Food Stamps and other government aid..

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
choppa5

Food Stamps and other government aid..

Postby choppa5 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:59 pm

I know alot of you are gonna think this is a pretty sleazy thing to ask about... but alas, I think it could make for a good discussion...

When I was in undergrad working my work study job in concessions at the campus stadium (big school, big sports, big stadium) and there was a girl who, with pride, told me she collected food stamps. This had never occurred to me (still being under my parent's wings).. but it has crossed my mind as I look at how much law school is gonna cost me...

Anyone have any experience with this? I cannot even believe that students are eligible at all??

Dayton

Re: Food Stamps and other government aid..

Postby Dayton » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:17 pm

I know a lot of people who received foodstamps in undergrad. As long as you do not live on campus AND the amount of loans you pulled out to live on is not over the poverty level established by the county to receive them, you can get foodstamps. I currently receive foodstamps because I'm in AmeriCorps and I think you have to be at or below 130% of the poverty line which in my county was about $1100/month for 1. I totally intend on reapplying during school, no shame in my game. I don't have a family safety net and I will already be pulling out an ungodly about of loans so this makes things a lot easier for me. I worked full-time through undergrad to support myself and if I could do it again I'd apply for foodstamps in a second.

choppa5

Postby choppa5 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:48 am

I am looking into this..
Would the loan money I get for living expenses be considered "Unearned Income"?

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:52 am

This is terrible. Food stamps aren't meant for law students. I understand the taking advantage of anything you can, but seriously? Government food assistance programs for someone voluntarily getting a professional degree?

zyxwvut7

Postby zyxwvut7 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:58 am

Not meant for you.

Aeroplane

Postby Aeroplane » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:03 am

Last edited by Aeroplane on Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

misteranthro

Postby misteranthro » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:16 pm

I put in an email a few minutes ago to the SNAP (new name for Food Stamps Program) directly. I am really interested in what they have to say. I stated everything in a forthright manner, and asked if I would qualify once in school. Once I get a definitive response, I will post again.

allenfa

Postby allenfa » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:25 pm

choppa5 wrote:I am looking into this..
Would the loan money I get for living expenses be considered "Unearned Income"?

I believe educational loans and grants are exempt from being considered as income for purposes of cash aid and food stamps.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:31 pm

If I were you, I would also look into local homeless shelters. Just don't rent a place, and carry your belongings on a stick with a bag tied to the end. Homeless shelter + food stamps = savings win!

Also... I would advise going to a school near a soup kitchen, that way you save money AND don't have to cook dinner!

misteranthro

Postby misteranthro » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:52 pm

Blindmelon wrote:If I were you, I would also look into local homeless shelters. Just don't rent a place, and carry your belongings on a stick with a bag tied to the end. Homeless shelter + food stamps = savings win!

Also... I would advise going to a school near a soup kitchen, that way you save money AND don't have to cook dinner!

What a fine idea. If I were you, I would pay for every cent of my education at full cost. I would turn down the Stafford and Perkins loans too, as it would be unethical to pay a lower interest rate just because you qualify for a government program intended to assist those in need.

DavidYurman85

Postby DavidYurman85 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:54 pm

I am still in UG. LOTS of kids do this.

jaen78

Postby jaen78 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:59 pm

Wow....and people wonder why our country is running such an absurd deficit. Here's the answer.

Dick Whitman

Postby Dick Whitman » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:00 pm

Blindmelon wrote:If I were you, I would also look into local homeless shelters. Just don't rent a place, and carry your belongings on a stick with a bag tied to the end. Homeless shelter + food stamps = savings win!

Most people who eat at soup kitchens aren't homeless.

misteranthro

Postby misteranthro » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:18 pm

jaen78 wrote:Wow....and people wonder why our country is running such an absurd deficit. Here's the answer.

The $40 Billion it costs to run the food stamp program is not the problem. GM and Chrysler blew through that much aid in less than a quarter, and WTF did that do for society?

jaen78

Postby jaen78 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:32 pm

This is clearly not the sole problem, but it certainly doesn't help. The fact that so many people have the mentality that the government owes them something is the real problem. Take out a loan and pay it back like every other responsible person does. And if you can't manage that, don't go to law school. (I'll make a few exceptions for those who went bankrupt and can't take out federal loans or other rare circumstances.)

stlcardsfan

Postby stlcardsfan » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:32 pm

Actually the chosen one and his liberal cronies mean for everybody to receive government aid for everything.

Jones, Dow

Postby Jones, Dow » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:34 pm

Here's to hoping jaen78 doesn't lose all of his money and can't find a job in the immediate future...

blondie

Postby blondie » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:36 pm

I intend on applying for food stamps while in school. The state of Massachusetts' food stamps website says directly that students are elligible. I really don't see anything wrong with this, nor do I think it is an abuse of the system. Some people may disagree, so I guess those people shouldn't get them. :|

I don't think that I am owed anything, I just believe that if I want them and I am qualified, then why not? I pay taxes.

Aeroplane

Postby Aeroplane » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:37 pm

Last edited by Aeroplane on Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:54 pm

There is certainly nothing wrong with students being eligible for food stamps. Sure it is likely that they are voluntarily attending school rather than working, but in many cases those food stamps will help someone who could not otherwise afford to get further education. It essentially functions as a form of need-based financial aid.

Fup

Postby Fup » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:59 pm

If I can get food stamps while in law school, I would definitely do it. I personally think its absurd public policy to permit ordinary college students (by this, I mean young people with no income who can borrow enough money to cover living expenses) to be on food stamps, but if the government permits it, I might as well take advantage of it. I could potentially save thousands of dollars while I'm in college, and considering that I'll spend the next few decades paying income taxes to support wasteful spending (such as, giving food stamps to college students) I might as well take advantage of the system when I can.

choppa5

Postby choppa5 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:41 am

Wow, I am really surprised by how many people are ok with this.. its making me feel better about wanting to take advantage of the social program for sure.

I am also in Massachusetts and they have an online calculator where you can estimate your benefits, I came out with about $160 a month, it doesn't sound like much.. but everything helps out..

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:57 am

misteranthro wrote:

What a fine idea. If I were you, I would pay for every cent of my education at full cost. I would turn down the Stafford and Perkins loans too, as it would be unethical to pay a lower interest rate just because you qualify for a government program intended to assist those in need.

I will be using those loan programs for their intended use. I don't think the Food Stamp program was put in place to help the future lawyers of the world. You are just contributing to the reason why people are opposed to so many social welfare programs, because people who don't essentially need the services indulge in them. Anyway, no point in continuing to argue online, I'm out of this thread.

Brandimc

Postby Brandimc » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:36 am

Taken directly from the Government website for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, fondly known as th food stamp program... (--LinkRemoved--)

Most able-bodied students ages 18 through 49 who are enrolled in college or other institutions of higher education at least half time are not eligible for SNAP benefits. However, students may be able to get SNAP benefits if otherwise eligible and they:
Get public assistance benefits under a Title IV-A program;

Take part in a State or federally financed work study program;

Work at least 20 hours a week;

Are taking care of a dependent household member under the age of 6;

Are taking care of a dependent household member over the age of 5 but under 12 and do not have adequate child care to enable them to attend school and work a minimum of 20 hours, or to take part in a State or federally financed work study program; or

Are assigned to or placed in a college or certain other schools through:
A program under the Workforce Investment Act of 1998,
A program under Section 236 of the Trade Act of 1974,
An employment and training program under the Food Stamp Act, or
An employment and training program operated by a State or local government.
Also, a single parent enrolled full time in college and taking care of a dependent household member under the age of 12 can get SNAP benefits if otherwise eligible.

Moral of the story: If you qualify, go for it. Most of us probably won't. So have some dignity and take out loans intended for higher education purposes. They already take into consideration the cost of food.

choppa5

Postby choppa5 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:43 am

Brandimc wrote:Taken directly from the Government website for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, fondly known as th food stamp program... (--LinkRemoved--)

Most able-bodied students ages 18 through 49 who are enrolled in college or other institutions of higher education at least half time are not eligible for SNAP benefits. However, students may be able to get SNAP benefits if otherwise eligible and they:
Get public assistance benefits under a Title IV-A program;

Take part in a State or federally financed work study program;

Work at least 20 hours a week;

Are taking care of a dependent household member under the age of 6;

Are taking care of a dependent household member over the age of 5 but under 12 and do not have adequate child care to enable them to attend school and work a minimum of 20 hours, or to take part in a State or federally financed work study program; or

Are assigned to or placed in a college or certain other schools through:
A program under the Workforce Investment Act of 1998,
A program under Section 236 of the Trade Act of 1974,
An employment and training program under the Food Stamp Act, or
An employment and training program operated by a State or local government.
Also, a single parent enrolled full time in college and taking care of a dependent household member under the age of 12 can get SNAP benefits if otherwise eligible.

Moral of the story: If you qualify, go for it. Most of us probably won't. So have some dignity and take out loans intended for higher education purposes. They already take into consideration the cost of food.

These stipulations really say it all. For those of you that think taking advantage of aid is the lazy man's way out.. if you are working and going to school, you clearly aren't lazy.

Return to “Financial Aid”