lsac fee waiver

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
jtis

lsac fee waiver

Postby jtis » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:30 am

What are the stats for lsac giving a fee waiver? I think that on my tax returns for last year I earned way too much to qualify (80k), but we are a family of four.

This year my income will be much less and I really need some waivers if I am to apply so a decent amount of schools, etc.

Any help will be appreciated. Should I consider writing a supplemental letter explaing my situation?

pretzellogic

Re: lsac fee waiver

Postby pretzellogic » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:58 am

I think you may be confused. You're speaking of the cost of applying to many schools -- however the LSAC fee waiver doesn't help much with that (it'll only subsidize the 12 dollar LSAC REPORT cost). What makes an impact is a fee waiver from the school (which subsidizes the 70 or so dollar application fee).

The cost for applying to each individual school is paid to the school, not to LSAC. (It's paid *through* LSAC's website, but it goes *to* the school.) Only the marginal 12 dollar report fee is charged to LSAC.

Thus, you need to get a fee waiver from each school you apply to. I think they are pretty lenient when it comes to granting them. However, many (all?) want proof, i.e. a tax return or evidence of UG financial aid if you're still in college / just graduated or evidence of unemployment (I don't know what constitutes said evidence). If you're getting aid, that'll make it easy for you. Otherwise, you need the tax return or the evidence of unemployment.

Without a doubt, these are the fee waivers you are after, since you pointed out that you want to apply to a large number of schools. School usually charge about 70 bucks -- 10 schools will run you almost a grand!!! You need to apply to the schools for fee waivers INDIVIDUALLY and the directions are on the school's website, or maybe even in the application. (I think in the supplemental section of each school's application on LSAC.)

HOWEVER, LSAC does have a fee waiver program. BUT, if you only do the LSAC fee waiver prorgam, and apply to 10 schools, it'll still cost 700 bucks. I.e., the fee waiver is only for some LSAC charges, specifically:

Each approved LSAC fee waiver will entitle you to:
two LSATs (test dates must fall within the two-year waiver period);
an LSDAS registration, which includes the letter of recommendation service and the electronic law school application service;
four free LSDAS Law School Reports ->saves you 12 bucks x 4 reports -
–available only after LSDAS registration is complete; and
one free copy of the Official LSAT SuperPrep®.

It would've been nice to know about this before I started studying for the LSAT / taking it. I'm sure I could've gotten one -- I sure as hek don't have any money of my own.

So you know, applying to a school through LSAC actually costs 70 bucks (or whatever the school charges) PLUS 12 dollars for the LSAC "report" (i.e. your LSAT / GPA / etc.) to be customized for the school, printed, and sent to them.

SO: if you want to do this cheaply, you need to get fee waivers from BOTH the LSAC and each school you apply to. Good luck!

redcement

Postby redcement » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:06 pm

Actually, if you do get the LSAC fee waiver, most schools will automatically waive your application fee, too. But I don't think you are going to get that LSAC fee waiver. $80,000 for a family of four is not economically disadvantaged.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:08 pm

redcement wrote:Actually, if you do get the LSAC fee waiver, most schools will automatically waive your application fee, too. But I don't think you are going to get that LSAC fee waiver. $80,000 for a family of four is not economically disadvantaged.

What if they only have 2 flat screens? Think of the kids!

Lackey

Postby Lackey » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:09 pm

jtis wrote:What are the stats for lsac giving a fee waiver? I think that on my tax returns for last year I earned way too much to qualify (80k), but we are a family of four.

This year my income will be much less and I really need some waivers if I am to apply so a decent amount of schools, etc.

Any help will be appreciated. Should I consider writing a supplemental letter explaing my situation?

jtis:
I received an LSAC fee waiver, which nearly every school I applied to accepted in lieu of a fee waiver directly from them. If you do get a fee waiver through LSAC, it will automatically apply when you go to pay your application fees after submitting the application on LSAC's website. I applied to 18 schools and they all accpeted a fee waiver this way. The only school that did not automatically accept the waiver through LSAC was UT-Austin.
As for qualifying through LSAC- that is pretty difficult and I would imagine that your income would get you dinged. My wife and I were both full-time students and made hardly anything, but still got denied because we had a few thousand in the bank. I appealed and wrote them a letter explaining that we live off savings during the school year, plus I had recently gone through heart surgery and we were paying that all off. LSAC reviewed that info and granted the waiver a few days later. They were decent to work with, just a little stingy on who they give the waivers to.
If LSAC does not give you the waiver, you can speak with the schools directly. Many admissions reps I met would give waivers at Law School Fairs, and many schools have institutional waiver programs you can apply for.
And yes, as stated above, you will still have the 12 dollar app processing fee from LSAC, even if you do get the fee waivers. But that is not nearly as bad! ....
Good luck with the waivers....

jtis

Postby jtis » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:49 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
redcement wrote:Actually, if you do get the LSAC fee waiver, most schools will automatically waive your application fee, too. But I don't think you are going to get that LSAC fee waiver. $80,000 for a family of four is not economically disadvantaged.

What if they only have 2 flat screens? Think of the kids!

I only wish I had 2 flat screens!! The one I have is only a 15" for the bedroom :(

In all seriousness, I worked my ass off last year (full-time job and substitute teaching during the day) so I could buy a home for my family while I was going to keep my condo. I eventually sold my condo but I had to eat a lot of money (that friggin housing market!)

Anyways, I have cut back working only one job so I can now live like a normal person, but now my income is 40% less so the fee waiver would be a great help.

As you can tell I am a non-trad interested in Law school. Every little bit helps. Just running some number, applying to law school can cost easily 1K when you take into consideration the apps, study books, tests, etc.

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:41 pm

Does anyone know how long it takes LSAC to process a fee waiver after receiving tax forms?

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:57 pm

Ginj wrote:Does anyone know how long it takes LSAC to process a fee waiver after receiving tax forms?

It took about a day for me (faxed the tax form in after preliminary approval).

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:18 pm

jtis wrote:
Anyways, I have cut back working only one job so I can now live like a normal person, but now my income is 40% less so the fee waiver would be a great help.

Even if your income went from 80k to 48k, that's not low enough for an LSAT fee waiver. I know someone who was rejected with a 35k income and family size of 4.

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:36 pm

Fee waiver approved. Yesss. Poor enough for even LSAC to pity me.

molazapuku

Postby molazapuku » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:01 am

Kind of a mixed blessing, eh? Yay for me, I'm a charity case!

(I am not being mean...I had a fee waiver approved too. I mean, I'd rather have it than not have it because those app fees add up QUICK. Still, there is something depressing about it).

mala2

Postby mala2 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:27 am

I didn't apply before the test but I applied after because I started adding up all the costs! I got approved. I have a dependent and my adjusted income last year was below 10,000. I'm not sure what the top cut off is.

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:55 am

Last edited by horrorbusiness on Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:58 am

horrorbusiness wrote:Hey guys,

hate to necropost and bring this back from the grave, but I have a the same question as the OP which was never actually answered in this thread.

LSAC considers me a dependent (22 y/o), even though i file taxes as independent (if that's relevant). I have a single parent that makes about 30k, and this year i made ~7k.

I'm assuming I'll get the waiver (can't get THAT much poorer than this), but anyone know what the approximate cutoffs are?

I PM'd you

Return to “Financial Aid”