How much undergraduate debt did you graduate with? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.

How much undergraduate debt did you graduate with?

Debt Free (No federal, personal or private loans to repay)
40%
Less than 10K
10%
Between 10-25K
26%
Between 25-50K
12%
Between 50-75K
6%
Between 75-85K
2%
Between 85-100K
1%
More than 100K
2%

Total votes: 611

bgdddymtty

Silver

Re: How much undergraduate debt did you graduate with?

Post by bgdddymtty » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:50 pm

"I graduated with 5k in debt .... but one of my friends goes to GWU and she has 210k in debt for undergrad. I feel bad for her."

":shock: Wow. I feel bad for her too..."

"Goodness, that sucks. Isn't that what financial aid is supposed to prevent?"

"Wow, if her parents really did make high enough salaries to count their daughter out of need-based aid, they did her a major disservice by not saving for her college education. Not to pick on your friend and her family, but wow. That's just awful."

I know this is an old conversation, but I have to comment. You guys feel bad for this girl? Really? She made the decision to spend at least $210,000 to obtain a degree that is almost entirely worthless in the job market, and yet the culpability lies with her parents or the financial aid system? Whatever happened to the concept of responsibility for one's own actions?

revrocksteady

New

Post by revrocksteady » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:09 pm

I have around 59k debt total between my undergrad and graduate degree. I am more than minimally stressed out about affording a good law school. Luckily I am getting small scholarships to help here & there, but that is not easing the pain... I plan to but a few lotto tickets today.

If all else fails, just marry someone rich :)

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:27 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:"I graduated with 5k in debt .... but one of my friends goes to GWU and she has 210k in debt for undergrad. I feel bad for her."

":shock: Wow. I feel bad for her too..."

"Goodness, that sucks. Isn't that what financial aid is supposed to prevent?"

"Wow, if her parents really did make high enough salaries to count their daughter out of need-based aid, they did her a major disservice by not saving for her college education. Not to pick on your friend and her family, but wow. That's just awful."

I know this is an old conversation, but I have to comment. You guys feel bad for this girl? Really? She made the decision to spend at least $210,000 to obtain a degree that is almost entirely worthless in the job market, and yet the culpability lies with her parents or the financial aid system? Whatever happened to the concept of responsibility for one's own actions?
First just because you "feel bad" for another doesn't mean you've deemed them inculpable. The student is certainly at least partially responsible for making such a poor financial decision. Second, if you're suggesting 18 year old kids are well-positioned to make such important financial decision without any guidance whatsoever, I have to disagree. Third I don't think there's any refuting that her parents screwed her big-time if the actual circumstances were as the PP suggested.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:28 pm

I have about $17k which should increase to $19-20k while interest is accruing during LS.

Did anyone's parents take out significant ParentsPlus loans to cover undergrad, or am I unique in this regard?

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:42 pm

First just because you "feel bad" for another doesn't mean you've deemed them inculpable.
True, but when you explicitly blame everyone but the person who actually made the decision, that's exactly what you imply.
Second, if you're suggesting 18 year old kids are well-positioned to make such important financial decision without any guidance whatsoever, I have to disagree.
First, she was probably at least 22 by the time she graduated. She followed through on the decision for four years. At any time during that period, she could have transferred or changed her major to a more economically viable one.

As far as guidance is concerned, we don't disagree. Frankly, I believe that the financial aid system needs serious reform. At the very least, high school and college guidance counselors should sit down with students and discuss a basic cost-benefit analysis of their expected degrees.

However, none of the criticism in prior posts was about guidance. It was about money. The prior posters think that Mommy and Daddy should have paid for college. I think that they had a far bigger responsibility to teach her how to make adult decisions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

slider

Bronze

Post by slider » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:53 pm

undergrad loans > my mortgage :(

Bulls

New

Post by Bulls » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:11 pm

gatorlion wrote:ZERO. I actually made money in college after merit scholarships.

Thanks, Florida Bright Futures!
+1 but with maybe 3k in credit card debt

NervousInKC

Bronze

Post by NervousInKC » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:16 pm

Zero. Thank you mommy and daddy. :D
I know they are happy to get me out of their pockets when I graduate. haha

Muddy

New

Post by Muddy » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:35 pm

sanpiero wrote:I have about $17k which should increase to $19-20k while interest is accruing during LS.

Did anyone's parents take out significant ParentsPlus loans to cover undergrad, or am I unique in this regard?
Mine did. They planned to pay for everything, then the economy happened. Their business suffered and they weren't able to pay so they had to take out major loans since I was at a private school. Thankfully, they didn't make me transfer. I want to pay all my law school bills.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

acoon624

New

Post by acoon624 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:14 am

I'll be coming out with 60k (parents couldn't help out too much)...I'm looking to go to a TTT near me and live at home rent-free for the years I'm at law school (I don't know of any scholarship offers, I just got accepted via status checker)...I have connections in state government and private practice so it shouldn't be too hard to find a job coming out...is this bad?
Last edited by acoon624 on Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

jl2032

Bronze

Post by jl2032 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:20 am

When I went to school, financial aid was given in the form of loans.

My school has since changed its policy to give grants instead - NO LOANS. If only I had been born a few years later...

Either way, I got a REALLY good job and paid off my loans (around 25k) in less than a year.

fewds320

New

Post by fewds320 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:04 pm

Penn State blows. I've got $100k in undergraduate debt, and that's the cheapest University in the state of Pennsylvania, and is state-funded. $13-$14k per year for in-state residents is absurd compared to, all 49 other states.

So, 12-14k a year in loans, with another $10k in living expenses each year.. and that was the cheapest option available to me because I had the misfortune of being born in Pennsylvania.

bigchris1313

New

Post by bigchris1313 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:17 pm

fewds320 wrote:Penn State blows. I've got $100k in undergraduate debt, and that's the cheapest University in the state of Pennsylvania, and is state-funded. $13-$14k per year for in-state residents is absurd compared to, all 49 other states.

So, 12-14k a year in loans, with another $10k in living expenses each year.. and that was the cheapest option available to me because I had the misfortune of being born in Pennsylvania.
Don't feel too bad. Within 5-10 years, I'm going to feel pretty awful for the crop of Freshmen accepting offers to the once-moderately priced UC system.

Per the original question, I found out that my parents did in fact love me when I watched my father write my first tuition check.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:50 pm

slider wrote:undergrad & grad loans > my mortgage :(
x2 with correction :lol:

revrocksteady

New

Post by revrocksteady » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:13 am

the 59k I have in loans pretty much levels out against the T2 scholarships I am considering. By the end of law school, it will feel as if I paid full sticker price for my law school education, but at least it helps my personal end tally!

Anyone else stuck choosing a less desirable city to curb debt compared to a better market/worse school? :?

I feel lucky that I paid off all my credit card debt last year.

I bought a scratch ticket last week. No win there :(
Last edited by revrocksteady on Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

LegalGENius

New

Post by LegalGENius » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:15 am

gatorlion wrote:ZERO. I actually made money in college after merit scholarships.

Thanks, Florida Bright Futures!
+1 :lol:

JuTMSY4

Bronze

Post by JuTMSY4 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:19 am

fewds320 wrote:Penn State blows. I've got $100k in undergraduate debt, and that's the cheapest University in the state of Pennsylvania, and is state-funded. $13-$14k per year for in-state residents is absurd compared to, all 49 other states.

No it isn't...

Its a state related institution (like Pitt and Temple). There's the PASSHE system for true PA state schools where tuitions about 6 grand a year:

--LinkRemoved--

If its all paid by loans you're looking at 60-70k in total COA (give or take)...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

renee1693

New

Post by renee1693 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:04 pm

kp009 wrote:100K+ and I kick myself for it every day now that I've decided to go to law school...it's really effecting my decision on where to apply/attend. Went in freshman year with good financial aid which somehow disappeared after that first year. Too late to change it now and I loved my undergrad experience, but I'll be kicking myself for it for many many years to come.
+1

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:13 pm

I put myself through college on loans...........I could have predicted many of the posters that had college given to them......just saying.

gatorgirl4life

Bronze

Post by gatorgirl4life » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:03 pm

none. go gators :D

gatorlion

Bronze

Post by gatorlion » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:10 pm

gatorgirl4life wrote:none. go gators :D
PLUS ONE: Between FL Bright Futures, FL Prepaid, and merit scholarships, I made money by going to UF.

EDIT: April Fools. UGH
Last edited by gatorlion on Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

violinst

Bronze

Post by violinst » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:17 pm

Had a full-tuition scholarship, but took a subsidized loan to cover living costs (parents contributed none). 23K here. Haven't paid a cent yet, since I having been getting interest-free deferments as a continuing student. The lender must hate me since I am going to get another 3-year deferment (unless I drop out of LS, which I don't want to think about.)

Got paid to get a graduate degree. That was nice.

HazelEyes

Bronze

Post by HazelEyes » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:31 pm

I knew my parents couldn't afford to pay one dime towards my tuition. I also knew that they never filed their taxes on time and would often withhold financial info for FAFSA on purpose.

Went to a cheap, good, public, city college. Worked full time throughout college, and graduated with less than 4,000 in loans.

Can't imagine why anyone would take out loans over 20,000 for undergrad. It's UNDERGRAD.

I'm also glad I didn't let anyone talk me into taking out crazy loans, like the financial aid office. I worked really hard for 4 years, but now I don't have a shadow hanging over my head.

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:36 pm

NervousInKC wrote:Zero. Thank you mommy and daddy. :D
I know they are happy to get me out of their pockets when I graduate. haha
You haven't seen the job market yet, have you?

violinst

Bronze

Post by violinst » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:45 pm

HazelEyes wrote:I knew my parents couldn't afford to pay one dime towards my tuition. I also knew that they never filed their taxes on time and would often withhold financial info for FAFSA on purpose.

Went to a cheap, good, public, city college. Worked full time throughout college, and graduated with less than 4,000 in loans.

Can't imagine why anyone would take out loans over 20,000 for undergrad. It's UNDERGRAD.

I'm also glad I didn't let anyone talk me into taking out crazy loans, like the financial aid office. I worked really hard for 4 years, but now I don't have a shadow hanging over my head.
Why not a subsidized loan? It's interest free as long as you are a student. It's a good investment strategy, and there is no incentive for me to pay off the loan (I could, if I want to right now) until I get out of school completely (being a part-time student also qualifies me for deferments in my case).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”