Scholarships at GULC?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Fup
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:15 am

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby Fup » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:22 pm

From the e-mail last Thursday morning:

"We will be making some initial scholarship offers on February 23rd and we’ll be in touch with all of you on that date."

That seems pretty clear to me, and I can't imagine anything would have developed in the last couple days that would require them to take more time. Hurry up, Georgetown!

ScarletHammer88
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:53 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby ScarletHammer88 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:24 pm

Anytime today Georgetown...

pineapples
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:47 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby pineapples » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:24 pm

Howcome so few of you guys have your stats listed in your profiles?

caoyun
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:03 am

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby caoyun » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:25 pm

pineapples wrote:Howcome so few of you guys have your stats listed in your profiles?


Fear of Adcomms trolling the boards, I guess. I'm a bit of a victim of that paranoia too, as my stats are altered.

Fup
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:15 am

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby Fup » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:27 pm

My numbers are unique, so I don't want to be identified.

User avatar
gahhhhhhhhhh
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:29 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby gahhhhhhhhhh » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:28 pm

gahhhhhhhhhh wrote:I wouldn't be at all surprised if we got an e-mail in a few hours letting us know that it will be a few more days a la the admitted students website and the yellow financial aid sheet.

I knew it

Dear gahhhhhhhhhh,

I realize you are waiting to hear back from us today with news on the scholarship front. As you can imagine this year there has been a particularly high demand for financial assistance and the Scholarship Committee is still wrestling with some very difficult decisions.

With apologies, the Committee has asked me to beg your patience for one more day. We promise we will get back to you by close of business tomorrow.

Best,
Andy

User avatar
iceberger
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:24 am

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby iceberger » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:28 pm

Dear [Iceberger],

I realize you are waiting to hear back from us today with news on the scholarship front. As you can imagine this year there has been a particularly high demand for financial assistance and the Scholarship Committee is still wrestling with some very difficult decisions.

With apologies, the Committee has asked me to beg your patience for one more day. We promise we will get back to you by close of business tomorrow.

Best,
Andy




AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

pineapples
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:47 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby pineapples » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:29 pm

gahhhhhhhhhh wrote:
gahhhhhhhhhh wrote:I wouldn't be at all surprised if we got an e-mail in a few hours letting us know that it will be a few more days a la the admitted students website and the yellow financial aid sheet.

I knew it

Dear gahhhhhhhhhh,

I realize you are waiting to hear back from us today with news on the scholarship front. As you can imagine this year there has been a particularly high demand for financial assistance and the Scholarship Committee is still wrestling with some very difficult decisions.

With apologies, the Committee has asked me to beg your patience for one more day. We promise we will get back to you by close of business tomorrow.

Best,
Andy


just got that also...

User avatar
summertimechi
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:45 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby summertimechi » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:29 pm

GRRR

caoyun
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:03 am

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby caoyun » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:31 pm

I haven't gotten it yet, but it makes me sad.

But I'm going to take advantage of it and tell them about my Duke acceptance and the scholarship offer from GW once I get the email. I might as well.

Edit: Just got it.... sending in my email. How disappointing.

ScarletHammer88
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:53 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby ScarletHammer88 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:36 pm

Damn it! I Got the same e-mail and am really hoping to get some cash. I made it pretty clear that i got $75,000 from UCLA and that i would not pay sticker at Georgetown when i could go to UVA with a cheaper cost of living or UPenn for the same price.

User avatar
gahhhhhhhhhh
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:29 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby gahhhhhhhhhh » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:37 pm

...this reflects really poorly on them. I know they receive many, many applications, but they should have an appropriate number of resources to handle all of this. First it was the admitted students website, then the yellow financial aid sheet and now the scholly offers. I'm a huge believer in "writings on the wall," and GULC's inability to effectively deal with its own prescribed deadlines is bolded, italicized and underlined writing.

User avatar
badfish
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:53 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby badfish » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:38 pm

iceberger wrote:Dear [Iceberger],

I realize you are waiting to hear back from us today with news on the scholarship front. As you can imagine this year there has been a particularly high demand for financial assistance and the Scholarship Committee is still wrestling with some very difficult decisions.

With apologies, the Committee has asked me to beg your patience for one more day. We promise we will get back to you by close of business tomorrow.

Best,
Andy




AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH


just got this too, lol like immediately after i posted that i hadn't received anything from gtown today

it's like andy was cruising TLS and knew I was unhappy.

much love brotha

User avatar
mllerustad
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:31 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby mllerustad » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:45 pm

iceberger wrote:AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH


+1

User avatar
mllerustad
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:31 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby mllerustad » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:59 pm

I vote GULC gives all of us $10,000 extra in exchange for emotional distress. :)

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:05 pm

Son of a bitch this is the most dragged out process I've ever heard of............not just you, GTown, but you and your law school brethren....dammit.....

nallard
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:49 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby nallard » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:25 pm

While it's not a huge deal - it does reflect poorly on them. It's not like they even needed to set a firm date - but once they did, it looks bad to delay. Overpromise, underperform is not a smart strategy

Fup
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:15 am

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby Fup » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:35 pm

How hard of a decision can it be? I mean, I could probably allocate all the money in 15 minutes or so. It shouldn't take an entire committee more than a week.

User avatar
MAD1984
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby MAD1984 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:35 pm

Needless to say, the email was a bit of a bummer.


What a tease. :x

User avatar
aspasia
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 4:28 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby aspasia » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:13 pm

Wow guys, chill out. I thought it was nice of him to tell us that it would be pushed back (only one day), and relatively early too (3:30 versus 5:30). I mean, I'm really eager to find out too, but it's only one more day. Besides, compared to most of the t14, Gtown is pretty early on the scholarship front.

Now, if they push it back again tomorrow, I'll be pissed.

caoyun
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:03 am

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby caoyun » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:03 am

Come on Georgetown... I have about an hour to hear from you before I have to go to work! Let's get rolling!

User avatar
Brucewaynegretzky
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:17 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby Brucewaynegretzky » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:04 pm

bump... here's hoping for today! Might as well keep this up front for those of us waiting.

Fup
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:15 am

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby Fup » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:38 pm

So I finally saw that (1) appear in my Gmail tab, and I got excited, and then read the subject line. "Jonah Goldberg to Discuss Obama's Socialist Policies: Last Week to Sign Up." Damn it, back to waiting! Oh well, any subject line is better than "No News Yet."

User avatar
Brucewaynegretzky
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:17 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby Brucewaynegretzky » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:42 pm

They said by the end of the day today so I'm guessing they start rolling out around 5....

User avatar
aspasia
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 4:28 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby aspasia » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:43 pm

Fup wrote:So I finally saw that (1) appear in my Gmail tab, and I got excited, and then read the subject line. "Jonah Goldberg to Discuss Obama's Socialist Policies: Last Week to Sign Up." Damn it, back to waiting! Oh well, any subject line is better than "No News Yet."


I'm having a running email conversation with my sister to wile away the hours (I really wish I had class before 1 today), and even though I know it's almost definitely an email from her, my heart still starts racing every time I see that (1). Arg.




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest