Scholarships at GULC?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
User avatar
Elms
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:06 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby Elms » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:43 pm

I got offered 15K, but the deadline is really upsetting me. I won't have a chance to visit NU before the deadline... not sure what to do.

Fup
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:15 am

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby Fup » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:50 pm

Elms wrote:I got offered 15K, but the deadline is really upsetting me. I won't have a chance to visit NU before the deadline... not sure what to do.


I'm sure Georgetown would give you an extension if they were asked.

User avatar
summertimechi
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:45 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby summertimechi » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:06 pm

i was trying to decide whether to ask for an extension or a larger scholarship (I thought both would be too much) and went with the request for more money, so Elms, if you do try for an extension I'd love to see what they say...

also, advice would be nice...i sent GULC a letter already letting them know that I had a nice offer from Texas and asked if i could get a larger scholarship amt and they said they'd see what they could do and get back to me. today i received another offer from Vandy, this one even bigger than the one from Texas. would it be overkill for me to send them a copy of that scholarship letter, too? i just really want them to give me a better offer....i love gtown so much.

User avatar
aaa111
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:03 am

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby aaa111 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:44 pm

5k a year... not going to cut it, even though I love DC. Anyone been very successful in negotiating upward?

NELAC1987
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby NELAC1987 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:41 pm

I got offered zip-zilch-nada at GULC (which I would certainly consider at the right price) after receiving $67k Dean's at Michigan, $78k at Emory, and $72k at Vandy. I sent Georgetown (at which I wasn't even asked to apply for a scholarship) a letter the other day, and they responded, saying that I'll now be considered for a scholarship. I'm very grateful for that, to be sure, but do you think there's any chance they'll beat Michigan's offer?

User avatar
crazyinalabama
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby crazyinalabama » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:05 pm

NELAC1987 wrote:I got offered zip-zilch-nada at GULC (which I would certainly consider at the right price) after receiving $67k Dean's at Michigan, $78k at Emory, and $72k at Vandy. I sent Georgetown (at which I wasn't even asked to apply for a scholarship) a letter the other day, and they responded, saying that I'll now be considered for a scholarship. I'm very grateful for that, to be sure, but do you think there's any chance they'll beat Michigan's offer?


The most it appears anyone has received is $25,000 per year...so I suppose there is a chance. Judging from most of the people on here, including myself, I would say not. I got 84k from Emory, 42k from U of Chicago, and only 30k from GULC.

NELAC1987
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby NELAC1987 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:09 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:
NELAC1987 wrote:I got offered zip-zilch-nada at GULC (which I would certainly consider at the right price) after receiving $67k Dean's at Michigan, $78k at Emory, and $72k at Vandy. I sent Georgetown (at which I wasn't even asked to apply for a scholarship) a letter the other day, and they responded, saying that I'll now be considered for a scholarship. I'm very grateful for that, to be sure, but do you think there's any chance they'll beat Michigan's offer?


The most it appears anyone has received is $25,000 per year...so I suppose there is a chance. Judging from most of the people on here, including myself, I would say not. I got 84k from Emory, 42k from U of Chicago, and only 30k from GULC.


Hm, dismaying, but thanks for the info. Did you try to negotiate at all? Maybe there's a chance that GULC will try to compete with Mich, since I told them I was very interested?

User avatar
jamaicanjynx
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:24 am

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby jamaicanjynx » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:37 pm

Bumping this up...


Has anyone else received scholly$$$ or heard about the Public Interest Scholars Program?

User avatar
pirouette
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:55 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby pirouette » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:43 am

jamaicanjynx wrote:Bumping this up...


Has anyone else received scholly$$$ or heard about the Public Interest Scholars Program?


I'm curious about this as well - I applied for the PILS program a while ago and haven't heard anything...

anonmona
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby anonmona » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:08 pm

jamaicanjynx wrote:Bumping this up...


Has anyone else received scholly$$$ or heard about the Public Interest Scholars Program?


I received an email a couple hours ago telling me I'm a finalist.

User avatar
jamaicanjynx
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:24 am

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby jamaicanjynx » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:57 pm

anonmona wrote:
jamaicanjynx wrote:Bumping this up...


Has anyone else received scholly$$$ or heard about the Public Interest Scholars Program?


I received an email a couple hours ago telling me I'm a finalist.



Congrats and good luck to you!

I'm hoping the e-mails are staggered and I can still get one...A girl can dream can't she ? :D

NELAC1987
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby NELAC1987 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:00 pm

I'm an "alternate" for a GULC scholarship. Hope I can move off that list and get some significant money...

caoyun
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:03 am

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby caoyun » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:17 pm

NELAC1987 wrote:I'm an "alternate" for a GULC scholarship. Hope I can move off that list and get some significant money...


GULC doesn't seem to be giving significant money to anyone. They awarded me 10k, so I sent them an email last week asking if there's an appeals process or anything like that, and they've completely ignored me since. Good luck, though.

User avatar
pirouette
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:55 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby pirouette » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:18 pm

NELAC1987 wrote:I'm an "alternate" for a GULC scholarship. Hope I can move off that list and get some significant money...


How long did they take to respond to your letter? I mailed one as well, but haven't heard a peep.

NELAC1987
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby NELAC1987 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:20 pm

caoyun wrote:
NELAC1987 wrote:I'm an "alternate" for a GULC scholarship. Hope I can move off that list and get some significant money...


GULC doesn't seem to be giving significant money to anyone. They awarded me 10k, so I sent them an email last week asking if there's an appeals process or anything like that, and they've completely ignored me since. Good luck, though.


Too bad. They could potentially snatch me from higher-ranked schools with equal money...

NELAC1987
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby NELAC1987 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:21 pm

pirouette wrote:
NELAC1987 wrote:I'm an "alternate" for a GULC scholarship. Hope I can move off that list and get some significant money...


How long did they take to respond to your letter? I mailed one as well, but haven't heard a peep.


About a week.

User avatar
pirouette
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:55 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby pirouette » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:22 pm

NELAC1987 wrote:
pirouette wrote:
NELAC1987 wrote:I'm an "alternate" for a GULC scholarship. Hope I can move off that list and get some significant money...


How long did they take to respond to your letter? I mailed one as well, but haven't heard a peep.


About a week.


Okay, great. I guess I should be hearing something soon - I hope. Thanks.

NELAC1987
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby NELAC1987 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:22 pm

pirouette wrote:
Okay, great. I guess I should be hearing something soon - I hope. Thanks.


Good luck!

User avatar
jamaicanjynx
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:24 am

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby jamaicanjynx » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:37 pm

Who do you email requests for scholarship consideration to?

User avatar
heyyitskatie
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby heyyitskatie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:46 pm

Anyone know if it's still too late to e-mail them about scholarships?

I just figured that since they didn't tell me anything, I wasn't getting anything.

Also, has anyone heard back from need based grant applications / know if they generally give those out?

AdCommie
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:42 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby AdCommie » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:45 am

Has anybody had success asking them for an extension on that deadline?

halfpancake
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:41 pm

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby halfpancake » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:51 am

Are people still hearing back about scholarships? I was accepted in December and haven't heard anything. Should I expect nothing from G-Town or should I keep on waiting?

caoyun
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:03 am

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby caoyun » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:49 pm

AdCommie wrote:Has anybody had success asking them for an extension on that deadline?


I had emailed them to ask for more money awhile ago. They finally got back to me yesterday. They'll let me know by April 3. And more relevantly, I have an extension until some time shortly after then. It's not much of an extension, though.

User avatar
studymaster
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:09 am

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby studymaster » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:57 pm

caoyun wrote:
NELAC1987 wrote:I'm an "alternate" for a GULC scholarship. Hope I can move off that list and get some significant money...


GULC doesn't seem to be giving significant money to anyone.
They awarded me 10k, so I sent them an email last week asking if there's an appeals process or anything like that, and they've completely ignored me since. Good luck, though.


Not so
I got 35k a year, tho it was a bit weird how they did it..

I got an award of 83.5k total (on saturday) and then a phone call saying I got the law center award for 35k a year.

Georgetown is definitely giving cornell a run for their money, it's basically down to these two now for me and I have all the way until friday before a deposit is due :) yay deadlines!

Edited: For my lysdexia

tripu11
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:16 am

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby tripu11 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:58 am

.
Last edited by tripu11 on Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest