How much undergraduate debt did you graduate with?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.

How much undergraduate debt did you graduate with?

Debt Free (No federal, personal or private loans to repay)
245
40%
Less than 10K
62
10%
Between 10-25K
154
25%
Between 25-50K
76
13%
Between 50-75K
38
6%
Between 75-85K
13
2%
Between 85-100K
8
1%
More than 100K
12
2%
 
Total votes: 608

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

How much undergraduate debt did you graduate with?

Postby JJDancer » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:31 pm

By debt I mean any federal, PLUS, personal or private loans.

Thanks

User avatar
elliefont
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: How much undergraduate debt did you graduate with?

Postby elliefont » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:35 pm

answer: way too much considering I had full tuition scholarship. besides jobs for some extra cash, every single other expense was covered by loans. :cry:

User avatar
Aeroplane
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: How much undergraduate debt did you graduate with?

Postby Aeroplane » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:41 pm

A bit under $25K. One private Citibank loan and Staffords. I paid back the private loan in full within about a year of graduation. The remainder is about half subsidized Stafford and half unsubsidized, consolidated at very low interest. I won't ever pay more than the minimum payments on that, even if I win the lottery.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: How much undergraduate debt did you graduate with?

Postby rayiner » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:16 pm

ZIppo. My undergraduate cost about $12k/year for everything when I started. It was around $15k/year when I graduated. My parents covered tuition + housing and I covered the rest with summer job money.

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: How much undergraduate debt did you graduate with?

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:18 pm

20k, all of which was paid off within the year

User avatar
gatorlion
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 am

Re: How much undergraduate debt did you graduate with?

Postby gatorlion » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:26 pm

ZERO. I actually made money in college after merit scholarships.

Thanks, Florida Bright Futures!

User avatar
sf87
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:25 am

Re: How much undergraduate debt did you graduate with?

Postby sf87 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:30 pm

Zeroo

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: How much undergraduate debt did you graduate with?

Postby rayiner » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:33 pm

sf87 wrote:Zeroo


Stripping that lucrative?

User avatar
sf87
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:25 am

Re: How much undergraduate debt did you graduate with?

Postby sf87 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:06 pm

rayiner wrote:
sf87 wrote:Zeroo


Stripping that lucrative?


sadly, i work in retail. my job had nothing to do with me having no debt :)

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: How much undergraduate debt did you graduate with?

Postby 06132010 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:28 pm

23K

User avatar
toolshed
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:35 pm

Re: How much undergraduate debt did you graduate with?

Postby toolshed » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:35 pm

Zero. Cash in pocket with bonus schollys.

User avatar
pu_golf88
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 1:34 am

Re: How much undergraduate debt did you graduate with?

Postby pu_golf88 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:12 am

Debt free is the way for me!

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: How much undergraduate debt did you graduate with?

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:47 am

.
Last edited by 03121202698008 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LawandOrder
Posts: 611
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:36 pm

Re: How much undergraduate debt did you graduate with?

Postby LawandOrder » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:13 am

Zero. Parents paid.

Kant
Posts: 119
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:47 pm

Re: How much undergraduate debt did you graduate with?

Postby Kant » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:53 pm

I feel like a lot of those trust fund children took this poll. How I hate you all!

User avatar
SamSeaborn2016
Posts: 412
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:07 pm

Re: How much undergraduate debt did you graduate with?

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:58 pm

I came out with about $15k in debt. Loans and some scholarship money took care of tuition and I worked as a resident assistant to cover my room and board. I survived on what little bit I scraped together off my student loans and my RA stipend ($75/month)

User avatar
the fledgling
Posts: 295
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:57 pm

Re: How much undergraduate debt did you graduate with?

Postby the fledgling » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:01 pm

Kant wrote:I feel like a lot of those trust fund children took this poll. How I hate you all!


Or full scholly-kids. This is top law schools.com (not to sound elitist).

Justiz
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:50 pm

Re: How much undergraduate debt did you graduate with?

Postby Justiz » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:03 pm

about $30k and now racking up another $38k for my MBA because I dont want to participate in the company reimbursement program so I can leave when I am done and rack up more debt in law school...

The way I look at it though school loans aren't real debt.

Consumer debt is what messes people up the most.

User avatar
lawlover829
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 9:40 pm

Re: How much undergraduate debt did you graduate with?

Postby lawlover829 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:12 pm

the fledgling wrote:
Kant wrote:I feel like a lot of those trust fund children took this poll. How I hate you all!


Or full scholly-kids. This is top law schools.com (not to sound elitist).


:)

good point.

I graduated with 5k in debt .... but one of my friends goes to GWU and she has 210k in debt for undergrad. I feel bad for her.

User avatar
strawberryfanta
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:49 am

Re: How much undergraduate debt did you graduate with?

Postby strawberryfanta » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:16 pm

Justiz wrote:about $30k and now racking up another $38k for my MBA because I dont want to participate in the company reimbursement program so I can leave when I am done and rack up more debt in law school...

The way I look at it though school loans aren't real debt.

Consumer debt is what messes people up the most.


:shock:

findlayswimmer28
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:08 am

Re: How much undergraduate debt did you graduate with?

Postby findlayswimmer28 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:17 pm

I came out with close to $100K and have paid off about $16K in one year. I went to a private school with a small academic scholarship, no parental assistance whatsoever, and was forced to live in the dorms until I was a junior. I only took out what was needed and still had to work full-time just to pay for books, food, and rent once I moved off campus. Oh and I completed my science degree in 3.5 years. I never would have taken out so much if the financial aid person had given me sound advice. Instead, I was told that I would have plenty of time to pay them off and that the payments would be low. I didn't count on not being able to find a job when I graduated. I ended up taking the only science related job I could find at $10/hr.

Fortunately for me, law school is only going to cost me $30K, worst case scenario since I have a pretty hefty scholarship and I don't have to borrow for COL. I figure by the end, I have a debt load that is comparable to most people coming out of law school.

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: How much undergraduate debt did you graduate with?

Postby 02082010 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:21 pm

$7000.

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: How much undergraduate debt did you graduate with?

Postby Moxie » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:34 pm

Surprised that the poll results are so low (financially), I will graduate next year with about $25k, all the rest covered by financial aid (sadly, my UG doesn't offer merit-based aid).

Although I've loved my time at my UG (relatively small, private, in the suburbs), I would've given my state school a second glance if I realized how little it would matter for graduate school admissions.

User avatar
the fledgling
Posts: 295
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:57 pm

Re: How much undergraduate debt did you graduate with?

Postby the fledgling » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:35 pm

lawlover829 wrote:I graduated with 5k in debt .... but one of my friends goes to GWU and she has 210k in debt for undergrad. I feel bad for her.


:shock: Wow. I feel bad for her too...

User avatar
lawlover829
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 9:40 pm

Re: How much undergraduate debt did you graduate with?

Postby lawlover829 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:37 pm

findlayswimmer28 wrote:I came out with close to $100K and have paid off about $16K in one year. I went to a private school with a small academic scholarship, no parental assistance whatsoever, and was forced to live in the dorms until I was a junior. I only took out what was needed and still had to work full-time just to pay for books, food, and rent once I moved off campus. Oh and I completed my science degree in 3.5 years. I never would have taken out so much if the financial aid person had given me sound advice. Instead, I was told that I would have plenty of time to pay them off and that the payments would be low. I didn't count on not being able to find a job when I graduated. I ended up taking the only science related job I could find at $10/hr.

Fortunately for me, law school is only going to cost me $30K, worst case scenario since I have a pretty hefty scholarship and I don't have to borrow for COL. I figure by the end, I have a debt load that is comparable to most people coming out of law school.


:) Wow. I'm glad law school worked out. I'm still struggling to pay my debt and congrats to paying 16k in one year.




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Sawtooth and 3 guests