Scholarships at GULC?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
caoyun

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby caoyun » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:30 am

studymaster wrote:
caoyun wrote:
NELAC1987 wrote:I'm an "alternate" for a GULC scholarship. Hope I can move off that list and get some significant money...

GULC doesn't seem to be giving significant money to anyone.
They awarded me 10k, so I sent them an email last week asking if there's an appeals process or anything like that, and they've completely ignored me since. Good luck, though.

Not so
I got 35k a year, tho it was a bit weird how they did it..

I got an award of 83.5k total (on saturday) and then a phone call saying I got the law center award for 35k a year.

Georgetown is definitely giving cornell a run for their money, it's basically down to these two now for me and I have all the way until friday before a deposit is due :) yay deadlines!

Edited: For my lysdexia

I didn't mean that to be iron-clad. Of course, there are a few big offers out there. But they are very few and far between relative to other top schools. Congrats to you, though!

studymaster

Postby studymaster » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:22 pm

caoyun wrote:
studymaster wrote:
caoyun wrote:
NELAC1987 wrote:I'm an "alternate" for a GULC scholarship. Hope I can move off that list and get some significant money...

GULC doesn't seem to be giving significant money to anyone.
They awarded me 10k, so I sent them an email last week asking if there's an appeals process or anything like that, and they've completely ignored me since. Good luck, though.

Not so
I got 35k a year, tho it was a bit weird how they did it..

I got an award of 83.5k total (on saturday) and then a phone call saying I got the law center award for 35k a year.

Georgetown is definitely giving cornell a run for their money, it's basically down to these two now for me and I have all the way until friday before a deposit is due :) yay deadlines!

Edited: For my lysdexia

I didn't mean that to be iron-clad. Of course, there are a few big offers out there. But they are very few and far between relative to other top schools. Congrats to you, though!

Grazie

But I think it's self-selection (my favourite buzz word). This board is pretty vicious in it's GULC hating. I'd imagine some people considering GULC have bit their tongue.

strad83

Postby strad83 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:34 pm

FYI- They are pretty responsive to negotiating if you call. I think they leave a number in the offer letter.

benignuman

Postby benignuman » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:45 pm

GULC gave me a great scholarship too. They were very open to negotiating.

darthvieder

Postby darthvieder » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:29 am

wonderful! thanks for the info..

ValiantVic

Postby ValiantVic » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:51 am

Do these dates still apply to this year? I never got an e-mail from Georgetown about a merit scholarship and feel my numbers would qualify me. Should I contact the admissions office?

js87

Postby js87 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:23 pm

If you do call, please let us know what they say :)

wackadoodle

Postby wackadoodle » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:59 am

ValiantVic wrote:Do these dates still apply to this year? I never got an e-mail from Georgetown about a merit scholarship and feel my numbers would qualify me. Should I contact the admissions office?

I thought the same thing- pretty bummed not to get an interview- any ideas what kind of numbers made the cut? Also has anyone heard anything from the PILS?

stace83

Postby stace83 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:30 am

I just received an email today saying I am under consideration for a scholarship- but no mention of a scholarship application. Do they send out the email first to see if you're still interested and then send out the app? Did anyone else just get the email today?

Eazy E

Postby Eazy E » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:02 pm

I got that e-mail on Tuesday. Basically asked where I am in my decision process, what deadlines I'm looking at, and what dollar figure would sway me towards GULC. I answered honestly, so here's hoping they cough up something.

stace83

Postby stace83 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:31 pm

Same here. After I replied, I got another email asking for a phone interview with someone on the alumni scholarship committee. My interview will be on Monday. So I guess there's no scholarship application we need to fill out first?

Return to “Financial Aid”