Creative ways to negotiate scholarship??

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.

Creative ways to negotiate scholarship??

Postby Jams10 » Fri May 08, 2009 9:23 am

I need some creative ideas on negotiating a scholarship. I have no competing offers-this is the only school I applied to. I was actually offered 7,000 per year, for PT. Which sounds good, but I'm still looking at $70,000 of debt. Since I've already got that 7k a year, what can I do to ask for more money??? Even a few thousand more a year would really help, but I don't know how to ask for it without looking greedy and ungrateful??

I heard of someone saying they would transfer to a cheaper school after 1L, but doesn't that sound like a crazy thing to say to a school that just accepted you??

Re: Creative ways to negotiate scholarship??

Postby kurla88 » Fri May 08, 2009 9:29 am

I wouldn't mention transferring. o.O

Say something like "I don't know if I feel comfortable attending law school at all if I need to take on so much debt". It probably won't work.

Postby Ali » Mon May 11, 2009 1:35 pm

I'm in sort of the same situation.
My scholarship was based on merit. But I never heard anything on Need Based Aid and I'm really needy...who isn't though.
But seriously, my credit is bad and I don't think I can get the private loans.

So how do we ask for more money? I don't have any money from peer schools to throw at them.
anyone had any success with this?

Postby snotrocket » Mon May 11, 2009 1:38 pm

Not an area where "creativity" is going to buy you anything. You either have leverage or you don't. If you have it, then use it. If not, then be glad for what you got.

Postby PhantaManta » Mon May 11, 2009 1:41 pm

Drew Rosenhaus.

Postby Fevsi » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:58 am

you can "negotiate" if you have bargaining power. If not, you still can ask politely. Sometimes it works. But threats like "I'll transfer" are big no-no.

Return to “Financial Aid”