applies to active duty members, which I do not qualify for either.

Are there school specific policies I am missing? As I am not seeing any after a thirty minute google search.

Thanks for the information by the way!

Wanpsack1

Postby Wanpsack1 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:55 pm

USMC Vet here. When I went looking for low tuition, I found that it was better to look for schools that participated in the Yellow Ribbon Program. More info here: http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/C ... ribbon.htm

Basically, it is a program to allow schools to pay up to 1/2 the difference between the total tuition costs and what the GI Bill covers. The VA will patch whatever the school pays, so in some instances tuition will be free. Quite a few schools will contribute to the yellow ribbon program so look for schools that you want to go to and then check here ( http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/C ... P_List.htm ) to see if they participate.

I used this to determine where I wanted to apply. A lot of the schools that I applied to would be free or VERY cheap if I got the Yellow Ribbon Scholarship. Schools will have anywhere between 5-unlimited number of scholarships available.

Good Luck and Semper Fi

bahama

Postby bahama » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:22 pm

+1 yellow ribbon program

sccjnthn

Postby sccjnthn » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:32 pm

Yellow ribbon program is definitely the best option if you qualify. Colorado and Ohio also waive out of state tuition and Iowa recently granted in state tuition if you are from out of state. Obviously these don't directly address your question but if you search a few veterans websites you should be able to find other states that offer similar opportunities.

As a California resident I thought that the only financial benefit was in state tuition. If someone could point to the place where it mentions free tuition it would definitely make my cycle.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:40 pm

All ohio public schools offer in state rates to all veterans. U Conn waives tuition (full ride!) to any veteran who becomes a resident of the state before getting a decision. There are a few states which also waive tuition but you usually had to of been a resident prior to serving.

Rutgers schools provide in state rates to anyone who signs a lease before mid summer, this is for everyone not just veterans.

There have been a bunch of topics on this, search around the boards and I'm sure something will come up.

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:15 pm

Just found out this very recent change: Colorado public universities will give veterans with an honorable discharge in-state tuition for all of their college.

uconn1l

Postby uconn1l » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:23 pm

Connecticut offers tuition waivers for vets, but you're going to have to score higher on the LSAT for UCon..

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:04 am

uconn1l wrote:Connecticut offers tuition waivers for vets, but you're going to have to score higher on the LSAT for UCon..

And move to the state prior to being accepted in order to get the tuition waiver.

ArmyVet07

Postby ArmyVet07 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:12 pm

I haven't looked at all of the states that offer reduced tuition or free tuition (which is in addition to the GI Bill benefits), but those I have examined (Washington, Texas, and Wisconsin) all limit their programs to veterans who meet state residency requirements.

Return to “Financial Aid”