Living below poverty line and DENIED LSAC fee waiver!?!?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Jay-Electronica

Re: Living below poverty line and DENIED LSAC fee waiver!?!?

Postby Jay-Electronica » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:06 pm

Sorry to hear that man. I hope you get it. You can always appeal, if you take that route try to get higher up the chain of command. I just got my fee waiver but I was so broke in 2008 that I didnt even file taxes lol

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:51 pm

Okay, I've seen this situation before, and here's what you have to do: Rob a liquor store. Just make sure it isn't a Korean-owned one because they have guns.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:00 pm

fenderjsm88 wrote:Okay, I've seen this situation before, and here's what you have to do: Rob a liquor store. Just make sure it isn't a Korean-owned one because they have guns.

Good advice. I'm on it.

alex06

Postby alex06 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:10 pm

Just wanted to chime in and say that I really feel for the OP. Thank god I turned 24 last December! I was originally denied, but was able to get the fee waiver through an appeal. If I hadn't gotten it, I don't know what I would have done. Similar situation--gov't grant, but bc of the economy they aren't granting extensions this year so I'm living off a 9 month grant for 14-15 months while I complete my research...

Oban

Postby Oban » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:33 am

I submitted my fee waiver, but i'm not sure how it will turn out because i have maby a unique situation.

My income was less than 9k in 08, and i got my moms tax return, but my parents are divorced and my father has since remarried and filed jointly with his wife, so his income isnt easily decernable from his wifes. I emailed LSAC exaplaining this, not sure how they will decide.

laidoffjournalist

Postby laidoffjournalist » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:03 pm

Hmm. How long does it take to get approved? I sent my tax forms in over a week ago and the status online still says it's under review. I just sent in my stuff because I was pre-approved online, but I wonder if I should've told them that I've been laid off from my job, so the tax reform from last year actually shows earnings I don't even get anymore and I am even poorer now?

izzytovar

Postby izzytovar » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:50 pm

My appeal took about 2-3 weeks, but was finally approved!! Was a huge relief as with many other posters costs are climbing and pay is not, lol.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:06 pm

Oblomov wrote:While it's not as simple, apply directly to the schools you are interested in.

Do you have the option to do this? I thought most schools require you to use LSAC.

chnike112

Postby chnike112 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:58 pm

I'm in the same situation. got denied twice (now im gonna appeal) and im 23. I have no money and cant really imagine being any poorer while still having a warm place to stay at night. I was a dependent last year w/ my mom and she made a whooping 28k that year which i guess means i can pay those $80-100 a pop app fees.

chnike112

Postby chnike112 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:05 pm

democrattotheend wrote:
Oblomov wrote:While it's not as simple, apply directly to the schools you are interested in.

Do you have the option to do this? I thought most schools require you to use LSAC.

i think they mean apply for a fee waiver directly to the school. I have received at least 7 fee waivers from T1 schools by asking. I told them I am poor and sent my tax return and my bank statement. I have yet to be denied for one and LSAC said my "income exceeds eligible limit" which is laughable to me.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:33 pm

Same here. I requested over 20 app fee waivers all from T1s and the majority ranked 30 or higher. All of them except Duke gave me one. For the record, I didn't expect to get approved for so many but am happy I was.

voice of reason

Postby voice of reason » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:15 pm

hypermeganet wrote:Being under 25, not married, not a ward of the courts, and not a military vet = you are dependent. Regardless of whether you file your taxes on your own, your parents' incomes will be considered.

What is "dependent" supposed to mean here? As far as the IRS is concerned, being over 18 and not a full-time student means you are not a dependent (unless disabled). If you're 19-23 and are a student and live off your parents' income and live with your parents, then you're a dependent, but the OP apparently is not. Or is the IRS definition not relevant here?

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:27 pm

the lantern wrote:
hypermeganet wrote:Being under 25, not married, not a ward of the courts, and not a military vet = you are dependent. Regardless of whether you file your taxes on your own, your parents' incomes will be considered.

Pretty much being not married is the kiss of death. I'm a vet, over 25, and still got denied. The shitty thing is (and this applies to federal grant money too) is that if I quit my job and lived off of grant money, I'd get grants out the wazoo. People who work for a living get screwed while fat stay at home moms who go to college for hair designing get all the grant money (and I assume that it is only 25+ unemployed people getting fee waivers). I understand people who are legitimately unemployed, but people who are over 25 and are just full time students are a bunch of freeloaders. No offence to any freeloading over 25 non veteran full time college students.

I loved hearing the single moms in class boasting about getting their grant money check and going shopping that night.

legalized

Postby legalized » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:46 pm

Imagine these are future lawyers in here turning up their nose in scorn at single mothers and those who are pursuing a higher education and dare be over 25 to do it.

It's a shame, the childish tantrum throwing and unrelated person-scapegoating just because you didn't get a waiver. The thread is to ask for help and great advice like applying directly to schools has been given.

Save the negativity and channel that energy towards getting into/out of law school in good shape.

The amount of people with nasty attitudes in positions of influence over the lives of others is amazing.

No I don't agree with anyone (NOT JUST single MOTHERS, married ones, men, old people, anyone!) taking their grant money to go shopping...but what if they are going shopping for some new suits or came to law school with barely more than the clothes on their backs, which have now started to grow holes in them?

Stop watching other people and start minding your own business. From what I understand people with sorry grades can't keep grants in law school anyway, so obviously if they are doing what they need to do to get and keep the grants, who are you to sit grudging other people who don't know you?

Shoot, if I was broke and saw someone getting grants left and right I'd be friends with them so when I casually mention how I haven't been able to afford my books yet, they can help me out.

Some of you don't think. Too busy trying to feel superior to somebody.

legalized

Postby legalized » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:55 pm

voice of reason wrote:

What is "dependent" supposed to mean here? As far as the IRS is concerned, being over 18 and not a full-time student means you are not a dependent (unless disabled). If you're 19-23 and are a student and live off your parents' income and live with your parents, then you're a dependent, but the OP apparently is not. Or is the IRS definition not relevant here?

If you are under 25 and not in school yes you not dependent...but, if you are applying to go to school under 25 you will need your parents information.

Unless you are married and/or have child(ren).

Or some other weird legal situation/jump through the hoops to prove to them you are not dependent.

OP might want to establish what the LSAC's version of the poverty line is, and whether his tax returns if he is over 25 proves that.

He can't complain if he is under 25 and it just so happens his parents are not paying his rent...because it's his parent's tax returns that matter that point, not just his.

Are his PARENTS under the poverty line?

In any case he's been advised that applying directly to the schools for waivers has worked for folks, so his problem is solved unless Harvard and the rest also don't see what his issue is. In which case if he's the only one that thinks he's poor, maybe he might need to start observing his finances from everyone else's viewpoint.

Return to “Financial Aid”