Food Stamps and other government aid..

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Food Stamps and other government aid..

Postby dextermorgan » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:01 pm

stlcardsfan wrote:Actually the rightfully elected one and his liberal cronies mean for everybody to receive government aid for everything.

Fixed.

I am glad that people in school are automatically disqualified from food stamps here. Remember there are only so many dollars to go around, especially now, and you may well be taking food from the mouths of needy children.

User avatar
misteranthro
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: Food Stamps and other government aid..

Postby misteranthro » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:20 pm

It isn't like the $40K most lawyers will pay a year in taxes won't more than make up for the $6K over three years maximum benefit. If you are going into public interest and putting in all that work to better this country for a salary of $40K total, then this should be a non-issue. If you qualify, then use it. From the SNAP budget last year, about $2.5M went unused. No starving kids were harmed by law students if there was money left over.

User avatar
JuryDueT1000
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:01 pm

Re: Food Stamps and other government aid..

Postby JuryDueT1000 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:26 pm

You people are fucking pathetic.

User avatar
tchadwick
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:45 am

Re: Food Stamps and other government aid..

Postby tchadwick » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:42 pm

dextermorgan wrote:
stlcardsfan wrote:Actually the rightfully elected one and his liberal cronies mean for everybody to receive government aid for everything.

Fixed.


A little off-topic, but I appreciate this response.

How many of you have seen Fox news say that real Americans need to fight the tyranny of the current government? Hm. What was that thing we did last November again? Where we all stood in a line and cast a ballot?

Sore losers.

musicfor18
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: Food Stamps and other government aid..

Postby musicfor18 » Mon May 10, 2010 8:40 pm

I'm resurrecting this thread because it's relevant to my current situation. What if I'm going to law school and my wife will have to stay home to take care of newborn baby? We'll have no earned income and the amount of loans will not cover all expenses. The school I'll be attending specifically told me they can't increase the COA attendance for loans to cover family member expenses, including a child.

I would happily take out additional loans, but I can't. So, will we eligible for any kind of government assistance?

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: Food Stamps and other government aid..

Postby trialjunky » Thu May 13, 2010 7:22 am

musicfor18 wrote:I'm resurrecting this thread because it's relevant to my current situation. What if I'm going to law school and my wife will have to stay home to take care of newborn baby? We'll have no earned income and the amount of loans will not cover all expenses. The school I'll be attending specifically told me they can't increase the COA attendance for loans to cover family member expenses, including a child.

I would happily take out additional loans, but I can't. So, will we eligible for any kind of government assistance?



I believe you would, under her application for it your loans shouldn't be counted.

yeff
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:32 pm

Re: Food Stamps and other government aid..

Postby yeff » Thu May 13, 2010 7:46 am

musicfor18,

In addition to SNAP, see if you'll qualify for the WIC program.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/default.htm

AngelAuthor
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:43 pm

Re: Food Stamps and other government aid..

Postby AngelAuthor » Fri May 14, 2010 8:34 pm

stlcardsfan wrote:Actually the chosen one and his liberal cronies mean for everybody to receive government aid for everything.

QFT

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Food Stamps and other government aid..

Postby robin600 » Fri May 28, 2010 6:07 pm

Brandimc wrote:Taken directly from the Government website for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, fondly known as th food stamp program... (--LinkRemoved--)

Most able-bodied students ages 18 through 49 who are enrolled in college or other institutions of higher education at least half time are not eligible for SNAP benefits. However, students may be able to get SNAP benefits if otherwise eligible and they:
Get public assistance benefits under a Title IV-A program;

Take part in a State or federally financed work study program;

Work at least 20 hours a week;

Are taking care of a dependent household member under the age of 6;

Are taking care of a dependent household member over the age of 5 but under 12 and do not have adequate child care to enable them to attend school and work a minimum of 20 hours, or to take part in a State or federally financed work study program; or

Are assigned to or placed in a college or certain other schools through:
A program under the Workforce Investment Act of 1998,
A program under Section 236 of the Trade Act of 1974,
An employment and training program under the Food Stamp Act, or
An employment and training program operated by a State or local government.
Also, a single parent enrolled full time in college and taking care of a dependent household member under the age of 12 can get SNAP benefits if otherwise eligible.


Moral of the story: If you qualify, go for it. Most of us probably won't. So have some dignity and take out loans intended for higher education purposes. They already take into consideration the cost of food.


Sorry if this was already answered but I didn't want to go through 4 pages of rants. I'm in Michigan, and my roommate and some of my friends get "Bridge cards" which are like food stamps, but it's run by the state of Michigan (I think). Doesn't every state have different qualifications. In MI, it's really easy to get a bridge card, I even tutored athletes who were on full scholarship who had them, but that's not my point. I'm just asking if each state has different guidelines so is it dependent upon where you go to law school?

Amusei
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:15 am

Re: Food Stamps and other government aid..

Postby Amusei » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:54 am

This is BS.

No, students should not get food stamps. Period. In case none of you are fully aware, taxes taken from the workin' folks are giving to the government and, eventually, an amount towards federal nutrition aid.

Guess who are some (a surprising number) of the people using food stamps: men and women who can't get their stuff together and quit making babies they can't afford, lazy people, and people who "can't find a job" when really they "can't suck up their pride and work at McDonalds for more than they're getting in unemployment."

Obviously, that is not all people. Many, many genuinely need it. But keep in mind that once you're making decent money as a lawyer (fingers crossed), your money is more taxable than other's. Nevermind the fact that you slaved in law school for three years, wracked up hundreds of thousands in debt, and actually made something of your life. You make more money so you get taxed more.

So, therefore, students should not get food stamps.
Sorry if this was already answered but I didn't want to go through 4 pages of rants. I'm in Michigan, and my roommate and some of my friends get "Bridge cards" which are like food stamps, but it's run by the state of Michigan (I think). Doesn't every state have different qualifications. In MI, it's really easy to get a bridge card, I even tutored athletes who were on full scholarship who had them, but that's not my point. I'm just asking if each state has different guidelines so is it dependent upon where you go to law school?

Yes, every state is different. I'm from Michigan, too, and Bridge Cards are absurdly easy to get. But in California, where I'm going to law school, being a student (and not working) automatically disqualifies you from nutrition aid.

DaBears
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 1:19 pm

Re: Food Stamps and other government aid..

Postby DaBears » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:22 am

jaen78 wrote:Wow....and people wonder why our country is running such an absurd deficit. Here's the answer.




This person is complete fuckin idiot and has no idea what they're talking about.

User avatar
SamSeaborn2016
Posts: 412
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:07 pm

Re: Food Stamps and other government aid..

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:45 am

robin600 wrote:
Brandimc wrote:Taken directly from the Government website for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, fondly known as th food stamp program... (--LinkRemoved--)

Most able-bodied students ages 18 through 49 who are enrolled in college or other institutions of higher education at least half time are not eligible for SNAP benefits. However, students may be able to get SNAP benefits if otherwise eligible and they:
Get public assistance benefits under a Title IV-A program;

Take part in a State or federally financed work study program;

Work at least 20 hours a week;

Are taking care of a dependent household member under the age of 6;

Are taking care of a dependent household member over the age of 5 but under 12 and do not have adequate child care to enable them to attend school and work a minimum of 20 hours, or to take part in a State or federally financed work study program; or

Are assigned to or placed in a college or certain other schools through:
A program under the Workforce Investment Act of 1998,
A program under Section 236 of the Trade Act of 1974,
An employment and training program under the Food Stamp Act, or
An employment and training program operated by a State or local government.
Also, a single parent enrolled full time in college and taking care of a dependent household member under the age of 12 can get SNAP benefits if otherwise eligible.


Moral of the story: If you qualify, go for it. Most of us probably won't. So have some dignity and take out loans intended for higher education purposes. They already take into consideration the cost of food.


Sorry if this was already answered but I didn't want to go through 4 pages of rants. I'm in Michigan, and my roommate and some of my friends get "Bridge cards" which are like food stamps, but it's run by the state of Michigan (I think). Doesn't every state have different qualifications. In MI, it's really easy to get a bridge card, I even tutored athletes who were on full scholarship who had them, but that's not my point. I'm just asking if each state has different guidelines so is it dependent upon where you go to law school?


I know Oregon and a lot of other states use the SNAP qualifications. The actual benefits are made available though an EBT card called "Oregon Trail."

(SNAP)
AR, CT, DC, GA, HI, IL, LA, MA, MS, MT, ND, NE, NM, NV, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, VA, WV, WY
25

Food Supplement Program
DE, MD, ME
3

Food Stamp Program (FSP)
AK, CA, ID, IN, KY, MO, NH, NJ, NY, UT
10

Food Assistance Program
AL, CO, FL, IA, KS, MI, OH
7
Other
AZ, MN, NC, VT, WA, WI
6
http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=618

stj2013
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:55 pm

Re: Food Stamps and other government aid..

Postby stj2013 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:19 pm

I know quite a few people who were on food stamps in undergrad. You shouldn't be forced to go into debt to eat, if you are legitimately willing to work. Just because you are in school doesn't mean you can find a job if you want one. It took me 6 months to find a retail job for minimum wage. (I applied to McDonalds and Walmart multiple times, didn't even get an interview. fml.) Its going to cost the country more in healthcare in the long run for all the college kids living off ramen, then subsidizing them to eat healthy to begin with.

User avatar
Notor
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 11:32 am

Re: Food Stamps and other government aid..

Postby Notor » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:45 pm

If you qualify for food stamps there is no shame in accepting them, especially if you are debt-financing your education. The interest you will pay on your loans and the taxes you will pay as a productive member of society will more than make up for the paltry sum that it takes to cover food stamps.

If the government is going to allow students to mortgage their future, the least they can do is throw in some groceries.

runandplay
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:23 pm

Re: Food Stamps and other government aid..

Postby runandplay » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:41 pm

How is it taking advantage of a program when it specifically qualifies students? I am applying for food stamps and I will pay them back with my 50+ years of taxes when I graduate law school.

ajmanyjah
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Food Stamps and other government aid..

Postby ajmanyjah » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:33 pm

robin600 wrote:
Brandimc wrote:Taken directly from the Government website for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, fondly known as th food stamp program... (--LinkRemoved--)

Most able-bodied students ages 18 through 49 who are enrolled in college or other institutions of higher education at least half time are not eligible for SNAP benefits. However, students may be able to get SNAP benefits if otherwise eligible and they:
Get public assistance benefits under a Title IV-A program;

Take part in a State or federally financed work study program;

Work at least 20 hours a week;

Are taking care of a dependent household member under the age of 6;

Are taking care of a dependent household member over the age of 5 but under 12 and do not have adequate child care to enable them to attend school and work a minimum of 20 hours, or to take part in a State or federally financed work study program; or

Are assigned to or placed in a college or certain other schools through:
A program under the Workforce Investment Act of 1998,
A program under Section 236 of the Trade Act of 1974,
An employment and training program under the Food Stamp Act, or
An employment and training program operated by a State or local government.
Also, a single parent enrolled full time in college and taking care of a dependent household member under the age of 12 can get SNAP benefits if otherwise eligible.


Moral of the story: If you qualify, go for it. Most of us probably won't. So have some dignity and take out loans intended for higher education purposes. They already take into consideration the cost of food.


Sorry if this was already answered but I didn't want to go through 4 pages of rants. I'm in Michigan, and my roommate and some of my friends get "Bridge cards" which are like food stamps, but it's run by the state of Michigan (I think). Doesn't every state have different qualifications. In MI, it's really easy to get a bridge card, I even tutored athletes who were on full scholarship who had them, but that's not my point. I'm just asking if each state has different guidelines so is it dependent upon where you go to law school?



When it comes to a lot of full time athletes I knew, they had tuition paid for, but they certainly didn't have their cost of living taken care of...not to mention the opportunity cost lost by not working---or the fact that for a lot of sports, the NCAA and sponsors and the rest were making mint off their backs...

User avatar
jennylynn
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:38 pm

Re: Food Stamps and other government aid..

Postby jennylynn » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:22 pm

Wow....just....wow....




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest